PDA

View Full Version : Creating New Spells?

ZhanStrider
2014-04-05, 03:30 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

Im trying to make a new spell (the spell is already DM approved and made up, its a less powerful spell turning) but he says my character needs to "create" the spell. I cant find any rules for Spellcraft DC's or anything like that for making up new spells.
There's a similar thing in the Tome of Battle for new maneuvers. Anybody got a clue?

Thanks!

ericgrau
2014-04-05, 04:01 AM
It's in the DMG. IIRC it's 1,000 gp and a week per spell level.

Melcar
2014-04-05, 04:46 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

Im trying to make a new spell (the spell is already DM approved and made up, its a less powerful spell turning) but he says my character needs to "create" the spell. I cant find any rules for Spellcraft DC's or anything like that for making up new spells.
There's a similar thing in the Tome of Battle for new maneuvers. Anybody got a clue?

Thanks!

If you havent already, write some nice fluff text for the spell.

unseenmage
2014-04-05, 10:54 AM
It's in the DMG. IIRC it's 1,000 gp and a week per spell level.

Also requires a Spellcraft check of DC 10+ spell level IIRC.

ericgrau
2014-04-05, 12:19 PM
Though I might suggest the DM let you off with something cheaper unless it's a really stingy core only game. Given how you can find almost any spell in splatbooks without any research and then grab it at level up or for a few hundred gp.

ZhanStrider
2014-04-05, 12:34 PM

Any idea where i might be able to double check that?

ericgrau
2014-04-05, 12:47 PM
<walks 5 feet to my DMG> fiiiine. Page 198 top of 2nd column.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-05, 12:53 PM
Any idea where i might be able to double check that?

Page 198 of the 3.5 DMG, under Researching Original Spells.

ZhanStrider
2014-04-05, 03:16 PM
<walks 5 feet to my DMG> fiiiine. Page 198 top of 2nd column.

Wow. Literally right on the page i was looking at earlier. I think I may be dumber than originally belived

ZhanStrider
2014-04-07, 12:25 AM

This is way lower DC than the making a new Manuever from the ToB is. WHY IS THAT ONE SO HIGH???

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 12:27 AM
Though I might suggest the DM let you off with something cheaper unless it's a really stingy core only game. Given how you can find almost any spell in splatbooks without any research and then grab it at level up or for a few hundred gp.

The "few hundred gp" option assumes your character finds a wizard who has it and is willing to share, or at least sufficiently incapacitated that they can't object to you copying the spell.

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-07, 01:41 AM
This is way lower DC than the making a new Manuever from the ToB is. WHY IS THAT ONE SO HIGH???

Because melee can't have nice things?

Realistically though I think it's because near the end of 3.5 the designers MAY have figured out that it's relatively easy to boost a skill check that you know is coming ahead of time.

The "few hundred gp" option assumes your character finds a wizard who has it and is willing to share, or at least sufficiently incapacitated that they can't object to you copying the spell.

Buying a scroll is also relatively cheap. Spell research is just kinda overpriced imo (at least for low level spells). It should've scaled the same way Spell Effect magic item creation scales. some number x spell level x caster level