PDA

View Full Version : World Help Special buildings in medieval fantasy setting

Kaww
2014-04-05, 01:59 PM
Hi guys, I have a very interesting project I'm working on and I need some advice.

What buildings do you think a village in fantasy setting should have besides the houses, artisan workshops, church and tavern. Mind you I'm talking about a village, not forts, towns and cities. An odd wizard's home is fine as is a scholar's home, towers and academies however are not. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Best regards,
Kaww

VoxRationis
2014-04-05, 03:52 PM
Firstly and most importantly, a mill.
Secondly, some sort of house belonging to the person in charge, even if they're just a single knight (assuming a feudal society).

Scootaloo
2014-04-05, 04:54 PM
Well, what sort of village is it? A lot depends on the community's economic needs. A farming community has a grain mill nearby; a forest community has a sawmill instead. A community based around fishing has shipwrights. Everywhere that uses iron has a least one guy with a hammer and anvil. There's bound to be some sort of constabulary, even if it's just a village headman who oversees things too petty to take to the local lord.

A lot of the rest depends on the specifics of your setting; aqueduct systems, roadside wayhouses, hunting lodges, coven meeting places, a masion erected by an eccentric and wealthy time-traveling half-dragon wizard...

Kaww
2014-04-06, 12:55 AM
Well, what sort of village is it? A lot depends on the community's economic needs. A farming community has a grain mill nearby; a forest community has a sawmill instead. A community based around fishing has shipwrights. Everywhere that uses iron has a least one guy with a hammer and anvil. There's bound to be some sort of constabulary, even if it's just a village headman who oversees things too petty to take to the local lord.

A lot of the rest depends on the specifics of your setting; aqueduct systems, roadside wayhouses, hunting lodges, coven meeting places, a masion erected by an eccentric and wealthy time-traveling half-dragon wizard...

All kinds of villages, all kinds of cultural background, but I think aqueduct in a village is going a bit too far. I'm writing a procedure that generates villages based on input such as terrain, resources, climate and all other sorts of things. I need a list of buildings that could potentially pop up in a village that are not unique (another procedure generates unique buildings and locations such as a mansion erected by an eccentric and wealthy time-traveling half-dragon wizard). So far I have workshops of various artisans, inn, church (temple, shaman's home), brewery and mill (courtesy of Voice of Reason).

Speaking of Vox, I'm of two minds regarding the elder's house. My initial thought and the bit of research I did hinted that in the dark ages only people that occasionally had high nobility guests had larger homes. This was because of various practical advantages small homes had over big ones. I'm still not certain how good is this for my generator, since it is meant for a fantasy game and at the same time the result should be as lifelike as possible. In most games important people have big places that are easy to find. Maybe place such homes only in villages with nobility nearby?

Thanks for help and if you have any other ideas, please feel free to post them.

Best regards,
Kaww

Avaris
2014-04-06, 02:47 AM
Stables and various different types of Inn, ranging from a small place with one or two rooms to a luxurious place popular with Merchants passing through.

Not so much a building, but a market square is likely

More fantastical... A Mauseleum or other way of preventing access to the bodies of the dead, so as to keep those pesky necromancers away.

Tzi
2014-04-06, 01:01 PM
Well here are some key buildings for my setting that I try to include in any major town... or minor...

Town Hall Were is government actually done? Where does the Mayor do business? Were are town meetings held? Important business or Court Cases and Trials. This building also can double as the towns courthouse and central archives in the basement for storing important records.
Well/Aqueduct/Water Source They need water and such.
Grain Silos Or generally any other food storage area.
Armory In the event of attack, get your guns, bows, swords, what have you here.
Alchemy Lab Important for healing, treating illness but also a source of valuable research.
Textile Mill Be it a bunch of Looms, OR an actual factory.
Lumber Mill Gotta have wood.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 01:12 PM
Well here are some key buildings for my setting that I try to include in any major town... or minor...

Town Hall Were is government actually done? Where does the Mayor do business? Were are town meetings held? Important business or Court Cases and Trials. This building also can double as the towns courthouse and central archives in the basement for storing important records.
Well/Aqueduct/Water Source They need water and such.
Grain Silos Or generally any other food storage area.
Armory In the event of attack, get your guns, bows, swords, what have you here.
Alchemy Lab Important for healing, treating illness but also a source of valuable research.
Textile Mill Be it a bunch of Looms, OR an actual factory.
Lumber Mill Gotta have wood.

I wouldn't count some of these as stand-alone buildings; a "well" in many cases isn't really a building so much as a single piece of infrastructure, to say nothing of the areas that get their water straight from the river.
As for armories, that implies a disciplined, centralized militia, which isn't appropriate for all villages.
And textile mills are highly anachronistic; before the advent of industrialization, even wage-slave tailors did their weaving at home.

Everyl
2014-04-06, 07:44 PM
This site (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm) gives an extremely useful set of guidelines for the demographics of medieval communities, including the kinds of shops and businesses likely to be in each. You'll probably find a lot of helpful information there.