PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on getting statues to walk

Seharvepernfan
2014-04-04, 01:27 PM
There are many ways to get a lump of matter to move and attack things in D&D. I was thinking about some of those ways today, and I thought I'd start a discussion on the matter.

The first and easiest way is to cast animate object. Personally, I dislike this one the most. You infuse an object with positive energy, which causes it to get up and dance like the furniture in Beauty and the Beast. Blegh. I don't know if the objects can bend and twist and all that, or if they keep their shape and just move around as if they were being wielded by an invisible giant. You'd think since a cleric can turn or rebuke dead creatures animated by negative energy, that an evil cleric could turn an object infused with positive energy, but I guess not.

It makes me wonder if you could use negative energy to animate something; I'd guess not, since the fluff is that positive energy "creates life", and negative energy takes/destroys it. Then, why does negative energy animate a corpse? Why couldn't positive energy do that? Or can it? Could I cast animate object on several corpses? That would be a good trick against a cleric. Is there some way you could animate a statue with negative energy?

edit: okay, so apparently animated objects aren't animed with positive energy; that's just something I thought because of ravids, I guess.

Then there's my personal favorite: golems. Giant statues bound with earth elementals that move and are total juggernauts. This one makes the most sense to me, as earth elementals have that "earth glide" ability, which lets them move through earth/stone as if it weren't there, and kinda makes it easier to understand how a thing composed of rock can move/bend/twist like rubber without breaking. As I understand, this method creates the "strongest" animated statues.

What about using other elementals? I know the MM2 had the nimblewright, which was animated by water, I think (might have been air). I don't think I've ever seen another variation. What about using bound celestials or fiends?

Then there are automatons, which are articulated machines animated by shadow magic. They have actual moving parts, kinda like a robot, instead of being just a chunk of matter. They are unreliable, and not as resistant to damage/magic as a golem. I like this idea, but again, I've only seen it in the MM2, and it was rather underwhelming. They had a 50% chance of not doing anything on a given round (kinda unreliable for mining machines, don't ya think?), and despite being composed of metal, they only had like 15-30hp. I wish they had fleshed that idea out a bit better.

Are there any other methods?

What are your thoughts on the ones above?

Discuss.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-04, 04:54 PM
You could use a "haunting presence", a variant rule from Libris Mortis page 6. Such creatures are basically malevolent undead spirits which haunt objects and locations. It's accomplished through the "Haunt Shift" spell (Sorc/Wiz 5, Cleric 5), and can also happen with truly heinous acts.

Also, where are you getting the idea that Animate Objects uses positive energy?

Seharvepernfan
2014-04-04, 05:03 PM
Also, where are you getting the idea that Animate Objects uses positive energy?

I thought the MM said so, but it doesn't. I thought the spell said so, and it doesn't. I guess that just leaves Ravids, who are from the positive energy plane and animate the objects around them.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-04, 05:51 PM
Also, if you want undead powered by positive energy, the BoED has Deathless, which are basically that.

unseenmage
2014-04-04, 08:36 PM
The Minor Servitor spell from Savage Species is my personal favorite. Almost identical to Animate Objects except that it has its own mind and is free willed. Though you can still Dispel it if it's within the range of the spell and that Permanent duration means that it can be Dispel Magic-ed and dies in an Antimagic Field.

Grind your statue to dust and you've got my most extra favorite way to animate which is the Awaken Sand spell from Sandstorm. Again it is free-willed but with all the ways to get sand, even special material or even magic sand, it can be very cool.

Then there's the option of just animating their hands. The Create Crawling Claw spell from Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun. See it technically doesn't say the severed left hands it animates have to be from bodies or corpses or anything. They can be statue hands if you like. Or the hands chopped off of unanimated Effigy or Golem bodies.
I like using True Creation to make an 'all left hands' statue. :smallbiggrin:

Seharvepernfan
2014-04-06, 07:24 AM
See it technically doesn't say the severed left hands it animates have to be from bodies or corpses or anything.

It is a necromancy spell, right?

unseenmage
2014-04-06, 02:32 PM
It is a necromancy spell, right?

Transmutation [Evil] actually, but it makes Constructs. In the errata it makes a swarm too.

Jack_Simth
2014-04-06, 02:49 PM
Polymorph Any Object: Turn a thing into an animated object of itself. Same Kingdom (Mineral, but sometimes vegetable or other), Same size, same or lower Int = Permanent. Mind you, this doesn't necessarily grant you any control over the thing... however, if you made the statue (preferably by Wall of Stone + Stone Shape), and turn it into a stone golem via Polymorph Any Object, then you are in all senses it's creator, and the Combat rules in the general Golem section note that you get to control it (including handing control over to another, if you so desire). A 15th level Wizard can thus have an arbitrary sized army of "Siege golems" that are essentially normal stone golems with the following changes: No DR or magic immunity, potentially plus or minus a bunch of hit points (depending on how much stone you use in their creation), are suppressed in an antimagic field, and are dispellable. Arbitrarily large army for a 15th level caster with a lot of down-time, totally loyal (mindless, sadly), and Pure Core.

Edit: Oh yes, and you don't have the questionable morality of enslaving a sentient critter (which elementals are...) to make your minions.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 03:05 PM
How would they come out mechanically differently from regular stone golems?

Jack_Simth
2014-04-06, 08:59 PM
How would they come out mechanically differently from regular stone golems?
Polymorph Any Object doesn't give Ex special qualities. So they lose those - that includes the DR and the Magic Immunity. Additionally, Polymorph Any Object doesn't change HP totals (inherited), so the HP of the original object determines the HP of the Siege Golem. Plus, of course, being a spell effect rather than a true golem, it's subject to Dispel Magic and Antimagic Fields. They may or may not get BAB/Saves for 14 construct hit dice as well.

Edit: It is, of course, also an amusing way to set up the statues from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that were used in the battle. The spell used to activate them is just a pre-arranged code to turn their control over. The Siege Golems were given orders in advance about that, so when someone dressed in a particular manner says a particular set of things, they then obey that person as their master.

And regardless of whether or not they get BAB and saves, they work just fine for menial labor that requires a decent amount of strength.

ShurikVch
2014-04-07, 02:31 AM
Fiend of Possession of at lest 4th level can animate statue by possessing it

What about using other elementals? I know the MM2 had the nimblewright, which was animated by water, I think (might have been air). I don't think I've ever seen another variation. Minogon (from Neverwinter Nights) animated by fire elemental and controlled by soul of deceased minotaur

unseenmage
2014-04-07, 06:49 AM
Fiend of Possession of at lest 4th level can animate statue by possessing it

Minogon (from Neverwinter Nights) animated by fire elemental and controlled by soul of deceased minotaur

The draconic golems in the Draconomicon are animated by the spirit of a dead dragon.

And I want to say there are at least a couple Constructs animated by dead humanoid spirits but I cannot for the life of me remember any specific examples.

ShurikVch
2014-04-07, 11:42 PM
And I want to say there are at least a couple Constructs animated by dead humanoid spirits but I cannot for the life of me remember any specific examples. Grisgol (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=4) is powered by lich's phylactery

unseenmage
2014-04-08, 01:42 AM
Grisgol (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=4) is powered by lich's phylactery

D'oh!!! How do I always forget about the Grisgol!

I think it's because I've never been graced with fighting/building one. Which is short for, 'I blame my DM.' :smallbiggrin:

ShurikVch
2014-04-08, 02:41 AM
Also, there are Colossi from Epic Level Handbook

And what about normal living creatures under the effect of some spell (such as Elemental Body (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/elemental-body--4435/) (Earth), Iron Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm) or Stone Body (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/stone-body--4235/))?

Finally, some creatures can just impersonate statues by liberal application of some clay, stucco and dust
Gargoyles mistaken for sculptures all the time

Psyren
2014-04-08, 07:51 AM
The first and easiest way is to cast animate object. Personally, I dislike this one the most. You infuse an object with positive energy, which causes it to get up and dance like the furniture in Beauty and the Beast. Blegh. I don't know if the objects can bend and twist and all that, or if they keep their shape and just move around as if they were being wielded by an invisible giant.

The art in MM clearly shows bending and twisting, and the objects do have a dex score once animated.

The PF version lets you customize the object's abilities, allowing you to grant your statue-minion more fitting techniques.