PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Social Encounter (Party)

Nando
2014-04-07, 10:12 AM
Hi folks!

I'm currently DMing a 3.5 group and would like to get some advice on a social encounter.

It's going to take place in a dwarven city. The dwarfs are kind of xenophobic, but there is a small group (young aristocrats etc.) among them, that is interested and fascinated by foreign people/creatures. This group is going to have a party, and two or more PCs are going to attend it.

The PCs that definitely will be there are
a Satyr bard (with out racial HDs) of fourth lvl and
a human Favoured Soul 1 / Fighter 5 (with wings (currently not usable to fly) from character background.
Probably there will also be a human rouge lvl 6.

Goal for the group is to get an advocate (interceder?) who vouches for them, to get further access into the city.

I'd like to have (at least) the bard to perform some tasks etc. - got any ideas, and/or advices on difficulty etc.?

P.S.: First post, be gentle with mistakes :|

Trasilor
2014-04-07, 02:45 PM
Some ideas....
Use Gather Information to find out exactly who you need to impress upon and what that Dwarf needs in return.

Knowledge Nobility to know what social faux pas you should avoid when talking to these Dwarfs (especially the one you need to vouch for you).

Employ Diplomacy when attempting to get these Dwarfs from indifferent to friendly.

Use Bluff sparingly if you are trying to help or seeking help from the Dwarfs. Otherwise use Bluff liberally if you ultimately plan on turning on the Dwarfs (or don't care if they turn on you).

Obviously use sense motive to see when people are lying to you.

Note, just because you are the "face" of the group doesn't mean must do it all alone. Have the other party members function as your wing-man. Have them team up and use the Aid Another skill to help each other determine who is lying (sense motive) or find out the dwarf you need (gather information) etc.

To get someone to "vouch" for you you need some sort of reputation. Xenophobic cultures will be difficult to infiltrate because they do not concern themselves with the outside world or your exploits. Find out if any of these Dwarfs have heard of your group (or their exploits) beyond their hold. If not, this is a perfect opportunity for your bard to regale them with your groups fantastical endeavors.

In the end, you should be looking to do something in return for them to vouch for you. Of course if they agree to vouch for you without you doing anything to earn it - it may be a trap.

When you actually play this encounter, I encourage you to go all in - eliminate any OOC talk. Pass notes to the DM when you need to make a roll. As a DM I always allow my players to roleplay a little first before require the requisite skill roll to see if their roleplaying will give them a boost.

Of course, if you botch a roll - play it out. :smallamused: that is part of the fun.

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 07:44 PM
Another PC wasted on the famous cosmetic class. Red cheeks don't help against red dragons.:smallbiggrin:

In all seriousness, I would do some research, through IC library work and through various knowledge skills, into dwarven customs, values, and taboos.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-04-07, 09:29 PM
I have nothing to provide, as the only social encounters I'm good at are things involving politics and threats, but I want to point out to the other two posters: OP is DM, and your advice is misplaced.

delenn
2014-04-07, 09:43 PM
If the PCs have defeated someone/a group who are enemies of the city (the kobolds the party fought awhile back? Turns out they were sabotaging the dwarven mines!) a gather info check might reveal that to them, and the bard could make it a point to sing of that encounter.

One or more of the young aristocrats could be particularly interested in learning more about the world outside the city. They might vouch for the group if the PCs:
-promise to take them on an 'adventure' (something simple and not actually dangerous, but oh no! what if it goes wrong, and now the PCs are in charge of protecting a young noble, lest they lose their diplomatic status in the city?)
-offer them trinkets the PCs have picked up from places the dwarves have never been. They don't have to be valuable, as long as they're suitably exotic or hard to find in the city. Food or drink, foreign currency, clothing or jewelry in a style they've never seen before.

Nando
2014-04-08, 05:02 AM
1. Yes, I'm DM, so avices on how to act as a player aren't what I was looking for - still helpful, as I got some ideas what my players might wantto try ;)
2. Thanks delenn - hadn't thougt of giving trinkets etc. away, to show off.

I'll check back with my co-DM and see, what he thinks.
Still open for more ideas, though.