PDA

View Full Version : Portable Kingdom Hearts 3D ending theory thoughts (MAJOR FREAKING SPOILERS)

Lheticus
2014-04-05, 02:07 PM
I'm not the kind of guy who can drop console-level money. When it was announced that KHIII was going to be released on the PS4, not 3, that, combined with what I thought of the ending to Dream Drop Distance, (which shamefully, I actually spoilered instead of reaching it because it was kicking my butt very hard at the time) well...that was basically the death knell of my continuing to follow the franchise. I thought I'd put my thoughts on the ending right after I saw it, then my thoughts on the same thing I had a problem with for general discussion--share your thoughts!

So, toward at the end of the game, it's revealed that like a frajillion Xehanorts invaded Sora's dream and from there, steadily started steeping his heart in darkness. Riku saves the day and Sora's butt, and then...Yen Sid announces the results of the test that the adventure was SUPPOSED to be based on, but the aforementioned frajillion Xehanorts FUBARed. Riku is a Keyblade Master, Sora isn't.

Now...when I first saw this, it pissed me off A LOT...but I think I know why it went down like that. When the Xehanorts interfered, the test basically became NOTHING like Yen Sid intended, difficulty cranked up beyond all reason. Therefore, in terms of objective worthiness of the title, the test was rendered utterly worthless. I think the reason Yen Sid "failed" Sora? He recognized the LAST thing that kid needs to motivate him is a pat on the back. Riku, by contrast, not only really needed that pat on the back, but from what I saw of him (which was most of it, the furthest I got was Riku vs. Ansem 2nd Phase) he could really have used a friggin hug! Yen Sid gave meaning to what would otherwise have been a completely meaningless test--maybe he's not quite the cryptic trolling ******e I took him for in Kingdom Hearts II--in which he does literally nothing to really help you beyond VERY basic basics.