PDA

View Full Version : A song of ice and fire gods as D&D gods? Domains and ideas?

S@tanicoaldo
2014-04-04, 03:12 PM
I'm a big fan of a song of ice and fire.

And I was wondering. How would the low fantasy world gods of that setting look in a high fnatasy setting.

Any ideias for clerics, paladins and domains?

This may help: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Religion

Jormengand
2014-04-06, 01:31 PM
The Father:
Alignment: Lawful Good
Domains: Fire, Good, Law, Strength, Sun
Favoured Weapon: Greatsword

The Mother:
Alignment: Neutral good
Domains: Good, Healing, Knowledge, Protection
Favoured Weapon: Spear

The Warrior:
Alignment: True Neutral
Domains: Death, Destruction, Earth, Strength, War
Favoured Weapon: Longsword

The Maiden:
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Domains: Animal, Healing, Law, Protection, Water
Favoured Weapon: Morningstar

The Smith:
Domains: Artifice, Creation, Glory, Rune, Strength
Favoured Weapon: Warhammer

The Crone:
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Domains: Knowledge, Luck, Magic, Travel, Weather
Favoured Weapon: Quarterstaff

The Stranger:
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Trickery
Favoured Weapon: Dagger

The Drowned God:
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Domains: Creation, Glory, Liberation, War, Water
Favoured Weapon: Battleaxe

The Storm God:
Domains: Air, Destruction, Evil, Trickery, Water
Favoured Weapon: Shortbow

R'Hollor:
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Domains: Fire, Knowledge, Magic, Nobility, Sun

The Great Other:
Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil
Favoured Weapon: Flail

Feel free to tweak things - some of the favoured weapons are a little invented because they don't really have any, but there is at least some rationale behind them (Storm god is the enemy of the ironborn, ironborn seen to be the kind of people who would think that bows are dishonourable).

Grinner
2014-04-06, 01:46 PM
(Storm god is the enemy of the ironborn, ironborn seen to be the kind of people who would think that bows are dishonourable).

Theon uses a bow...

Jormengand
2014-04-06, 03:04 PM
Theon uses a bow...

Does he? I don't even remember. Anyway, most of the Ironborn think Theon's a bit of a wimp, so ehh.

Oh well. The Storm God can keep what he has, because I have no idea what he would have.

Mono Vertigo
2014-04-06, 03:51 PM
Theon uses a bow...
As Jormengand pointed out, this would be a valid argument if Theon wasn't considered a loser by the Ironborn, and if he hadn't been raised in another culture for roughly half his life. Even his choice in clothes is considered pathetic.

BornValyrian
2014-04-06, 07:30 PM
I would suggest for allowing pantheon worship of the Seven as per Eberron. I also don't know if any of the Seven would be considered Evil, even the stranger. If it was, I would probably tag it neutral evil, though. Here's how I would split the Alignments (though they may not be perfect either, considering its, well, Dnd's alignment system)

Father: LG
Mother: NG
Warrior: CG
Maiden: NG/LG
Smith: TN/LN
Crone: N
Stranger: N/NE

Drowned God: CN
Storm God: CE

R'hllor: This one's rough, because we see such a dichotomy between Melisandre and Thoros, and even between two moments for Melisandre. I would tag him as Lawful of some kind, with his moral alignment being up to interpretation (Davos definitely thinks Rhllor is evil, while Melisandre and Thoros definitely see him as a benevolent force. Think Pelor vs. the Burning Hate). Actually I read GoT before reading about the Burning Hate, and I see that interpretation of a sun god more than the benevolent Pelor.

Dienekes
2014-04-06, 09:00 PM
The Father:
Alignment: Lawful Good
Domains: Fire, Good, Law, Strength, Sun
Favoured Weapon: Greatsword

The Mother:
Domains: Good, Healing, Knowledge, Protection

The Warrior:
Domains: Death, Destruction, Earth, Strength, War

The Maiden:
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Domains: Animal, Healing, Law, Protection, Water
Favoured Weapon: Morningstar

The Smith:
Domains: Artifice, Creation, Glory, Rune, Strength
Favoured Weapon: Warhammer

The Crone:
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Domains: Knowledge, Luck, Magic, Travel, Weather
Favoured Weapon: Quarterstaff

The Stranger:
Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Trickery
Favoured Weapon: Dagger

The Drowned God:
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Domains: Creation, Glory, Liberation, War, Water
Favoured Weapon: Battleaxe

The Storm God:
Domains: Air, Destruction, Evil, Trickery, Water
Favoured Weapon: Shortbow

R'Hollor:
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Domains: Fire, Knowledge, Magic, Nobility, Sun

The Great Other:
Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil
Favoured Weapon: Flail

Feel free to tweak things - some of the favoured weapons are a little invented because they don't really have any, but there is at least some rationale behind them (Storm god is the enemy of the ironborn, ironborn seen to be the kind of people who would think that bows are dishonourable).

No way is R'hllor good. Ignoring Mel and Thoros for a second, and looking at his lore, he advocates murdering an innocent wife and kid for his vessel to get a cool sword. At best, he's neutral.

Also all the Seven are supposed to be good or at worst neutral, except possibly the Stranger. The Crone is about wisdom, not sure how evil comes about for her.

Also some you missed

The Old Gods
Alignment: True Neutral [honestly, do we know anything about them other than they taught the children of the forest things?]
Domains: Oracle, Animal, Plant, Dream
Favored Weapon: shortsword [because they're old gods, and these are the earliest swords, yes I know it's a stretch]

Mother Rhoyne
Domains: Healing, Water, Travel

Vhaidara
2014-04-06, 11:03 PM
I would give the Old Gods a druid weapon. Club, quarterstaff, spear, or sling.

mystic1110
2014-04-07, 09:27 AM
I thought the Seven were aspects of one God, you don't really worship them separately or at least you shouldn't. . . So worshiping the seven as a whole would make them probably true Neutral. . . neutral lawful at best . . in fact I think almost all the Gods in game of thrones are neutral.. The Great Other and R'Hollor are probably neutral too, we have no clue what they want other than they are fighting each other, and both sides are pretty nasty. The Old Gods. . . are gods of nature, I don't think they care about mortal conception of good or evil, they only cared about the forest and trees or whatever. The Drowned God seems neutral as well - he is basically a might makes right god, but mixed with the capriciousness of the sea so lawful mixed with chaotic. Storm God is another ocean god. . . capricious so maybe Chaotic Neutral, but like every other nature god, not really within the good/evil/law/chaos paradigm. Lady of the Waves and Lord of the Skies . . . um we know almost nothing about them. . . and Mother Rhoyne who is a river goddess (basically) and . . . she seems like the only good god in the world. Many-Faced God of Braavos is basically just dispassionate inevitable death.. . . so neutral. Great Stallion is neutral - he's a patriachal horse god - maybe LE if you think that being a nomadic misogynistic makes some one evil?

Grinner
2014-04-07, 09:37 AM
I thought the Seven were aspects of one God, you don't really worship them separately or at least you shouldn't. . . So worshiping the seven as a whole would make them probably true Neutral

They are the seven faces of a single entity, but they're often invoked separately. Davos, for example, mentions praying to the Smith for the safety of his ships or the Mother for the birth of his children.

mystic1110
2014-04-07, 09:48 AM
But I still seem them as one entity - If you pray to one aspect you shouldn't get to have access to a whole new slew of domains, since that would mean the entity "THE SEVEN" would have 35 domains!

Instead how about this

The Seven
Domains: Law (The Father), Protection (The Mother), Purification (The Maiden), Strength (The Warrior), Craft (The Smith), Knowledge (The Crone), Death (The Stranger)
Favored Weapon: Depends on which aspect you worship
When you worship the seven you choose an aspect in particular. That is the only domain you have access to.

Grinner
2014-04-07, 09:53 AM
But I still seem them as one entity - If you pray to one aspect you shouldn't get to have access to a whole new slew of domains, since that would mean the entity "THE SEVEN" would have 35 domains!

This is true. Recall that septons do not focus on any single one of the seven gods. Recall also that septons do not generally have magic powers.

We're forcing the religion into the D&D framework. Inconsistencies are to be expected.

Vhaidara
2014-04-07, 09:57 AM
If each one only has one domain, then they are horribly weak. Clerics get 2 domains. They are supposed to be able to choose from 4.

Suspend disbelief and let the be worshiped individually. Or, treat them as a pantheon. It is rules-legal, by the way, to worship a pantheon. You can worship the Greek pantheon and pick any domain offered by any god in the Greek pantheon.

BornValyrian
2014-04-07, 10:00 AM
This is true. Recall that septons do not focus on any single one of the seven gods. Recall also that septons do not generally have magic powers.

We're forcing the religion into the D&D framework. Inconsistencies are to be expected.

Remember there is precedence within a D&D framework for the worship of an entire pantheon. True the silent sisters would almost exclusively worship the Stranger, but most septons would pray over the dead for the Father to judge them, the stranger to take them, and the Crone to lead them into. Birth Rites literally invoke all seven identities.

I still move for Pantheon Worship a la Eberron when it comes to the Seven. It still gives access to the Seven each as their own entities while keeping in mind worship of the Seven Aspects as one entity.