PDA

View Full Version : How does one Stand?(JoJo)

Saambell
2014-04-04, 11:59 AM
I'm getting set to run a game with my group after our current game ends, and one of the group has inquired about using Stands in 3,5.

If anyone knows about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure then they know what I am talking about. For those that don't know a Stand is a personification of your soul that can manifest and fight for you, often with some fancy abilities. The 2 most famous can Stop Time. Others have repair/healing, String, Fire, Local Weather control, and a few other really odd ones.

I had no idea how that could be done easiest in D&D 3.5 so I told him I would try to find out. This Forum seems full of people who know most of the rules by heart so I had hoped someone could point me to a book that lets you do something similar to how Stands work.

If I get really desperate I guess I could fluff a sorcerer who has spells that are all in line with the Theme of the Stand as using a Stand, but having an official way to do this would be great. Even a link to some homebrew of Stands would be good.

The Oni
2014-04-04, 01:56 PM
What I'd do is adapt the Summoner from Pathfinder. All you'll need to change is skills.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner

Now your Eidolon is your Stand. For the really weird abilities, homebrew your own Evolutions.

Prime32
2014-04-04, 06:01 PM
If I get really desperate I guess I could fluff a sorcerer who has spells that are all in line with the Theme of the Stand as using a Stand, but having an official way to do this would be great. Even a link to some homebrew of Stands would be good.Isn't the whole point of Stands that they don't follow any set pattern, so you never know what to expect? I mean, a lot of them are independent creatures that follow the owner's mental commands, but even within that group you have things like Stands that can't attack, or which are impossibly big or small, or can only use their powers in extremely specific circumstances...
Basically, a Stand-user is someone with PC levels and weird fluff (e.g. "I have ninja levels, my Ghost Step class feature is actually a spirit dude punching me out of reality for a few seconds").

The best system for running a JoJo game would be FATE (http://fate-srd.com/), since its combat focuses on introducing and reinterpeting aspects of a scene or character on the fly in order to give yourself an advantage (in JoJo it's pretty much impossible to win a fight without exploiting your surroundings and your opponents' weaknesses). And any situation from diplomacy to climbing a slippery wall to cheating at poker can be run as a combat with all associated flashiness, without requiring special rules.

Kennisiou
2014-04-05, 12:33 AM
I had a player want to do this recently and we worked on a custom leadership feat that gave him a ghost cohort that followed ghostwalk rules and was, like, always occupying his square, acted on his initiative, and could only take standard actions or full round actions (but only full-round if the character with the feat hadn't moved that turn). Never got so far as playing it in an actual game and am still not sure if we wound up making a less broken or more broken version of the leadership feat. Even if it was less broken "not as OP as leadership" is still a wide swath of "probably too strong in certain high-op scenarios" that a lot of tables won't want to touch.

Forrestfire
2014-04-05, 01:02 AM
Psionics. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a)

The Personal Construct ACF lets you summon up a specific astral construct you can make as a swift action by expending your psionic focus, without spending power points. You can fluff the rest of your powers as manifestations of the Stand as well, and the different abilities you can put on an astral construct help for customizing it.

Heck, if everyone wants to be a Stand User, one way to simplify it would be to just give everyone this ACF as an added ability, keyed to character level as their Manifester Level.