PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spells/Powers as Class Features for Noncasters?

Big Fau
2014-04-04, 10:05 AM
What spells or powers, in your opinion, would be thematically appropriate as class features for noncasters? Things like Shield Other for the Crusader/Knight/Fighter, or Jump for Ninja/Rogue/Scout, or Haste for the Barbarian/Everyone, are what I'm looking for. Something like Gate or Genesis wouldn't be that appropriate (but I've always felt that casters shouldn't have things like Genesis anyway).

It doesn't have to be a per-day thing either; if the spell would be OK for 24/7 use feel free to list it.

iceman10058
2014-04-04, 11:11 AM
i always thought any caster should be able to cast detect magic for free whenever he/she wanted to.
and clerics should be able to detect their opposite alignments whenever as well too.

squiggit
2014-04-04, 11:21 AM
Always felt like spells like Flare, Glitterdust, Grease and Obscuring mist (etc) would be really good on a utility belt style character. A rogue or ninja or factotum or maybe ranger.

hymer
2014-04-04, 11:33 AM
Some thoughts out of the blue:
Abilities to sense or detect things (Detect Evil/Undead, etc. and things akin to See Invisibility and Zone of Truth) spring to mind. Shatter at melee range. Instilling your spirit in weapons or armour could give them enhancement bonuses, perhaps. Protection from Arrows if you develop really thick skin.

Edit: Nerveskitter, Darkvision, Speak with Animals.

Big Fau
2014-04-05, 12:20 PM
Any other ideas? There's hundreds of spells out there, I'm sure more than just these could be converted into class features.

squiggit
2014-04-05, 01:05 PM
Nondetection and similar spells as a high level rogue gimmick sounds cool. So sneaky they can even evade divinations