PDA

View Full Version : Best psionic gish?

G.Cube
2014-04-05, 09:51 AM
Trying to make a character for a game tomorrow and I've been wanting to break into psionics for a while now. It's an evil campaign so I really want a character who can smash faces and is self-reliant. I've been reading into Psychic Warrior, Wilder, and Ardent, and they all seem to be lacking in one way or another. I don't think full bab is an option for a psionic gish, and I believe two out of the three lack martial weapon proficiencies. So unless there is a better base class option I'm missing, I'll have to give a little for some psionic abilities. I come to you once again, oh playground, which class is best set up for what I want to do?

JeminiZero
2014-04-05, 10:05 AM
There is also the Ranger/Psion/Slayer to consider.

But more generally, what are you hoping to accomplish, and what sources are allowed?

Also, have you looked at the King of Smack (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/910286)?

G.Cube
2014-04-05, 10:09 AM
There is also the Ranger/Psion/Slayer to consider.

But more generally, what are you hoping to accomplish, and what sources are allowed?

Also, have you looked at the King of Smack (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/910286)?

I'll look that up, but as in the op, I want a melee-based character that really hits hard, can self buff, and is somewhat self-reliant, I don't want to depend on my group, should it come to pc vs pc action ( a severely common occurrence at our table) or if we get split up/captured/they die. King of smack is cool, but I was hoping to be swinging a big two hander of some sort around.

Oh, starting at level eight, and beginning with 30,000gp. All books open, but please don't soak me in the fondue pot, the other players aren't too into optimization!

Bloodgruve
2014-04-05, 11:14 AM
Take a good look at Ardent. There are 2 ACF's that really help the class. Dominant Ideal and Substitute Powers! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) Sub Powers lets you basically tailor mantles to your liking and there are some crazy tricks with Dominant Ideal that can break the action economy. Search out the Ardent Handbook for explanation of the really cool tricks.

I ran an Ardent optimizing natural attacks like Bite of the Wolf, Claws of the Beast, Dragon's Tail and Form of Doom... Time Hop is a super awesome power for swift teleport mobility. Basically Night Crawler crossed with Wolverine..

Hustle with Dominant Ideal ACF...

Share Pain with your PsiCrystal...

BAB isn't the best but you can fix it with the right Mantles and Substitue Power.

I like them better as a gish then Psychic Warrior because you have a ton more power points with the same BAB.

IMHO
Blood~

Captnq
2014-04-05, 11:28 AM
One, Go to my sig, get the EVD, get the psionomicon.

I actually spent some time working on psionic builds before work and other requests took precedent. I actually was looking at a Mystic Ranger Psionic combos. Maybe that and psychic warrior?