PDA

View Full Version : Catching and Using Souls?

Gwazi Magnum
2014-04-06, 08:42 PM
Basically, what ways in D&D do you know of that allows for the capture, storage and/or immediate use of someones soul?

Also, what ways can a character use souls?
This could be in any way, enchanting, pacts etc.

LTwerewolf
2014-04-06, 09:43 PM
I don't know of many other rules outside of Vile Darkness using souls as spell components.

holywhippet
2014-04-06, 09:46 PM
Might not be what you are looking for, but the magic jar spell lets you hijack peoples bodies by putting their soul in the jar and your soul in their body. It is only temporary though.

There is also the trap the soul spell which imprisons the soul and body into a gem. Again it really is just a prison and not saving the soul for later use.

Rubik
2014-04-06, 10:30 PM
A weapon made from thinaun (Complete Warrior) auto-traps the soul of the last creature that died when the weapon touched it (whether the weapon technically killed it or not). Souls can be used as spell components in lieu of a small amount of crafting or casting XP, or given to fiends for currency or food.

I intended to use a thinaun needle-ring on a monk build so he could kill Zargon and prevent him from regenerating. So long as the soul was in the ring, even if Zargon came back, he'd be a soulless husk. But I planned on hiring a spellcaster to cast a Consecrated spell using his soul as a spell component (which would then have both a Good and Evil descriptor, making it a Neutral act). Then he wouldn't threaten the destruction of the Material Plane ever again. (Hey, it's not like a monk has any other way to kill something that regenerates from death.)

Captnq
2014-04-06, 10:30 PM
Make it into a hat. Or a brooch. Or a pterodactyl.