PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Jedi Build

Ralcos
2014-04-04, 12:12 PM
I've been a lot of build ideas, and for that I apologize. My head gets chock full of ideas.

Anyways, as it says on the tin: How could I make a Jedi in D&D?
I was thinking like Monk 2 / Psychic Warrior ? / Exotic Weapon Master 3 (Focused on Bastard Sword) / Psychic Warrior ?

Maybe add in 1 level of Samurai for the Ancestral Daisho bonuses to weapon (waiting and saving up to make the Bastard Sword a Ghost Touch and Brilliant Light weapon?)

So, without further ado... How could I make this viable?

Also, could we also homebrew a psionic power that makes a weapon throwable and can return to the weilder?

Gwaednerth
2014-04-04, 12:39 PM
Dunno if it exists in 3.5 but in PF there is a prestige class that's all about one handed fighting. Also, returning weapons are a thing and I am fairly certain trowing magic weapons exist too.

Andezzar
2014-04-04, 12:53 PM
If you want thrown returning melee weapons Bloodstorm Blade is the way to go.

The Soulbound Weapon ACF (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) may also be interesting.

What do you want to get out of Exotic weapon master?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-04, 01:09 PM
I'd go Monk 2/Psiwar 18, possibly jumping into Slayer for added gish ability. Take Ancestral Relic for your lightsaber.

Xerlith
2014-04-04, 01:21 PM
A lightsaber was not a brilliant energy weapon -it affected non-living matter pretty well. :smalltongue:

I'd say Swordsage/Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade if you want returning weapons, War Mind for manifesting.

John Longarrow
2014-04-04, 01:43 PM
IIRC, Soul knife creates their own blade of energy at will... Makes for the thematic effect of a lightsaber. They can throw it to.

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-04, 01:59 PM
Well I just finished playing a Warlock with a Warblade 1 dip for Leaping Dragon Stance + Sudden Leap. I can totally tell you: the Sith feel was amazing. The jumps were very jedi-like, specially since LDS lets you jump amazing distances from place to place without taking a run just like with Force Jump. I managed to deal amazing damage with the Eldritch Glaive which I always used in conjunction with the Lightsaber app from my phone. The at-will Detect Magic served just like the uncanny sense force-sensitives have to detect everything (I really wanted to pick up Hunter's Sense to complement that too but I was feat-starved). I also had Baleful Utterance which was like Force Crush, and deflecting arrows with Entropic Warding was just icing on the cake.

Talashatora Monk 1/Soulblade + sounds pretty good too, even though SB sucks. (Yeah, I know, Soulblades don't even have power point progression but to me they're still psionic).

paperarmor
2014-04-04, 02:35 PM
Wilder with a Dorje of Psychic Scimitar would work pretty well.

Yue Ryong
2014-04-04, 05:11 PM
The best representation I've ever come up with for a lightsaber has been a wand of Flame Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm), possibly customised into an at-will magic item. Aside from that... PsyWar is probably your strongest bet, with the odd feat pickup to handle the less-fighty force tricks.

Andezzar
2014-04-04, 05:16 PM
IIRC, Soul knife creates their own blade of energy at will... Makes for the thematic effect of a lightsaber. They can throw it to.The Soul Knife whoever is strictly inferior to the psychic warrior with the Call Weaponry Power - wit hor without the Soulbound Weapon ACF.

Wilder with a Dorje of Psychic Scimitar would work pretty well.Where can I find this power?

malonkey1
2014-04-04, 06:35 PM
The Soul Knife whoever is strictly inferior to the psychic warrior with the Call Weaponry Power - wit hor without the Soulbound Weapon ACF.

While I agree in the context of 3.5, Dreamscarred Press's Psionics for Pathfinder makes that untrue (in my opinion. It really depends how much you like the Blade Talents)

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-04, 07:30 PM
If you want to be a jedi, you should be a dominant ideal Ardent with this mantle:

The Force (Force Mantle)
Granted Power: While psionically focused, you gain a +1 deflection bonus to your Armor Class.
1.Detect Psionics (1): You detect the presence of psionics.
2.Know Direction & Location (1): You discover where you are and what direction you face.
3.Mindlink (1): You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.
4.Vigor (1): Gain 5 temporary hit points.
5.Psionic Suggestion (2): Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
6.Read Thoughts (2): Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
7.Telekinetic Maneuver (4): Telekinetically bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip your target.
8.Psionic Divination (4): Provides useful advice for specific proposed action.
9.Correspond (4): Hold mental conversation with another creature at any distance.
10.Remote Viewing (4): See, hear, and potentially interact with subjects at a distance.

And a Lightsaber is a:

Feycraft Adamantine +1 Hideaway Shocking Flaming Parrying Defending Longsword.

Remember you can use a longsword one handed or two handed.

And just use..

"Telekinetic Maneuver (4): Telekinetically bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip your target." like the Jedi in the movies do...

So... an old thing I made some time ago...

Adverb
2014-04-04, 09:39 PM
The best representation I've ever come up with for a lightsaber has been a wand of Flame Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm), possibly customised into an at-will magic item. Aside from that... PsyWar is probably your strongest bet, with the odd feat pickup to handle the less-fighty force tricks.

Brilliant Energy weapons are sort of lightsabery, but they don't cut through non-living stuff, which includes undead. (A BE weapon is less useful versus undead than a nonmagical weapon.) There's a better lightsaber thing but I can't remember what it is. Dammit, I was just thinking of this yesterday.

Ring of the Ram and/or Mage Hand type spells are good. Wall of Blades allows you to parry blaster shots with your weapon. Shadow Garrote is force choke. There's other jumpy stuff in ToB, which is good.

The prophetic abilities are a little tricky.

Seerow
2014-04-04, 10:36 PM
Try to dip 2 levels into Monk or Rogue, and use the Spell Reflection ACF in place of Evasion. Use your lightsaber to deflect ray spells back at the owner. (Works well with some of the suggested Tashalatora builds, since it's only one extra level. Monk 2 gets you the extra +1 to all saves, spell reflection, and another bonus feat).

iceman10058
2014-04-04, 11:09 PM
a flaming vorpal bastard sword is the closest thing to a lightsaber i can think of.

Andezzar
2014-04-04, 11:22 PM
While I agree in the context of 3.5, Dreamscarred Press's Psionics for Pathfinder makes that untrue (in my opinion. It really depends how much you like the Blade Talents)I was not aware we are talking about Pathfinder. Neither the OP nor John Longbarrow mentioned that game. The OP only mentioned D&D.

Bugworlds
2014-04-04, 11:39 PM
As for the light saber, I'm thinking the wand of flame blade is a good choice. Enchant that with +1 and the Returning enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#returning); When you make a magic item you choose if it glows or not, or if it's randomly generated there's a 30% chance of it. This acts like the spell Light, and can be covered by sheathing the weapon.

Edit: It has been pointed out that wands are not enchantable like weapons. Weapons and armours are enchantable, a wand is not a weapon. I think there's a way to build 'wand slots' into weapons. If anyone can find the rules for this then that may be needed... ...Would it count if you stuck a tiny sized dagger onto a wand... Returning is also for thrown weapons only.

Edit: Spell storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) perhaps?

Alternatives could be enchanting an item with Flaming (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#flaming). The returning enchantment would also be useful but putting multiple enchantments on things gets the price to be rather pricey, rather quickly.

A weapon with a very high hardness, or can cut through most things (can't think of a specific example) would be decent, and then made to glow. I'm sure there's lots of fun ways to do that.

Edit: I was reminded hardness doesn't work that way.

Now for the force jump. Boots of jumping, bonus strength to jump a bit better, high jump and tumble checks... Perhaps the DM would allow you to use dex as your jump stat? Now for some acrobatics. Cleave, Greater cleave, Spring attack could all help for some better mobility. There are skill tricks for jumping and climbing available in Complete Scoundrel.

Classes, of course we'll need some monk because you can't have a Sith or Jedi without some monk. Wizard/sorcerer (I feel sorcerer would have a better feel) focused on mind altering effects. For a different type of caster a Cleric of the domains Death (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Death_Domain), Destruction (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Destruction_Domain), Madness (for insanity points, for Sith need to be a bit insane) (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Madness_Domain). I'm not too familiar with psionics but I know there are some great tricks you can pull. My friend just suggested Soul Knife.

For physical 'Force effects' I know there are some good telekinesis builds around. I'm sure some features of those could be researched and used. More flavor could be found with electricity...

TWO WIZARDS SHOOTING ELECTRICITY AT EACH OTHER, USING COUNTER SPELLS AND SUCH. SO EPIC.

Andezzar
2014-04-04, 11:50 PM
As for the light saber, I'm thinking the wand of flame blade is a good choice. Enchant that with +1 and the Returning enchantment; or what ever it's name is.It does not work that way. A wand is not a magic weapon even if it contains a weaponlike spell. +1 and returning can only be put on weapons.

When you make a magic item you choose if it glows or not, or if it's randomly generated there's a 30% chance of it. This acts like the spell Light, and can be covered by sheathing the weapon.Again this only applies to magic weapons.

A weapon with a very high hardness, or can cut through most things (can't think of a specific example) would be decent, and then made to glow. I'm sure there's lots of fun ways to do that.An item's hardness does not change what materials it can easily cut through. The only hardness ignoring material in the DMG is adamantine.

Now for some acrobatics. Cleave, Greater cleave, Spring attack could all help for some better mobility.Cleave might be nice, but I would not especially associate that feat with a Jedi. Great Cleave and Spring attack are terrible feats.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-05, 07:27 PM
Guys, I already described a lightsaber:

Feycraft makes it finesseable
Adamantine makes it cut through stuff
Hideaway makes it small and be able to be a small weapon and then an extended blade from a hilt.
Shocking and Flaming make it hot and give it that snap-hiss
Parrying and Defending help you deflect stuff with it
Longsword makes it a straight cutting weapon that can be held in one hand or two.

paperarmor
2014-04-05, 07:35 PM
Where can I find this power?

It's in Complete Psionic

Andezzar
2014-04-05, 08:00 PM
Guys, I already described a lightsaber:

Feycraft makes it finesseable
Adamantine makes it cut through stuff
Hideaway makes it small and be able to be a small weapon and then an extended blade from a hilt.
Shocking and Flaming make it hot and give it that snap-hiss
Parrying and Defending help you deflect stuff with it
Longsword makes it a straight cutting weapon that can be held in one hand or two.And that weapon only costs
15 gp (Longsword)
+3000 gp (adamantine)
+1500 gp (feycraft)
+2000 gp (hideaway)
+1 enhancement bonus (+1)
+1 enhancement bonus (shocking)
+1 enhancement bonus (flaming)
+2 enhancement bonus (parrying)
+1 enhancement bonus (defending)
=78515 gp

It also only deals 1d6 damage if it is sized for medium creatures.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-05, 08:11 PM
And? Lightsabers are rare and valuable, that sounds about right.

And the damage is 1d6+1+1d6+1d6, actually.

And yea, the power of the weapon is the person holding it, not the weapon itself. Which is always the case. An Ardent specced for two handing this thing would be really deadly and dealing hundreds of damage a round.

It's not, yaknow, the actual damage of the weapon with nothing else added to it that matters, it's doing what it is shown to do...

Cut off a guy's arm? That can be done with a normal axe and enough strength -- in real life, too.

Aliek
2014-04-05, 08:14 PM
If up for homebrew I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?169532-Esper-Knight-Essentia-meets-The-Force) might be of interest :smallbiggrin:

Seerow
2014-04-05, 08:28 PM
And that weapon only costs
15 gp (Longsword)
+3000 gp (adamantine)
+1500 gp (feycraft)
+2000 gp (hideaway)
+1 enhancement bonus (+1)
+1 enhancement bonus (shocking)
+1 enhancement bonus (flaming)
+2 enhancement bonus (parrying)
+1 enhancement bonus (defending)
=78515 gp

It also only deals 1d6 damage if it is sized for medium creatures.

Also, you can totally drop the Parrying and Defending Properties. Neither of those is really inherent to the Lightsaber, but rather indicative of how the Jedi use them. Dropping those two properties drops the cost all the way down to 24,500.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-05, 09:03 PM
Also, you can totally drop the Parrying and Defending Properties. Neither of those is really inherent to the Lightsaber, but rather indicative of how the Jedi use them. Dropping those two properties drops the cost all the way down to 24,500.

Can an Ardent or Psychic Warrior defend themselves with their weapon, doing the various deflection things and such, without these properties, though?

toapat
2014-04-05, 09:08 PM
Gestalt Psychic Warrior//Soul Knife would just yield a Jedi outright. Seems odd that no one has mentioned that.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-05, 09:15 PM
Gestalt Psychic Warrior//Soul Knife would just yield a Jedi outright. Seems odd that no one has mentioned that.

Uhh... Soulknifes don't do anything jedi's do?

Jedi use technological things to make useful weapons, not powers to make crappy ones?

The sword is a symbol, a thing their powers make more useful, and not an inherent power...

Seerow
2014-04-05, 09:17 PM
Can an Ardent or Psychic Warrior defend themselves with their weapon, doing the various deflection things and such, without these properties, though?

Those properties don't give you deflection. They give you minor boosts to AC, and parrying a minor boost to saves. You can certainly get the same benefit out of manifested powers (defensive Precognition especially really fits the bill here). Or from Combat Expertise/Fighting Defensively (which would fit the fluff really well).

If you want the actual Deflection thing lightsabers get, the only thing I can think of that gets that is the Spell Reflection ACF I mentioned earlier. In which case you go Passive Way Monk2/Psiwar18 with Spell Reflection and the Tashalatora feat. Monk gets you Wis to AC, the ability to reflect rays that miss you back to the caster, and Combat Expertise, which should cover the defensive aspect nicely. If that's not enough, there's other tricks to improve AC from fighting defensively further which would probably be handy, plus your full 18th level manifesting.

If only there was some way to get the Lightsaber to count as a simple weapon instead of martial, so you could also take Intuitive Strike and get Wis to hit. I guess a dip into Shiba Protector might not be too bad.

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-05, 09:27 PM
If only there was some way to get the Lightsaber to count as a simple weapon instead of martial, so you could also take Intuitive Strike and get Wis to hit. I guess a dip into Shiba Protector might not be too bad.

Refluffed heavy sickle? With Feycraft on it, it's 1d6, finesseable, you can get (I believe?) wis and dex to hit?

toapat
2014-04-05, 09:47 PM
Uhh... Soulknifes don't do anything jedi's do?

Jedi use technological things to make useful weapons, not powers to make crappy ones?

The sword is a symbol, a thing their powers make more useful, and not an inherent power...

Soulknife covers "Has a Glowing Sword" quite well and nothing else

Psychic Warrior provides all the telekinetic kung fu,

If he wanted a badass Aestetic Telekinetic, theres already a class for it. Called Psion. Asking for Jedi means they want the Plasma sword.

nedz
2015-06-30, 06:01 PM
This build needs a bit more work — it's a WIP

Lucky Luke
Rogue 2 / Warlock 1 / Beguiler 1 / X / Fortune's Friend 5
Basically use Luck feats in place of the force
May the Luck be with you

Rogue for evasion or spell deflection
Warlock for Eldritch Glaive
Beguiler for the mind effecting stuff

X is +2 levels of either more Warlock or Beguiler
Exit into Unseen Seer

DMVerdandi
2015-06-30, 08:13 PM
Alright, so firstly lets make the lightsaber while it's still in my mind.

Hiding,Prismatic burst,Prismatic Burst Longsword. Boom. It turns on, glows energetically, and on command turns into a metal cylinder.

As far as the Jedi, I think a good way of doing it is by using a spell-point Cleric.
One must remember, though the force is within living things, it is also a cosmic...well force, with what seems to be a will and intention.

So Cleric of Force and (Depending on what you want the powers to be, Healing,protection,nature, or any other spectrums of Jedi Philosophy), and have the cleric at first level take spontaneous domain casting ACF.
Pick force for a more telekinetic jedi, or if you want a different type of force power (maybe illusion, or mind) choose a different one.

Another reason I didn't really gravitate towards Psionics (Although I love the system), is that there are so many powers and ideas about the force that the cleric just does well. It also happens to be a warrior-priest type of class and has a decent foundation, but can really buff itself to high heaven, not unlike a jedi relying on the force to make itself stronger.

Then, It is also very Alignment based. Alignment means almost nothing to a Psion or Psychic warrior, but can be everything to a cleric. Lawful good clerics can obviously Jedi Well, Lawful Evil do sith well, Chaotic evil do Dark Jedi well, and chaotic good does like, living force jedi well.

It might also be interesting to do Sith Lords as maybe Convert Spell to power Erudites.
Sith access the force completely differently, using it to forcefully change things, rather than being harmonious.
Stp erudites still get all the psionic stuff, but also have higher access to the arcane, just as the Sith do.

Just to show the difference in one who is one with the force, and one who dominates the force using the strength of their minds.

Andezzar
2015-06-30, 08:24 PM
Hiding,Prismatic burst,Prismatic Burst Longsword. Boom. It turns on, glows energetically, and on command turns into a metal cylinder.
That's not what prismatic burst does:
Whenever you score a successful critical
hit with this weapon, multicolored light springs from the gems and cascades along its blade or head, subjecting the target to a prismatic spray effect (save DC 20; see spell description, PH 264). This effect activates even if the target is not normally subject to extra damage from critical hits.

DMVerdandi
2015-06-30, 08:46 PM
That's not what prismatic burst does:
Sorry, I double typed Prismatic burst.
The second is supposed to be ENERGY AURA

atemu1234
2015-06-30, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I double typed Prismatic burst.
The second is supposed to be ENERGY AURA

Why is that in all caps?

Red Rubber Band
2015-06-30, 10:36 PM
I can't remember where I saw this, but an interesting build I saw was Factotum 3, Fighter 2 (Dungeon Crasher), Shadowcaster 5.

With DM's permission, of course, you could use the Apprentice Mystery: Umbral Fist (or Umbral Hand, can't remember) to make a bullrush check against an opponent. Apply Dungeon Crasher from the Fighter ACF, and Improved Bullrush. You could also use Improved Disarm or Trip for other "Force" shenanigans.
Max your Sleight of Hand check.

Edit: Hmm. Just realised this is the second Jedi necro today :smallconfused: