PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Best PrC/class for my build

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-06, 03:16 PM
Any suggestions for classes or PrCs to take me from 13-20?

Cannith Wand build

Artificer 6/ Cannith Wand Adept 3/ Arcane Trickster 3
(Request to swap magic arms and armor for wands from lvls 5 and 7 arti)

Lvl 9 CL for wands +7
Lvl 12 CL for wands +9

1) TWF
H) least dragonmark of making
3) chain
4B) maximize
5 flaw) reckless wand wielder
5 flaw) double wand wielder
6) heighten spell
8) empower
9) wand mastery

Should I simply return to artificer after Cannith Wand Adept, or are the 3 levels worth the +2 CL on wands and extra skill points?

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-06, 04:14 PM
Forgot to mention I'm human

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-06, 04:44 PM
You kind of need more artificer to keep up your CL for item creation. As it is you have CL 8 for meeting prerequisites so you're limited to 4th level spells.
That's all you need for wands but you might want to create other items and scrolls of utility spells.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-06, 04:47 PM
You kind of need more artificer to keep up your CL for item creation. As it is you have CL 8 for meeting prerequisites so you're limited to 4th level spells.
That's all you need for wands but you might want to create other items and scrolls of utility spells.

Can you name some crucial/useful scrolls of 5th lvl spells or higher?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-06, 04:58 PM
Heal, Raise Dead, Scrying, Plane Shift, Teleport, True Seeing, Wall of Stone, Ethereal Jaunt, Control Winds, Death Ward, Body outside Body, Contingency, Simulacrum, Mind Rape, Ice Assassin, to name a few of the top of my head.
Artificers get access to all spell lists. There's very very few PrCs that can top that since there are no PrCs that advance artificer crafting afaik. Giving up a few levels is okay but you'll want at least Artificer 15 to get access to 9th level spells. 16 gets you another bonus feat so there isn't much reason not to take it.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-06, 05:04 PM
Heal, Raise Dead, Scrying, Plane Shift, Teleport, True Seeing, Wall of Stone, Ethereal Jaunt, Control Winds, Death Ward, Body outside Body, Contingency, Simulacrum, Mind Rape, Ice Assassin, to name a few of the top of my head.
Artificers get access to all spell lists. There's very very few PrCs that can top that since there are no PrCs that advance artificer crafting afaik. Giving up a few levels is okay but you'll want at least Artificer 15 to get access to 9th level spells. 16 gets you another bonus feat so there isn't much reason not to take it.

That's compelling. What do you think about ditching the uncanny trickster? Just sticking arti/CWA and maybe dipping 1 lvl of another class?

Thealtruistorc
2014-04-06, 06:15 PM
Try Renegade Mastermaker from Magic of Eberron. It's a fun, flavorful artificer PrC that should be the first thing you reach for when making such a character

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-07, 01:38 AM
That's compelling. What do you think about ditching the uncanny trickster? Just sticking arti/CWA and maybe dipping 1 lvl of another class?

You mentioned in the other thread that you want to use Scorching Ray as your main attack, so you want to get a CL of 11 for 2nd level wands.
Artificer 15/Cannith Wand Adept 3/Magical Trickster 2 would give you that with Reckless Wand Wielder & Wand Mastery while still giving you access to 9th level spells (though late).

Alternatively you could look into getting a bloodline or just ditch magical trickster and spend a little more gold to increase the CL by 1 or use another spell.
It shouldn't be too much more expensive if you ditch Maximize Spell for Extraordinary Artisan and get Twin Spell instead of Empower to keep your damage up.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-07, 04:09 AM
I'm not saying to gimp your artificer abilities, but if you take a 4 level dip into warlock you get deceive item for UMD.

If your DM likes using epic skill check rules, its a great way to avoid a 1 and blowing up an expensive wand.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-07, 05:09 AM
I'm not saying to gimp your artificer abilities, but if you take a 4 level dip into warlock you get deceive item for UMD.

If your DM likes using epic skill check rules, its a great way to avoid a 1 and blowing up an expensive wand.

Artificers already get Skill Mastery for UMD at 13.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-07, 07:50 AM
You mentioned in the other thread that you want to use Scorching Ray as your main attack, so you want to get a CL of 11 for 2nd level wands.
Artificer 15/Cannith Wand Adept 3/Magical Trickster 2 would give you that with Reckless Wand Wielder & Wand Mastery while still giving you access to 9th level spells (though late).

Alternatively you could look into getting a bloodline or just ditch magical trickster and spend a little more gold to increase the CL by 1 or use another spell.
It shouldn't be too much more expensive if you ditch Maximize Spell for Extraordinary Artisan and get Twin Spell instead of Empower to keep your damage up.

Thanks for the input. I was brainstorming last night and came to this:

Feats
1) extend spell +1
HB) chain spell +3
3) maximize spell +3
4) repeat spell +3
6) persist spell +6
7 Flaw) twinned spell +4
Flaw) reckless wand wielder
8)energy substitution [acid] +0
9) wand mastery

That way I wouldn't feel like I was wasting feats with TWF or Favored in House. Like you said, twinned does a lot to damage output. Effectively replacing dual wands. I still get +4 CL and I don't lose any crafting XP or delay ring/rod/staff feats.

And I can chain persistant haste for the party.