PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Is it possible to setup a reasonable extraplanar mining production at 7th level?

RPGaddict28
2014-04-06, 01:40 AM
Our party is working on an airship, and we thought that making it out of mithril would be a good idea. My idea was to setup a portal between the Material and Elemental Plane of Earth, have a bunch of LG or LN dwarves and other miner races mine in it, and then we sell the non mithril metals, to pay the workers. Our problem is that we don't know how to properly make this portal. Is there any way we can make one at 7th level, using an Artificer and a Wizard?

Also, what would the costs be? We need miners, miner tools, foodstuffs, movers, blacksmiths, salesmen, wood for supports, a portal, etc.

Ansem
2014-04-06, 04:36 AM
A lvl 9 Cleric can cast Planeshift, for Wizard/Sorcerer it's a lvl 7 spell.

RPGaddict28
2014-04-06, 01:12 PM
A lvl 9 Cleric can cast Planeshift, for Wizard/Sorcerer it's a lvl 7 spell.

True, but it isn't precise, and Greater Plane Shift is out of our budget.

Envyus
2014-04-06, 01:39 PM
I don't recall there being any Air on the elemental plane of earth so this would rather hard to do. Also there is all the rock monsters and the fact that just going there can result in you getting crushed because there is nothing but rocks and dirt there. The Quasi elemental plane of minerals would be easier to find what you're looking for. (Well except for the part were all the gems and stuff there is as sharp as vorpal blades.)

Really the inner planes are very very hostile

True, but it isn't precise, and Greater Plane Shift is out of our budget.

Do you need to go anywhere in particular in the plane if not the precision is not that important.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 01:48 PM
Well, the precision is important for two reasons:
1) You want to be able to return to the mine, both to bring the workers home and to ensure that you don't have to clear out a new area each time.
2) You want to be able to find a location on the Elemental Plane that actually has mithril and other valuable materials there. While these locations are more plentiful on the Elemental Plane of Earth than on the Material plane, there are a lot of locations that are just rock or soil without anything valuable.

Envyus
2014-04-06, 01:53 PM
Well, the precision is important for two reasons:
1) You want to be able to return to the mine, both to bring the workers home and to ensure that you don't have to clear out a new area each time.
2) You want to be able to find a location on the Elemental Plane that actually has mithril and other valuable materials there. While these locations are more plentiful on the Elemental Plane of Earth than on the Material plane, there are a lot of locations that are just rock or soil without anything valuable.

True but they have no way of discovering were that is until they go there upon which they will likely be crushed as the only space between them is rock. Pretty much what I am trying to say is.

Don't bother with this plan the only main elemental plane more hostile to non natives is the Fire plane. Your miners and you are pretty likely to die upon entering.

RPGaddict28
2014-04-06, 01:55 PM
What book is the mineral plane from?

True but they have no way of discovering were that is until they go there upon which they will likely be crushed as the only space between them is rock. Pretty much what I am trying to say is.

Don't bother with this plan the only main elemental plane more hostile to non natives is the Fire plane. Your miners and you are pretty likely to die upon entering.

We would have taken care of the mining area before we got there. We have a Warforged so air isn't a problem, and casting earth shape is extended on this plane.

Envyus
2014-04-06, 02:03 PM

We would have taken care of the mining area before we got there. We have a Warforged so air isn't a problem, and casting earth shape is extended on this plane.

http://www.knownlands.com/sites/default/files/writers/innerplanes.jpg

There are pretty much an unlimited amount of planes made up of anything. The plane of minerals is one of the inner planes I think planescape gives the most info about it.

Anyway seem the only problem you will have is planer travel and rock monsters.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 02:49 PM

Yes, but first the Warforged has to go there to cast earth shape, which is a problem when you get crushed by an infinite continent of stone. That said, some cheap divinations, such as augury, can help you at least not pick a location that immediately kills you.