PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Class feature for a fighter fix [PEACH]

qwertyu63
2014-04-06, 03:04 PM
I am working on a fighter fix to bring the fighter up in the tiers. TO this goal, I have made a class feature to allow them to make their own magic weapons/armor. I would like to hear what others have to say about this feature.

Blood, Sweat and Tears (Ex):
A fighter doesn't need magic within their weapons; they can put it their themselves. Starting at level 5, all weapons and armor the fighter uses or equips begin earning Potential. Weapons and Armor gain Potential in two different ways:

Weapons gain Potential when they attack someone. Whenever a weapon being used by a fighter hits with an attack roll, the weapon gains 1 Potential. A confirmed critical hit gives 2 Potential instead.

Armor gains Potential when it stops an attack. Whenever a fighter wearing armor is missed by an attack, their armor gains 1 Potential.

By focusing on their equipment, a fighter of at least 5th level can awaken the potential within their equipment. Doing this takes 1 hour and costs Potential from the item and XP from the fighter as follows:

Normal to Masterwork: 15 Potential, 0 XP
Masterwork to +1: 15 Potential, 20 XP
+1 to +2: 30 Potential, 40 XP
+2 to +3: 45 Potential, 60 XP
+3 to +4: 60 Potential, 80 XP
+4 to +5: 75 Potential, 100 XP
Adding a +1 property: 15 Potential, 20 XP
Adding a +2 property: 30 Potential, 40 XP
Adding a +3 property: 60 Potential, 80 XP
Adding a +4 property: 105 Potential, 140 XP
Adding a +5 property: 165 Potential, 220 XP
Adding a property with a flat cost below 4,000 gp: 15 Potential, 20 XP
Adding a property with a flat cost between 4,001-16,000 gp: 30 Potential, 40 XP
Adding a property with a flat cost between 16,001-36,000 gp: 60 Potential, 80 XP
Adding a property with a flat cost between 36,001-50,000 gp: 105 Potential, 140 XP
Adding a property with a flat cost between 50,001-70,000 gp: 165 Potential, 220 XP

The fighter can also reverse this process by focusing on the item for 1 hour; this refunds the Potential but not the XP.

Chaos_Laicosin
2014-04-06, 04:59 PM
This system seems really OP. One Potential Point for armor on every failed attack against? Just go piss off an ally cat and get it to attack you. It will never be able to kill you if it does connect an attack, and when it doesn't that's just more Potential Points. Likewise, you could just attack an ally to get your weapon points up, making sure to never kill him/her. Or go CE and slaughter all the defenseless peasants.

The xp cost seem negligible. At level 5, getting an item to +5 would cost slightly more xp (300) than you would get in a single average encounter and would only take 5 hours of work .

Also, your point and xp increases don't follow the gold value increases for magic items. For a weapon, Normal to Masterwork is +300gp, Masterwork to +1 is an additional 1700gp, +1 to +2 is an additional 6000gp... So assuming 15 Potential points is equivalent to 300 gp (as you have given in normal to Masterwork), then:
Masterwork to +1 should be 85 PP
+1 to +2 should be 300 PP
+2 to +3 should be 500 PP
+3 to +4 should be 700 PP
+4 to +5 should be 900 PP
But magic armors are half the cost of magic weapons, so all the PP costs would be halved for armor.

I'd suggest you just modify the Weapon Master prestige class from NWN 2. Instead of Ki Damage/day, you could have something like weapon effect/day. Like have your chosen weapon imbued with +5 for 5 minutes, or imbued with +1 and flaming burst for 1 hour, or something like that... But include armor effects too I guess... Weapon and Armor Master......

qwertyu63
2014-04-06, 05:55 PM
This system seems really OP. One Potential Point for armor on every failed attack against? Just go piss off an ally cat and get it to attack you. It will never be able to kill you if it does connect an attack, and when it doesn't that's just more Potential Points. Likewise, you could just attack an ally to get your weapon points up, making sure to never kill him/her. Or go CE and slaughter all the defenseless peasants.

The numbers can be rebalanced with minimal issue. I'm mostly asking if the idea of "use a weapon a lot, the weapon grows with you" works.

The xp cost seem negligible. At level 5, getting an item to +5 would cost slightly more xp (300) than you would get in a single average encounter and would only take 5 hours of work.

Eh, the XP costs are mostly nominal anyway.

Also, your point and xp increases don't follow the gold value increases for magic items. For a weapon, Normal to Masterwork is +300gp, Masterwork to +1 is an additional 1700gp, +1 to +2 is an additional 6000gp... So assuming 15 Potential points is equivalent to 300 gp (as you have given in normal to Masterwork), then:
Masterwork to +1 should be 85 PP
+1 to +2 should be 300 PP
+2 to +3 should be 500 PP
+3 to +4 should be 700 PP
+4 to +5 should be 900 PP

So, the numbers need reworked? Alright. I'll work on that.

But magic armors are half the cost of magic weapons, so all the PP costs would be halved for armor.

I always hated that rule, never made sense to me... wait, I'm engaging in a major overhaul of the rules anyway; I may just have to change that rule. That said, if I don't I'll account for that.

I'd suggest you just modify the Weapon Master prestige class from NWN 2. Instead of Ki Damage/day, you could have something like weapon effect/day. Like have your chosen weapon imbued with +5 for 5 minutes, or imbued with +1 and flaming burst for 1 hour, or something like that... But include armor effects too I guess... Weapon and Armor Master......

Yeah... no. That would defeat the entire point of the feature.

Amnoriath
2014-04-06, 08:08 PM
Aside from the potential to get really good armor and weapons far more quickly than anyone intends I truly don't see this as a fighter fix. You have how many straight up physical classes that uses weapons just as much as a fighter? While I do believe the fighter is conceptually flawed I do believe the class is a lot more about technique and generality than I get an awesome weapon faster than anyone else.

qwertyu63
2014-04-06, 08:30 PM
Aside from the potential to get really good armor and weapons far more quickly than anyone intends I truly don't see this as a fighter fix. You have how many straight up physical classes that uses weapons just as much as a fighter? While I do believe the fighter is conceptually flawed I do believe the class is a lot more about technique and generality than I get an awesome weapon faster than anyone else.

This feature is not the entire fix; this is but one part of a greater whole. The rest of it just doesn't exist yet (I still need to write that). The point here is that the fighter can make their own magic weapons and armor without needing a caster. With that in mind, here is a more straightforward method that came to mind...

Blood, Sweat and Tears (Ex):
A fighter doesn't need magic within their weapons; they can put it their themselves. Starting at level 5, the fighter gets Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat. They can use this feat to craft magic weapons and armor as a caster of their fighter level. They can ignore any spell required, so long as their fighter level is at least double the level of the spell -1 (so ignoring a level 5 spell requires fighter 9).

toapat
2014-04-06, 08:43 PM
I always hated that rule, never made sense to me... wait, I'm engaging in a major overhaul of the rules anyway; I may just have to change that rule. That said, if I don't I'll account for that.

a normal humanoid has 11 itemslots and 2 weapon slots. Head, Neck, Shoulder/Vambrace, Bracer+gloves, chest, 2 rings, belt, Boots, goggles, and cloak. Pants in universe apparently cant hold magical power

WotC assumed you would invest in about half as many weapons as equipment, so its balanced against that. The problem is classes like Wizard/Cleric who dont need weapons to be awesome.

Amnoriath
2014-04-06, 09:18 PM
This feature is not the entire fix; this is but one part of a greater whole. The rest of it just doesn't exist yet (I still need to write that). The point here is that the fighter can make their own magic weapons and armor without needing a caster. With that in mind, here is a more straightforward method that came to mind...

And my point is others who use weapons just as much as the fighter shouldn't be excluded either.

qwertyu63
2014-04-06, 09:40 PM
And my point is others who use weapons just as much as the fighter shouldn't be excluded either.

And I'll deal with them later. One step at a time. I've only got my sights on the fighter right now.

Durazno
2014-04-07, 05:30 AM
You should probably add a caveat that attacking and avoiding damage can only grant you potential if you're in a "real fight." I'm not sure exactly how to phrase it, but it should discount training, exhibition matches and the neighbor's cat trying to kill you. Basically, any way that you could rack up huge numbers without being in danger, you know?

Also, I'd recommend that the weapon or armor only have that property as long as the fighter is the one wielding/wearing it. S/he can't craft for the rest of the party.

qwertyu63
2014-04-07, 07:43 AM
You should probably add a caveat that attacking and avoiding damage can only grant you potential if you're in a "real fight." I'm not sure exactly how to phrase it, but it should discount training, exhibition matches and the neighbor's cat trying to kill you. Basically, any way that you could rack up huge numbers without being in danger, you know?

And issues like that are why I whipped up another version 5 posts ago.

Also, I'd recommend that the weapon or armor only have that property as long as the fighter is the one wielding/wearing it. S/he can't craft for the rest of the party.

Eh, that's neither here nor there. I'm personally okay with letting them make other peoples stuff, if they wish.