PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bardblade

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-05, 05:32 PM
I'm going to play into a campaign where most of the pc ,3 out of 5, are melee characters. Since we already have a dedicated healer i decide to make a supporting/buffing char.

All i know about this class combo is that:

1) it requires Warblade and bard, not the leveling progression: Es 1 level of bard then 2 of warblade
2) it focuses on white raven manouvers
3) How to distribute the stats (16-16-16-15-14-10, no particular order)
4)feats
5)race
any help is appreciated

Irk
2014-04-05, 05:42 PM
The feats necessary are song fo the white raven, song of heart, Words of creation, and dragonfire inspiration.

As for race, pick anything, but apply the dragonborn template.

You should also get a vest of legends and a badge of valor.

paperarmor
2014-04-05, 06:37 PM
Also, it bears mentioning that Song of the Heart can be traded with inspire conpetence freeing up a feat which if you do can open you up for taking Draconic heritage along with the above feats, (note Words of Creation may be considered cheesy by your DM YMMV.) and change the energy damage to something besides fire. For a decent bardblade I'd go Bard 4/Warblade 16, then you get a good amount of bardic music and ninth level Maneuvers.
Stats should be fine whatever you do

Darrin
2014-04-05, 07:06 PM
Also, it bears mentioning that Song of the Heart can be traded with inspire conpetence freeing up a feat

That won't work. Song of the Heart has Inspire Competence as a prereq, so you can't use the Music of Creation ACF to take it at 3rd. The earliest level you can swap out something for Song of the Heart is Bard 6, when you get Suggestion.

paperarmor
2014-04-05, 07:11 PM
My bad never used the acf option. but Bard6/warblade14 is still pretty good at any rate.

TiaC
2014-04-05, 07:16 PM
I'd go with 16, 14, 16, 15, 10, 16 for stats.

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-05, 07:38 PM
Aside from the dragonblooded(+0 race), is there an alternative?, i don't like the looks of the race :D

Irk
2014-04-05, 07:49 PM
Aside from the dragonblooded(+0 race), is there an alternative?, i don't like the looks of the race :D
Pick any race you like and apply the dragonborn template.

Techwarrior
2014-04-05, 08:06 PM
A 'Bardblade' typically uses between 3 and 4 levels of Bard, and then multi-classes into Warblade and continues it's level progression as a Warblade. The idea is to use Song of the White Raven to essentially hack Inspire Courage onto a near-full BAB and Initiator progression.

Notable stuff for a Bardblade (or anyone else trying to boost IC)
The 1st level Bard Spell Inspirational BoostSpell Compendium is a Swift action spell that grants a +1 to your Inspire Courage that round.
The feat Song of the HeartEbberon Campaign Setting grants a big boost to most of your songs, notably a +1 to your Inspire Courage's effect. It requires Inspire Competence, and is a great 3rd level feat for a Bard.
The Badge of ValorMagic Item Compendium grants the ability to boost your Inspire Courage's effect by another +1 as an Immediate action.
Song of the White Raven stacks your Bard and Warblade levels for the purposes of your Inspire Courage. It requires you to have taken a White Raven stance.

Other than a Charisma score high enough for your 2nd level bard buffs (12-14 is plenty), build yourself as a normal Warblade.

You can have all of this by about level 6 without too much trouble if your DM lets you have some selection of your items. Unless your DM is used to such shenanigans though, try and be gentle with them. It can be overwhelming to an unprepared DM to suddenly have to deal all of your party's attacks dealing an extra 4d6 fire damage at level 3.

TiaC
2014-04-06, 01:16 AM

Silverbrow human gets you the subtype and a bonus feat.

Darrin
2014-04-06, 07:35 AM

You can also take a 1-level dip into Dragonfire Adept to pick up Dragontouched.

If you're looking for a race with a Cha bonus, Spellscale (Races of the Dragon) would work, but looks-wise you're still in the Dragonborn neighborhood.

DCraw
2014-04-06, 08:51 AM
The typical BardBlade starts off as Bard 4/Warblade (or Crusader) 16. You'll want to take the Bard levels first, so that you can take 2nd level maneuvers for your first Warblade/Crusader level. Other than that the order isn't particularly important.

Any race will do, but the common choices are Human (this build can be pretty feat starved), Silverbrow Human (for the dragonblooded subtype, but only if you're happy with Dragonfire Inspiration doing fire damage), or Dragonborn X (again, for the dragonblooded subtype, although not getting a bonus feat hurts).

Key feats are:
Song of the White Raven (Allows your Bard and Warblade/Crusader levels to stack for the purpose of calculating the bonus given by Inspire Courage)
Dragonfire Inspiration (Converts your IC bonus to attack into +Xd6 fire damage) - requires the dragonblooded subtype
Words of Creation (Doubles your IC bonus, but you take 3d4 nonlethal damage when you use it) - requires good alignment

Useful feats are:
Dragontouched (Gives the dragonblooded subtype and allows you to qualify for draconic feats as a Sorcerer of your level, opening up Draconic Heritage)
Draconic Heritage (Converts your DFI damage to another energy type, typically sonic) - requires Sorcerer 1
Song of the Heart (+1 IC bonus, may or may not be doubled by Words of Creation - check with your DM)
Lingering Song (your DFI/IC lasts for 10 rounds after you stop performing instead of 5)
Two Weapon Fighting line (with all of the extra damage you can push out, getting more attacks is worth it)

Useful items:
Vest of Legends (+5 Bard levels for the purpose of calculating your IC bonus)
Masterwork Mandolin (+1 attack bonus to IC, -2 saves vs charm/fear. Since DFI is keyed off the attack bonus granted by IC, this is the best instrument to use)
Badge of Valor (swift action to activate, grants +1 to IC bonus)

Useful Maneuvers:
White Raven Tactics (give an ally an extra turn)
Iron Heart Surge (remove a condition or effect)
Dancing/Raging Mongoose (+1-4 attacks until the end of your turn)
Time Stands Still (make 2 full attacks)

All told, your base IC bonus could easily be +6 by level 15, +7 with a swift action to use your Badge of Valor or cast Inspirational Boost. This gets doubled by Words of Creation to either +11 or +14*, which DFI converts to +11-14d6 sonic damage. Once your buffing is done, focus on full attacking with X Mongoose and Time Stands Still. You only get 4 Bardic Music uses per day, though, so you probably won't be using both DFI and IC in a single battle.

An alternative version involves taking Sublime Chord and Jade Pheonix Mage to progress your maneuvers while giving you Sorcerer spellcasting. You'll lose +1 to your IC bonus, but level 8/9 spells are worth it.
These builds typically go either Bard 7 / Warblade 2 / JPM 1 / SC 1 / JPM 9 (for level 9 spells and level 8 maneuvers), or Bard 5 / Warblade 2 / JPM 3 / SC 1 / JPM 7 / Warblade 2 (for level 8 spells and level 9 maneuvers). I've given the sequence here because it does actually matter. You need to take the first level of JPM before you take the level of SC, and you need at least 7 levels of Bard casting (to grant you 3rd level spells) in order to qualify for SC. These builds also give you a few more uses of Bardic Music, allowing you to use both DFI and IC.

*Some DMs may rule that Words of Creation only doubles the IC bonus from levels, not any extra bonus derived from items or feats.