View Full Version : LE War Deity with a LE slant

eastmabl
2014-04-04, 11:33 AM
In the coming adventure for the campaign I'm DMing, the party will be going to a kingdom that recently has changed the state religion. Formerly, this nation was adherents of St. Cuthbert (LN with the LG tinge); they have turned to another LN deity, who counts War amongst his domains, whose adherents can only be LN or LE and who can only channel negative energy.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a deity that matches this description in any of the D&D settings. We use Greyhawk-lite out of the PHB for ease, so I'm not wedded to going outside the pantheon to find a god who matches this. Does anyone know of a deity who might fall somewhere in these parameters? I could homebrew, but prefer to adapt as necessary from existing material.

Thanks.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-04-04, 12:58 PM
Hextor has the war domain you can simply add the "only channel negative energy" restriction. I'm also fairly certain Bane from the forgotten realms is also LE with the war domain.

I can also provide you with my own home brew deity if you wish to adapt him

Name: Hiraxus Blackhand
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Domain: Domination, Destruction, War, Evil, and Law
Symbol: A Sword shoved into a cracked alter.
Portfolio: Tyranny, Conquest, War and Hobgoblins
Favored weapon: Longsword
Divine Rank: Greater Deity
Plane of Existence: Known as the Iron Throne, it is a plane of metal, stone and fire dominated by massive fortresses.

History: Having been born mortal Hiraxus is one of the few deities
whose history can be traced to his very beginnings. His human mother Kayla was reputedly a powerful Diviner and planeswalker hailing from the Magocracy city of Gracis. She returned from a trip exploring the outer planes pregnant in the year -132: 3E[988:2E]. Hiraxus's infernal heritage was evident from the moment of his birth and Kayla was forced to flee the city with him.

The following forty years of his life are shrouded in mystery beyond him living as a mercenary and adventurer. The texts of The Great Sage Augustus state Hiraxus lived as paladin for a time before succumbing to his fiendish heritage but the official church doctrine considers that history blasphemous.

It was in the year -95:3E[1030:2E] the Death Knight Gottmörder slew the demigod Na'Luna using the power of The Godslayer sword. The death knight went on to slay three more demigods before his deicidal campaign was finally ended when forces led by Hiraxus slew him in battle. It was then that Hiraxus offered to destroy the Godslayer sword but in exchange he was to be granted godhood. The gods accepted his offer and thus the blade was vanquished and The God of Tyranny was born.

Over next four centuries Hiraxus slowly amassed divine power but his attempts to move beyond demigod and into the realms of full-fledged deity were always thwarted by the efforts of Kalar God of Justice and Garthos God of Slaughter. But in the year 315 of the 3rd Era Hiraxus decided enough was enough. He approached Kalar with a bargain. For three hundred years the continent of Khazadorm and many other parts of the world had been torn by civil war and strife due to the machinations of Garthos after the collapse of the Great Kingdom. He offered Kalar a shard of the godslayer sword, its power though faded could be enough to tip the balance of power and allow The God of Justice to finally put an end to the God of Slaughter.

Kalar was not so foolish as to accept the shard outright and demanded that Hiraxus be the one to use the shard while he fought Garthos head on. During Kalar and Gartho’s the titanic battle, Hiraxus stabbed the god of slaughter from behind which weakened him enough for Kalar to finally finish him the blood god of slaughter for good.. The God of Justice reclaimed his severed hand from around Gartho's neck while Hiraxus's left hand became shriveled and black as result of using the shard earning him the name Blackhand.

With the God of Slaughter dead the fuel behind the chaos in Khazadorm and other parts of the world was gone, and Hiraxus's followers moved into to establish his own brand of order and security. The people tired of the centuries of strife surrendered to his will in droves for the promise of safety and security. Within three centuries he'd established himself as a Greater Deity. It was during this time the first tribes of Hobgoblins converted to his church and away from Maglubiyet.

In 735:3E Maglubiyet god of goblins declared war on the church of Blackhand as more and more Hobgoblins converted to Blackhand for the promise of legitimacy in civilized lands. In 776:3E, The Garr Empire establishes the vassal state of Voradoom on a volcanic island in Bleak bay north of Khazadorm's mainland, It is to be the homeland for the nations growing Hobgoblin population. Four years later The state religion of Voradoom is declared to be that of Blackhand and the worship of the old goblin deity is outlawed in Imperial territory.

By 975:3E Hiraxus emerged victorious against Maglybiyet and wrestled the portfolio of Hobgoblins away from their creator.

Dogma: Hiraxus teaches that the world is filled with disorder, chaos, destruction and anarchy and that only tyranny has the power to provide safety and security to the world. He preaches that the ends justify the means and creating the perfect world of safety and security requires sacrifice. That absolute loyalty to a higher authority is key to maintaining a perfect world. A good leader makes the people fear him, but a great leader makes the people fear going without him even more. Those who surrender to his will are granted every courtesy except freedom.

Practices: The church of Hiraxus celebrates the punishment of law breakers especially executions. For public executions the faithful gather and sing hymns of praise as the condemned is led to his death. For instances where executions are not open to the public they gather outside the prison.

GhorrinRedblade
2014-04-04, 01:51 PM
I know you specifically said LN, but my mind immediately jumped to Hextor. Is there a strong reason you can't just shoehorn him into this spot, LE alignment notwithstanding?

Ghorrin

BWR
2014-04-04, 02:17 PM
While not Lawful Neutral, you could reflavor Tempus (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tempus)from the Forgotten Realms or Vanya (http://www.pandius.com/vanya.html)from Mystara (despite her N/LN alignment her ruthlessness and dedication to war and combat above all else makes me think of her as slightly evil)