PDA

View Full Version : Player Help PF: Low/Med Stat Dependency

Kaskos
2014-04-05, 09:05 AM
Good Morning Playground,

Now I have a set of stats (rolled stats) that weren't great but to be honest, I have probably seen worse in the past.
15 and 14 comprise my highest stats (not too bad) but that is in contrast to some of the other party who look overpowered in relation to my stats.

What I was looking for was a class who can still excel with mid range stats and not a summoner and also from the Core Handbook - no advanced.

I thought Caster - Wizard and Sorc of course and include the likes of Druid.
Then I thought Bard and Cleric would work - support classes t help the others excel furthermore.

BUT if I wanted to avoid the healing role (avoid doing it again) what could the playground suggest as strong roles where there wouldn't be a gulf of difference between effectiveness of the group members.
My initial thought that interested me was Druid.
I could cast a few bits here and there for battlefield control whilst my pet goes in and gets its claws dirty.

Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated

Socratov
2014-04-05, 10:16 AM
Play a Warlock. They can pretty much function without any stats at all (well all>1 and int>3 to avoid mindlessness and helplessness) and still employ their main schtick (EB and invocations). If you want to enforce saves you can invest into charisma, else all you need is con and a bit of dex (you aim for their touch AC after all). Investing in stats is optional though... You can find more then enough invocations that help you without leaning on Charisma to be effective.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-04-05, 10:28 AM
In Pathfinder, I recommend a Cleric or a Summoner. If you play a Cleric, you can spend all your time and spells buffing and healing your allies, so you don't need melee ability or high DCs. If you go with the Summoner, you can have your Eidolon do all the work. If you can get your DM to allow the overpowered Synthesist archetype, you replace all your physical stats with those of your eidolon.

Kaskos
2014-04-05, 11:35 AM
In Pathfinder, I recommend a Cleric or a Summoner. If you play a Cleric, you can spend all your time and spells buffing and healing your allies, so you don't need melee ability or high DCs. If you go with the Summoner, you can have your Eidolon do all the work. If you can get your DM to allow the overpowered Synthesist archetype, you replace all your physical stats with those of your eidolon.

Sorry but you managed to cover the only things not allowed or wanted.

Not allowed Summoner - not even allowed Advanced Classes
Not wanting to go healing (again)

I did say in the original post too :smallsmile:

NamelessNPC
2014-04-05, 11:56 AM
Bard or gunslinger

khachaturian
2014-04-05, 12:47 PM
cleric =\= healer

play a negative channel build. in my group, i am a cleric, but the bard is the primary healer

Socratov
2014-04-05, 12:58 PM
Sorry but you managed to cover the only things not allowed or wanted.

Not allowed Summoner - not even allowed Advanced Classes
Not wanting to go healing (again)

I did say in the original post too :smallsmile:

That's why I'll reiterate: play a warlock, you can do anything once magic items open up and before slightly less, if you build him/her right.

Arbane
2014-04-05, 03:02 PM
That's why I'll reiterate: play a warlock, you can do anything once magic items open up and before slightly less, if you build him/her right.

And I'll reiterate, he said PATHFINDER. No official Warlocks yet.

As has already been mentioned, maybe a Bard?

Or just play a wizard, and plan on putting all your stat-gains to Int as you level.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-05, 03:10 PM
Lowest stat dependency is probably the scarred witch doctor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-orc/scarred-witch-doctor-witch-orc). Con is your casting stat, and you can play one as a half orc. Also a human but it takes a feat.

Kaskos
2014-04-05, 09:09 PM
Thanks very much so far for the responses.

A few did kinda point in the direction I said I couldn't go (advanced players/classes) and also didn't want to go again (healing)
Regardless, thankyou for the responses and idea's.

There wasn't many shouts for Wizard which surprised me and less calls for Druid - same reaction.
There was a lot of calls for Bard.
Is Bard that effective with what could essentially be a 17high stat and 14 downwards from there.

I will admit to being a lot new to Bard so I will bow to others knowledge here.
Any tips or things to look at whilst I entertain the idea of playing my first Bard.
(I have heard Stormcaller being touted before at the table so if we can avoid that so it doesn't get house ruled, that would be beneficial)

Hope you can help :smallsmile:

Dante Leos
2014-04-05, 09:16 PM
A good resource for being a pathfinder bard is Treantmonk's bard guide, I can attest to this as I just recently made a cohort bard who is pretty beast with a bow and can do his job well, and the stat requirement for and archer bard at least is basically what you have here.

ericgrau
2014-04-05, 11:14 PM
You're complaining about rolling almost precisely the average?:smallconfused: But ok someone in the party rolled a lot higher.

Any full caster should work fine. If you want something weaker than that without being weaker than your ally who rolled high... you might go with a cha focused bard who sings and casts rather than meleeing or scouting much. Some scrolls can help make for your low spells per day. In PF I loved my toilet paper roll of gallant inspiration. By which I mean scroll with 20+ copies of the spell. Best item I had. So good I couldn't care less about the cost to replenish the scrolls. For lower levels there's a more affordable level 1 version. If you have a couple melee allies it will go really well with them; basically you grant one of them an extra hit as an immediate action. Ya... a caster effectively doing melee level damage not as a standard but as an immediate. And yet it's cooperative and group friendly.

You can still get some skills, maybe UMD for utility scrolls from other classes too.

Kaskos
2014-04-06, 06:15 AM
A good resource for being a pathfinder bard is Treantmonk's bard guide, I can attest to this as I just recently made a cohort bard who is pretty beast with a bow and can do his job well, and the stat requirement for and archer bard at least is basically what you have here.

I have had a look through Treat's guide - had a brief look at his Wizard and his Druid one too.
Despite how good his guides are it is rarely a bad idea to put a question in the playground.
Well.... my experience says its never a bad thing.

Looks like Bard is the overall favoured here today though.