PDA

View Full Version : Buying Experience Points (with gold)

Yogibear41
2014-04-03, 07:10 PM
Are there any methods that a character could use to basically transform gold or treasure or income of any kind into experience points? Before the Xp is a River and wealth by level arguments come in, in this particular case none of that applies, and I have ways to make tons of gold over time with a character who has over 1200 years remaining in his life span, and being the highly intelligent creature he is he would much rather find away to increase his power without putting himself in danger of death, he can cast spells as a 5th level wizard if that helps in anyway.

Rubik
2014-04-03, 07:17 PM
Well, if you buy various magic items, this is doable, in a roundabout way. For instance, buying a power stone (or Soul Crystal) of True Mind Switch can give you a body with lots of HD, the same if you can buy power stones of Fusion and Astral Seed. You could also pay some "tame" lycanthropes to infect you safely, then character rebuild those racial HD into class levels. Obtain a Wish, which you then use on a thought bottle, which is attuned to you, with many more XP than your current total. You could also hire people which you then face off with. So long as each encounter is within 8 CRs of you, and you succeed at besting them, you should gain XP. Just ensure the challenges are nonlethal.

holywhippet
2014-04-03, 07:21 PM
Any method will require DM approval but I'd hire experienced opponents to dual against you. If you manage to beat them you gain experience. Since you are worried about death I'd have a cleric on hand with a revivify spell memorised and ready to go. If you or your opponent take lethal damage have them cast it. Won't work if you get hit by something like disintegrate though.

Telonius
2014-04-03, 09:16 PM
This would only be for crafting purposes. Book of Vile Darkness allows the use of souls, as well as Liquid Pain, to take the place of XP for crafting. A particularly awful way to do this would be to find an Incarnate or two who've shaped a Strongheart Vest, give them a Nipple Clamp of Exquisite Pain, and hook them up to a Pain Extractor. Expensive, but each one will be blissfully producing 3XP worth of crafting per day. :xykon:

Metahuman1
2014-04-03, 09:46 PM
Alternatively book of exhualted deeds fires back with Distilled Joy, which makes Ambrosia, which can be used to replace XP when crafting. Make a few traps and set up a brothel. Boom.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-03, 09:50 PM
Not to mention the Wizards article about Transferrence (The item, the spell, the ritual):
"If an NPC is able and willing to transfer the XP cost for creating a magic item, the compensation for this service is 5 gp per 1 XP, paid in advance. While XP is an abstract concept to NPCs, this is the minimum amount that will be accepted. A greedy NPC who is "in character" will likely ask for even more gold, especially if they fulfill multiple requirements for transferring XP."

Adverb
2014-04-04, 12:26 AM
Farm roleplay XP.

LTwerewolf
2014-04-04, 12:32 AM
Any method will require DM approval but I'd hire experienced opponents to dual against you. If you manage to beat them you gain experience. Since you are worried about death I'd have a cleric on hand with a revivify spell memorised and ready to go. If you or your opponent take lethal damage have them cast it. Won't work if you get hit by something like disintegrate though.

Don't use a cleric, use a druid and have them use last breath. Mostly the same but without the expensive component, so you're spending more cash on the fights than you are on the resurrection if you lose.