PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DM] - Tips for first time Pathfinder adventure with 100% Pathfinder rules?

killem2
2014-04-07, 08:43 AM
I've been DMing 3.5 solid with my group of 5-8 people for over 2 years now.

I'm going to try the all evil campaign "Way of the Wicked", and I've never strictly ran pathfinder before. I've let people take things from pathfinder and bring it over but that is it. Are there any pitfalls I should be mindful of in terms running a Pathfinder game?

Ason
2014-04-07, 09:39 AM
In terms of simply transitioning from 3.5 to Pathfinder, I would recommend one of the guides floating around this forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136890-The-3-5-Pathfinder-Handbook&p=7609693). The two systems are pretty much the same, but Pathfinder simplifies mechanics and class features here-and-there, so it's good to know what areas to be re-learned and what is still the same.

Something the linked guide forgets to mention is favored class/multi-classing in Pathfinder. There are no multiclass penalties but instead just really tasty abilities for continuing in your base class (i.e. incentives rather than punishments). Every PC of any race upon character creation picks a favored class as well, and when you gain a level in your favored class, you gain an extra hit point, an extra skill point or some race/class-specific bonus. The guide also does not discuss the Pathfinder-specific base classes like Cavalier, Alchemist, Witch, Inquisitor or Summoner, but the new classes are generally nothing too crazy, with one or two exceptions.

As far as Way of the Wicked goes, I can't tell you much save that it seems like a really fun module.

killem2
2014-04-07, 11:17 AM
Very awesome guide that is perfect!