PDA

View Full Version : WW1 rpg

Blackhawk748
2014-04-06, 03:54 PM
Im looking for a good system to play a WW1 rpg, id prefer d20, as it is my favored system but im not against using something else. Thanks in advance.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-06, 11:16 PM
I think there's a Savage Worlds setting for that? You'd have to strip out some supernatural stuff, but Savage Worlds is generally pretty good.

Zavoniki
2014-04-07, 02:20 AM
D20 Modern can probably run WW1 fine.

There's also D20 Cthulu which should be aimed at the 1920's, so I can't imagine it being all too difficult to run WW1 from that.

Any generic system(FATE, Cortex, GURPS, etc...) can obviously run it.

Any Supers system should also be able to do it as they can function as generics after you strip out the Supers, so that adds Wild Talents, Mutants and Masterminds, HERO system, Marvel Superheroic Roleplaying, etc...

Call of Cthulu and Trail of Cthulu should also be able to it for reasons similar to D20 Cthulu.

There's probably a GUMSHOE game that IS WW1 based and if not, its a Generic so see above.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-04-07, 10:49 AM
I was going to suggest Call of Cthulu as well, simply as it's set around that era. There was also a Victorian-era expansion in the early editions (Cthulu by Gaslight).

Are you going for the war itself (the other advantage of CoC is, if anything's going to need SAN rolls and results, it's The Trenches), or simply want to game in the time period?

But, depending on how much work you wanted to do, you could potentially retrofit anything in - I remember an old-WD with a CoC/AD&D adventure where there were two parties that swapped realms (and was designed to be played with the players either in one or the other system, or both), so you had fantasy creatures and equipment with CoC stats and Edwardian-era/Lovecraftian stuff with AD&D stats.

neonchameleon
2014-04-07, 11:11 AM
Im looking for a good system to play a WW1 rpg, id prefer d20, as it is my favored system but im not against using something else. Thanks in advance.

What part of WW1 do you want to play? Trench PBI? Mata Hari? Inept generals? (I think d20 Modern could cope?)

Rhynn
2014-04-07, 11:26 AM
BRP (Basic Roleplaying, the same RuneQuest-derived 3-18/d100 core that Call of Cthulhu uses) is a solid choice, but I've actually considered modding a setting for Twilight 2013 (2000 would work, too). All the rules are there, just use bolt-action rifles, etc. Character creation would require some changes, but it's broad enough that the basics would work; you'd just drop skills related to computers, etc.

Of course, TW2013 is for people who want gritty, nasty, deadly, detailed (but not clunky) combat etc., so it's not for everyone.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-07, 05:13 PM
Well i plan on having them in The Trenches so CoC is definitely a consideration, i do seem to recall d20 Modern having something for the Pulp Fiction Era so that may work with a bit of messing around, Savage Worlds may work ill need to look into it as im not familiar with the system. Oh and thanks for all the input guys.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-08, 09:52 AM
There's probably a GUMSHOE game that IS WW1 based and if not, its a Generic so see above.
Trail of Cthulhu is pretty much the closest you get.

I would heavily advise you to think about what the campaign will cover. That'll impact the systems that'll work well with your premise. (Some will actively work against the game you're trying to run, in fact.) You could go a lot of directions here.

I mean, really--I'd even see a case being made for Dread: you don't need the horror element, because Dread works just fine for a game where characters are under constant pressure. So it'd be a fantastic "in the trenches" game.