PDA

View Full Version : Level Adjustment Issues

Raishoiken
2014-04-04, 10:57 AM
so i plan on trying my hand at DMing here in a little while, and one of my main concerns is expanding on the level adjustment system. we all know that there are many things that were left out of Savage Species that shouldn't have been, so i've tried expanding on it. by all means this isn't the full extent of what i want the finished product to be. i'm looking for critique and suggestions, the list will be edited here and there based on what i find appropriate. all help appreciated. clarification will be given if needed, just ask

(note: mitigation based on higher levels has not been taken into account yet, but it will be in games and hopefully in the list soon, too)

Ability Scores:

per +6 total: +1

per -6 total: -1

Size:

Small and smaller -1

Natural Armor Bonus:

any and per +5: +1

Speed:

Swim: +1

Fly: +1, or +2 if good or perfect maneuverability

Climb: +1

Burrow:

+1 if earth glide(ish)

+1 for every 30ft above 30

Natural Weapons:

+1 if they give the creature more attacks in a round than a fighter (not two-weapon fighter)

+1 if they do more damage than a (normal) martial weapon it could wield in one hand

Reach:

+1 per 5ft above 5ft

Skills:

for every 3 racial skill bonuses: +1

for every +12 to an individual skill: +1

Feats:

for every 3 racial bonus feats: +1

for every racial bonus feat that can be chosen: +1

Ability Score Damage:

+1, +2 if constitution damage

+1 for every 2 die sizes above the size class norm

Poison:

+1, +2 if constitution damage

+1 for every 2 die sizes above the size class norm

spellcasting ability:

above what a normal caster (caster level = HD/class level) can do: +1 for each level above norm

apply for each racial spellcasting class

each extra spellcasting class above the first at norm +1

Breath Weapons:
+1

if deals more damage than ECL appropriate area spell (assuming min +1 for breath weapon), extra +1 or more

deals ability damage (see above)

if has twice or more area of ECL appropriate area spell, +1 or more

constrict: +1, more if excessive damage

damage reduction: +1, +2 if effective against something other than an enhancement bonus

+1 per 5 over 5

Fast Healing:

+1

+1 per 3 healed above 3

Fear ability: +1

Frightful Presence: +1, +1 per 50ft above 100

Gaze: +1

Regeneration:
+2

+1 per 5 above 5

+5 if unpassable

Blindsight:

+1

+0 if blind otherwise

Scent:

+1

spell/power resistance:

for every 3 points above 10+HD: +1

Resistance to Energy:

per energy type +1/2

per 5 points above 5 +1

Improved Grab: +1

Energy Drain: +2, more if needed

Swallow Whole: +2

Trample: +2

turn resistance 6 or higher: +1 or higher

Wish ability: +3

Construct: +1

Elemental: +1

Plant: +1

Undead: +2

Incorporeal subtype: +2

Spell-like/Supernatural abilities: variable

OldTrees1
2014-04-04, 12:44 PM
1) The best thing that came out of Savage Species was the guideline that LA is build dependent.
Ex: Smaller sizes are either a drawback(str based melee) or an advantage(most of everything else).

2) Often components are overpriced for LA. (this remains a problem for most of your list) My personal guideline is to compare to a character that gets a good class feature every level (a spellcaster, a multiclassing martial or a multiclassing skillmoney)

Sidenote: Good +0LA races often had something that was almost worth +1LA (Either as a racial ability or a race specific option). So I suggest calculating the LA of a race and then subtracting 1.

Flight is well priced at the +1(average or worse) or +2(good or perfect) although speed should be a factor. 40ft(Average) is a good benchmark for a +1LA. 40ft(Perfect) would be a good benchmark for +2LA. However faster speeds would be worth more LA.

Swim, Climb and most Burrow speeds are not worth a full +1LA. I would give +1LA for Earth glide or higher

Skills:
If a character wanted skills they would be considering between +1 Rogue level and +1 LA. So for racial skill bonuses to be worth +1LA they need to be sufficiently greater than 8+Int skill points to justify losing the HD, BAB and Saves of a level of Rogue.

Feats:
I would go with +1LA per 2 decent/good feats. 2 poor/weak/bad feats do not deserve +1 LA. Poor feats used as Prerequisites by a build count as decent feats. Unassigned bonus feats(like human) might also be worth +1LA (remembering that I suggested subtracting 1 after calculating LA by this method)

3)I like to this there are things worth major(LA) and minor(RHD) level adjustments. If something is merely as good as the class features a single level could give, then it might only be worth a minor level adjustment.

Urpriest
2014-04-04, 02:18 PM
If you're going to do the work to homebrew LA, you might as well do the work to use a superior homebrew system.