PDA

View Full Version : Do temp Ability Changes affect feats?

plaugebearer
2014-04-06, 03:16 PM
So an example of what I am wanting to ask: A Maenad fighter has the feat Combat Expertise which has a Prerequisite of 13 Int which is exactly what he has. When the fighter uses his Maenad ability to Outburst he gains +2 Str but loses 2 for Int and Wis. So while this is active does he lose access to the Combat Expertise. And therefore also affecting the rest of that feat tree like Whirlwind Attack for example.

nyjastul69
2014-04-06, 03:19 PM
So an example of what I am wanting to ask: A Maenad fighter has the feat Combat Expertise which has a Prerequisite of 13 Int which is exactly what he has. When the fighter uses his Maenad ability to Outburst he gains +2 Str but loses 2 for Int and Wis. So while this is active does he lose access to the Combat Expertise. And therefore also affecting the rest of that feat tree like Whirlwind Attack for example.

You are correct. He loses access to CE and everything that has it as a prerequisite.

Pangaea
2014-04-06, 03:20 PM
From the SRD:

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#prerequisites

So if you lost the minimum Int score, you can't use combat expertise (but you still have the feat).

I think you would lose Whirlwind attack, but only because it has a Int 13 prereq, not because you can't use Combat Expertise.

EDIT: Swordsage'd

HunterOfJello
2014-04-06, 03:34 PM
He would lose it for that time. (I don't think regaining access to a feat is ever covered explicitly, but it should occur once his int gets back up high enough.)

He should definitely grab an item with +2 Intelligence on it as soon as he can if he wants to do things requiring intelligence while pseudo-raging.