PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Scaling Encounters

Thomas Hunter
2014-04-06, 12:55 AM
So, I run a SW RCR campaign. I love the system, but one of the weaker points is that there isn't really a challenge rating system. All that's provided is an extremely vague "challenge code" system, which is also the primary basis of XP gain.
This had led to some problems. Mistakes have happened in both sides of the spectrum (the party easily took out a squad of five Stormtroopers at first level, despite the fact that the stormies have DR 5 and there were only three of them at the time; they were also hammered by three stormies with the same stats and an officer, at second level). Does anyone have suggestions on this? Does anyone still play RCR? Or at least have memories if a solution was found?

BWR
2014-04-06, 01:24 AM
In d20, any sort of CR system is at best a vague guideline. There are too many variables to be anything moire than vague, like how good tactically the group is, how well the players know the system, PC builds, environmental factors, how smart the GM plays the enemies, and plain ol' luck (dice rolls). The best way to build accurately challenging encounters for your group is to know what the characters can do and know your players and work off that. In this particular case, you haven't told us the details of the two encoutners.
If in the first the PCs got the drop on stormies, used good tactics and were a bit lucky with their rolls, then no wonder the stormies went down. If in the second the PCs were suprised by the stormies and ate a swarm of grenades, then no wonder they lost. Also, what level was the officer? If you use the Imperial officer archetype from the book, he's level 4, which makes him a challenge for the PCs on his own.

Rhynn
2014-04-06, 01:34 AM
The absolute best solution: don't force combats, leave the PCs ways to get themselves out of combat or avoid it entirely, and encourage the players to make use of these opportunities.

There, now the players have the power and you don't need to worry so much.

Thomas Hunter
2014-04-06, 12:27 PM
The PCs got a surprise round both times. In fact, the main difference between the two combats was that the first had cover in the form of crates, and the second had it in the form of ventilation ducts (which did mean that leaving once meant leaving permanently). The officer was level three, but was designed to be a recurring villain (until the PCs vengefully blew up his ship as he attempted to escape. Meh, I suppose it's still possible).

I try not to force combats (though the first one was a bit unavoidable), but my players are a bit, shall we say, bloodthirsty. Or at least, they consider combat to be the main point of the game, despite the fact that they're a secret SpecOps team (that, in theory, prioritizes stealth and even diplomacy).