PDA

View Full Version : [wonderous item, i guess...] Motorbike, D&D style

knightsaline
2007-02-05, 05:30 AM
It has been established that a D&D engine consists of a decanter of endless water and a small, permanent gate to the elemental plane of fire. here goes my motorbike idea.

First, the creator creates any wonderous items the creator wants. a list appears later. then the creator gets 10,000 gp worth of a metal (iron seems to be the favorite, yet there are some made of alchemic silver for lycanthrope hunting) the creator casts fabricate on the metal and creates the shell of the motorbike (without the tyres or engine). the creator puts in place the "engine" and sets the decanter's command words for "stream", "fountain" and "geyser" (more on that later) no other spells may be added to the bike. the creator must have the following prerequisites: create wonderous item, knowledge (arcana) 20 ranks. knowledge (useless information) 10 ranks. has the ability to modify a gate spell so it remains open and is able to modify the gate spell to it becomes a fine object.

A paladin may choose this as their mount, provided they can pay and they have the opportunity to get a new mount. Spells that affect a mount affect a motorbike. overland flight may not be used on this, as the bike cannot take the air pressure found while flying.

The motorbike has 3 speeds, slow (activated by using the "stream" command) 60 feet per round, may be used indefinitely. fast (using the "fountain" command word) 120 feet per round. may only be used for 1 hour per day. overdrive (using the "geyser" command word) 240 feet per round, usable for 6 rounds per day.

The motorbike has item slots, like a character except the only slots are saddle, tyres, lights and exhaust.

Weight:----- (too heavy to lift). Cost:41500 gp + 4500 XP. Strong Conjuration (creation), moderate transmutation. fabricate

Required items

Saddle. Any saddle will do, but depending on your use of the motorbike, a military saddle or an archery saddle ( Dragon 349) are the best

Tyres: these are sold in pairs and are required in order to run the motorbike. 50 gp per pair

Optional items (or, as riders like to call them, modifications)

Tires of speed. these items function as if they were horseshoes of speed, except they take up the tire slot of the motorbike. these tires allow the motorbike to be hasted. these do not stack with the overdrive setting.
4000 GP, CL 3rd, haste. faint transmutation

Eversmoking bottle. this takes up the exhaust slot. with a command word, the bottle uncorks itself and leaves a trail of smoke as long as the motorbike has traveled (to clarify, the bike travels 60 feet and the smoking bottle leaves a line of smoke 60 feet long) 5400 GP
CL 3rd, faint transmutation pyrotechnics

Stone of alarm: as the normal stone of alarm. does not take up a slot (it melts into the bike
Faint abjuration, CL 3rd, alarm 2700 GP

Lenses of night: works as if they were goggles of light. takes up the lights slot.
12000 GP, faint transmutation, CL 3rd darkvision

Lenses of Light. these work as the spell light. when activated, these lenses project a 40 foot cone of light. these take up the lens slot

post more items and suggestions. this post was inspired from the thought about steam power

additional information: knowledge (useless information) is a cross class skill for every class unless the owner of the ranks in this skill takes the [autism] flaw or one of its family.

Matthew
2007-02-05, 06:38 PM
Very amusing. Reminds me strongly of a particular Disc World novel... yes this definitely has soul.

soylentplaid
2007-02-05, 08:41 PM
Knowing my current DM this would likely not fly, but hot damn, this would go good for my scythe-wielding gestalt psion/fighter.

cferejohn
2007-02-05, 08:53 PM
Hmm, you might need a new skill (vis a vis Pilot in D20 modern) for this. This isn't going to be like riding a horse in a lot of ways. Also, a motorcycle needs a pretty flat surface to function, so maybe some fairly hefty penalties to said skill once it starts getting a little rough.

Of course, you could also make some hover tires (using boots of levitation I suppose), that would allow you to cross most terrain without difficulty (pretty much you've made the speeders from Return of the Jedi at this point I suppose).

Now, we need to start mounting some weaponry on this sucker. D&D meets car wars. Of course, once you posit the existance of an engine, you've pretty much got the industrial revolution to deal with..

Weezer
2007-02-05, 08:57 PM
Make a side car (maybe -10' movement) and mount a repeating crossbow on it, shove a ranger in the passenger seat and you have a weaponized motorbike.

soylentplaid
2007-02-05, 09:09 PM
Of course, once you've got this, you can move on to bigger vehicles. Wand of fireballs + steam engine + siege engine body = tank. Stagecoach body + steam engine = van. Boat + steam engine + watermill wheels = steamboat! The sky's the limit here (hmmm... wonder what you'd need for a helicopter...)

Also, if anybody has the 3.0 supplement Arms and Equipment Guide, there's enough under the Vehicles section to construct yourself a fairly nice auto driving car. Large size only, though, so max. 4 passengers. Build two and have enough for your party AND all it's stuff! (assuming you've got a party of two to seven members)

knightsaline
2007-02-06, 01:16 AM
Of course, you could also make some hover tires (using boots of levitation I suppose), that would allow you to cross most terrain without difficulty (pretty much you've made the speeders from Return of the Jedi at this point I suppose).

you mean tires of the zephyr (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#horseshoesofaZephyr) ?

you could go epic and make tyres of the peerless mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm) so you can over run your foes without spending precious feats.

Now all in need is some psionic wonderous items that have been homebrewed for this bike. i was thinking lenses of my light and elfsight combined.

thens theres the "masterwork" motorbike, created by har'lee davidson, that provide a +3 bonus to intimidate checks , has the feats spirited charge, ride-by attack and trample feats and grants the rider +5 to charging while riding the bike

knightsaline
2007-02-18, 06:59 PM
sorry for the double post, but no one seems to be commenting. any suggestions for wonderous items to be converted to fit the motorbike? any suggestions at all?

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-18, 07:55 PM
I think that it could seriously use some fluff, so that we could know what kind of setting to put this bike in. Honestly, you've got a steam engine here, and a magical and efficient one to boot. Once that happens everything changes, since a creative wizard can add a good dose of Overland Flight to the crafting of this motorbike, and then everyone will get to wanting one. Then the industrial revolution happens and we get something far too similar to D20 Future for my tastes.

Even as awesome as a motorbike can be in a D&D game, it would never stand alone in a void because of human incapacity to quit while they're ahead. Maybe we could reason it could, but that needs to be explained in its description.

knightsaline
2007-02-18, 08:12 PM
changed. Finally found a use for my autism flaw.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-18, 09:25 PM
I don't know... Gate as a requirment. And you have to change it so much you'd need Epic spellcasting. How many wizards with that running around, eh? And the Autism flaw is really insulting. I'm a fountain of useless knowledge, and am perfectly alright in the head. And plenty of autistic people function fine in the world. Don't be so mean. And 20 ranks in knowledge!!! That's outrageous. *I love lucy voice* You got some 'splainin' to do...*I love lucy voice*

Triaxx
2007-02-18, 09:57 PM
I'm of the opinion medical science is wrong. Autistic's live in the real world, and the rest of us are crazy...

Anyhow, I like the idea of the bike, but it's a good idea gone wrong. The two pieces of the puzzle fit together into a tireless mount, that travels at half speed, and is very useful in battle.

knightsaline
2007-02-18, 10:05 PM
saying that george bush is autistic is an insult to me and my autistic friends! I had to make the requirements for getting a bike extremely hard because of SS's post saying that creating something like this would bring D&D into the industrial age.

Deme
2007-02-19, 06:41 PM
autism having benefits (like the knowledge (useless information) thing) makes it less a flaw and more a trait. flaws have no benefits built in their designs specifically.

Legoman
2007-02-19, 06:49 PM
Check out Eberron's campaign setting - Bound elementals result in airships that can be piloted with opposed charisma checks.

firepup
2007-02-19, 08:36 PM
Hey, *lit lantern appears above head* well, you could say it requires maintenance daily or suffers x% cumulative chance of malfunction... so continuing to not service the vehicle daily causes higher chances of it exploding, causing you to be stranded, and likely somewhat exploded. Also, I suggest changing the requirement to a lower skill.

knightsaline
2007-02-19, 11:19 PM
the autism flaw forces the player to spend skill points in knowledge (useless information), reduces CHA and the character has to take medication or take a -4 unnamed penalty to wisdom. the medication costs 100 GP for 100 days worth of the medication. the medication must be prescribed by someone with 10 levels of telepath. selling the medication is a chaotic act and results in the medication no longer being prescribed for the character. Knowledge (Useless information) gives no bonuses to other skills and most of the knowledge is about a fictional talking lightning rail called Tobias.

I really do not like ebberon. i prefer the high magics and high level of gods in the forgotten realms setting. that or a world ruled by dragons and a god sitting in the corner, writing in the book of the universe. 500 XP to the person who names this setting!

Peregrine
2007-02-20, 09:53 AM
Weight:----- (too heavy to lift).

That just won't fly. (Err, pun not intended.) You're telling me nothing can possibly lift this thing, ever? I don't think so somehow.

knightsaline
2007-02-20, 09:22 PM
no, the weight is like what the weight is for a large boat. the players handbook doesn't say how much a warship weighs. it shouldn't really matter about the weight, no one is going to try and lift it that badly.

must make a stone of summon bike for this

Stones of summon motorbike
These pair of stones allow the owner to summon a motorbike that one of the stones is keyed to. in order to use these stones, the user has to place one of the stones on the bike, the stone dissolves into the bike. the other stone may be used any time the user wants. when the motorbike is summoned, it appears in a flash of fire (no damage).
faint conjuration (calling), summon mount, 500 GP, Craft wondrous item.
weight: ---- (too small to make a difference)