PDA

View Full Version : Bull Rush!

Melange
2007-02-05, 12:54 PM
So Bull Rush is supposed to knock back the opponent 5ft + difference between strength rolls. We can assume that was an improved bull rush since no AoO, so Assuming Roy rolled a 20, and Miko a 1, that was at least a 25-30 foot launch for Roy. Well played, good fighter... well played...

Wyborn
2007-02-05, 12:55 PM
I assumed it a bit larger - the throne room is huge and he knocked her across the entire length into a parallel wall.

Melange
2007-02-05, 12:57 PM
Good point... though I must wonder at the mechanics then. Bull Rush isn't supposed to be TOO massive in distance.

Glyde
2007-02-05, 12:58 PM
Probably in-housed feat "Badass plot device" Which has been used god knows how many times in the OotS campaign.

Dalenthas
2007-02-05, 01:00 PM
30 feet is a fairly large distance as far as rooms go. Plus there's no evidence as to which wall Miko hit. She didn't go past the throne (as far as we can see), and there's only circumstantial evidence to suggest she got knocked away from the door, which also only has circumstantial evidence of being on the opposite side of the room from the throne. I'd believe 30 feet would be enough for her to hit the opposite wall.

chibibar
2007-02-05, 01:02 PM
I never find it old to use "ol batter up" manuver. There was a fighting game where a baseball player is a combatant (god I wish I remember the name of the game) it always give me a giggle when he does the "batter up" manuver which he swings and cause the player to fly into the air.

FujinAkari
2007-02-05, 01:03 PM
It wasn't a bullrush, it was a baseball bat attack! ^_^

Which actually raises an interesting question, was that lethal or nonlethal damage? Was Roy using the flat of his blade? Its very difficult to really say, as hitting Miko's armor with the blade would produce the same effect...

Wyborn
2007-02-05, 01:03 PM
Unlikely to the highest degree. Given that Miko and Hinjo were fighting with Hinjo's back to the door, and Miko was actually driving Hinjo back the entire time, this would sugegst that they were near the door. Now, as the throne is in the center of the room (assumedly) it does not figure into this equation: if they were near the door and Roy hit Miko into a parallel wall, by nature he would have to hit her into the wall opposite the door, all the way across the room. Otherwise she would have bounced off at an angle instead of straight down because she owuldn't have hit dead on.

Lycanthromancer
2007-02-05, 01:07 PM
It was a Critical Thwack.

FujinAkari
2007-02-05, 01:16 PM
Unlikely to the highest degree. Given that Miko and Hinjo were fighting with Hinjo's back to the door, and Miko was actually driving Hinjo back the entire time, this would sugegst that they were near the door. Now, as the throne is in the center of the room (assumedly) it does not figure into this equation: if they were near the door and Roy hit Miko into a parallel wall, by nature he would have to hit her into the wall opposite the door, all the way across the room. Otherwise she would have bounced off at an angle instead of straight down because she owuldn't have hit dead on.

Obviously, Miko and Hinjo are circling one another during the fight, seeing as Roy ended up standing -behind- Hinjo , it is likely he knocked Miko into the wall with the door, rather than away from it. Roy was near the throne, originally, after all.

Melange
2007-02-05, 01:21 PM
It wasn't a bullrush, it was a baseball bat attack! ^_^

I don't think this is Super Smash Bros.

Wyborn
2007-02-05, 01:53 PM
Obviously, Miko and Hinjo are circling one another during the fight, seeing as Roy ended up standing -behind- Hinjo , it is likely he knocked Miko into the wall with the door, rather than away from it. Roy was near the throne, originally, after all.

Good point, I was afraid someone would bring that up. However, it's still not full-proof:

Namely in that Miko and Hinjo never had an opportunity to circle each other, insofar as they were never drawn moving around in a way that would allow them to do so. The only lateral movement illustrated in the entirety of 409 is when Miko leans out of the way of Hinjo's overhead strike, and even then she doesn't move her feet - illustrated by the fact that her boot is cut.

This means that the only real explanation is that Roy was, in fact, circling the whole time, pacing out of anxiety or impatience, and the time to act came when he was between Hinjo and the door, or else he moved behind Hinjo for the dramatic edge of striking over his wounded comrade and not hitting Miko in the back. Silly? Yes. Overwrought? Yes. Probably an author oversight? Yes.

But still the most likely outcome.

Edit: I will also point out that Belkar was beside Miko more or less immediately after she hit the ground, implying that Roy knocked her towards him, rather than away from him.

Melange
2007-02-05, 02:01 PM
But Roy was with Belkar that entire time, no? More likely, Belkar and Roy were at the door and the skirmish between Miko and Hinjo slowly moved further into the room as the two traded offenses. Finally, when they were in the middle of the room, Roy interceeded.

Wyborn
2007-02-05, 02:03 PM
That might work, except that we can plainly see Roy and Belkar walking away from the door when Hinjo tells them to stand down.

Melange
2007-02-05, 02:06 PM
Hmm... it's times like this I wish I could see a map...

Draz74
2007-02-05, 10:58 PM
I don't think this is Super Smash Bros.

But could it be Worms: Armageddon? :smalltongue:

Tawkis
2007-02-05, 11:39 PM
I never find it old to use "ol batter up" manuver. There was a fighting game where a baseball player is a combatant (god I wish I remember the name of the game) it always give me a giggle when he does the "batter up" manuver which he swings and cause the player to fly into the air.
The game was Rival Schools IIRC...

And when you did the baseball attack, the volleyball player actually spiked the opponent in mid air.

Setra
2007-02-06, 12:02 AM
But could it be Worms: Armageddon? :smalltongue:

Of course! It all makes sense now!

*pulls out a Holy Hand Grenade* Muahahahahaa

CrossP
2007-02-06, 03:20 AM
Roy hits Miko with the flat of his blade taking -4 to his attack roll to do X non-lethal damage.

Damage previously taken + X > Miko's max HP

Miko instantly becomes unconscious. The battle is instantly over and the game resumes its normal narration-style gameplay.

Unconscious bodies are unattended objects, so Roy's character is free to describe Roy as doing anything that the DM finds believable, so he carries through with his swing and sends her across the room.

Good game everybody. 1000 XP for all.