PDA

View Full Version : Any good class combos for a favored soul/sorcerer mystic theurge?

atemu1234
2014-04-04, 08:53 PM
Title says it all. Namely, any good races specifically for charisma? And spell-like abilities?

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-04, 09:31 PM
Don't. Really really don't. It's a scrap combo that someone handed to me my first time gaming that turned me off to gaming for years. No la+0 race can mitigate it..

What specific spells or capability is important to your concept of this character? What do you want them to do or be good at?

If you MUST theurge, read this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?247259-The-Urge-to-Theurge-True-Resurrection-Edition

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-04, 10:01 PM
The only LA 0 CHA boosting race that comes to mind immediately is Spellscale, from Races of the Dragon.

Captnq
2014-04-04, 10:19 PM
NO.

Hell No.

Oh Hell To The No.

That gets my vote for worse combo ever. I had a player play a Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge and that was painful enough. This will suck for you. It will suck for your party. It will be a long, painful experience.

Axinian
2014-04-04, 10:24 PM
It's not so bad if you use some early entry tricks! Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell gets you your first mystic theurge level at level 4 I believe.

Kraken
2014-04-04, 10:29 PM
I hate to add more rain, but seriously, without early entry use, you're going to find this very painful. The game is a lot less fun when your character's class abilities don't contribute much. A 'normal' entry in this case would be sorc4/FS4, finally getting into MT at level 9, and then finally getting third level spells at level 10. Whereas a level 10 sorc or FS gets level 5 spells. There are a lot of tricks to getting in earlier, however, and if you're willing to do something more like sorc4/FS1 or FS4/sorc 1 as your entry into MT, that'd work halfway decently.

GameSpawn
2014-04-04, 11:24 PM
Charisma boosting races with LA 0 include Star Elf (A Forgotten Realms race: Unapproachable East, I think), Hellbred (Spirit) from Fiendish Codex II, and the aforementioned Spellscale. Spellscale probably has the most useful special abilities for you. All 3 races have a con penalty, which isn't great for anyone, but you won't be front lining anyway. Hellbred Spirit does eventually give you telepathy, which is cool, but not until 15 HD.

Talya
2014-04-04, 11:33 PM
It's bad compared to favored soul or sorcerer alone. It's still a spellcaster...in a party of fighters and rogues and rangers it can shine. Probably tier 3, not as good as bard though.

LA +0 Cha bonuses: star elf, spellscale, lesser aasimar, anything with the magic Blooded template.

Endarire
2014-04-04, 11:33 PM
Race-wise, consider also a Magic-Blooded Venerable Kobold with the Dragonwrought feat.

Waker
2014-04-04, 11:43 PM
Even if it doesn't provide a bonus to your Charisma, the Illumian is a good race to consider as well. The Krau sigil can be a huge boon to a multiclass spellcaster, since getting a +2 caster level to both classes isn't anything to sneeze at.

Kennisiou
2014-04-05, 12:28 AM
On the "not so bad with early entry tricks" front, I'd like to chime in here... Favored Soul is... kinda a problematic class. double-attribute casting dependency is annoying and they definitely have a much more noticeable "cleric but worse" feel to them than sorceror's "wizard but worse" feel. There's two other charisma-based spontaneous divine casters that you should look at that are both not only stronger, but also just generally better designed to work with themselves and feel more satisfying when played. First is Spirit Shaman, which is split-ability dependent like the favored soul but with wis and cha flipped but can take a feat to become cha-dependent that favored soul can't use. It takes the druid spell list and every day can choose a new list of spells known from the druid list to spontaneously cast from, which is a pretty cool mechanic. Shugenja's the other biggie, an oriental flavored fully charisma based spontaneous divine caster, they have a really neat spell list full of tricks and tend to play better with sorc than favored soul does. Both classes can use the same early entry tricks for mystic theurge and create stronger and more importantly more satisfying to play builds.

Also, while theurge builds are kind of a "trap" in that they often wind up weaker than just sticking to a single casting class, they're definitely a trap with some fun, interesting, and thematic things going for them. Take heed of all the warning signs people are waving at you, but understand that if you really look at the classes and spell lists and pick well theurges can be powerful and rewarding (although they don't have to be both! nothing does!)

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-05, 01:58 AM
Split casting is a pain, but with decent stats (rolling instead of Point-buy), it's not horrible. Can be fun, too.

My aforementioned Spellscale is a Bardic Sage. STR 13 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 18. Optimizers may be screaming in agony at the idea, but I'm having fun with it. Nerdy history professor type; Indy jones without the combat prowress. Deadly Defense feat, so he panicks and flails in combat with his teacher's stick/club, and occaisional gets a decent hit in. Oratotion for bardic music; he's a natural lector. No idea where I may take it as he levels; Tack on a level of Rogue so he can work locks and traps too at some point maybe, or Cleric to use my 18 CHA for turns (undead heavy campaign).

We may be low level, low optimization (just hit level 2, and our cleric is a Turn/Heal-bot and we have two monks), but the character works thematically. Combat is weak, but that's not the point of the character. He's a puzzle and problem solver, spamming Divination and abusing Bardic Knowledge.

Do what you want with your character. Beware the difficulties, but don't let anyone tell you to never ever play a class.

Curmudgeon
2014-04-05, 03:10 AM
I'd recommend Lesser Aasimar for race, and either Kossuth (Forgotten Realms) or Zoser (no specific setting) for deity, to get Exotic Weapon Focus (spiked chain) as a FS class feature. You're really going to want Rapid Metamagic as your level 9 feat.

You're going to be way behind Tier 1 spellcasters in terms of spell power, but you'll have a zillion different spells. Basically your role is the Swiss Army Knife character: always a useful spell ready, but not the most powerful (encounter-ending) ones.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-05, 07:05 AM
Illumian, in Races of Destiny. Get the Krau sigil, with the feat Improved Sigil: Krau from that same book. Go either Sorcerer 2/ Favored Soul 1/ MT, or Sorcerer 1/ Favored Soul 2/ MT. You don't even need to take Practiced Spellcaster.

Telonius
2014-04-05, 07:08 AM
Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold with both Draconic Rites of Passage can get you (iirc) full Sorcerer casting with 11 levels of Favored Soul casting on top of it.

Chronos
2014-04-05, 08:15 AM
Quoth SouthpawSoldier:

Split casting is a pain, but with decent stats (rolling instead of Point-buy), it's not horrible.
This is very, very dangerous advice. Rolling instead of point-buy does not mean "decent stats". It means "stats that might be decent, might be great, or might suck". Randomness is the whole point of dice. On average, though, rolled stats are roughly equivalent to the Elite Array or to 25 point buy. If that sounds low to you (if you're used to a higher array or point buy), then you really don't want rolled stats, since they're very likely to end up worse than what you're looking for.

And I'll second the recommendation for Illumian. Improved Sigil Krau is one of the simplest and least rules-controversial means for early entry, and unlike most early-entry tricks, will give you early entry on both sides at once. It only costs you a race and one feat, and also gives you the benefit of Practiced Spellcaster for free. I'd recommend either Naen or Vaul for your second sigil, though that won't matter nearly as much as Krau will.

Ruethgar
2014-04-05, 08:46 AM
Apart from the obvious cheesy Loredrake(doesnt require just implies true dragon only) White Dragonspawn Abomination Greater Draconic Rite of Passage Dragonwrought Kobold to get faster sorcerer levels, Lesser Aasimar would be your best choice with the Magic Blooded template thrown on: +4 Cha, and some SLAs.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-04-05, 08:48 AM
I should have been more clear. What I meant by emphasizing rolled stats was the potential for better stats. The average is a 25 equivalent; most PB games I've experienced are 32 PB, but you have a chance of going higher. In that case, I scored a bit better.

It all depends; do you roll, then plan, or roll to match a concept? I rolled, had an idea based on setting, etc, and went with it.

Apologies for the derail.

Talya
2014-04-05, 09:56 AM
Favored Soul only uses wisdom for spell DCs. Since you're theurging with Sorcerer, you can skip spells that have a saving throw on the FS side.

I'd recommend a magic blooded lesser aasimar. You'd have +4 Charisma, LA +0. No penalty.