PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Stupid Question

Foeofthelance
2007-02-05, 02:32 PM
Is there any way, in two feats or less, to get 8 ranks in Ride at Level 1? Not just the +8 bonus, even I could come up with something for that, but an actual eight ranks. Two feats allowed through use of Flaws from UA. The goal is to qualify for the Draconic Mount Feat (Reqs Cha 13, Ride 8, Speak: Draconic) at level 1.

Just cause I had an idea, and want to follow through on it.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-05, 02:35 PM
Considering your max ranks is ECL +3, the earliest is 5. So, no.

Bryn
2007-02-05, 02:36 PM
I lack the more obscure sourcebooks, but AFAIK there as absolutely no way to get more than 4 ranks at level 1. Not to mention that a first level character riding a dragon is just silly (5th level seems to be pushing it to me). However, I haven't read the feat, so perhaps its not that bad.

Edit: Simu-ninjaed!

Foeofthelance
2007-02-05, 02:40 PM
Ok, just curious. I will freely admit to being outclassed when it comes to finding ways for these things.

Z-Axis, it doesn't allow you a dragon as a mount, it grants a Dragonnel (A CR 4 Dragonblood creature, looks a bit like a gazelle with wings), though I was going to try for a Drakkensteed, which was CR 3. So not really all that bad if you have to wait till level 6 to get it.

Thomas
2007-02-05, 02:45 PM
But definitely way too good at first level. Far, far worse than the druid's animal companion (which is pretty bad in itself at low levels).

Ikkitosen
2007-02-05, 02:55 PM
AFAIK Max. Ranks = CL + 3 is an inviolable rule - one of the few guaranteed ways to set a level-based pre-req.

There are ways to get around LOTS of other potential "limits".

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-05, 03:41 PM
Ok, just curious. I will freely admit to being outclassed when it comes to finding ways for these things.

Z-Axis, it doesn't allow you a dragon as a mount, it grants a Dragonnel (A CR 4 Dragonblood creature, looks a bit like a gazelle with wings), though I was going to try for a Drakkensteed, which was CR 3. So not really all that bad if you have to wait till level 6 to get it.

As far as I know the draconic mounts are limited by you HD so even if you could get the feat you wouldn't be able to actually get a mount. You also don't get a mount until a higher Paladin level anyway.

There's nothing that actually stops you from buying a dragon and riding it if you have the cash though. Which you won't.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-05, 03:44 PM
Heh. I can imagine the explanation to the DM.

DM: So, what's your character's backstory.
PC: Uh...I'm a millionaire.

tarbrush
2007-02-05, 04:34 PM
AFAIK Max. Ranks = CL + 3 is an inviolable rule - one of the few guaranteed ways to set a level-based pre-req.

There are ways to get around LOTS of other potential "limits".

Apparently there's a feat in cityscape that gives you +1 rank in a skill above your normal maximum (so 5 ranks at 1st)

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it's the only reason to own the book :(

Ikkitosen
2007-02-05, 05:11 PM
And not a good reason if you ask me. I don't know many DMs that would allow that feat, just for the early PrC entries.