PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinging Magus?

ArendK
2014-04-05, 03:46 PM
So I built a character for a campaign a while back prior to my deployment that I never really got to enjoy. A tiefling Gunslinger 1/Magus (Myrmidarch) 5. It was a 25 Point Buy. This is what I built;

STR 10
DEX 18
CON 13
INT 18
WIS 14
CHA 8

Feats-Deft Shootist Deed, Dodge, Mobility, Extra Arcana, Rapid Reload (Pistol), Deadly Aim
Traits- Magical Knack (Magus), Wisdom in the Flesh (Swim)- it was an a pirate themed campaign.
Flaws-Vulnerable and Meager Fortitude.

Arcana- Spell Shield and Pool Strike.

The party had everything but real damage, and not having much experience with either class (Magus or Gunslinger) and the group favored somewhat off-the-wall characters that didn't necessarily excel at their given roles and I know the GM was one to push combat to be difficult, so effectiveness in combat was paramount to what I did.
So I read through the rules, and ran it by the GM as far as Ranged Spellstrike with the pistol and making sure everything worked with Pool Strike/Shocking Grasp. The GM agreed that it looked legit, so we went to work. Pistols aren't a Touch attack, they just target Touch AC, so Deadly Aim was good to go as well.

And this character dominated. Utilizing spellshield timed with Mobility, my AC for the level was insane for the GM to hit (never took damage, despite being the target of the most attacks).

While I was proud of the characters efforts and performance, I am always one to fine-tune my works and creations. So I researched into the Magus/Gunslinger Guides and the general consensus I received looking into the guides was "don't do what I did."

So with this style of build, what changes to the character would optimizers make to improve this character overall? It was a blast (no pun intended) to use the character. I'd like to use this concept again in the future, but knowing how I can make the character improve the versatility or level of devastation.
Thanks all!

Snowbluff
2014-04-05, 05:04 PM
You might want to consider replacing Gunslinger with Spellslinger Wizard. That will get you a bit more mileage and variety out of shooting spells.

Some would not agree that Myrmidarch works at all as intended. I have no idea why. *shrugs*

Spore
2014-04-05, 05:43 PM
So I researched into the Magus/Gunslinger Guides and the general consensus I received looking into the guides was "don't do what I did."

It's the same reason why Blaster sorcerer are not recommended but highly fun and rewarding in REAL play.

While a Magus/Gunslinger, an uber charger, your average barbarian or an blaster sorcerer won't excel in harder combat (just try and damage a blue adult dragon) they can do one thing for sure. DESTROY unsecured hitpoints. You throw a demon lord at them? Pulverized in a few seconds. Waves of elite soldiers? Exploded. Half Fiend Troll Warlord? Killed in two rounds.

If the enemy starts to use layers of defenses (miss chances, high high (touch) AC, spell immunity, globe of invulnerability, spell resistance, damage reduction/-) then combat gets harder (or even breaks for some concepts.

Try killing a golem with your magus. Try killing a horde of small minions with an ubercharger without options. Try to kill a prepared wizard with your frothing barbarian.