PDA

View Full Version : Changing the type! Human to aberation/ magical beast

Yaitanos
2014-04-05, 10:07 PM
I need a template that can turn a humanoid into either a aberation or magical beast. I have an idea for a character but a template I want to use can only be applied to these things. I'd rather not use Elan, so template suggestions would be preferable. If races are to be suggested I need something with a high int or cha mods.

Rubik
2014-04-05, 10:14 PM
Do you need the type change permanently? Because there's the Aberrate spell, which turns the target into an aberration. Also, Polymorph or Metamorphosis.

Also, elan, from the XPH and the SRD, is an aberration, as is the synad, from CPsi. Elans are explicitly made from humans, though you may want to talk your DM into allowing you to NOT lose all of your levels (or use a thought bottle).

Oh, and Polymorph Any Object can turn you into an aberration or magical beast permanently, as can the True Mind Switch power.

Or you could take levels in the ghost savage progression (human to undead) and then use the malevolence ability to possess a creature you like.

Yaitanos
2014-04-05, 10:20 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention it has to be a +0 lvl adj. template, as the character starts at 1st lvl. And the template I want to use can only be applied to aberation, magical beast, animal, plant or vermin. So going ghost won't benefit me (Sorry Danny).

Darrin
2014-04-06, 08:01 AM
There are no LA +0 templates that can change a humanoid to aberration. The closest I can get is Symbiotic creature (Savage Species): human + myconid junior worker.

There's at least one template with an unlisted LA: Corrupted by the Abyss (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits), but given everything it gives you, there's really no way to justify that it's LA +0.

ShurikVch
2014-04-06, 09:15 AM
"Corrupted by the Abyss" actually have listed LA. It's "LA: -"

Technically, “Corrupted” from Book of Vile Darkness and "Arachnoid Creature" from the Underdark are LA +0, because no LA adjustment listed. (BoVD is 3.0; Underdark is 3.5)

From ECL 1 races of Aberration or Magical Beast type, there are Daelkyr Half-Blood (Aberration) from the Magic of Eberron:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2712805518_7f31676ae5.jpg
Beguiler (Small Magical Beast) from the Shining South:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ssouth_gallery/84366.jpg
Tressym (Tiny Magical Beast) from Lost Empires of Faerūn:

http://dustin.wdfiles.com/local--files/tressym/tressym.jpg
and, if the 3rd-party is OK, Murloc (Aberration) from the Manual of Monsters (Warcraft the RPG):

http://wiki.rpgverse.ru/w/images/thumb/e/e1/Murloc.jpg/250px-Murloc.jpg

EDIT: Also, that template can be applyed to animals, right? Dungeon #100 WE have spell Dire Reincarnation - like normal Reincarnation, but only to the Dire Animals. How about Dire Rat?

BWR
2014-04-06, 09:27 AM
Ask your DM if you can be an aberration/magical beast with the human traits an appearance you were considering. Easiest solution since you want such a small change; it's the equivalent of a homebrew template that says "change current creature type to Aberration or Magical Beast".

Urpriest
2014-04-06, 09:48 AM
LA +0 templates are few and far between, this really isn't a reasonable thing to expect to find. There are a few LA +0 races that are aberrations or magical beasts, but if that doesn't help you then you're stuck.

Ruethgar
2014-04-06, 10:24 AM
The Aberrant template from The Book of Templates Deluxe Eddition can be LA +0 if used with SS. You just have to make sure to cherry pick the abilities to balance out instead of rolling, Bonus Feat, Darkvision and Horrific Visage would do it for LA+0 easily.

Also the only one that alters a creature to magical beast is the MotP Shadow template. Otherwise a ritual of association from savage species may be able to qualify you if it is an acquired template you are after.

Inevitability
2014-04-06, 12:36 PM
If you're willing to go with Incarnate Construct cheese, you'll have a bit more room when choosing a template.

Warforged+Incarnate Construct=-2 LA race.

Now slap any +2 LA template that makes you an aberration on top of that and you got yourself an aberrant humanoid.

Urpriest
2014-04-06, 12:54 PM
If you're willing to go with Incarnate Construct cheese, you'll have a bit more room when choosing a template.

Warforged+Incarnate Construct=-2 LA race.

Now slap any +2 LA template that makes you an aberration on top of that and you got yourself an aberrant humanoid.

Doesn't work. The -2 LA only counteracts previous LA, you can't use it to lower future LA since it has minimum LA +0. So you have to turn into an aberration before applying Incarnate Construct, which means you can't use Incarnate Construct.