PDA

View Full Version : Adventures that feature racism, revolts, unrest, etc.

RealMarkP
2014-04-05, 04:13 PM
One of the players in my campaign is a Half-Orc. And as part of a lead up to Red Hand of Doom, I'm trying to play an angle where Orcs are shunned, feared, and generally distrusted. There will be racism involved, possible lynchings, and the like (ala The American South). What I'm looking for are small published adventures where I can draw some inspiration from (edition does not matter), perhaps with an extremist cult that wants to wipe out anyone with Orcish blood.

Any thoughts?

Plot/Adventure hooks are also welcome.

Mastikator
2014-04-05, 09:27 PM
It's not a published adventure as such, but the way non-nords (especially non-humans) are treated by nords in the Elder Scrolls: Skyrim game is worth looking into. The nords feel like they're being oppressed by the elves (and to an extent, they are), they use this an excuse to oppress all elves and even argonians and khajiits.
Orcs are a "monster" race, maybe some orc group attacked in the past and though they're more at the mercy of humans today they're still hated. Throw in the fact that orcs behave differently, more aggressively, which humans interpret as hostility and maybe an elevated crime rate amongst orcs due to poverty and you got humans hating orcs and orcs perhaps wanting to revolt making humans hate them even more. Both sides will see the others as the escalator of hostility.

Libertad
2014-04-06, 12:39 PM
There's a retroclone of Basic D&D called Lamentations of the Flame Princess. One of its free adventures, Better Than Any Man, takes place during the 30 Years War in the Holy Roman Empire. A group of 7 genuine witches conducted a magic ritual to gain rulership over the town of Karlstadt.

The major focus of this adventure involves dungeon-crawling and a secret cult, but the backdrop is of a collapsing society as the Swedish Army invades, and many women are being hung as witches as the situation in Karlstadt leads to religious fervor. There's also the conflict between Lutherans and Catholics as well.

I reviewed the adventure here in depth, and it might be useful to mine ideas from. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10950.0)

It can be downloaded for free from Drive-Thru RPG.