PDA

View Full Version : Sanity in D&D

atemu1234
2014-04-05, 02:42 PM
For my group I'm making a sort of "Apocalypse How" situation. It involves beings crossing over from the far realm, and I didn't want it to be just another enemy. So I'm thinking of running the Sanity system from D20 Call of Cthulhu. Any pitfalls or recommendations?

mabriss lethe
2014-04-05, 02:53 PM
You could also use the Corruption/depravity rules.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-05, 03:18 PM
You could also use the Corruption/depravity rules.

While Corruption and Depravity are my more favorite designators for alignment shifting, corruption has the nasty habbit of killing the neutral or good characters if it gets too high.

Depravity is ok though, it just makes people go crazy which would fit into a crazy messed up world.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-05, 04:37 PM
You could take a look at the dnd sanity rules variant, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm) and compare it to the CoC version.

atemu1234
2014-04-05, 04:47 PM
The reason I'm using the Sanity rules from CoC is because I wanted it to only really apply to these horrible abominations I've homebrewed from the Far Realm. This way, I don't have to worry about the entire "has wisdom score of one, sees someone murdered, becomes unholy lord" thing. And I do run depravity and corruption, but the thing is those apply to separate things. Depravity and corruption turn someone into an evil person, insanity leaves them mumbling nothings to themselves in the corner of their asylum cell.

ShurikVch
2014-04-06, 03:30 AM
Why not to use actual sanity rules from the Call of Cthulhu D20?
After all, Cthulhu in D&D is hardly a new thing...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pziqFiuwMc8/UvACU_m0fiI/AAAAAAAAFME/zfbRBPEfpBg/s1600/Cthulhu.jpg

atemu1234
2014-04-06, 02:01 PM
The reason I want to include the sanity system is because while corruption and depravity are good for making a character evil or dead, the sanity system is the only system capable of reducing a PC to a gibbering wreck under the control of the DM.