PDA

View Full Version : Spells Higher than 4th in a Wand

TeslaJr
2014-04-04, 04:56 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to place a spell in a wand that is higher than level 4 if I can reduce the cost down to the appropriate level. For example, say I want to put a Twin Chain Fell Drain Magic Missile into a wand. Normally, this would be a 10th level spell. Using the capstones of Incantatrix(PGtF) and Metaphysical Spellshaper(BoEF), I get this down to an 8th level spell. During the creation of this wand, I would burn 4 ability points using the Metaphysical Spellshaper's 1st level ability to cast the spell as a 4th level spell. Is this possible?

Thiyr
2014-04-04, 06:26 PM
iirc, item crafting does not take into account any reduction in spell level. I normally know this in relation to using the Sudden (X) feats for crafting (e.g. Sudden maximize used for crafting a wand will still raise the effective spell level for purposes of crafting), but I'm pretty sure that would apply the same here.

That said, as far as higher level spells, you're stuck with either a) using sanctum spell shenanigans, or b) making a staff sized for one of the miniscule races, and using it like a wand (which is dubious at best, but still has potential)

NoACWarrior
2014-04-04, 06:28 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to place a spell in a wand that is higher than level 4 if I can reduce the cost down to the appropriate level. For example, say I want to put a Twin Chain Fell Drain Magic Missile into a wand. Normally, this would be a 10th level spell. Using the capstones of Incantatrix(PGtF) and Metaphysical Spellshaper(BoEF), I get this down to an 8th level spell. During the creation of this wand, I would burn 4 ability points using the Metaphysical Spellshaper's 1st level ability to cast the spell as a 4th level spell. Is this possible?

I'd say its probably possible, but also know that the spell slot determines the minimum caster level of the spell - so if you had to use an 8th level slot, even with the MetaSpellshaper's ability, you have to set the minimum caster level to cast that slot (wizards 15 sorcerers 16 ect)

So the pricing for such a spell would be 750 gp x 4th level spell x 15th caster level (would be really expensive). Also, you'd have to cast the EXACT same spell with all the metamagic feats and reducers EVERYDAY for the 50-60 days it would take to craft this wand.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-04, 06:30 PM
Another option is scepters, from LEoF, which work almost identically to wands but can have higher level spells (up to 7 or 8, I think) and can have two spells in them.

PraxisVetli
2014-04-04, 10:04 PM
Another option is scepters, from LEoF, which work almost identically to wands but can have higher level spells (up to 7 or 8, I think) and can have two spells in them.

Quoted for truth.

Lightlawbliss
2014-04-04, 10:44 PM
So the pricing for such a spell would be 750 gp x 4th level spell x 15th caster level (would be really expensive). Also, you'd have to cast the EXACT same spell with all the metamagic feats and reducers EVERYDAY for the 50-60 days it would take to craft this wand.

45k, which is 45 days iirc (assuming the dm both allows it and doesn't put a price increase on it)

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-04, 11:52 PM

What does LEoF stand for?

mabriss lethe
2014-04-05, 12:46 AM
Lost Empires of Faerun

TeslaJr
2014-04-05, 04:59 AM

Wow, Scepters look like they are pretty much all around better than wands. Sure, they're roughly double the cost, but IMO that's worth it. How have I not heard about these before?!

Sian
2014-04-05, 07:53 AM
LEoF is one of the less used books in Forgotten realms in terms of Mechanics, largely being a fluff book

... I'd prehaps look at reworking Master Alchemist from Magic of Faerun ... which is able to make stronger and stronger Potions, which at level 10 can brew 9th level potions, and 3 seperate potions at the same time

Ruethgar
2014-04-05, 08:52 AM
You just have to make sure that the level reductions are applied at all times, not just when you cast. As I recall, spells are expended as though they were cast but not actually cast in item creation, so anything that lowers it upon casting wouldn't work.

Cruiser1
2014-04-05, 10:35 AM
but can have higher level spells (up to 7 or 8, I think) and can have two spells in them.
Scepters can store spells from level 0-7 in them. Their buy price is (spell level)*(caster level)*750. They have 50 charges, except those of spell levels 5-7 which only have 25 charges (but are still costed according to the formula). They require a special "Craft Scepter" feat to make.

Larkas
2014-04-05, 11:55 AM
Well, you can always go for Craft Wondrous Item. 50 charges, spell trigger = spell level x caster level x 750 GP. No level limit. :smallsmile: