PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spellthief + Scribe Scroll?

LentilNinja
2014-04-07, 10:12 AM
Could a spellthief be able to make a spell he stole into a scroll?

atemu1234
2014-04-07, 10:26 AM
No. He's not even an arcane spellcaster, he doesn't have a caster level, so he can't learn the scribe scroll feat. Even then, he can still sell the spell he found. Unless I'm mistaken, it's 100 gp per spell level.

LentilNinja
2014-04-07, 10:29 AM
No. He's not even an arcane spellcaster, he doesn't have a caster level, so he can't learn the scribe scroll feat.
If I multiclassed into Wizard, what about then?

Even then, he can still sell the spell he found. Unless I'm mistaken, it's 100 gp per spell level.
He can sell the spell he just stole? To who, or how? :S

Terazul
2014-04-07, 10:35 AM
No. He's not even an arcane spellcaster, he doesn't have a caster level, so he can't learn the scribe scroll feat. Even then, he can still sell the spell he found. Unless I'm mistaken, it's 100 gp per spell level.

:smallconfused:

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a spellthief gains the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells, which are drawn from a subset of the sorcerer/wizard spell list (see below). He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, just as a sorcerer can (see page 54 of the Player's Handbook).
Uhh.

At 4th level and higher, a spellthief's caster level for spells is one-half his spellthief level.

Seems pretty clear that he does. He could pick up scribe scroll after 4th (since now he has a caster level). That being said, no, you couldn't use the spells you stole for crafting:

A spellthief must cast a stolen spell (or use its energy to cast one of his own spells) within 1 hour of stealing it; otherwise, the extra spell energy fades harmlessly away.
So even though you are an arcane spellcaster and you could pick up scribe scroll, you wouldn't be able to make scrolls/other items of spells you stole since you wouldn't have the spell long enough to craft the item.

atemu1234
2014-04-07, 10:36 AM
If you multiclassed to wizard, you'd get the feat and the ability to use scrolls, but to be able to scribe a scroll the spell has to be within your ability to cast.

LentilNinja
2014-04-07, 10:37 AM
So even though you are an arcane spellcaster and you could pick up scribe scroll, you wouldn't be able to make scrolls/other items of spells you stole since you wouldn't have the spell long enough to craft the item.

Damn, that sucks. Oh well.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-07, 10:45 AM
Well, Scribe Scroll states;
"The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard)"
and
"Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp of the base price. "

But, magic item creation also states that;
"(Requirements)they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). "

Arcane Writing states;
"To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell."

I would tend to say no, you can't because you can only retain a stolen spell for 1 hour and from the Arcane Writing description I would rule that you'd have to have the spell in mind for the full duration of the item creation. I'd assume you couldn't record a spell without knowing the spell while you're recording it. I could be wrong though as this is DnD and strange things happen in DnD...

The (Requirements) entry may hold the loop hole you're looking for though.

Also, as a DM, I'd prolly be OK creating a feat to retain a spell specifically for scribing it if the Spellthief really wanted to go that route. It wouldn't be game braking.

Blood~