PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Prices [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Plerumque
2014-04-03, 09:00 PM
Chapter I: Everything Must Go

Day dawns early and beautifully in Elbe, rosy light painting the sky in streaks of red and orange as the chorus of roosters begins to crow- one ending abruptly in a muffled squawk and burst of feathers; the roosters haven't yet learned not to roost on the tower of the late-rising town wizard. The sunrise illuminates three figures, each having woken early this day: the town's blacksmith, the town's hostler, and the town's tragedy. None of them know that this will be the last day of their life- although some may hope for that every day. None of them know that if they see the sunrise again tomorrow, it will be as a different person.

Erik Vale
2014-04-03, 09:29 PM
'Stable, check the horses. Kennels, check the dogs. Breakfast. Check all the animals. What was today?'
Borris stared at the calender he had made, words almost swimming in front of his eyes, it'd been a bad night.
'Ok... Got an hour till the captain comes around for his new dogs, I can get cleaned up... Clubs shined and Armors already oiled so I shouldn't need to do that...'
Borris shook his head.
"No... No need to dress up. Just the captain. Rest of the day's free, set as my rest day... My last keg's almost dry... I'll have to see the barkeep... I'll have to brush down Farah though, captain likes her too much, doesn't even notice how skittish she is around him..."

With that, Borris set to getting himself cleaned up for the day, at some point deciding to go to the market to see if anyone needed animals trained or was interested in buying.
"Yea, I know you're getting bored here pup."
Borris reached down absentmindedly to pat a sheep dog's pup. It'd been a hard birth, only pup to survive and no mother, the poor pup had been left in his care a while ago.

Prehysterical
2014-04-03, 10:11 PM
Another day, another sunrise. The beauty of the morning is lost on Azur as he rises from his makeshift bed in the smithy. It was not long before the banging of hammer on metal, a sound that, despite its intensity, fills the citizens of Elbe with relief. Their own blacksmith had fallen ill a short while ago and there had been worry that the town guard would go without new arms or repairs. While the quality of goods he produced was admired, his surliness and irreverence had earned him no real love from the people.

Azur continued to swing his hammer onto the glowing metal blade, his swings developing into a tempo. This would be a new blade to replace one of the lesser quality, older blades of the guard. Occasionally, his twisted imagination would see a shrieking demonic face in the glow of the metal. It would take an effort of will not to swing with all his might and sunder his creation.

Damn you. Is it not enough that I see you in my dreams?

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Azur wondered how long he would stay before he would tire of Elbe, as he had of every place before. The lack of true purpose was beginning to affect him and his work; he could not think of a time before when he had grown weary of practicing his talent. Quenching the blade in a water barrel, he knew that only one thing was for certain: someday things would have to change, or he might risk losing his mind.

Deathslayer7
2014-04-04, 05:08 PM
David lowered his head closer to the sink and splashed cold water into his face to wake himself up. He drank a little too much last night as always, but he no longer had headaches or pains. Those were gone within a month when he first started drinking. Finishing up with his cleaning he gurgled some water to try to clean the smell of alcohol from his breath and spit it back into the sink. Finished, he drained the sink and went downstairs. Connor already had breakfast made and ready. Seeing David coming downstairs, he shouted into the kitchen to bring out a breakfast.

David sat silently at a table waiting for his food. He didn't have to wait too long before Sara came by with a platter. Two eggs, two slices of toast and a piece of bacon sat on the plate with a cup of water. His usual. His favorite. Sometimes the meat changed depending on what was available, but he had no complains.

Thank you. He says to Sara smiling. She smiles back but doesn't say anything. She knew who he was. There wasn't much conversation to be had. He stared as she walked backed through the swing door to the kitchen. He then saw Connor frowning at him from the corner of his eye. Not wanting to draw anymore attention to himself, he looked down at his plate and began eating. Others came in but for the most part, it was just him in the inn. Everyone else was having breakfast at home.

Finishing his plate, he got up and left it on the table. He thought about the first time he tried to bring the plate back to the kitchen so they wouldn't worry about having to clean it up. Instead he got yelled at by Connor for being back there. He He promised not to do it again. So now he just left it on the table. Sara eventually got around to cleaning it up. He was sure of it.

Heading back upstairs, he packed his backpack with water and some food. Enough to tide him over for lunch till he got back here for dinner. He then picked up his axe and inspected it. It had gotten wedged while he was trying to cut down a tree. He had to use a lot of force to get it out. Now it had become slightly bent. He would have to take it to Azur before he could start working.

Sighing, he got up reluctantly and headed out towards the blacksmith. It took him only a few minutes to get there. He saw smoke already rising. It seems others were already hard at work as well. He reached the door and knocked loudly. AZUR? he called questioningly into the air. There wasn't a need for him to do that though. He saw Azur standing in front of a barrel of water quenching a blade. He waited for the man to finish.

Prehysterical
2014-04-06, 11:18 AM
Looking up, Azur saw the local lumberjack David waiting patiently for him. Out of all the people in the village, David was one of the few people that Azur felt any kind of connection with, however faintly that might be. The look in his eyes spoke of a melancholy and loss that Azur himself often felt.

Looking down at the bent axe held in David's hands, the blacksmith snorts. "You all should have found a new blacksmith a long time ago. The tempering on everything he forges is second-rate at best. Lean it on a post and I'll get to it after finishing this blade. I'll have to reforge and retemper the axe; no amount of hammering is going to fix that. I might even have to rehandle the damn thing. That will take at least a couple of hours. Check back in a while and I might have it ready for you." Sitting down on a stool, Azur lays the blade on his apron-clad knees and takes a small block of wood from a nearby workbench. A small knife soon begins whittling away at the small wooden block.

Deathslayer7
2014-04-07, 02:26 PM
David nodded. He was afraid of that. Well without an axe, he couldn't go to work. So if it wouldn't be ready until a few hours, he had time to kill. But he still had the final dreaded question. How much will it be? he asks. I don't have a lot of money, but I can pay part in coin and part in wood for your fire. If that is okay with you.he adds in quickly.

Prehysterical
2014-04-07, 04:09 PM
Looking up from his carving, Azur replies, "I don't know yet. Depends on how much work it takes to fix it. Don't trouble yourself, David. I always offer reasonable prices. Perhaps you can use the time off to visit that Sara girl I have seen you eying. A pretty lass, that one."

Erik Vale
2014-04-07, 07:38 PM
Borris cursed thoroughly.
Before he could attach Farah's horse shoes, he noticed some had been resting in a little water. His roof decided it would spring a leak and now it was rusted. He couldn't attach it, so Farah went shoeles, and then the captain noticed and saw fit to point it out with a surprising amount of mockery, whilst subtly threatening to take her.
"Doesn't the idiot know I'm best to care for her... I'm out of nails and that rust isn't going to come out... I needed to get more shoes anyway. I can let him know, look around the market, and then go hunting. The north section should be fine, just wish I didn't keep loosing my iron club caps..."

Borris began his walk into town, a bag flung over his back.

Deathslayer7
2014-04-09, 02:34 PM
David eyes Azur. A small flame of anger was briefly ignited within him but he extinguished it within a fraction of a second. Azur was young, too young, too know the full details of what had happened over 20 years ago. He was just jesting rather then meaning to be rude. David let it go. A random thought crossed David's mind if Azur were to marry Sara. David would approve. Azur had a good heart and a decent occupation. He shook his head to clear his mind.

I'm afraid I'm a rather too old for her tastes. But perhaps you.... David says trailing off and at the same time turning the table on Azur. Have you got your eyes set on any pretty lasses? Perhaps Sara? he asks, a smile appearing on his face.

Prehysterical
2014-04-09, 04:12 PM
Now it was Azur's turn to feel angry at the question. His good-natured grin melts away and reforms into a cold grimace as bad memories resurface. Setting the block of wood down, he holds up his left hand for David to see. A simple gold ring adorns his ring finger. Azur knew that David could not have known, but it still took an effort not to take offense.

"I already have a wife."

Retrieving his block of wood, Azur focuses his complete attention on getting it to the point where he can slip it over the handle of the sword. Anything to keep him from thinking about Lyandra and what might have happened to her. So long as he didn't see the body, there was a sliver of hope. His manner makes it clear that the conversation is at an end.

Deathslayer7
2014-04-09, 05:38 PM
Ah crap.... David thinks. This was supposed to be an easy light-hearted conversation, not an awkward one. Though in his mind, he should have known. He had heard rumors. Nothing concrete though. He could tell by Azur's manner and focus on work that the conversation was over. He didn't want to leave it like this though. He sets the axe down on a table, knowing Azur will get around to it and turns to leave.

As he is leaving, he looks back at Azur. Sorry. Is all he says. There is genuine grief in his voice but no pity. He was sure Azur had had enough pity in his lifetime to not need more. He doesn't stay long enough see if Azur looked up from his work or not. Stepping outside he stops. He had no idea what to do with this free time. He didn't want to go back to the inn just yet. After a moment, his feet started towards the market. He wasn't going to buy anything, but it never hurt to look.

Plerumque
2014-04-11, 10:12 PM
At this time of the day, most of the market stalls have been set up, although few buyers are there to take avail of them. The merchants are talking and laughing among themselves in between hawking their wares to those inspecting the carts. One spots David before the others, and calls out loudly, "Why, sir, I see you have returned seeking our fine goods! I assure you that my family and I got much use over this past winter from the wood you bartered for that quilt. I don't suppose you wish to make a similar arrangement today?" He smiles winningly, gesturing towards the assortment of bolts of dyed wool, garment samples, and other cloth products that make up his merchandise. Other peddlers, seeing a new target, turn from their conversations and begin shouting about their low prices and unmatched quality.

Erik Vale
2014-04-11, 10:50 PM
Borris walks through the stalls, a critical eye looking for exactly what he wants. Anyone with a spare set of horseshoes. Basically ignoring everything else as he keeps up polite conversation... Barely.
'What's David doing here? His axe must be out... Perhaps I can convince him to go hunting with me after I find some shoes for Farah... I'll probably have to set an order with Azur... Surely there's a horse trader here somewhere!'
Borris slowly makes his way throughout the market, his pace slowing as he become more frustrated.

Plerumque
2014-04-12, 06:54 AM
There is one merchant, a ragged-looking peddler of scrap iron and other junk, who does have a pair of horseshoes on display. He ***** his head as Borris approaches. "Ah, Mr. Stablehand. Need something?" One side of his mouth curves up in a sly smile.

Erik Vale
2014-04-14, 08:31 PM
Borris gives the man a once over, normally he'd avoid the peddler like a hound with rabies on a hunt, but he had horse shoes.
"Yes I do. Any chance I can give those horseshoes there a once over? My barn's sprung a leak which was just above where I was storing mine."
Borris speaks rather carefully, the peddler can probably tell he's annoyed at the shoes getting rusted.

Plerumque
2014-04-14, 08:48 PM
The merchant tsks. "Shoddy work, I tell you. Give a carpenter an inch and he'll take a mile. But I know you have more integrity than that, Mr. Stablehand." He appraises Borris narrowly, then waves his hand. "Go ahead."

Prehysterical
2014-04-14, 09:05 PM
It takes a little bit, but eventually Azur fits the wooden handle to the new blade and binds it in good leather. He looks over the shining new blade, inspecting his latest product.

Not my best work, but not bad either. In his mind's eye, he could already see the guard admiring his new blade like a child eyes a new toy. The thought is enough to bring a small smile to his lips. It was almost funny how he made people happy by giving them new weapons. I guess that something about the state of things, now doesn't it?

Turning away from his philosophizing, Azur regards David's axe with a critical eye. I had better get to work on that. David's always behind on money, and what is a woodsman without an axe? Soon the blade is removed from the handle, which had apparently splintered underneath it. How many more swings would it have been before the head went flying off?

Heating the blade within the forge and pounding away with his hammer, Azur's mood begins to lighten. Making new things was satisfying, but mending that which was broken always had a therapeutic effect on him. He thought fondly of the time a noble had asked him to repair his family's greatsword, and the grateful look he had given afterwards. If only everything was as easy to mend as steel...

With the axe head done, Azur scrounges around for a new handle. He himself had not made any, but he knew that any blacksmith worth his coal kept some around. When he finally did find them, however, Azur's face twisted in fury. Apparently, the local blacksmith did keep a supply, but he had left them in a barrel outside the smithy. It had rained a couple of days ago and, without protective oil or a lid for cover, much of the wood had gone to rot. The young man kicks over the barrel in a display of temper.

"Damn it all to Hell, old man!"

Breathing heavily, he realizes that he will have to run to the market to get some new wood. Normally, most people just asked David when they needed wood, but that wouldn't work this time, now would it?!

Struggling to control his anger, Azur makes for the marketplace.

Plerumque
2014-04-16, 04:56 PM
Instead of greeting him like an old friend, the merchants fall respectfully silent when Azur approaches. He's still an unknown to many of the townsfolk, and most of those who do know him fear his temper and unpredictable moods. One of the sellers eventually speaks up. "Need something, sir?" she asks, curtsying.

Prehysterical
2014-04-16, 07:11 PM
Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Azur responds, "As it so happens, yes. Does anyone here have a good supply of yew? It would seem that I am currently out of handle wood for my axes, shovels, and all the other tools that I forge. If any of you have anything good, I would be willing to pay well for it."

And before you even ask, yes, I have already asked David."

Plerumque
2014-04-16, 08:51 PM
The woman who stepped up raises an eyebrow. "And he didn't have any? That's a bit odd, I've always known David to have fairly reliable stock. Well, if you don't mind a refurbished handle, I'm sure someone here can provide, and if you wish to craft it yourself then Alexios the carpenter always has a few different kinds of wood. I'm afraid I'll be of no service," she says, gesturing to the collection of strange toys and knickknacks laid out on her table, "but I hope you find what you're looking for." She smiles with only a moment's hesitation and sits back down behind the display.

Plerumque
2014-05-01, 08:32 PM
Chapter II: No Refunds

The next morning, Borris wakes up with a splitting headache, the events of the previous evening swimming vaguely in his head in a disjointed blob of color and sound, and someone knocking insistently at his door. Azur, upon waking, is filled with visions of a more sober kind, a mind aflame with visions of the most perfect sword he has ever seen, alight with bitter flame, with chains around the hilt.

Erik Vale
2014-05-01, 08:53 PM
There's only so much rolling over on a hard wooden floor you can do before you realize a fairly simple fact.
There is no comfortable position on a wooden floor.
'Why am I on the floor?..'
After a moment longer Borris groans out slightly louder than he would normally speak.
"Come in... If it's locked just hold it..."

Slowly he begins the process of prying himself off the floor and applying himself to a wall, hand against it as he walks towards the door, head facing down and away from any windows.

Prehysterical
2014-05-01, 09:07 PM
Was it... all just a dream?

Looking underneath his blacksmithing apron, Azur sees the chain bound to his chest. It takes him a moment to realize that his clothes and the surface he is sleeping on are covered in a light layer of hoarfrost.

So, it was real...

Azur lays still for a moment, holding his hand out before him. Then he laughs. And laughs. His laughter thunders with promised vengeance and sadistic joy.

Searching hastily through the metal stores of the smithy, Azur's eyes finally find their target: a few bars of cold iron, begging to be made into something great.

Barely a few minutes after waking, the smith stokes the flame of the forge and soon the banging of his hammer rings out earlier than usual. It is the loudest it has ever been, as Azur seeks to finish his finest creation. A fierce grin is present on his lips as he pounds away at the cowering demon faces. There will be no holding back this time.

Plerumque
2014-05-02, 11:33 PM
A man Borris recognizes- Arron Carver- opens the door and slips inside, closing it hastily behind him. "Borris, what the hell did you do?" he asks, searching for the bolt to the door.

As Azur finishes forging the blade, some time later, he knows it is his greatest creation, both of a combination of personal skill, furious focus, and infernal power. And as he holds it aloft, it bursts into bright flame, and the prospective customer walking into his forge utters an expletive.

Erik Vale
2014-05-02, 11:41 PM
Borris looks wearily in Arron's direction.
"Get reaally, reaally drunk... I think. Why?"

Prehysterical
2014-05-03, 12:20 AM
As he beheld the newcomer with his new pupilless yellow orbs, Azur bares his teeth in a shockingly white grin.

"Sorry, but the smithy is now closed. Good luck finding a replacement."

Struck by a peculiar notion, Azur places the blade on his back. The chain on his chest surprises him by twisting and snaking to hold the blade in a rudimentary sheath. Grasping a nearby hanging chain, it swiftly grows all manner of spines, bards, and hooks. Azur drapes the new addition across his torso, forming it into a morbid bandolier. Despite how wicked its barbs are, none of them prick his skin.

Stepping past the shaken customer, the new chain devil marches out into the street, heading for the north gate.

It's going to be a long walk... but it will be worth it.

Plerumque
2014-05-03, 07:50 AM
"Borris, you burned the tavern down," Arron whispers. "I don't know how you did it, but John Alveston was hurt in the conflagration. He's being treated by a healer. She's not sure he's going to make it. I don't think anyone else saw you- you looked awful strange, sitting there sipping at your drink while flames lapped at your skin. I don't know how- some meddling wizard, maybe. But even if no one else knows, we have to get you out of town while things cool down. I believe you're innocent, Borris, but if anyone else puts two and two together, you're better off away. John was well-liked in this city. I... I liked him too." He wipes at his eyes. "I'll need an explanation, but for now I owe you at least this much. Follow me. You can come back for your things later." He steps outside and stops short at the sight of Azur making his way down the street. And Borris feels the faintest trace of a whisper in his muzzy head: Now will you believe me?

Erik Vale
2014-05-03, 08:12 AM
Few things can bring a man to stone cold sober at a moments notice... This was one.
"I burned down a tavern... I couldn't have... I..."
Borris lent with his back to the wall, brow furrowed, gowing through the last day... And then there's the voice.
"... Fey whispers in a bright forest!" Borris slammed his head back against the wall, then back forward because it was solid wood, holding his head as he continued cursing.
"There... A fey visited me last night, I thought it was some wizard or some such playing a practical joke... I accepted a gift... I accepted a fey's gift and I don't even remember walking out the bloody door!"
Borris immediately goes to open the door.
"Yes... I got to get out, tell the town wizard, but if you can put two and two together so can the captain once word reaches him, I just need to grab Farah... And my hunting pack... Give me a moment then I'll follow you."
Borris immediately heads to the stables without looking back, opening up the barn to get to Farah, who suddenly becomes rather nervous...
'Dammit. Whatever you are you're not taking her away as well... I'm going to find you, and then I'm going to... Going to... Dammit.'
After a moment he's leading out his horse.

Plerumque
2014-05-03, 09:09 AM
Arron looks at Azur and back at Borris. "Borris, what in the name of Vecna's head is going on? A fey came to see you?? Did he visit our blacksmith as well? What has he burned down?" He laughs, but it is sour and bitter. "I'll find the sheriff and keep him occupied for the moment. You concentrate on getting the hell out of here. Send me a letter, when you're safe, and you can come back once things aren't so worrisome. Maybe see if you can get your fey friend Azur out of here too, before the people lynch him. No more death today." With that, he heads off in the opposite direction.

Erik Vale
2014-05-03, 07:28 PM
"I will. Thank you."
Borris turns, leading Farah through the town, trying to look like it was any other day, and trying to think of some sort of excuse should he be waylaid... He was heading through the north gate.... Henderson!.. Old Man Henderson wanted.... Check up on his dog, it's been acting strange, yea... He lived a fair while away, that would do.

Plerumque
2014-05-04, 07:08 PM
Borris and Azur meet at the north gate, one wrapped in barbs and links of chain and with a vicious-looking blade slung across his back, the other bleary-eyed and leading a fine horse.

Prehysterical
2014-05-05, 10:07 PM
As the two of them meet at the northern gate, Azur's vengeful, gleeful focus is broken by the sight of a vaguely familiar figure leading his horse. However, something seems... off about him. Something that Azur didn't particularly like. Still, the man looked in a miserable enough state that there was no need to place more stress on him. Finally, the former blacksmith remembers as he regards the other man.

"...Borris? Borris Stablehand? You look like you've had a rough morning. Off for a little ride outside?"

Erik Vale
2014-05-06, 08:37 PM
Borris sounds a little meek when he talks, half moving Farah between himself and Azur...
"Yes, I got on the wrong end of a Fey it seems and I don't think I should be around here at the moment... What happened to you."

Prehysterical
2014-05-06, 08:47 PM
A fey... The very word instills loathing and disgust in Azur. Still, Borris can hardly be faulted for being a victim of such whimsical creatures.

He replies simply,"I made a deal, so my time here is done. I'm heading north to settle an old score."

Here Azur hesitates for a slight moment, as if from some inner struggle.

"...If you're heading out as well, we might as well stick together. I've been hearing things lately about monsters striking from nowhere. It does no good to be alone outside of town."

Erik Vale
2014-05-06, 09:24 PM
"No it wouldn't... Wait, you made a deal to? What fey would make you look li-... There could be others."
Borris looks over his shoulder towards the town, brow furrowed.

Prehysterical
2014-05-06, 09:32 PM
Azur's air of camaraderie evaporates after Borris speaks. His face breaks into a snarl and the chains on his body slither and rattle in sympathy with his feelings.

"You made a deal with a fey?! You blundering oaf! Never trust the word of the fairyfolk! And what do you mean, there could be others?"

Erik Vale
2014-05-06, 10:06 PM
Borris's face suddenly becomes darker and more sinister as he bites back.
"And you didn't? Besides, I know that, and I'm fully expecting the captain to come riding up..."
Borris shakes his head, which immediately returns to normal.
"Well. I made a deal. You made a deal. Who knows how many other poor fools did."

Prehysterical
2014-05-07, 10:26 AM
As Azur glances back at the rest of the town, Borris's words finally click.

Other deals... things are being set in motion, all right. But if fey and devils have already visited mortals, then that must mean...

Looking back to Borris, Azur says, "We need to get moving. If other deals have been going on in this village, it won't take long before things start to fall apart. But before we head out, let's make a deal: I will keep your bargain secret if you agree to do the same for me."

Azur extends his hand out to Borris to shake.

Erik Vale
2014-05-07, 09:51 PM
For a moment Borris stares at Azur... He'd always been the sort to keep his deals, and he doubted whatever bargain he made changed that.
Borris took Azur's hand and shook it hard.
"We have an accord... I would like to know what you bargained with though, because it doesn't look like a fey 'blessing'."
Borris looks to Farah.
"I would stay to help, but perhaps leaving would be safer... Farah can carry two though the saddle will be tight."
With that Borris turns to Farah, mounting quickly.

Prehysterical
2014-05-07, 10:18 PM
For a moment, Azur is surprised by the offer. Most people he had met over the years would not have shared a mount. Accepting Borris's hand up and stepping up, the former blacksmith settles in behind Borris.

"A devil came to me in my dreams and offered me a chance to find the demons that killed my family. He has no love for demons either. Once I find the monsters, I will scourge their filthy hides before I send them screaming back to the outer realms. But that is a long way north..."

Erik Vale
2014-05-07, 11:11 PM
Borris nods slowly as he guides Farah to a trot.
"Well then. If you think you can add a fey to the list I'm sure we can work together for a long while..."

Plerumque
2014-05-12, 05:12 PM
The pair travel for a few days, camping in the woods under trees that shield them from the wind and the rain. Through a combination of what little food they brought with them and what nature provides, they manage to, if not thrive exactly, at least survive. On the evening of the fourth day, shortly after Borris and Azur have settled by a creek, they notice a disturbance in the water, a green flash beneath the surface. An instant later, a creature rises, shedding water like a glimmering cloak. She stands about two feet tall, with pale green scales and hair the color of moss down her back. She wears a gown made out of woven kelp, shells, and strands of pearls, and her eyes are of untarnished silver. "Good evening," she says, in a musical voice that nevertheless has a trace of an unsettling buzz behind it.

Erik Vale
2014-05-15, 05:59 PM
Borris' eyes open wide, he almost stands back from where he's seated putting flint to steel above wood as night-time comes. Farah however doesn't restrain herself, pulling against her rope which is tide around a tree.
One thing the duo has noticed, is that unless he controls it, whatever 'blessing' the fey bestowed upon Borris seems to have allowed him to shape ****, causing his whole body to change rather than for him to show more common expressions [much to his everlasting disgust/concern and attempts to control], right now he has shrunk somewhat, his eyes widening, then his body returns to normal size but with skin the colour of brown wood and a hidden face, then back to normal, with his version of a poker face which isn't soo good. Slowly he brings himself to his knees facing the... woman thing.

"Good eve my lady, I had no clue you settled here."

Plerumque
2014-05-15, 08:07 PM
"I don't," she says. "I come as emissary. My lord wishes to convey this message." She clears her throat. "Do you believe me now?" She smiles, the almost predatory curve of her lips offsetting the beauty of her appearance. "I am authorized to bring a return message if you wish."

Prehysterical
2014-05-15, 08:26 PM
Azur sits off to the side, staying silent as he absorbs this new information. The fey's presence, however, is enough to set his chains slithering and his yellow eyes blazing with restrained bloodlust.

Erik Vale
2014-05-15, 09:10 PM
"I have a message. No, I believe I'm a wizard who's just spent years dedicated to learning his powers, and would like to thank you for your tutelage at a later date."
To say his words drip with sarcasm and anger is only not true because the two aren't physical substances.
Meanwhile, Borris has taken to glaring at the women while he stands up rather ridged.

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 06:27 AM
The fey looks slightly puzzled. "As you wish," she says, bowing and taking a step back into the river. "I don't think my master will believe it, but if that is the message you wish for me to carry I will do so."

Erik Vale
2014-05-16, 06:56 AM
"Should he not believe in the existence of human anger or sarcasm, then he is more a gnome than a fey... I have given you the message I desire."
Borris stares at the fey.

After the Fey disperses Borris begins packing up camp.
"I know you don't mind because you suddenly don't need to sleep, but I think I'd like to rest somewhere less likely for fey to... They're natures spirits... F***! I bet those of hell had a laugh good enough to interrupt their torturing of the damned."
Borris stops, and then re-breaks camp.
"I doubt I'll be able to sleep easy tonight..."

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 03:24 PM
The fey curtsies without further comment and executes a graceful dive into the brook, causing not even a ripple.

Prehysterical
2014-05-19, 11:08 PM
Azur regards Borris with new respect as his chains settle from the fey's appearance. "I begin to think that entering the forest may not have been the wisest idea, given how things are. Perhaps it would be better if we make for the mountains. I know not of any fey who enjoy bare stone."

Erik Vale
2014-05-19, 11:42 PM
"I didn't think they liked comming into towns either, and I've a feeling there might be some sort of stone fey..."
Borris sighs.
"But it's what I was thinking anyway... Yea we'll move on a little bit more before we break camp... On foot though, I don't want to be straining Farah too much."
He begins packing up camp.

Plerumque
2014-05-24, 10:20 PM
Random encounter: [roll0] 15 or higher means an encounter happens.

The duo travel for several more days without further interference, changing course slightly and heading more through the mountains. Quickly a routine is established of riding all day then breaking camp, hunting for food and sleeping, wondering each night if another visitor will come. About a week after leaving Elbe, they reach the outskirts of Sandora, where the forest clinging to the mountainsides parts and reveals a massive wall with spires and roofs visible above it. Two armed guards stand in front of the gate, and several more patrol along the top of the wall.

Erik Vale
2014-05-24, 10:44 PM
Borris slows Farah eventually bringing her to a halt, he then looks back at Azur... Then forward... After a moment he nods a couple of times. Then feels around at his side before nodding again.
"Yes. I knew I brought my coin purse... Uhhh. I've a feeling your new... Form won't be so welcome if you show off the chains and everything, can you hide them?"

Prehysterical
2014-05-24, 11:08 PM
While Azur is loathe to hide his gifts, he can see the rationale behind Borris's words. Closing his eyes and concentrating, he breathes out slowly. The chains sheathing his greatsword and wrapped around his torso rearrange themselves, hiding beneath the apron and clothing that Azur has worn since the beginning of their exodus. If one were to look at him, they would assume that the former blacksmith had put on a bit of weight. Azur bends down to grasp his fallen greatsword and lean it over his shoulder, regarding Borris with his pupiless yellow eyes.

"Is this better?"

Erik Vale
2014-05-24, 11:53 PM
Borris slowly nods.
"... Yea. However try not to look into anyone's eyes... And think of a good story for your eyes... I dunno, jaundice, family curse, a member of the family tree you never say the name of many generations ago... I dunno. Should we dismount on approach? Bah, we'll be asked."
Borris slowly brings Farah to a trot towards the gate, thinking up a story for why their travelling should they be asked...
'Ah... Given gifts that we're... Transporting. Unfortunately there was a fire but we're taking what we can... That'll do."

Prehysterical
2014-05-25, 09:13 AM
At first Azur is offended at the idea of lying to the guards, but upon hearing Borris's words, he realizes that the story is actually the truth. Not the straightforward truth, but truth nonetheless. A genuine smile curls his lips, the first time in a long while.

"I like it. As for the eyes... I will say it is due to an excess of bile." Oh yes, Azur was having more fun with wordplay now than he ever had before. Huh, it seems the truth is more flexible than I thought.

Plerumque
2014-05-30, 03:20 PM
The guards stand ramrod straight with their backs to the gate and their hands on the hilts of their weapons. "You are about to enter the city of Sandora," one begins. "Before you are allowed entry you must submit to a thorough search and- who the hell are you, sir?" Seeing Azur's eyes, the gaurd takes an involuntary half step backwards and pulls his blade halfway out of the sheath.

Prehysterical
2014-05-30, 03:38 PM
Keeping calm on the back of Farah, Azur coolly replies, "I am Azur, a blacksmith by trade and a novice hunter. My companion and I are traveling north. We only wish to stay the night."

Plerumque
2014-05-30, 03:43 PM
"What manner of being are you, to have eyes so unnatural? Witches are allowed no respite within these walls." The guard is tense, eyes flickering around, but makes no move to draw his sword the rest of the way.

Prehysterical
2014-05-31, 11:26 PM
"I am no witch!" Only the threat of being turned away, or worse, attracting undue attention, is enough to keep his chains from rattling in anger. After glaring at the guardsmen, Azur closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. An idea struck him, a slight alteration to the story that he and Borris had agreed upon earlier.

"These eyes are the result of a demonic incursion on my village years ago. My parents were slaughtered, my wife and unborn child abducted, and I was left as... this." He points toward his face, letting the pain and rage he had bottled up within him for years to finally show itself. "Cursed. Changed. Sometimes, I wonder if it would have been better if the demons had killed me as well... Is that enough to satisfy you? Or shall I have to show you the scars that those bastards left on me?" The poignant melancholy of his voice is broken at the end by indignant defiance.

Plerumque
2014-06-01, 08:47 AM
The man hesitates. "How can we be sure that you mean us no ill will? That this demon had not enslaved you as well as scarred you? It is a great risk that we take in letting you through... if you merely wish to travel in this direction, could you not go around the city?"

Prehysterical
2014-06-01, 10:10 AM
"How can you be sure of anyone who comes through these gates? I have nothing to give other than my word. As for enslavement, however..." A low, icy chuckle escapes his lips. "If I was enslaved by a demon, I would know already. I am not under the control of any demon.

We have been traveling through the forest south of here for several days now. I wish to keep going, but my friend and his horse are in need of rest. We also need to resupply before we head north. Isn't that right, Borris?

Oh, and by the way, I feel that you should know... the city guard would do better to equip themselves with cold iron in the near future. The Fae in the forest are growing restless. Something big event is coming, although I do not know what."

As Azur looks at the guard, his eyes focus on the weapon at the man's hip. "Let me see that sword. I won't be using it to stab anyone; I just wish to take a look. Your friend may cover me with his weapon, if he wishes."

Plerumque
2014-06-01, 11:11 AM
"You're... you're, ah, not doing any better to convince us you're safe to let in the walls with the crazy act," the guard says, putting his hand protectively on his sword. "And why in all the hells do you want to see my sword? How do I know you won't do something to it?"

Prehysterical
2014-06-01, 11:26 AM
Azur sighs, exasperated at the nervous guard. "I'm a blacksmith, remember? I make weapons for a living. All I want to do is see how good your blacksmith here is. The blacksmith in the last town that I was in was either a fraud or an idiot. I'm not lying when I say that I could break his blades by snapping them over my knee. I want to see if yours is any better." He dismounts from Farah and begins walking forward, only to remember that walking toward these guards with a weapon in hand would not be a good idea. Slowly, Azur plants his greatsword into the dirt beside him and walks toward the guard, stopping outside of sword range. He holds his hand out, waiting for the guard to give him the sword. As Azur stands there, his previous words come back to haunt him and he curses.

"Look, I won't break your sword, all right? I just want to see if it is tempered properly. And why don't either of you have any spears? Do they just not care if you are properly equipped or not?"

Erik Vale
2014-06-01, 07:56 PM
Borris looks at Azur concerned.
"How about you ask a guards barracks once you're inside Azur... However my friend's right about the fey. We got a peaceful visit a night or so ago, but you can never be sure with fey."
Borris likewise dismounts, but he stays with Farah.

Plerumque
2014-06-01, 09:09 PM
"Your friend is wise," the guard says, making no motion to give Azur his sword. "Ask someone inside the walls. Which you will be permitted to enter, provided you submit to a full search and weapon peace-bonding." He gestures towards Azur's greatsword, ignoring the comment about the fey.

Prehysterical
2014-06-01, 11:37 PM
Sighing, Azur let his arm fall. "Very well, then." He turns away and picks up his greatsword, leaning it over his shoulder.

As realization strikes him, Azur turns back to the guard. Embarrassment is written on his face. "Um... I don't suppose you have any spare sheaths? In my hurry, I forgot to get a proper sheath for this new sword." Turning the weapon so that he grasps it by the blade, he approaches the guard and extends the weapon to him hilt-first. "If you still do not trust me, you may peace-bind it as you wish. But..." Azur says warningly, "I want it back."

Plerumque
2014-06-04, 06:37 PM
"I don't, no, but I'm sure you can purchase or trade for one in the city," the guardsman says, touching Azur's sword carefully. It gleams dully for a moment before fading. "Go on in." The gates swing open, revealing a long street filled with stone buildings, most uniformly square. Above each hangs a sign with the emblem of a trade emblazoned on it- this would appear to be the mercantile section of the city. Past the initial mass of buildings squabbling to be closest to the gate, the structures are more spaced out and more have elaborations on the base structure: painted walls or even a mural here and there, gold filigree along the windows, different types of roofs, and so on. A few carriages clatter farther in the distance, and peddlers with wagons hitched to mules or horses have set up shop. As a contrast to the shouting of the market in Elbe, most of the merchants here seem relaxed, either taking a break because of the slow influx of travelers or because they feel their wares stand on their own.

Erik Vale
2014-06-05, 01:44 AM
Borris sighs with relief one their in.
"As much as I could use a drink and a nice soft bed, I think the first thing we do is get you a sheath and plan what we're going to do now that we're safe... well, safer, at least... Of course, planning over something light would work."

Borris proceeds to look for a merchant selling sheaths in order to point it out to Azur.

Prehysterical
2014-06-05, 03:23 PM
Azur knows that Borris is tired and probably wants to take care of Farah. As much as he is tempted to tell Borris to go ahead to the stables or tavern, something about the idea of splitting up in this new city seems ill-advised. Instead, he walks alongside Borris, scanning the streets for a weapon-dealer or someone of a similar ilk. The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can sit on something other than rocks for a while.

Plerumque
2014-06-05, 07:15 PM
One store has a sign swinging above the door with a sword and bow crossed, the paint chipped and peeling. Beneath it, a merchant who looks equally aged peers out with hope in his eyes."Hello?" he asks.

Prehysterical
2014-06-05, 07:38 PM
Walking up to the door, Azur asks, "Are you the smith? I need a sheath to peace-bind my sword while I am within the city walls."

Plerumque
2014-06-05, 08:37 PM
"A sheath you say? You have a weapon already?" He peers out with murky eyes. "Yes, I think I have something that will fit for that. I'd ask only the meager price of a half-gold unless you wish to make it a combat scabbard or some such. May I see the weapon?"

Prehysterical
2014-06-05, 11:13 PM
"...I'm sorry to say that I have no money to give you. However, perhaps I can aid you in some other way. I am a smith as well, far from my forge that I may be.

A combat scabbard? I am not familiar with such a thing. You intrigue me, however. What purpose would it serve? A club? A makeshift shield?"

Azur's hurry has transformed into mild curiosity as he finally meets a smith who knows something that he doesn't. He gently hands over the greatsword to the old man.

Erik Vale
2014-06-05, 11:42 PM
Borris raises an eyebrow.
"You didn't bring coin? Give me a sec."
Borris begins sorting through his coinpurse, eventually getting the desired money for the purchase.

Plerumque
2014-06-06, 08:49 PM
"A combat scabbard? Ah, it's just our name for a scabbard that has a blade at its outer edge. If you use it in the city you have to have it peacebound separately, though. Costs an extra ten silver." He looks hopeful at the prospect of a sale, eyeing the coins Borris sorts through.

Prehysterical
2014-06-06, 09:53 PM
Azur's eagerness sours at the prospect of such a redundant item. He answers in a cold voice, "That will be all, thank you. Just get me my sheath and I will be on my way."

Turning to regard Borris, he says, "I guess I owe you a favor, now."

Erik Vale
2014-06-06, 10:29 PM
"It might have been hard ground, but I got long nights sleep with you keeping watch. Consider it repayment... Besides, I've a feeling we're both going to need to help each other out allot, and I'd rather not keep track of favours owed."

Borris hands over the coin in a combination of copper and silver.

Plerumque
2014-06-07, 10:24 PM
The shopkeeper looks disappointed but accepts the coin, vanishing into the darkness and returning a few moments later with a large leather sheath. "This should fit. Come back if you need anything else!" he adds.

Prehysterical
2014-06-07, 11:48 PM
Sliding his greatsword into the new leather sheath, Azur ties the weapon firmly across the hilt to peace-bind it. The newly housed weapon is soon slung over his shoulder, the strap crossing diagonally over his torso. Checking to see that his sword is secured, Azur looks back to Borris.

"That's me all taken care of, then. Now, let's get you and Farah all settled. I have a feeling the mountains will not be easy going. Lead on."

Erik Vale
2014-06-08, 08:17 PM
"Yes. Making sure we have a bed for the night and a proper stable. Then we can sit somewhere, hopefully with a drink, and decide on exactly how we're going to proceed."
Borris will begin to look for a inn.

Plerumque
2014-06-08, 08:24 PM
The closest tavern is named the Golden Dream, with piles of glittering coins painted on its sign. Contrary to the slow pace of the other businesses near the front gate, it is positively bustling, and the clatter of plates and sounds of conversation drift out from its open front door. Another sign hanging just above the entrance advertises, 'Rooms Available!'

Erik Vale
2014-06-08, 08:33 PM
Borris will take a quick look around for other Inns that don't look like they're waiting to charge him his soul [he might have already lost that] and will ask around for a cheap inn.

However, wherever he ends up [inevitably there] Borris will look to find whoever it is that manages stabling and rooms, asking Azur to hold Farah outside.

Plerumque
2014-06-08, 08:55 PM
Borris finds a number of other taverns like the Golden Dream, all of which seem to have oddly stereotypical names. The Drake's Wing, the Silver Guardian, the Alcoholic's Paradise. Eventually, comparing prices and likelihood of being shanked in the night, they end up at the Guilded Mirror, where Borris quickly finda a dumpy man by the stables who seems to be acting as hostler. "What do you need, son?" he asks with a friendly, open demeanor.

Erik Vale
2014-06-08, 09:39 PM
"A room, maybe two, and a stall for Farah."
Borris smiles as he speaks.

Plerumque
2014-06-10, 08:27 PM
"Well, we can certainly do that." The man's leathery, wrinkled face splits into a deeper grin. "How 'bout you just leave your horse- what a beauty, it'll be an honor to take care of her- with me, and you can arrange for rooms inside." He reaches out for Farah's reins.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 02:47 AM
"The price for a night?"
Borris takes a moment to scrutinize the man's face, for some reason something seems off.

[roll]1d20[roll]

Plerumque
2014-06-11, 04:37 PM
"Three silver per stable, that includes care and feeding. Inside, it's two gold for a room." He maintains his good-natured expression, but drops his hand from the reins.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 06:09 PM
After a moment, Borris slowly nods. Then shrugs, holding the reigns out to him.
"Perhaps I might procure some floorboards instead. Judging by what you said I pay inside?"

If yes, Borris will reach around in his pockets and pay him a silver before heading in.

Plerumque
2014-06-11, 07:01 PM
"You can just pay me if you prefer," the man says, still smiling. "But yah, you can take of both fees in the tavern proper."

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 07:15 PM
Borris hands the man the coin, before going in to find the inn-keeper.

Plerumque
2014-06-13, 11:17 PM
The hostler takes the coin and bites it before stowing it in a pouch and leading Farah to a clean stable. Inside, the tavern-keeper has to be shout to be overheard over the conversation, songs, and general rowdiness- there seems to be a small, good-natured barfight in one corner of the room- but as soon as Borris and Azur enter he calls out, "What do you need, gentlemen? Room, food, drink, or all three?"

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 12:41 AM
"A cheap room, and a drink with kick barely stronger than water, if you can bring yourself to serve such." Borris smiles at the last part.

Plerumque
2014-06-14, 07:48 AM
"We'll try," the barkeep laughs. "You want an actual room then, not just a space in front of the fire? That'll be two gold, and another silver for the drinks." He serves up two slopping mugs of watered ale.

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 07:57 AM
"Just a place by the fire will be fine."
Borris reaches into his coin pouch, starting to grab silvers based on size.

Plerumque
2014-06-14, 08:01 AM
"Three silver per spot if you provide your own blanket and pillow, five silver per if you don't."

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 08:06 AM
Doing some quick maths Borris hands over 7 silver [once checking that's what he actually got out].
"Thanks... Well then."
Borris grabs the ales, with his head motioning Azur to a table which he begins walking towards, setting the ales down.
"... So... Do we have a plan from here? Or were you just thinking go walk abouts and kill some demons?"
Borris keeps his voice low as he speeks, looking into his ale... Half unsure if he'll actually drink it.

Prehysterical
2014-06-14, 12:16 PM
Grabbing one of the ale mugs, the disguised devil takes a sip before grimacing in distaste and setting the drink down. He leans forward and quietly says, "As much as the idea of going on a demon-slaying rampage warms my heart, I've been doing some thinking over the past few days. Apparently, they have secured themselves a fortress up north, and it would be suicide to just go marching up to the gates. First, I need to find out where exactly this fort is and how I could get in. Anything else would require a small army.

Speaking of plans, we need to start thinking of ways to keep the Fae off our backs. I don't know what you promised That One, but he seems oddly focused for one of the fairyfolk. If I can get my hands on some cold iron, I could make you a weapon or two in case we need to defend ourselves." Azur pauses as he considers his words.

"And not just from the Fae... Demons, devils, Fae... I wasn't lying to the guard when I said something big is going on. The walls that separate the Realms are slowly fading away. What could cause such a thing?"

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 07:59 PM
Borris's eyes widen a bit.
"You're asking a woodsman, I mean, I know a fair bit and I'll definitely think on it before turning over, but the planes aren't exactly my area of expertise... I mean... I've read a bit and I know that people aren
t supposed to just get offered bargains, and without some means of breaching they couldn't... But Fey and Devil's aren't exactly on the same page, so it'd have to be pretty broad."
Borris thinks a moment before shaking his head.
"Unfortunately I... Got offered a rather undefined favour for a favour. Don't ask me how he talked me into it, I don't know... However I meant different things about planning. Sure, we want to scout things out, make proper weapons, but right now I could pay for a floor for 20 nights and leave you for the cold, surviving buying trail rations. After that my coins gone, and we need coin. Sure, we could hire on as labourers but for how much? And I know it's not what you're looking to do.... Hell, this is the point where most bards would have us become adventurers... I mean, we could. There's the Pragnos-whatchumacallit, and there's a couple of others..."

]
With jack of all trades, Borris's knowledge rolls are trained. Borris will be taking 20 on them as to the question Azur posed sometime tonight. End results are 22's with lots of potential herring space given the 'failures' the I get saddled with for taking 20.

Also, I will be changing over my sheet to Warlock instead of Commoner today, unless I get hit by something, I really should have done this sooner.

Prehysterical
2014-06-18, 09:44 PM
Not exactly comforted by the stablehand's words, Azur stands and walks over to the barkeep. Leaning on the counter, he asks, "Is there anything like a bounty board or something in this town? Something for sword-swingers to acquire coin?"

Plerumque
2014-06-18, 10:14 PM
"I don't keep up to date on the specifics, being happy with my own occupation, but I know that there is one," the barkeep says, mixing a drink, "It's posted in their guild hall. They also have a steady stream of people looking for protection on various journeys, but I don't believe they put up that kind of job on the board. Not heroic enough, I suppose. Too mercenary."

Prehysterical
2014-06-18, 10:24 PM
A wicked smile appears on Azur's face. "Paid protection over a long journey? Sound perfect to me. Where could I find this guild hall?" If they're heading north, that would be ideal...

Plerumque
2014-06-18, 10:47 PM
The barkeep shrugs. "Towards the center of town. It's not difficult to find, what with their embellished sign and the lyrical bellowing of drunken adventurers and all. I think maybe today they're having a bicep size competition. Adventurers will be adventurers, I suppose. Most of the actual business is conducted in the upper floors, where it's a little more private."

Prehysterical
2014-06-19, 12:03 AM
"Thank you." Nodding to the barkeep, Azur moves back over to Borris's table. His yellow eyes look bright and excited for the first time in a while.

"He says that the adventurer's guild is located in the center of town. You get some rest, Borris, while I go see if they are currently in need of arms." Putting words to action, Azur marches out the door and begins making his way to the center of town, looking for the drunken group of dungeon-knockers.

Erik Vale
2014-06-19, 12:28 AM
Borris nods slowly, taking another slow drink of his beer...
Eventually he settles into staring at it, sighing. It's been a long few days.

Plerumque
2014-06-20, 11:05 PM
The "drunken group of dungeon-knockers" is as easy to find as the barkeep promised, their emblem a large sign inscribed with a crossed sword and goblet. Inside, a rowdy group of adventurers male and female, clothed in a variety of arcane robes, leather armor, priestly garments, and heavy plate mail argue, drink, and fight (although in a frinedly fashion). Taking up one whole corner of the room is a large board covered in flyers and notes, ranging from job opportunities to IOUs to the incoherent scrawls of people who've seen a bit too much. Stairs wrap around either side of the chamber, leading to a balcony from which a few people watch the ruckus with amused expressions, and more rooms.

Prehysterical
2014-06-21, 01:57 AM
Not wishing to get caught up in this unorganized sprawl, Azur makes straight for the board in the corner and examines it, hoping to see something worthwhile.

Plerumque
2014-06-21, 10:55 PM
Azur quickly realizes that few of the papers actually describe job opportunities for adventurers, and the few that do all detail dungeons or ruins that need to be explored, or more rarely problems such as the occasional hobgoblin war camp that have been plaguing Sandora or the nearby regions. All of them seem fairly open-ended and without time constraints, and none of them seem to detail protection jobs.

Prehysterical
2014-06-25, 08:56 PM
Hmmm... the one with the wizard's lab doesn't seem too bad. Still, perhaps I should ask around.

Turning from the board, Azur awkwardly taps the nearest person on the shoulder. It has been a while since he has had to politely ask someone for something. "Excuse me, but who do I speak to about jobs that aren't on the board?"

Plerumque
2014-06-25, 09:35 PM
"Aye, well, most of the time people talk to Jord, the guildmaster, and he either recommends specific agents or he puts the job up for public consideration," the large man shouts back. "Either way, he'd know whatever's going on right now. He might be in his office on the upper floors right now if you hurry." The man turns from Azur and reenters the fray.

Prehysterical
2014-06-25, 10:28 PM
Taking the man's words to heart, Azur heads up the stairs and looks for the guildmaster's office. Once he finds it, he steps inside and stands before Jord's desk, asking, "Are you Jord? I hear that you're the man to talk to about mercenary work. Are there any jobs that aren't posted on the board?"

Plerumque
2014-06-26, 08:48 AM
Jord is a thin man with red hair wearing a fine gray suit, considering a few papers strewn about on his desk as Azur walks in. "I suppose there must inevitably be," he replies, looking up. "Space on the boards is limited. Why, are you looking for work? I don't recognize you..."

Prehysterical
2014-06-26, 05:31 PM
Azur offers a simple bow before continuing. "My name is Azur. My friend, Borris, and I are looking for work so that we might not have to sleep on floors. I don't suppose there are any other jobs available? I wish to consider my options carefully before committing.

...Also, tell whoever it was that offered an art piece for a month's watch duty that I hope he is joking."

Plerumque
2014-06-26, 08:51 PM
"I believe there were some limitations on that offer that may not have been mentioned," Jord smiles, "and they have a source that warned them about a specific possible attempt. However, I share your reservations. Art should be priceless, else how is it art? Still, I am sure I can find a job for you and your mysterious companion who won't show his face here in my office. Provided you prove your worth beforehand, of course."

Prehysterical
2014-06-26, 10:40 PM
The implied insult is enough for Azur to drop his politeness. He leans forward on the man's desk, yellow eyes glowering into his face. "Borris is at an inn, seeing to it that his precious horse, Farah, is well cared for. He is no coward, and neither am I. I will be more than happy to show you," he answers darkly.

Plerumque
2014-06-27, 08:26 AM
"Oh my. I am terrified. See how very terrified I am," the man answers with a deadpan. "Word of advice: if you want a job, threatening your potential employer is not the best way to get the one you want. Yes, bring your friend back here. We'll talk then."

Prehysterical
2014-06-27, 12:05 PM
The man's snark rankles Azur, who exits the guild hall and makes his way back to the inn. He looks for Borris to see if the man is still in the inn.
Azur walks up and says, "I might have found us a way to make some coin. Finish that ale and come with me."
Surprised at Borris's absence, Azur strolls over to the barkeep. "Have you seen my friend? He was here not too long ago."

Erik Vale
2014-06-30, 05:48 PM
Borris looks up from the last of his Ale, and upon recognising Azur stands up, moving towards him.
"Let's settle with the later."

Plerumque
2014-06-30, 09:52 PM
"Back again, I see," Jord says calmly when Azur and Borris enter his office. "This time with your elusive friend. Well, good. I understand you want a job, yes? I'm inclined to let you have one. But first you would have to prove to me somehow that you're not intending to backstab myself or my company at the first opportunity, or accidentally or intentionally smear our impeccable reputation. Do you have suggestions?"

Prehysterical
2014-06-30, 10:12 PM
In Azur's mind, it is clear that they are at a crossroads. An inability to satisfy this man would result in them walking out with nothing. Borris's words from earlier ring in his mind. I may not need to eat or sleep, but he does. And if I'm going to take those demons down, I will need help.

Reluctantly, as though he was about to tear his own finger off, Azur reaches for his left hand. His right hand trembles a little as he slips the gold ring off of his finger and holds it in the palm of his hand before Jord.

"This is the ring that I forged when I proposed to my wife. It's all I have left to remember her by, and I would rather freeze in Hell before parting with it. You want trust? Here is your trust. But when the job is done, I want it back." The blacksmith's unblinking eyes gaze into Jord's face, waiting for his response.

Erik Vale
2014-07-01, 01:30 AM
Borris stares at the man a moment before shrugging.
"My word is as it stands, those who would reneg on a bargain opened fairly deserve their punishment, and I'd rather not piss you off, all said and done."

Plerumque
2014-07-01, 10:59 AM
Jord closes his fingers around the ring. "Good enough," he says softly, before his gaze sharpens on Borris. "I don't trust you. But it hear him will have to be good enough." He turns, his back to the pair, and they hear him unlocking a drawer and placing the ring in it before turning the key again. "It will be safe. My desk is locked in more ways than one." He clears his throat. So, you want a job. I won't let you displace any of the proper guildmembers, but we can find a place for you. I need your name, age, race," he looks pointedly at Azur's yellow eyes, "occupation, and skillset."

Erik Vale
2014-07-05, 03:30 AM
"Borris Stablehand. 20. Human. Militia Member, Animal Raiser and Trainer, Handyman. I'm good on a horse."
Borris recites the requested information.

Sorry for delay, this was lost in the tabs.

Plerumque
2014-07-05, 08:06 PM
"Good enough. And you?" His eyes fix on Azur, clearly more interested in what the blacksmith has to say.

Prehysterical
2014-07-05, 11:59 PM
"Name: Azur
Race..."

Here, Azur is stuck. After the bargain, he has no idea whether he is still human with inhuman powers or something else entirely. As much as he doesn't want to say the whole truth, the thought of lying to the man rankles him. After a moment's thought, he gives the most honest and non-committal answer he can think of:

"Race: Unknown
Skills: Weapon mastery, Proficiency in multiple languages"

Plerumque
2014-07-06, 04:26 PM
"Sixteen?" The man raises his eyebrows. "You don't look it." His interest is quickly subsumed, however, in the curiosity that plays on his face after 'Race: Unknown'. "What do you mean?" he demands. "What, you don't know your own species? Was your father a shapeshifter? Your brother a half-elf? You get all kinds in here looking for work, but I've never had someone who doesn't even know what to call himself. And yet, it's too ridiculous to be a lie. So go on, Master Azur, explain yourself."

Prehysterical
2014-07-06, 05:09 PM
Reluctantly, Azur responds, "I was once a normal human. Long ago, my village was attacked by demons. A curse was laid upon me. A few weeks ago, I slept through a feverish dream with a smiling, shadowy figure. I woke up the next morning as... this." His hands widen to encompass himself. "My sheets were covered in hoarfrost, and I had changed." Flicking a hand to the side, a concealed length of chain extends. Azur's wrist flicks and the chain coils around his torso. Looking the guildmaster in the eye, he states simply, "I don't know what I am anymore."

Plerumque
2014-07-06, 05:21 PM
"Well. That is... quite something. Several of our members have similar stories, but I believe none have received similar, ah, changes as a result. Demon hunter, you said? I can see why. Well, I shall have to ruminate on what jobs would be suitable for men of your particular talents. How should I let you know if there's a new opportunity?" H is smile reappears on his face; if he's been shaken by Azur's story he's not showing it.

Erik Vale
2014-07-08, 01:28 AM
Borris speaks up.
"We currently reside at "The Gilded Mirror", a inn nearby."

Plerumque
2014-07-08, 03:28 PM
"Noted. I shall contact the innkeeper when I have a job lined up for you. If you change residence, be sure to let me know. Until then, it sounds like we're done here?" He stands up, despite the fact that he's not going anywhere.

Prehysterical
2014-07-08, 05:43 PM
Azur nods. "Yes, we are." He turns and exits the door.

Erik Vale
2014-07-10, 12:34 AM
Borris nods.
"I'll be sure to. Thank you for your time and assistance."

Borris leaves with Azur, catching up.
"Perhaps adding less sandpaper to your speech will do you good... In the mean time, I need to sleep, so we can discuss interesting jobs in the morning, and perhaps grab a couple of people to work with..."
---
In the morning, after sleeping, Borris will express interest in taking the job at the wizards tower if so told. Should days come to pass, Borris will work to make what money he can, which while skilled probably wont be much.

Plerumque
2014-07-29, 10:23 PM
About a week later, the innkeeper calls Borris and Azur over as they descend the stairs for breakfast. "Jord says you're working for the guild now," he says, surveying the pair with renewed interest. "Tells me he's got a job perfect for you. Told me to ask you, Azur, whether you've ever dealt with, ah, visitors to the Material of another kind."

Erik Vale
2014-07-30, 01:58 AM
It was a hard week for Borris, he had apprenticed before, yes, but he wasn't used to bein an apprentice, or working so long hours...
At least when he was shaping wood in the tavern it was relaxing, and having some coin, in addition to the happy looks from some when he got the chance to sell a wooden toy or the like does help.

And coming down early [with Azur 'forced' to come along so they can talk] to eat his morning meal, Borris half smiles at the sound of a job.

"That does indeed sound like something very interesting... Breakfast sounds more interesting for me though. I've a feeling you've already got my usual ready, any chance you have something I could take it in and would trust me with a fork?"

Prehysterical
2014-07-31, 08:37 PM
A week's delay does Azur a surprising amount of good. Having a chance to pummel out frustration at the forge while putting silver in his pocket actually raises his spirits. Before the week is out, a brand new greataxe is handed to the local smith. Images of demon heads flying come to mind as the weapon is exchanged.

Coming down to eat breakfast with Borris, his good mood is ruined by the barkeep's question. He growls slightly. Relax. He doesn't know. He's just doing what he was told. Don't flay the messenger.

His reply still carries more bite than he intended. "Jord knows very well that I have. Get to the point."

Plerumque
2014-07-31, 08:42 PM
"Well, I'm only the messenger. It seems Jord didn't see fit to entrust me with the specific details, but he wanted both of you in his office, as soon as was convenient. I've got it a bite ready for you already, Borris." He hands the stablehand a crudely carved wooden bowl. "Better not risk irritating the guildmaster, this early in the morning."

Erik Vale
2014-08-02, 01:33 AM
Borris takes his bowl and spoon with a nod [and quickly passed over coin, paying the amount he normally does for a day in advance, just in case], before heading off to the guild master.

Plerumque
2014-08-02, 11:29 PM
Jord is leaning back in his chair when the pair enters his office. "Good morning, and don't you both look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I hope your stay here in town has been enjoyable. However, although I hate to break up your vacation, we have work for you to do. It's not demons, but hopefully your expertise will be useful enough. I suppose, in order for me to avoid giving redundant information, first you should let me know whether either of you have heard of the creatures known as mephits."

Prehysterical
2014-08-02, 11:41 PM
Azur shakes his head slowly. "...No. I have never heard of mephits. What are they?"

Plerumque
2014-08-03, 10:07 PM
"Mephits are, well, elementals I suppose. They look like little imps, twisted creatures with elemental heritage that manifests in a number of ways. They all have wings, and usually horns as well. Each one also possesses a unique breath weapon, or so I'm told. Well, I don't know how or why they got here, but there are four or five of them currently in the town. They've been fighting among themselves, stealing from citizens, and generally making a nuisance of themselves, and certain people are willing to pay good coin to make sure this is stopped. Since most of my men are firmly grounded in the material and have little experience outside of it, I thought I'd give you two a chance to prove your worth. And if you're killed, your corpses can be disposed of with relatively little effort, so it's a win-win. We'll say for each mephit head you bring me I'll pay you... let's say two hundred fifty. Fair enough?"

Erik Vale
2014-08-04, 11:23 PM
"250 each per head, or 250 per head?"
He's not that good at bargaining, but Borris knows how to start a slight one... But in either case, that deal is... Well... Huge... Nearly mind boggling for Borris.

I'm happy to time skip... And would be interested if we could hire a additional spear.

Plerumque
2014-08-05, 11:36 PM
"250 for you to share. I'm not going to bankrupt myself over vermin control. Now then, assuming that is acceptable, the next time I see you two I expect you to be holding mephit heads." He shuffles the papers on his desk and turns his attention away, the audience clearly over.

Sure, where are you going?

Erik Vale
2014-08-06, 09:41 PM
Borris nods, turning and walking out. When Azur's next to him, he'll start talking plans. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338266-Reasonable-Prices-OOC&p=17896209#post17896209)

Plerumque
2014-08-06, 11:20 PM
The city has a few watch houses, though more than one of them have grown dilapidated with time and the otherwise occupied attentions of the watchmen. The one nearest the adventurer's guild, fortunately, is not so. A small, unassuming brick building nestled among far more impressive architecture, it nonetheless manages to hold its own. It has no sign over the door.

The man behind the desk looks up from jotting down something as the pair enter. "Yes? Do you have a problem to report?" he asks. There appear to be circles under his eyes, but his voice is nevertheless firm and reassuring.

Prehysterical
2014-08-06, 11:38 PM
"Have you been having trouble with elemental spirits lately? Jord sent us."

Plerumque
2014-08-07, 08:59 AM
"Yes, I suppose that's true. Damned tricky things and hard to kill, so they believe they can do whatever they like without fear of consequence. You're from the adventurers' guild, eh? Going to take care of them for us?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-07, 09:44 AM
"Yes, but I do have one question." Azur's eyes bore intensely at the watchman. "Have they killed anyone?"

Plerumque
2014-08-07, 06:34 PM
The watchman hesitates. "I'm not sure. There has been some very extensive property damage, several homes burned down. There have been numerous reports of injuries as well. The pyromaniac seems to be the most aggressive by far, and several of his victims have ended up with severe burns and scarring. There were a few cases of frostbite when people came near the area claimed by the ice mephit, and at least one man may never walk again. The others- three, I believe- they haven't been seen as much, but there was a case with a child almost drowning a few days ago. They are reckless vandals with no respect for human safety and no concept of ownership, but to my knowledge they have stopped short of taking a life. I still, however, believe they should be stamped out with all force necessary, and were the guard properly equipped to handle them I assure you they already would be." He is scowling by the time he finishes the speech. "Have I answered your question satisfactorily?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-07, 06:47 PM
Azur nods. "Yes. I was merely gauging the best way to... deal with these things. Make sure the punishments are fitting. Where was the last sighting?"

Plerumque
2014-08-07, 07:13 PM
"I'd recommend you deal with the arsonist first, because he's the most likely to hurt other people in the time it takes you to get to him. I can't say for certain where he is, but the last report we had of his presence was the night before last, when he burned down the dwarf Ambarsson's foundry."

Erik Vale
2014-08-08, 06:54 PM
Borris slowly nods.
"Well then. We'll head out that way and see what we can find..."

Borris had done some... small practice in his down time, trying to figure out what he could do, and he knew that at the least he could through bolts of magic, which'd help.

Prehysterical
2014-08-08, 07:37 PM
Dont' worry, sir. We'll hunt down this spawn of chaos."
Fast forward to the foundry?

Plerumque
2014-08-08, 11:45 PM
The foundry isn't difficult to find, as you have to merely ask directions to the large heap of ash. Ambarsson isn't that difficult to find, either. He's staying with one of his neighbors whose tailor's shop was merely scorched by the conflagration, although to achieve this was required a distance of several buildings between them and Ambarsson's foundry. They seem pleased to meet anyone who might be able to stop this menace, and Ambarsson himself is all too happy to vent.

"The damn creature," he grouses. "Threatened me in my own shop, wanted to use my forge. Not sure why. I said no, of course, told the little devil I wanted him out of my shop unless he was going to buy something. Next thing I know he's gone and there's a hole burned through my floor, and then the flames catch... I'm lucky I got out alive, I suppose, but I don't know if it's possible to rebuild everything from scratch..." He picks up a lump of molten slag and looks at it morosely. "If there's anything I can do to help catch that bastard, though, I'm your dwarf."

Erik Vale
2014-08-10, 03:59 AM
"Well. Do you know where the next nearest forge is? In case the blighter should be thinking to keep trying to make... Whatever it is he wants to."

Plerumque
2014-08-10, 08:28 AM
"Nearest forge would be Master Darbinian's, about a ten minute walk from here. He mostly does delicate work; filigree, gilding, that sort of thing. You think he's looking to make something?" Ambarsson squeezes the lump of metal in his hand, brows furrowed.

Erik Vale
2014-08-10, 07:31 PM
"Well he did say he wanted to use your forge... But then, I'm not him... What about the nearest one that does similar work to you..? Mostly given Master Darbinian seems to still have a forge by the lack of a fire about 10 minutes away and what you said."

If possible, what would a Fire Mephit want with a forge?
[roll0]

Plerumque
2014-08-10, 08:33 PM
"Well, my cousin does similar work. He's named Agnar. I do weapons, he does armor. Other than the two of us and Darbinian, I'm not sure there's another smith in the city. Well, I suppose there are jewelers and alchemists that might have crucibles or something, and there are a few potters with ovens, but I can't imagine the mephit would go someplace like that first if he's trying to make something."

Well, it could heal itself with one, or it might be trying to forge something. More specific, you can't say.

Erik Vale
2014-08-10, 09:17 PM
Borris slowly nods.
"... Can I get directions as to Agnars. I think we'll check there next."

----
After leaving Ambarsson's ruined forge [And thanking him for his time] Borris speaks to Azure simply.
"The Mephit may be looking to heal himself instead of make something, so he'd need lots of heat. Maybe natural, maybe not, so where other than forges would you think to be kept really hot?"

Plerumque
2014-08-10, 09:25 PM
Ambarsson happily provides directions to Agnar's, and says to mention that Ambarsson said these two could be trusted. The building described, however, has a thick padlock over the door and a sign that states in emphatic letters that the forge is closed.

You can continue the conversation, I just wanted to let you know what would happen when you got there.

Prehysterical
2014-08-10, 09:30 PM
Azur has to think hard before answering. "...What about a bakery? They would always have the ovens running. Or perhaps it needs hotter flames and is seeking out magical fire from a wizard?"

When the two of them reach the locked door, Azur is instantly on edge. "Either someone is paranoid, or we are closer than we thought." Raising his fist, he pounds on the door.

"Open up! Ambarsson sent us here!"

Plerumque
2014-08-13, 01:39 PM
The door remains firmly shut, but a window about ten feet above it creaks open to allow just a crack, and a voice shouts, "Sorry, not taking any orders right now. Come back tomorrow, please."

Prehysterical
2014-08-13, 05:35 PM
"This isn't about any orders! You're afraid of the elementals running around, right? My friend and I have been sent to sort that problem out."

Plerumque
2014-08-13, 05:49 PM
"I assure you I can protect myself fine. Please tell my cousin that I am very sorry for his loss, but I have no desire to stick my neck out by aiding whatever investigators he's sent. I sincerely doubt you need my help to capture the creature you seek." Despite the finality of this statement, the window remains open.

Prehysterical
2014-08-13, 05:54 PM
"Unless you have magic weapons, you won't even be able to touch the damn things. Or is there something that you're holding the rest of the town out on?" The last part comes out as much of a threat as a question.
[roll0]

Plerumque
2014-08-13, 06:07 PM
"With these walls and a solid lock, do you think I need to worry about them getting in? I've got metal shutters for these windows and I've put a grate over the chimney. I suppose it could just set the building on fire, but in that respect I've got nothing more to worry about than any other citizen. Why jeopardize that?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-13, 06:15 PM
"Because you're being selfish. While you cower in your smithy, people's homes, their lives, are being destroyed. The guard can't handle this. It has not been just your cousin. Numerous people have been burned by this, these, things. As long as everyone shuts their doors, plugs their ears, and pretends that their gods will look after them, these things will continue in their mad schemes. Did you hear that a child was almost drowned by one of them the other day? If anyone is killed while you had the chance to help, then on your head be it!"

Plerumque
2014-08-13, 06:38 PM
"And how would me opening up those doors and letting you in help at all? I have no information to give you! I'm very sorry about the child, and I hope you can stop the problem. However, I do not see why I need to be a step in the process."

Erik Vale
2014-08-15, 05:00 AM
"Cause unless you want your forge to be one of the next buildings found burnt down by the blighters, should we be right, it'd be in your best interest for us to remove the problem quickly, Unless you're already helping them!?"

Borris lets his accusation hand in the air.

Plerumque
2014-08-15, 09:28 AM
"You have me wrong, sir. I would love for the menace to be eradicated, but I don't see that there's anything I can do that would help you, and if I don't want 'my forge to be one of the next buildings found burnt down' then why should I help the ones seeking to find and kill the mephits?"

Erik Vale
2014-08-15, 11:57 PM
"Because then they'll be gone before they can do any more harm."
Borris calls up, but he's looking like he's about to give up on the man.

Plerumque
2014-08-16, 12:03 AM
"Of course, but I feel like what little help I could give you is not worth the risk it would entail to me," the dwarf says from the window. "I wish you luck."

Prehysterical
2014-08-16, 07:12 PM
Fists clenched, Azur shouts,

"Then damn you to the First Circle!"

Turning to his companion, he angry snarl turns into a disappointed scowl.

"Let's go, Borris. We'll have to find some way to draw them out."

After a few moments, Azur's eyes slowly widen as an idea strikes him.

"Wait... what if we lit a fire big enough to catch its attention? Cause it to become jealous?"

Erik Vale
2014-08-16, 10:12 PM
"... I want you to take a moment to think about what would happen to us if we started a fire lighting competition with a mephit." Boris just stares at Azur, as if he'd said something along the lines of wanting to burn down a orphanage [which might well just happen by accident as part of the events].

"... But such might be a good idea for the others..." Borris pauses in thought.

Planes: [roll0]
What sort of Mephit would a fire mephit hang out with?
What would attract said mephits [by type if neccessary]?

Nature: [roll1]
What would attact a creature of [Type X] [Type fire method would hang out with, i.e. what would attract a earth elemental since earth mephits are elemental like, elementals belong under nature, so rolling as well]?

Edit: I got nothin'. Or worse than nothing perhaps.

"... Though I'm not really sure what would attract them... There like elementals though... So a water one would like water, but he wouldn't stay with the fire one. And a air one would just like air, though he might work with fire... Perhaps somewhere high?... Perhaps we could find a sage, I've saved a bit so we could pay some, and then I could pay a bit from my reward more if what the sage says is useful."

Prehysterical
2014-08-20, 05:53 PM
Borris's words run through Azur's mind, as do the terrible possibilities. Guilty realization strikes him.

"Oh. The whole town might go up in flames. But damn it all, we are out here chasing our tails! Isn't there a wizard or scholar that we can visit for some sort of clue?!"

Erik Vale
2014-08-24, 05:57 PM
"Let's find out."
Borris turns, looking to find someone who could direct them to a mage-tower or library.

Plerumque
2014-08-25, 06:26 PM
After a few minutes of talking to the commoners coming in and out of the nearby shops, Borris finds someone who can direct him to the town's only major library, which is owned by a loose collective of wizards and hence often serves as a meeting spot for folks of that ilk.

Erik Vale
2014-08-25, 08:04 PM
Borris immediately begins taking the pair towards the library, disliking the idea of having to talk with mages, but knowing it's likely their best hope.
When they arrive, he'll ask who they could ask to find information as to mephits and elementals, or where they could read such information... Preferably in common.

Plerumque
2014-08-27, 06:45 PM
The library of Sandora is a large and elegant building, its patrons being some of the wealthiest men and women in the city. Once entered, neatly-organized stacks of books, manuscripts, and magical scrolls line the walls, and a few homunculi patrol on miniature walkways affixed near the ceiling, keeping a suspicious eye out for potential thieves. No other librarian is evident, as the books are not permitted to be checked out. As the pair walk in, they can hear the murmur of voices from a room towards the back.

Prehysterical
2014-08-29, 12:54 PM
Azur looks questioningly at Borris. "Should we interrupt, or wait for them to finish?"

Erik Vale
2014-08-30, 02:02 AM
Borris, instead of responding looks up to one of the Hommunculi.
"Can you talk?"

"Given there's no librarian, I would think that it'd be ok to knock, if they don't answer than it may be best to look for ourselves, we may find something while we wait for them to finish... But I wouldn't know where to start..."

Plerumque
2014-08-30, 12:43 PM
One of the homunculi slowly turns its head from side to side in answer.

Prehysterical
2014-09-01, 05:30 PM
Exasperated, Azur says, "Then you can look around for something. I will go see where they are and ask some questions."

Plerumque
2014-09-01, 08:30 PM
At Azur's knock, the voices are silenced. After a moment, a quavering voice calls, "Is that you, Isidorus?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-01, 10:21 PM
Azur responds, "No. I am Azur. I was sent by the guild to help solve the town's mephit problem. May I enter?"

Plerumque
2014-09-02, 06:45 AM
There is the hushed murmur of voices for a few moments, but then the same voice calls, "Come in." Upon opening the door, Azur finds a large group of men and women, including a few dwarves and gnomes, all arrayed around a massive oblong table. Most of them are wearing robes of a similar style, and have curious expressions on their faces. The speaker is an aged-looking man with slightly pointed ears, indicating a touch of elven heritage. Curiously, he seems to be the only one of that blood. "What is it you would ask of us?" he queries.

Prehysterical
2014-09-02, 11:56 AM
Azur bows respectfully. "My friend and I are trying to come up with ways to lure these things into a trap. We're starting with the fiery one, since it seems to be doing the most damage. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can draw these things, either with bait or some form of insult?"

Plerumque
2014-09-02, 06:41 PM
The half-elf turns to his compatriots, and the low buzz of conversation fills the hall once more until he waves his hands and turns back to Azur. "Well, setting off a suitably large conflagration would draw its attention. So would putting out one. For something more specific, some research might be neccessary, but Jamal here thinks he can remember something about mephits." A large man to the speaker's left clears his throat awkwardly. "Well, I'm not sure," he begins, "But I seem to recall something I read about mephits like these usually being servants to a higher power. If that's correct, and you could find out who their master is, that would be another way to get through to them."

Erik Vale
2014-09-02, 08:03 PM
Borris slowly nods.
"Potentially useful. However I don't think the city would like us starting a conflagration... Do any of you know what might attract the other mephits? Depending on if they're working together, we may still catch the red.

Plerumque
2014-09-02, 08:23 PM
"Well, if I'm right that information would be applicable to all the mephits," Jamal says before the half-elf cuts back in. "Again, a major increase or reduction in elemental energy would draw their attention. Freezing a lake, for example, or melting one. For the other elements, it's less direct, but any major underground work would likely draw the attention of an earth-attuned mephit, or constructing a windmill for an air-touched creature."

Erik Vale
2014-09-02, 08:50 PM
"So nothing that would be reasonable to do within a short time... What about the sort of places they'd like to hide? There's forges and such for the red one, and any large body of water for water ones, but as to the others?

Plerumque
2014-09-04, 05:56 AM
"Well, I imagine underground or in open spaces, respectively," he says. "I imagine we could work up a spell for you to find at least one, given the necessary time, but you may prefer not to wait."

Prehysterical
2014-09-04, 04:18 PM
Wait, wait, wait... that's all we seem to be doing anymore.

Azur regards the half-elf intently, yellow eyes burning with impatience.

"How. Long?"

Plerumque
2014-09-04, 07:54 PM
The speaker turns back to the others, and after a hurried conversation says, "Not that long. Two, three hours, maybe?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-04, 09:05 PM
Azur takes a deep breath to calm himself. Well, that's not so bad. We can wait a little longer.

He bows to the meeting. " Very well. In the meantime, I will see what your library has to offer. Perhaps I will find something interesting."
Azur will be researching devils, demons, and anything about cosmic compacts or pacts.

Erik Vale
2014-09-06, 07:16 AM
Borris slowly nods.
"Thank you. It'll likely find them faster than we could."

When Azur informs Borris what he's interested in researching, he offers to help out.

Aid Another: [roll0] granting a +2 bonus.
Nope, no help.

Plerumque
2014-09-08, 09:46 PM
After a couple hours, the doors swing back open and the half-elf ushers the pair back in. "I believe we have devised a suitable spell. It will only be usable once, however, so who is it you wish to divine the location of? The fire mephit?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-08, 09:49 PM
"Yes. From what we have been told, it is the most destructive one. Better to eliminate it quickly, before more homes are set ablaze."

Erik Vale
2014-09-08, 10:27 PM
Borris nods his agreement.

Plerumque
2014-09-09, 05:49 AM
"Yes, that makes sense. I thought you might wish to try and track down their summoner instead, but such an undertaking would be prone to failure." He motions for the ritual to begin, and several members begin drawing chalk lines on the table while others make arcane gestures with their hands or mouth words in another language. Light begins to lance from one person to the other until the whole circle is connected by a ring of white fire, and then after the briefest of moments, collapses into motes of magic floating in the air. The half-elf bends over to get his breath back, panting. After a bit, he straightens back up and says, "This city, the market district. The building is... Agnar's Foundry. Go quickly."

Prehysterical
2014-09-09, 10:47 AM
Realization strikes horribly. "Damn him," Azur swears viciously. He bolts for the door.

"Borris, hurry!"

Erik Vale
2014-09-09, 07:53 PM
Borris nods once before turning to run, mentally saying 'I told you so.' to Agnar.

Plerumque
2014-09-09, 08:08 PM
The building seems to be as it was when you left it. No flames blazing out of the windows, or smoke spiraling out from the multiple chimneys. The door is still bolted, and the windows closed tightly. The sign still declares that the forge is closed.

Erik Vale
2014-09-09, 08:15 PM
"Azur, grab some guards for incase a fire breaks out. I'll try to have this door open by then."

Once he moves off, Borris will begin channelling eldritch energies as he knows he can, and begins blasting the lock, slowly chipping away at it.

Eldritch blast is untyped so bypasses hardness, but damaged is halved as it's not hammer blast, so Borris is doing 1d3 damage to the lock per turn as he blasts away at it.

Plerumque
2014-09-09, 08:22 PM
The door is bolted from the inside, allowing no easy point of weakness. Borris realizes that he could simply blow up the door, but that might attract undue attention...

Erik Vale
2014-09-09, 10:03 PM
Borris looks for hinges.

Plerumque
2014-09-10, 06:33 AM
Borris could destroy the hinges with less effort than breaking the door itself, but it would still create quite a loud noise.

Erik Vale
2014-09-10, 06:35 AM
Caring not for nose, believing it will at worst force the creature into the open [quite possibly wrongly], and begins blasting.

Plerumque
2014-09-10, 04:53 PM
After a few seconds, the hinges give one last creak and bend, sending the heavy oaken door slamming to the ground. Inside, there is an area with a large desk, examples of finely crafted armor hanging on the walls. A staircase winds up to the upper floor, and another door presumably leads to the forge.

Prehysterical
2014-09-10, 04:56 PM
Azur lets some of his chains dangle down from his sleeves, arming himself. They slither before him and form a single, long chain. He twirls it experimentally.

"Check upstairs, Borris. I'll check the forge."

Plerumque
2014-09-10, 05:46 PM
The stairs lead up to a series of rooms furnished rather barely, although Borris has to duck his head- clearly, everything is sized for a dwarf. There's a bedroom, bathroom, and a small library, but Agnar doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Azur pushes his way through the door to find a bushy-bearded dwarf wearing a sootstained apron, standing in the middle of the stone floor. Ten feet away from him, the burning forge heats the whole room. "Who the hell are you?" he growls. "Did you break down my door? You're..." He squints. "You're one of the elf-kissing vigilantes who were here earlier, aren't you? What in the name of Tak are you doing here?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-10, 05:57 PM
The chain devil's anger had been smoldering on the way over. At the dwarf's comment, however, his fury comes fully to the fore. His yellow eyes practically blaze in the fire's light. His chains writhe beneath his outfit.

"Your brother sent us to check on you. And you betrayed him. You lied to us." The word is spat out like a curse.

"It makes sense now. You wanted us to stay away because it was already here. Magic told us that the mephit is here."

Azur's manner becomes menacing as he advances slowly on the dwarf, chain in hand. His eyes seem to stare into the dwarf's soul.

"Now, I'm going to ask one last time. Where is it?"
Intimidate: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

Erik Vale
2014-09-10, 06:35 PM
Having found nothing [as he expected], Borris heads downstairs, towards the loud talking, but only near the door, cursing when he realizes Azur didn't grab a guard.

He doesn't, however, enter the room, instead staying out of sight, preparing to blast the Mephit when he sees it, if it doesn't immediately surrender.

Plerumque
2014-09-10, 06:50 PM
"I have no idea what you're talking about," the dwarf says calmly. "Magic told you a mephit was here? Perhaps the gods themselves spoke to you and told you I was guilty? Or the little fairies of the magic mushroom circle?" His scorn is palpable.

Prehysterical
2014-09-10, 07:03 PM
Sorry, Lawful Evil is about to come into effect.

Those words were the last straw. And the poor dwarf didn't even know it.

Howling in rage, Azur lashes out with his chains at the dwarf.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
Attack 2: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Crit Confirm 2: [roll6]
Crit Damage 2: [roll7]

Plerumque
2014-09-10, 07:29 PM
The dwarf ducks partly out of the way, and the blow that makes contact seems to glance off something under his clothes, knocking him backwards but not injuring him. "Well, now, that's hardly polite." He rolls backwards and stands next to the forge, grabbing a halberd from a nearby rack. "It's true I mostly do armor, but I've never found it good to box oneself in too much. Choose your blows carefully, for if you miss again you may not get another chance." As he's speaking, a small shape swoops down from inside the chimney and darts toward Azur, swiping out with burning claws.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2] fire

Erik Vale
2014-09-10, 08:51 PM
Borris rushes into the room. While he's not certain what exactly is going on, he knows the Mephit needs subdueing, gathers a blast of eldritch energy from the doorway, and throws it, missing in his rush.

Touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Yup. That's a miss.

Prehysterical
2014-09-11, 09:22 PM
"Traitor!"

As much as he wishes to come to grips with Agnar, Azur is forced to deal with the elemental swiping at his face.
Crit confirm 1: [roll2]
Crit Damage 1: [roll3]
Crit confirm 2: [roll6]

Plerumque
2014-09-12, 05:41 AM
The mephit evades the first swipe, but the second bites deep into its flesh. Examining itself curiously, it closes its eyes and a massive burst of fireworks erupt from the forge behind it, flashing all different colors and swarming around the room, but winking out before they touch the high ceiling.

I'll need a DC 14 Will save from both of you against being blinded for [roll0] rounds.

Agnar's save: [roll1]

Erik Vale
2014-09-12, 05:47 AM
Borris quickly gathers eldritch energy, throwing it just before the erruption and focusing solo on the Imp, preventing the image from hurting his eyes.

Hit: [roll0]

Yea... Touch attacks are easy to hit with... riiiight...

Prehysterical
2014-09-12, 01:53 PM
"Nice trick," Azur snarls mockingly.

His chains swing and dance at the mephit.
Crit Confirm 1: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Plerumque
2014-09-12, 05:40 PM
The mephit begins to look panicked as Azur's first swing opens up a long cut in its body, blood the color of bronze spattering on the floor. It takes another swipe with its claw and beats its wings, shooting backwards and hovering in the flame of the forge, where its wounds begin to seal back up.

Prehysterical
2014-09-12, 05:57 PM
"Oh no, you don't!"

Azur moves forward, continuing to swing at the elemental with his chains.

Erik Vale
2014-09-12, 08:32 PM
Borris throughs another blast at the mephit, scowling... but having just as much luck.

[roll0]
[roll1]

At least I can rest easy knowing my normal +2 from Dex wouldn't be helping me given the dice roller.

Plerumque
2014-09-13, 08:15 PM
The mephit dodges each assault, bobbing in the flame. As its wounds continue to grow shallower, it swipes out with a claw again. Meanwhile, Agnar feels his way to the wall, and begins to inch towards the door.

Erik Vale
2014-09-13, 08:37 PM
"Agnar! Stay!"

Borris throws another bolt at the creature, ready to follow should Agnar keep trying to leave.

[roll0]
[roll1]

... That might hit. If I had my dex I could be confident it would hit... Damn.

Prehysterical
2014-09-13, 10:27 PM
"You're not leaving!"

Frustrated by his inability to hurt the mephit, Azur turns his wrath upon the blind dwarf.

Plerumque
2014-09-13, 10:39 PM
The chains lash out twice and the dwarf topples forwards, blood spilling out of the wounds to stain the floorboards. The mephit remains basking in the fire, not following Azur.

Realized I forgot to roll for last round.

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Erik Vale
2014-09-13, 11:30 PM
"Azur!"
Borris throws another frustrated blast at the mephit, again swinging wide in avoiding Azur.

Hit: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-09-15, 12:54 PM
Having dealt with the dwarf, Azur returns his attention to the fiend in the forge.

Only in fire does it heal...

As Borris launches another blast, Azur moves forward to grab the mephit and pull it away. The fire, strangely, has no effect on him.
Melee Touch Attack: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-09-15, 03:32 PM
The mephit laughs, a sound like a burst of sparks sent up from a bonfire. Dancing backwards, it lashes out with a pair of claws.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Prehysterical
2014-09-16, 12:30 PM
Cursing as the mephit scratches, Azur moves back and says

"Borris! We need to put the fire out!"

Azur moves to shift the forge's quenching water barrel to the fireplace.

Erik Vale
2014-09-16, 08:12 PM
"Do that! I'll keep it distracted."
Borris strides forward, not quite into claw reach, as he throws another bolt.

[roll0]
[roll1]

:smallyuk::smallannoyed::smallsigh:
I'll be praying to Tymora later... Or be doing some training with Azur.

Plerumque
2014-09-16, 09:05 PM
Azur can easily haul the barrel over to the forge as Borris engages the mephit. Too late, he sees what's coming, and his eyes open wide as the water gushes onto the forge. Steam envelops the room, the mephit's glaring red eyes becoming visible through the fog. The outer layer of the lava making up his hair and skin seems to have cooled, becoming a thin, shifting layer of rock as cracks break through to the hot magma within.

The mephit takes [roll0] damage.

Prehysterical
2014-09-17, 10:59 PM
"Got you now, you little wretch!"

Azur's chains strike out again at the mephit.

Erik Vale
2014-09-18, 04:54 AM
Borris smiles as he throws a much close blast. However, this time he misses in a effort to avoid Azur.

Blast:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Plerumque
2014-09-18, 06:38 AM
Azur's chains smash twice into the mephit, and it begins to fall apart, shards of its outer rock skin burying themselves in the floor. Then its magma body collapses into a pool on the stone floor, cooling rapidly before your eyes.

And that's enough XP to take you to second level.

Erik Vale
2014-09-18, 06:48 AM
"Step back! Don't want it to be melting your shoes or... Crap..."
Borris rushes to Agnar, checking him over to see if he's alive.

Heal check: [roll0] to stabalise him if he is... And to check what injuries he has besides the chains.

Plerumque
2014-09-21, 09:09 AM
Agnar is still breathing. Blood continues to pool around him, but Borris' efforts are ineffectual in staunching the flow.

Erik Vale
2014-09-22, 05:22 AM
"Azur... Go get someone to help... Damn..."
Borris keeps trying to staunch the flow as best he's able, tearing Agnar's clothes if need be to make bandages, if possible.

Borris will keep rolling first aid until he either get's help, or Agnar dies. I'll roll 9, because by then he'll have definately bled out.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Ok, if he was on -6 or above when I first assisted, he should be stable.

Plerumque
2014-09-22, 05:01 PM
As Borris wraps Agnar's back in bandages, the blood begins to slow, finally just a trickle staining the bandages. Agnar's condition seems to have stopped worsening, but he should still probably get medical attention as quickly as possible.

Prehysterical
2014-09-22, 05:24 PM
As Borris tends to Agnar's wounds, a war is going on in Azur's mind.

A darker, more practical side, says that it would be better if Agnar had died in a fire caused by the fight with the mephit. Retribution would be served, both for the people and for his own wounded pride.

On the other hand... Azur's mind goes back to the image of Agnar's concerned brother. His fists clench resolutely. No. I am not a demon. I will not take his family away.

Swallowing his pride and bursting out into the street, Azur yells, "Help! Help! We need a healer! Someone is dying!" He continues to run down the streets, hoping for anyone that can help.

Plerumque
2014-09-26, 09:13 PM
People begin to congregate, rushing out of the nearby shops and peering from the windows, looking curiously at Agnar's shop and the yellow-eyed man calling for a healer. After a few minutes, someone runs up gasping for breath and says that he's a medic. "What's wrong?" he asks. "Who's hurt?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-26, 10:10 PM
Grabbing the man by his arm, Azur starts to lead him toward the forge.

"Agnar the smith. He's bleeding badly. If he doesn't get help soon, he might die."

Plerumque
2014-09-27, 08:05 AM
The man grimaces when he sees the smith. He gently removes Borris' makeshift bandages, stuck to the dwarf's back with blood, and winds real ones around the wound. That done, he almost reverentially withdraws a slender wand from a sheath at his hip and touches it to Agnar's back- once, twice. Agnar begins to stir and moan, and the medic sighs. "He'll still need long-term care, but he should be well enough to transport now."

Prehysterical
2014-09-29, 02:16 PM
"Make sure to post guards by his bedside. He was working with the fire mephit, and who knows if he is still dangerous."

Turning to Borris, he says, "Shall we continue the hunt, or did you want to rest?"

Plerumque
2014-09-29, 05:10 PM
The doctor nods and silently withdraws, and a few minutes later the dwarf is being carried out on a stretcher.

Erik Vale
2014-09-30, 08:39 PM
Borris furrows his brow in thought.
"The others are minor annoyances, I think we need to deal with any blow back from this first, and find out what we can from Agnar. Should he have not been being threatened into cooperation, he may know where the others are hiding."

Plerumque
2014-10-05, 08:42 PM
The medic directs the men holding the stretcher to make their way across town, to a small building with the holy symbol of the god of healing displayed above the door. "I expect it will take some time for him to regain consciousness," the medic says, as Agnar is lowered onto a cot. "I can let you know when he wakes up, if you wish."

Jord is in the same room as when Azur left, a gilt-edged tome open on his desk. Without looking up, he says, "You're back. Without your companion, I note. I hope you bring a story of success?" He turns the page.

Prehysterical
2014-10-05, 09:09 PM
"Borris is fine. He is escorting the traitor Agnar to the infirmary. And yes..."

Walking forward, he dumps the ashen remains of the mephit on the desk. He is careful to keep it away from the tome that Jord is reading.

"The fire mephit will trouble you no longer. I wanted to come in and make a status report. I will seek my friend out and we shall see about ridding you of the rest. We might need to give the town wizards time, however. It was their magic that allowed us to locate this one, and I would rather wait a day than spend the next three pounding on doors throughout the settlement."

Erik Vale
2014-10-05, 09:13 PM
Borris Nods
"Thank you. I shall be back with coin to pay for this, and to watch him."

Borris steps outside, memorizing the place before heading back to the guild, keeping a careful eye for landmarks.