PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advantage to Gifted Blade design?

Larkas
2014-04-05, 11:18 PM
So, the Gifted Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/gifted-blade) is a great archetype to the awesome Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife) remake by DSP. However, it breaks the trend set by other "supernatural warriors" that came before it: the Paladin and the Ranger (and if you go 3.5, the Hexblade and the Soulborn too), in that it provides "early" access to the supernatural powers at 3rd level, versus 4th for the other classes.

Is there any obvious advantage to that approach? More specifically, is there any important lesson to learn from that design quirk, such that it should be backported to the earlier classes?

Psyren
2014-04-06, 12:37 AM
Honestly, I'd be fine with giving all of them casting at first level (even just cantrips) with 0 spells/day, relying on a high mental ability score to cast anything.

The Soulborn is a different beast, and their restricted access to incarnum at low levels is just criminal.

Shinken
2014-04-06, 06:17 AM
I agree with Psyren. It doesn't make much of a difference to me, though, since I stopped running 1st level games years ago.

Feint's End
2014-04-06, 07:59 AM
And Marksman gets them at first level so .... what is your point? There is no rule written for when 4 level casting classes should get their first grade. It just seems like WotC had the idea of putting them all at 4th level but since different classes are different amounts of "magic" or "psionic" it's entirely reasonable to put it at levels it makes sense at.

Larkas
2014-04-06, 09:25 AM
Honestly, I'd be fine with giving all of them casting at first level (even just cantrips) with 0 spells/day, relying on a high mental ability score to cast anything.

The Soulborn is a different beast, and their restricted access to incarnum at low levels is just criminal.

I agree with Psyren. It doesn't make much of a difference to me, though, since I stopped running 1st level games years ago.

Thanks for the input, guys! I must say I agree with you, even though "slow casting from 1st level" screams 5 spell levels for me (thinking of Duskblade, Adept and even Mystic Ranger here).

Psyren
2014-04-06, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input, guys! I must say I agree with you, even though "slow casting from 1st level" screams 5 spell levels for me (thinking of Duskblade, Adept and even Mystic Ranger here).

You could do that too. Just cherry-pick some interesting ones from the Cleric and Druid lists for the Paladin and Ranger respectively that don't feel too "caster-y." (e.g. no flame strike.)

Also, add Psychic Rogue to the 5 spell levels/casting from 1st level club.

Curiously, Divine Mind has delayed casting too yet they get all the way to 6ths.

Larkas
2014-04-06, 12:11 PM
You could do that too. Just cherry-pick some interesting ones from the Cleric and Druid lists for the Paladin and Ranger respectively that don't feel too "caster-y." (e.g. no flame strike.)

Also, add Psychic Rogue to the 5 spell levels/casting from 1st level club.

Curiously, Divine Mind has delayed casting too yet they get all the way to 6ths.

Hmmm, great idea! Come to think of it, DSP even added back the much missed 0-level powers, so even Gifted Blade could have that treatment. Thanks a lot, Psyren! :smallsmile: