PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia

ChaosArchon
2014-04-05, 11:56 PM
So I've seen it mentioned a lot of times of tv tropes, but despite the gitp forums being a forum of one of the largest roleplaying communities I know of, I've never seen it mentioned on the site. Am I just missing something or is it one of those old rpgs that sounds awesome but just kinda dropped off in popularity?

Pie Guy
2014-04-06, 12:28 AM
It actually gets brought up pretty frequently, but mostly in storytime threads and such. There aren't many dedicated threads to it.

BWR
2014-04-06, 01:13 AM
It gets mentioned in passing. I think the reason it doesn't get its own threads all that often are:
- few problems with canonicity - there's the AC, the Computer, R&D and color coding and you don't have clearance to know any more. Everything's ridiculous so no need to worry about if you're doing it right so long as it's funny. Also, how often are characters useful for more than one 'adventure' anyway?
- few rules problems. Fairly simple rules, and since the game is meant to be unfair and kill the PCs people worry more about acting in a 'sensible' manner than making sure the rules are balanced and fair. Also, no point in builds.
- fewer group problems. This one is a bit of a stretch on my part, but I get the feeling that Paranoia isn't the sort of game that exacerbates RL problems. Players who hog the spotlight will suffer more character death, interparty conflict is the norm, and you probably aren't going to even start playing the game if you take games too seriously.

ChaosArchon
2014-04-06, 01:53 AM
Ah alright that makes sense then I guess, glad to know its still around and all. It sounds really interesting and if I ever find a group of people in my area who play roleplay games Paranoia sounds like something that could be fun to play.

Telok
2014-04-06, 08:05 AM
After several years of having the book on my shelf I got to actually run Paranoia a few months ago. It's a good way to keep gaming when things happen and you can't your regular group (or enough of them) togather to keep your regular game on track.

And yes, it's an absolute blast to play and to GM.

Devils_Advocate
2014-05-13, 02:47 AM
If you haven't already, consider visiting Paranoia Live (http://www.paranoia-live.net/news.php) and downloading JParanoia. Although it's been years since I tried it and I didn't wind up really getting into it, I remember the program being pretty simple to use and playing Paranoia via online chat to be pretty easy and fun. :)

Friv
2014-05-13, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the reasons that there aren't a lot of Paranoia threads as a rule is that every Paranoia thread ultimately is just people talking about great moments of absurdity they had during a Paranoia game. We can't argue the rules, because they're largely meaningless, we can't discuss the setting because it's largely an extended gag, and we can't discuss builds because there's no such thing effectively speaking. Add to that the fact that the vast majority of Paranoia takes place in single-session games, rather than long campaigns, and you don't have a lot of things to discuss.

But man, is it fun to play. The best game I ever ran was one in which the PCs were put in charge of managing a parade for Computer Day, because every higher-level clone was taking the day off to enjoy the festivities. As a result, every office was stocked with people who didn't know what they were doing and the usual band of disasters and mishaps unfurled (high point - leading an entire parade into a subway tunnel to avoid crossing a high-clearance sector, but everyone forgetting to warn the subway employees. A quarter of the parade got killed by a subway train.)

BWR
2014-05-13, 03:19 PM
Christmas time in Alpha Complex. Loyal troubleshooters are sent out to acquire a tree.

The next band is tasked with decorating it.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-13, 04:45 PM
Christmas time in Alpha Complex. Loyal troubleshooters are sent out to acquire a tree.

The next band is tasked with decorating it.

I've done something different. There have been rumors in HOH sector about an overweight red-clearance clone with unregulational facial hair, who is distributing suspicious wrapped boxes to other clones. Clearly this is some kind of secret society business that needs to be shot down (no, not shut down) and the packages confiscated and/or incinerated. Featuring an epic battle with Robolph the infrared-nosed reinbot.

prufock
2014-05-15, 09:16 AM
I've done something different. There have been rumors in HOH sector about an overweight red-clearance clone with unregulational facial hair, who is distributing suspicious wrapped boxes to other clones. Clearly this is some kind of secret society business that needs to be shot down (no, not shut down) and the packages confiscated and/or incinerated. Featuring an epic battle with Robolph the infrared-nosed reinbot.

Coincidence? I did almost exactly the same thing. Commie Santa distributing the wealth. It also included "rejected" half-sized clones, in green-clearance overalls no less. One of my players made the mistake of exclaiming "oh man it's Santa Claus." Unfortunately for him, that knowledge is above his clearance.

Citizen Nij
2014-05-15, 09:50 AM
As it happens, there is a small thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344422-FRIEND-COMPUTER-Wants-You!-%28Paranoia-XP%29) of people looking to start a game or several. The only issue seems to be getting a GM, but I believe Pleremque is to be the doing of this.

Jay R
2014-05-15, 11:34 AM
If you haven't already, consider visiting Paranoia Live (http://www.paranoia-live.net/news.php) and downloading JParanoia. Although it's been years since I tried it and I didn't wind up really getting into it, I remember the program being pretty simple to use and playing Paranoia via online chat to be pretty easy and fun. :)

I cannot imagine getting into the mood to play Paranoia and then using the Computer to do it.

"You should trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend."

John Longarrow
2014-05-16, 09:27 AM
Jay R
Please remember, the computer is your friend. The computer wishes you to be happy. The computer deserves your trust and loyalty.

Please report to react 17. Your Red clearance is being reduce to Black.

Jay B
Please attend position enhancement training shielding position 14-D, Level 6.

Have a nice day. ☺

icefractal
2014-05-16, 02:04 PM
I really want to like Paranoia, because the concept sounds awesome. Then I read some of the book, and the details sounded awesome too. But after several games of it, with different GMs, I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me.

Why? I think it can be summed up by this comic:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/words_that_end_in_gry.png

Impossible odds are fine. Gratuitous deadliness is fine - expected, even. Being ****ed with by the Computer, your fellow troubleshooters, and even your own equipment - that's all totally cool.

What's not cool is being ****ed with by the GM, in terms of presenting a faulty interface to the game. And that's what has happened every time I've played Paranoia:
"You didn't say you turned the lasers back off before walking through them, so you get zapped and die"
"You walk in the room ... and get shot by the security forces there. You didn't ask if the floor was red."
GM: "You're doing X?" Player: "No, actually Y." GM: "The term 'Y' is above your clearance, you die for knowing it."
Player: "Ok, I rolled a 10 for X." GM: "I didn't technically say it was X, it was a Y check instead. So you auto-fail."

To me, that's not "hard mode", that's not even "Nintendo hard", that's trying to play a game with a half-broken controller while somebody kicks your chair to distract you. And it annoys the **** out of me.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-16, 02:37 PM
What's not cool is being ****ed with by the GM, in terms of presenting a faulty interface to the game. And that's what has happened every time I've played Paranoia:
"You didn't say you turned the lasers back off before walking through them, so you get zapped and die"
"You walk in the room ... and get shot by the security forces there. You didn't ask if the floor was red."
GM: "You're doing X?" Player: "No, actually Y." GM: "The term 'Y' is above your clearance, you die for knowing it."
Player: "Ok, I rolled a 10 for X." GM: "I didn't technically say it was X, it was a Y check instead. So you auto-fail."

Yeah, that's just bad DM'ing. Paranoia isn't supposed to be played like that.

I've had the same kind of bad DM'ing in D&D a couple of times, those are the kind of people you don't let DM a second time.

icefractal
2014-05-16, 02:41 PM
This was like three different GMs though, and nobody else at the table seemed bothered by it (they might have been hiding it though, it's not like I threw a fit myself). And the "knowing the rules is above your clearance" thing is actually official, or so I've heard.

But - I definitely would like to be mistaken about this. I'm just wary about giving it another try, based on my track record so far.

BWR
2014-05-16, 03:01 PM
This was like three different GMs though, and nobody else at the table seemed bothered by it (they might have been hiding it though, it's not like I threw a fit myself). And the "knowing the rules is above your clearance" thing is actually official, or so I've heard.

But - I definitely would like to be mistaken about this. I'm just wary about giving it another try, based on my track record so far.

Three different GMs who didn't know eachother or three different GMs who usually play together? And do said GM's usually act like this in other games?
I've really only played it once, and didn't have any problems like that. I don't really see anything wrong with it as such. A bit extreme for most cases (bordering on Pervo levels), but as long as the players like it that way, I can't complain. But be reassured that it is perfectly possible to play Paranoia without going to such lengths.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-16, 03:11 PM
And the "knowing the rules is above your clearance" thing is actually official, or so I've heard.

Almost. Knowing the rules is fine, but demonstrating that you know them is not. This rule is to prevent rules talk and blatant munchkinry at the game table.

For example,
DM: The commies turn toward you and aim their laser pistols.
Player A: I dive behind the machine.
DM (rolls): One of them hits you for 5 damage.
Player A: Wait, aren't I supposed to get a dodge roll? And he has a -2 penalty because I'm behind cover! And laser pistols only deal 1d4 damage!
Player B: How do you know those rules?
Player C: Kill the traitor!

Note also that the DM can't just declare your clone dead. The above situation will very likely result in a shoot-out and will likely result in player A's clone dying, but maybe not. He still gets to fire back, run away, convince his teammates, and so forth; and in any general shoot-out there's usually at least one clone who wants to take advantage of the confusion and shoot someclone else.

BRC
2014-05-16, 03:12 PM

It's an easy trap to fall into for a GM, they're told "make the game hard" and "make the game lethal". It's not surprising that you've run into multiple GM's doing that. I think it's mostly because they're told that Paranoia is a game where the GM should be killing off PC's casually and frequently, so they're mimicking the traditional "Bloodthirsty GM" characteristics.

A Paranoia GM SHOULD kill off PC's casually and frequently, but they shouldn't resort to anything that petty.

In fact, ideally, you just get the PC's to kill off each other.

"Knowing the rules is above your clearance" is 100% official. It's there to prevent rules-lawyers, and because the game isn't supposed to be about juggling numbers anyway. Plus, it gives the GM leeway to change the rules as they see fit. But stuff like "What skill do I roll to do X" is not what they're talking about.

obryn
2014-05-16, 03:33 PM
It's an easy trap to fall into for a GM, they're told "make the game hard" and "make the game lethal". It's not surprising that you've run into multiple GM's doing that. I think it's mostly because they're told that Paranoia is a game where the GM should be killing off PC's casually and frequently, so they're mimicking the traditional "Bloodthirsty GM" characteristics.
Yeah, this is a result of completely ignoring the actual guidelines for running Paranoia. :smallbiggrin:

Much love for the game, here in my group. But there's not much to talk about. I never got into the "serious" versions, so all of my games are generally "classic" style. So you have a fun, awesome adventure. Then you're done until you play it again.

Telok
2014-05-16, 07:03 PM
The first rule of Paranoia is: Is it funny?

One time my troubleshooters caused a fuel dump explosion. While the survivors were getting away in a stolen IntSec van (and racking up more treason points) they flubbed a driving check and rolled the van down a long, steep, ramp. The driver ended up with three broken limbs so the others used the PDC's emergency doc bot request app (I'm a nice GM).

I thought that it would be funny to have all the regular doc bots dealing with the casualties from the fuel depot and make the players deal with a series of doc bots that R&D had "improved". So nintey seconds later a rocket-on-roller skates doc bot rammed the troubleshooters who failed dodge rolls and started trying to administer duct tape, superglue, and joy juice.

Quote of the hour: "This doc bot is worse than useless. I hit the doc bot app to summon another one."