PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Puzzle/riddle encounters?

Totema
2014-04-04, 06:49 PM
Hi all,
I've recently been considering the possibility of running a puzzle or riddle-based session in my 3.5 adventure. I've never done this before but wanted to break the monotony of having combat every session (my players are kinda awkward roleplayers unfortunately) so I could use some tips on what to try out and what to avoid. Maybe you could share a really awesome example you've played or led? Thanks in advance!

2E Phoinex
2014-04-05, 04:01 AM
I recently decided to include a lot of riddles which served as magical locks on ancient chests that could only be opened by solving the riddle. I spent days coming up with silly riddles, but unfortunately my players are far smarter than I am and figured them out with no trouble at all. Still, they had fun with it so here are some of my sad creations that proved too easy for my players.

I am conjured by sticks and skin,
Tongue and throat,
or air and reed.
I cannot be seen but I can be read.
I soothe the babe and inspire the solider.
I am used to pass time, or keep it.

What am I?
Music

I am feared by all, save for fools and wise men.
I am both the mother and child of disease.

What am I?
Death

I make the day tolerable, but the air foul.
I am with you when you worry, work, or play.
A weak man will break me more easily than a strong man.

What am I?
Sweat

I am born through the molars of a swindler.
When I am innocent I am pale.
I form webs and multiply quickly
Careful, lest you be caught in me.

What am I?
A Lie

I also have a math nerd Puzzle based on Pascal's Triangle. I called it the Calpas pyramid and it involved props and a riddle of its own along with some nasty traps. I'll look for my notes and post it if you're still hunting for a puzzle and are interested in that sort of thing.

Also consider popping in a few political ramifications for how the players choose to resolve adventures, sometimes managing politics can be a delightful puzzle itself and maybe it will inspire some less awkward role play.