PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Leadership Fixing

Dante Leos
2014-04-06, 07:52 PM
There might be a thread like this, but I see that many people have a problem on here with the leadership feat, as such I was wanting to have a discussion on how to go about fixing it. I will first state my fixes, and if anyone has comments or new fixes they should post them.

One way to fix the problem of leadership is to have only possibly one person able to have it in an adventuring party, if this is still a problem, it could possibly be limited that the cohort must be a class without spellcasting, or at least a low tier spellcasting class.

Another fix I thought up is this,
Dual Soul

For whatever reason you have two distinct people inside yourself, you may know of their existence or not.

Benefit: You under extreme circumstances may switch to your alternate form, this cause can be caused through being revived or from suriviving a near death experience. This second form is not caused through a mental disorder, but is an actual second soul bound next to yours, as such they have their own class levels, stats, and personality. Also when you switch they have the gear and equipment they had on them the last time you switched, or if this is the first time switching, gear appropriate to WBL. After switching you have the same number of hit points at the time of switching, or the maximum hit points of the alternate soul, whichever is lower.

Special: If you are a spellcasting class, you may not have an alternate soul with spellcasting abilities.

Hope this wasn't a stupid idea.

Dante Leos
2014-04-06, 10:46 PM
Anyone gonna reply to this? Or does everybody just agree with this as is?

Magikeeper
2014-04-07, 12:03 AM
One way to fix the problem of leadership is to have only possibly one person able to have it in an adventuring party

Definitely not this. The solution to an extremely powerful ability is not to restrict it to a single player. I've found leadership is less of an issue if everyone is taking it anyway; if everyone has an army it's just that sort of campaign.

Shared Soul is interesting, but it doesn't feel like a leadership fix. It's still very powerful and it fits a different RP niche.

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 12:36 AM
The easiest "fix" to Leadership is for the DM to decide what sort of people decide they want to follow you around for free. Beggars can't be choosers. Yeah, you may want a squad entirely of low-level warlocks for whatever reason, but maybe the people who want to follow you are a mix of fighters, rogues, and scouts. You can turn them away if you wish, but they won't be replaced with warlocks.

Coidzor
2014-04-07, 02:01 AM
Definitely not this. The solution to an extremely powerful ability is not to restrict it to a single player. I've found leadership is less of an issue if everyone is taking it anyway; if everyone has an army it's just that sort of campaign.

Shared Soul is interesting, but it doesn't feel like a leadership fix. It's still very powerful and it fits a different RP niche.

Especially if the control of the cohorts are given to players of other PCs for a better inter-character dynamic.

Agreed. Might work as a sort of fix to the mess that is the Dvati for certain purposes.

I tend to favor making entourages and organizations rules that the DM can optionally allow as an alternative to Leadership as printed, so that followers aren't dependent upon taking a feat for their existence but firmly in optional rules that everyone can make an investment in without spending something as precious as a feat and with the expectations of value for that feat. And also having a greater number(say, 2-4) of lower leveled(say, ECL- 3 to 4) cohort-equivalents, possibly with a couple of non-class/racial/bonus HD to round out their durability/vulnerability to HD based effects so they can make a solid contribution but not really shine and certainly not outshine anyone. I'm still hashing out and ruminating on my views though, as I know they're nowhere near finished or polished.