PDA

View Full Version : Too bossy?

S_McMahon
2014-04-04, 02:40 PM
Hey guys, first time posting here and just a really simple question. About two months ago a few friends and I started a Pathfinder gaming group. I personally am loving it and everyone seems to be having a great time every time we play. However, I feel as if I'm starting to take more of a bossy role in making sure we play consistently. I will usually make a group message asking everyone to pick a time to play, and then individually re-ask everybody to assure that we can play. I'm striving for once a week, and I usually will be pretty annoyed, especially since we've been going for a few months now, when we have to delay.

Am I taking things too seriously, or is this needed to maintain structure in the group?

BWR
2014-04-04, 02:53 PM
Only you can answer this question. You know your group and we don't. The simplest solution would be to ask them if they think you're too insistent. As for taking it too seriously, how much of a delay are we talking about, and for what reasons?
If it's like an hour, sure that's annoying but not too bad. If it's a couple of weeks or more, well... life sucks.
If real life like work or family gets in the way, then yes you are taking it too seriously if you are annoyed. Even players choosing other pastimes over gaming, even if it's annoying for you, it's their life and their choice. This is a hobby done for fun and if they find more fun things to do with their time, it may be annoying to lose their time around the table and make it harder for you to have your fun, but they shouldn't be obliged to make sacrifices for your fun. If everyone's having fun with what you're doing now, fine. If not, you might have to change your ways.

Airk
2014-04-04, 03:24 PM
Yeah, it depends. Some groups (well, really, some players) need to be hounded, because otherwise they'll be all "Yeah, I know we've been playing on the same night for six months now and we need everyone to be there, but some guys wanted to have a poker night and I told them this Wednesday was fine, sorry!" even though they're basically ruining five other people's plans.

But on the other hand, some groups, people just show up at the arranged time without prompting unless there's a serious reason to break off, so...

Slipperychicken
2014-04-04, 03:56 PM
My group generally suggests times via text/phone (i.e. "I can game Friday and Saturday"), then the GM sends out an email to indicate his decision, and people might text back to say they can't make it. Obviously, the email might be replaced with a mass text if players don't respond to emails.

You could probably do this well if you ask in a reasonable manner. Something like "what times are you good to play this weekend?", then send out a text once you've figured it out.

oxybe
2014-04-04, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it took a while to get my old group together and clear up our Wednesdays.

I haven't played with them for a while now, but we still keep in touch and I drop in eery other month before the regular session to let them know I'm still alive and do small talk while they wait for the GM to arrive.

I'm honestly impressed we were able to keep the weekly/bi-weekly game going for about 7 years now (the ages in the group range from mid-20s to 50+).

All I can offer as advice is to communicate, communicate, communicate.

First thing to do is setup one pre-campaign sesion to discuss scheduling, campaign ideas andcharacter concepts.

Next woulld be to setup a twitter, google+, obsidianportal, mailing group, etc... for the group to keep them informed on delays, cancellations, and whatnot. If you need to reschedule the session or simply have a full week, this allows everyone to quickly give their input on a good day or make different plans (going to a restaurant or boardgames was a favorite of ours).

I am itching and somewhat wanting to get back into gaming myself after having not gamed in about half a year, and it is difficult to get a group together: the old group is a no-go for me, as while i like them, their system of choice doesn't interest me, and my other friends have a pretty hectic schedule, often having nights off when i work or vice-versa (or simply working nights). Planning is slow, but steady.

As long as you're not demanding things of them, keep a communication line available and stay open to the fact that real life will and should come before the game, you should be able to work something out.

Mastikator
2014-04-04, 11:22 PM
In my experience that's basically what's required, unless you all go to school together. I don't think it's bossy, you're not bossing people around, you're inquiring them.