PDA

View Full Version : The Fine Giant

Nettlekid
2014-04-04, 04:49 PM
I've seen the spell Return to Nature (from the Eberron Campaign Setting) before, and chuckled at how amusing the possibilities were, but never put a large amount of thought into how best to actually use it. Obviously the effect I'm referring to is the instantaneous Reduce Person on Giants, which with repeated castings could feasibly turn a Giant into a Fine creature. Half-Giants and Enekos are both LA +1, no RHD Giants. So it is entirely possible to have a Fine PC (with an easily bought-off LA) doing whatever it would like.

What kind of build best takes advantage of being so small? I hear casters often suggested for it, but really anything with Polymorph at mid-to-high levels doesn't need the racial advantage. Warlock also comes to mind, and that probably serves it best. But I would love to hear of any kind of martial character who uses the advantage of Fine size to defeat foes, in the style of Terry Pratchett's Nac Mac Feegle. "Aye, I'm a teensy Giant, but a Giant nonetheless!"

(For Setting Sun throwing maneuvers, does Tripping's "within one size" limitation still hold, or does the maneuver supersede that rule because it's not a trip attack, only resolved as one?)

Metahuman1
2014-04-04, 04:57 PM
An Archer equipped with Hanks bow and loaded up with good use of Knowledge Devotion and Power Attack could really be effective.

If you can get the mobility problem solved so you can get at things, a Factotum duel wielding quick razor's with Weapons Finesse and Iai-Jutsu Focus could also absolutely shred things.

Overcome the Str Penalty's, maybe by buying off the LA of being a Half Golem with 4 or more Iron Construct Graphs, and either get sufficient flight speed to charge in mid air and a couple of flight feats, or get a size category Diminutive or Tiny Mount with incredible flight and overall mobility, and then snag a valorous Lance and Power Attack + Spirited Charge, and you could be a very, very effective mounted combatant.

bekeleven
2014-04-04, 08:46 PM
The trickiest part with melee is avoiding the billion attacks of opportunity (you take one leaving the square adjacent to an enemy, and another for entering their square, plus more if they have reach). If you can do that, I've always wanted to build some form of fine ubercharger. The crucial parts of ubercharging aren't strength-dependent. I sketched out a Petal Servant Soul Charger last month for a PbP but ended up submitting something else.

Erik Vale
2014-04-04, 10:19 PM
Warlocks/Psions, Combine Giant Magic + Primodial Giant for +4CL, put ranks in hide and hide behind blades of grass between castings.