PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a fan and balanced character...

Kerilstrasz
2014-04-03, 02:53 PM
I fall victim of my own overoptimizing skills...
in the current campaign im playing i have a domain wizard (lvl11 at the moment).
as i dig through my books and my options i came to a point that i can easy break the campaign.
i dont like that, i want to have fun.. the problem is that due to my characters creating choices it is either break the game or stand there doing nothing...
i haven't yet talk with my DM about this but i know that the response will be "ok if you think that is the case,roll a new character"

So.. i come to you for suggestions & ideas about new character options... classes, progression, feats etc..

What i want:
a class with No or at least minor spellcasting abilities.
a class with less book keeping possible

My party has:
a well built fighter/kensai that is the main dmg dealer (he lands 60 dmg minimum per hit unbuffed, maximum can reach 200 per hit at the moment)
an extremely well build trapmonkey rogue
a save or die druid with good summoning capabilities
and a cleric that can heal almost everything, can buff and tank pretty large numbers of damage.

i realize that my wiz is what the group is missing, but i find myself drowning under endless pages of spells, possibilities etc etc
i have to spend like 48 hours of out of play preparation for each session and that is getting too much for me..
also i end up get all of the "spotlight" and i realize that this is frustrating at best for the rest of the group..

So.. what can you suggest to me?

my initial thoughts for the base class were : ranger, warlock or fighter
i ll focus on as little utility i can with my main concern to be ranged combat.
but still.. my brains "Ram memory" is still filled with endless lists of spells from my wiz, and i cant really reach into a good idea..

i hope my english(not my native language) isn't that bad, and you can understand me and share my discomfort.

Thank you all for your time

Particle_Man
2014-04-03, 05:28 PM
Warlock is a good choice for "no paperwork" magic using types. There might come a little later with making magic items though. Dragonfire adept might be another option - some breath stuff, some invocations, and hey, dragonesque!

Another option is to forego arcane magic or invocations and play a single-classed crusader with nothing but white raven maneuvers and stances. This won't be too powerful, and your fellow fighters (and summoned critters of the druid) will *love* you using your abilities to give them extra bonuses to hit, damage, move actions, attacks and even turns (via moving their initiative count via white raven tactics)! Basically, your spotlight power is to give other warriors more spotlight power. If you hate the crusader recovery mechanic you can do a similar thing with Warblade.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-04-03, 06:13 PM
I honestly came here expecting to see a character who had somehow transformed into a sentient fan and focused on buffing the hell out of the balance skill.

... Aaaanyway. Particle_Man's Crusader suggestion is good, but if you have access to the Spell Compendium, Ranger is better than Warlock. It gets even more swell when you add in stuff like Wildshape and Mystic variants plus certain feats and substitution levels, but I think you were trying NOT to overshadow everything that moves. So yeah, straight Ranger or, better yet, Cleric/Prestige Ranger, should be enough for you all by itself build-wise.

CombatOwl
2014-04-03, 06:52 PM
i realize that my wiz is what the group is missing, but i find myself drowning under endless pages of spells, possibilities etc etc
i have to spend like 48 hours of out of play preparation for each session and that is getting too much for me..
also i end up get all of the "spotlight" and i realize that this is frustrating at best for the rest of the group..

Build a blaster sorcerer. You don't have as many options, fill a related role in the party, have things to be doing in a fight, and won't dominate the battlefield. Your choices really end up boiling down to what element you want to put in what shape--way less bookkeeping than wizard. While sorcerers can be stupidly powerful, blasting sorcerers aren't the way to do it.

Anachronity
2014-04-03, 06:55 PM
Binder would be my choice. You would have to learn their mechanics, but they have only one book's worth of material. The only vestiges outside of ToM are online (and I think there might have been one in Dragon Magic). A lot of their abilities are only useable once per 5 rounds, so that means you also get to switch it up round-by-round rather than "I run up and hit it with my sword". Even so, they are surprisingly versatile and you will rarely feel useless for longer than it takes you to swap out vestiges.

EDIT: Although if you do go for online vestiges I would avoid Zercyll. She is by far the strongest non-epic vestige and her summon monster shenanigans would require a significant amount of book keeping.