PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dwarven Shield Brothers

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 12:22 PM
Me and a friend are planning on making two identical Dwarven Shield Brothers, the whole point of this build is to sit in front of the new guys and keep the bad guys from ripping them apart as they learn to play casters. This may be an E10 game but we're not sure yet so a full 20 build would be helpful too. Heres what ive got so far;

Fighter 2/Knight 3
1st-Combat Reflexes, Phalanx Fighting
2nd- Hold the Line
3rd-Shield Specialization
6th-Formation Expert or Shield Ward

Now I will be wielding a Dwarven Urgosh as well as a Light Crossbow and hiding behind a Hide Shield. So im looking for a PrC to go into, as well as feats the would make us a better shield wall.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 01:02 PM
Isn't the Dwarven Urgrosh a two-handed weapon?

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 02:58 PM
I thought that too, but i read its entry and it says that it cant be used as a Double Weapon when wielded in one hand, so it seems like it can do both.

VoxRationis
2014-04-06, 03:00 PM
And you don't take a penalty for using it in one hand? Interesting...
Isn't Phalanx Fighting designed for light weapons? Or is it a different feat I'm thinking of?

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 03:06 PM
It is, im gonna talk to my DM about it, otherwise im gonna use a Shortspear.

TheMooch
2014-04-06, 03:29 PM
I would suggest just going crusader 10/deepstone sentinal 5/ crusader 5. Theres nothing like making a wall of diffucult terrain and rock pillars to block people from getting by.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 03:50 PM
While im sure it works wonderfully, personally, i dont like the Crusader, thus the Fighter/Knight combo, also i was going to avoid ToB so as not to intimidate the new guys with to many new things at once. Im fine with stuff from the book, i was just gonna avoid the Classes.

Draconi Redfir
2014-04-06, 03:54 PM
if you're going to be sheild dwarves, Sheilded Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/shielded-fighter) might come in handy. i made a level twelve/thirteen ish dwarch with an AC of thirty three thanks to this thing.

Ksheep
2014-04-06, 04:03 PM
I thought that too, but i read its entry and it says that it cant be used as a Double Weapon when wielded in one hand, so it seems like it can do both.

That's not what it means when it says. The text says:

A dwarven urgrosh is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon (see Two-Weapon Fighting).

What this means is that it's a two handed weapon, and you can attack with one side of it as a two-handed weapon (you'll get 1.5x Strength to damage). Alternatively, you can use it to two-weapon fight, using either end as it's own weapon, and that the two sides count as a one-handed and a light weapon with regards to the penalties to hit (as listed in the rules for Two-Weapon Fighting). It can NOT be used as a one-handed weapon.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 04:15 PM
Heres the text that i was talking about;

"A creature wielding a dwarven urgrosh in one hand can’t
use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used
in any given round."

as per the pHB

Ksheep
2014-04-06, 04:38 PM
Found a clarification for that, in PHB pg 113.

A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand (such as a human wielding a Small two-bladed sword) can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Apparently that clause is dealing with the ability to use a weapon of a different size category, changing the handedness (Medium creature wielding a Small-sized Two-handed weapon as a Tne-handed weapon, or a Medium creature wielding a Large-sized One-handed weapon as a Two-handed weapon).

So yes, you can use a Dwarven Urgosh one handed, but it has to be a Small-sized Dwarven Urgosh (and it will thus have a lower damage output).

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 04:38 PM
Ah, well glad thats cleared up

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-06, 06:28 PM
If you have access to the Player's Guide to Faerun, there is a feat in the book called Thunder Twin. Basically, it gives you a link with your partner, which seems like what you are going for here. It's required to be taken at first level, but I think you could smooth-talk your DM into letting you take it.