PDA

View Full Version : Mage Class in a low-magic setting

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-02-04, 10:40 PM
Since in a low magic setting casters dominate more than usual i am changing around the casters so that only two magic using base classes exist and one PrC. I am using the truespeaker and warlock as the two base classes, mechanically unchanged (warlocks will have either fiendish or fey sources of power). However, i've added a mage PrC for a traditional caster. It is 15 levels, with the follow stats: HD, skill, BAB and saves as the wizard class. requires: Knowledge (arcana) and spellcraft to have 8 ranks, the ability to speak draconic, and access to magical tomes/a tutor suffcient to learn magic (mostly an RP requirement, won't be a huge obstacle for PCs, but will still require a little work) at 3rd, 6th 9th and 12th level the mage gains a bonus feat like the wizard class, and a +1 caster level boost at 5th, 9th and 13th. At 15th level a +2 to caster level, spellcraft and knowledge arcana (maybe UMD too, if i make it a class skill). Spell-wise they will get up to 5th level spells. starting with 0 first level spells (only bonus spells) and gaining a new level every 3 levels (capping with 5th level spells at 13th level). At every level they gain knowledge of one spell and cannot learn them otherwise unless they take a feat that grants an extra spell. cantrip wise, they start casting 3 per day and it increases to 6 by 13th level (where it caps). I am likely going to give them access to all cantrips or maybe learn 3 at first and every 4 levels after that. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Sorry about the wall of text but i can't figure out how to make a table.

icke
2007-02-06, 09:18 AM
IfYouwouldhavehadthekindnesstoincludeformattingtab lesandthelikethensomebodymighthavereadYourpost.

Here's a tip: copy/paste the tables out of other posts, the formatting is taken over, too.

Now to Your class:
Which spell lists do Your Mages draw spells from and what abilities doe they use to cast them?
Are they all wizards or do You want clerics, sorcerers and druids, too?

Fredderf
2007-02-06, 07:10 PM
Low magic campaigns work well with the d20 modern rulings. Check out their SRD if you get the time.