PDA

View Full Version : The Turn of the Wheel

TheAegis
2014-04-07, 11:11 AM
Prologue: Stormclouds

http://i.imgur.com/TxUNWBB.jpg

Soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4)
I know that we shall meet all meet our fate somewhere below the billowing clouds. Be it in fire, blood and glory, or rotting in a purulent hole, cringing like a coward, there is no escape from this storm. We can only hope to die before it sweeps away our very souls.
- The Voice, moments before collapsing dead

OCC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338934-The-Turn-of-the-Wheel-OOC)

The New Haven Road, 1371 AFT

A cold chilling wind sweeps down the dirt and cobble road, buffeting five weary travelers, and cutting through any foolish enough not to be bundled up like the sword of Father Winter. Above the traveler's head the sky is laden with clouds, rolling mountains that hint at an incoming deluge. Given how cold it is and the proximity to the mountains, snow isn't entirely out of the question. Among the clouds and buffeting winds a single hawk fights against the weather, futilely struggling to fly against the wind, being constantly rebuffed.

The travels plod along the ancient road, a road older than some of these hills, and towards the walls of the town that had been taunting them for the last half a day, ever since they parted from the trade caravan headed from Berytos to Stormhaven, appearing every time the road crested a hill, or, given the road's tortuous winding nature, they walked around one. Companions by necessity, not by choice, they had been warned upon departing the caravan by the grizzled veteran that commanded the guards that "Only fools travel the New Haven Road alone, and fools are prone to being robbed by goblins, or worse.". Thus the five wearily plodded to the large wooden door that allowed entrance to Stonebriar, the climb up the last hill had been particularly grueling, as the wind buffeted down it with an unexpected ferocity.

At the gates however, an unpleasant surprise awaited them, rather than the open, inviting gates of traditional towns, which kept the gates open during the day, the aged wooden doors lay barred, two guards standing before them, both clad in chain hauberks, clutching spears. The party's arrival seems to have unnerved the two men however, as they lower their spears towards the travelers, with the first, a tall man, who's face bears the signs of having survived the pox, speaking, his voice a mix of hostility and nervousness "Turn back travelers! This town is Plagued, and by order of Lord Sigismund, is closed off to entry and exit, on pain of death", the implied threat in the words falls flat as the man glances around nervously after finishing his say, his spear still leveled towards the travelers. The other man, much shorter and obviously younger, by the lack of facial hair, looks at the travelers with sheer terror in his eyes, as if expecting the party to suddenly open a portal to the Nine Hells, or perhaps rip them to shreds with a look.

As the man finishes speaking, the first drops of rainwater begin falling, splashing into the dirt of the road with the constant thudding of such weather...

OOC
Feel free to roll any knowledge checks or other checks you feel might be relevant. If you want to know more about Lord Sigismund, that's Knowledge Local (The Vale), or Knowledge Nobility and Royalty. To know more about the Plague is Knowledge Nature, Religion or History, or Heal.

I rolled sense motive and spot for people who have it already

Sarresh

Sense Motive These men are very bad liars. Also visibly nervous, and afraid for their lives.

Spot There are also three humanoid figures crouching in the tower at the far end of the wall, apparently watching, from this distance it's impossible to tell more about them, but their size suggests they aren't human.

Rick

Sense Motive: These men seem like they're completely forthright and are telling the truth.

Spot: You notice that the Hauberks these men are wearing are rather rusty and old, and that the spears look like they haven't been properly maintained.

Burr

Sense Motive: The nervousness seems quite ordinary for people near a plague infested town.

Spot: The walls here are really poorly maintained, it looks like the weather has taken its toll.

Morren

Sense Motive: These men are very bad liars. Also visibly nervous, and afraid for their lives.

Spot: The wood of the gates is very much newer than the rest of the wall, looks like its from the last 30 years or so.

Tenei

Sense Motive: The nervousness seems quite ordinary for people near a plague infested town

Spot: There are also three humanoid figures crouching in the tower at the far end of the wall, apparently watching, from this distance it's impossible to tell more about them.

PersonMan
2014-04-07, 02:54 PM
Tenei stands out among the travelers going down the ancient, desolate road for several reasons. The first is her almost total lack of protection against the cold. A heavily patched, tattered tunic extends from her neck, where the fabric is frayed and unevenly cut, to her hips, where strips of fabric hang loose, rough cuts and tearing having shortened it. The original piece of clothing was of a deep violet, although bloodstains, turned a reddish brown by time, cover the center of the back and front. The stains are centered around patches where fabric was harvested from the same piece of clothing or one made from the same type of fabric. After a few moments' observation, it becomes clear that the tunic was probably worn by someone who died in it, impaled and bleeding into the cloth. Below the tunic, tightened around Tenei's thin waist by a thin frayed rope, are loose trousers of dark color, green patches at the knees. Despite their size - clearly made for a grown man - the legs seem to fit the young woman fairly tightly, the reason why being present at her ankles. Rusted nails pierce the trousers just above her ankles, bent into a roughly circular shape, a great deal of fabric pressed together by the metal. Several small holes, of the right size to have been made by nails or similar implements, dot the bottom half of the trousers, beginning just below the knees.

Apart from her attire, a second aspect of Tenei's appearance causes her to stand out among the group. A wickedly spiked metal chain winds around her, wrapped around both of her tanned, bare arms. A second glance brings the realization that the chain itself is clearly something different than the large black metal blades on each end; a third the truth that the "chain" consists of hundreds if not thousands of nails melded together. Dozens of tips, still sharp, extend outwards, digging into the flesh of the one wearing them. The total length of the bizarre chain is difficult to ascertain, but it's certainly longer than the woman (the shortest of the group, close only to the aging merchant in size). As the group makes its way into the wind, a soft whistling comes from it, intensifying whenever the wind gains strength.

Tenei's build is a far cry from the strongly muscled, armored Captain Arlington and is different from the slim form of the aged Morren. Her arms are naught more than ropey muscle and bone, legs similarly thin. Her core seems to be slightly less meager than her limbs, retaining some feminine curves beneath the tattered tunic. Above her neck, the hunger or intense training that drove the fat from her limbs seems to have left no mark. Full cheeks, marred by a faint scar on her right side, thick lashes and thin brows surround the brown eyes that stay ahead, flickering towards the others when Tenei notices that she is being watched. There's a cool curiosity in them, a hint of warmth in her gaze that belies the cold that should be cutting into her.

Black hair, growing down to her shoulders and cut unevenly, is blown backwards by the wind even as she has stopped moving, standing before the trembling men who guard the gate of Stonebriar. Tenei looks over them a few times, seeming distinctly unimpressed with the weapons pointed at her as well as the men wielding them. Still, just before she speaks her lips twitch into a slight smile. It's a different smile from the one that came to her during the worst gusts of wind, one showing amusement more than bliss.

"No cough'r shiv'r a'fears me, 'sollies. Let'm through, an' not out, sim'l 'nough, ey? Ain't be needin' them pikes t'sort it out," Tenei says, smiling, raising her hands and waving them slightly to show a lack of aggression. Of course, with the matte black blades, pierced by strange hole in several places but still clearly dangerous, hanging from her wrists, the gesture is slightly less helpful than it otherwise would be.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-07, 03:40 PM
Morren

Morren had suffered the elements mostly in silence. As far as you've gathered, he is a merchant of sorts....perhaps someone with some sort of minor noble title. His clothing and behaviour surely suggests something. He is dressed far too fancy for someone traveling around like this. When he did speak, he was well-spoken and kind. A very likeable man. Perhaps useful for his knowledge, connections or money, but should things come to a fight, this old, probably spoiled man would likely be useless.

When the guards tell them they can't enter the town, Morren tilts his head and smiles at the guards. He is clearly sizing up the situation and pondering on a reaction when Tenei speaks up and chooses the direct approach. Morren decides to wait and see how they respond.

[roll0]

Since I have a feeling they are lying, I'd like to know more about this lord. Depending on the outcome, I might decide to force the truth out of one of them.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-07, 09:18 PM
Rick stared intently at the two guards. They seemed to be telling the truth, although the state of their armor and weapons was appalling. No soldier in his squad would be allowed to let their equipment get into such a state. Perhaps standards were more lax here in the north. Underneath the grime of the road, Rick's armor was well-used but still polished to a shine. A long polearm and a heavy recurve bow hung from his back and he wore a short sword at his waist. All had clearly seen a lot of use, but were well-maintained.

Beneath the armor, Rick was young, strong and handsome. Today however, he walked with shoulders hunched and dark shadows under his eyes. If he had spoken, his companions would have heard a strong, clear voice, well-spoken and educated. But today Rick just stared at the guards and held his tongue. He would let Tenei do the talking.

Knowledge: Religion: [roll0]
Heal: [roll1]

1whoscribbled
2014-04-08, 12:18 AM
"Brother" Michal Anos Burr

The Trudge to Stonebriar

Being the only one with a wagon that was going to Stonebriar he let the others in their little caravan ride with him though not all at once. Two or three of them would sit on the front seat while the others would walk beside it. Still with all the hills that the road went around or over made the two mules (Lily and Star) exhausted once they reached the town. During the trip the others all noticed one thing that offset the joviality of their scholarly companion. Under his great red coat with runes embroidered on the hems of both the sleeves and coat tail, under his gloves of fine leather dyed a deep blue almost looked like ebony to the eye, under his knee high boots and his surcoat of a dark stormy grey that hid almost all his skin from view where a multitude of black scars and old burns that each could seen when he would lean back to stretch, causing the long sleeves to fall down. Or when he leaned against the back of the wagon to push it forward the hem of his coat would fall back and on the back of his neck would be more of the same black scars. He bore no weapon except for several daggers he kept on his person, one at his waist next to a well patched pouch, another could be seen strapped to the inside of his left boot when the surcoat did not obscure its view, and the last was hidden up his right sleeve by way of a sowned in pocket. The entire garb though seemingly flashy did provide a great amount of protection form the wind and cold that they all had to endure on the trip to Stonebrair.

The Mules of the wagon are both of a fine brune color and have that silly animal grin that allways seems to radiate contentment. Both though are rather old and their fur is becoming a bit ratty as the signs of age overtake the beasts. The wagon's wood is splintering in places, the wheels are each different from the four others as each have beed replaced many times through its long service and Anos could never find the same wheelwright. Or so he say. The canvas that makes up the roof is fading from its once bright blue cover to that of a dull violet. Yet both the wagon and its two mules show the signs of the care and love that have been poured into them. The beasts furs are clean, all the hooves neatly clipped and shoed, a well polished tack newly made rest on each one, and booth seem to be a little to fed. The wagon has the signs of the amount of repair as you examine closely as the replaced frame, the mismatched wheels, and a new cushion mounted on the drivers seat.

Throughout the trip Brother Burr or Anos as he told you to call him was constantly talking about the history of the surrounding land and of the need to find a new parton to work for. He told you all of his trade as a scribe and of course offered his services to each of you while traveling, saying "I'm a man of little needs yet have the stomachs of these two hills of fur to feed." All the while he asked each of the for any news pertaining of the disbanded Order of Seals.

At the Gates

As they final reached the new gates of Stonebrair Anos noticed the poor state the walls were in while Tenei was busy talking to the guards. "You would think they would strengthen the walls if they wished to keep the afflicted inside the town."he pondered.

"Well if you to can tell us of an inn that is nearby or at least somewhere we can rest for the night safe from this storm I would be eternally grateful" He said with a smile. "In anycase can you at least tell us how fairs the town, how much longer is it believed to be shut up for instance?"

Getting off the seat of the wagon he walked around the two mules and went towards the two guards saying brightly "Also I was hopeing to find out about find out about my old teachers acquaintance that I was told to live here. At least I hope he still lives but that's besides the point. I sadly don't know his name but he would have been wearing a ring similar to this but of either gold of silver" Anos said as he pulled out a bronze ring from his pocket. Holding it out to them he held it high enough for the others to see from behind him. It was made rather well though it was easy to tell in was done by human hands since it bore neither the elegance of elven wear or the workmanships of dwarves, but it did have a simple beauty of its one. Upon the face of the ring was engraved a was a book lying open with a quill and lighted candle above it. Small stones representing the the flame of the candle slightly sparkled in the dimming light.

"Well he would have some more motif on it than this, most likely a gauntlet holding the book perhaps but this is the best I can show you. Thankfully though he would have been know as a man of letters and most likely a keeper of a large collection of books. You wouldn't have happened to have meet him or at least heard of him?" Anos asked.

Waiting for a reply form the gaurds he got back to thinking. {"What exactly is this plague, could it be the coughing sickness .... ? Nitor help me I hope not. Last thing I need is for the thing that killed my mother to be spreading again. I couldn't help her then I sure couldn't help anyone now."}

{"What of this lord Sigismund though, he might be one of the ones I have been looking for."} Sighing to himself he rolled his shoulders, allowing his scars to show from his lowered neckline. he continued thinking allowing a frown to begin to grow on his face {"What was it of this plague that sounds so familiar".} Thinking back to when he read of the wars of the Dead and of the many territorial disputes among the great cites, he searched his memories for anything that might be of use.

Knowledge History Check for the plague [roll0]

Knowledge Nobility/Royalty for info on Lord Sigismund [roll1]

Bardic Knowledge Check for anything pertaining to Stonebrair that he might of learned of while traveling thoughout the Vale: [roll2]

Anything in {} is what he is thinking, not saying aloud.

HuskyBoi
2014-04-08, 02:16 AM
Sarresh did not speak much during the journey, apart from to introduce himself. He sensed a certain lack of warmth and openness in his fellow travellers, and decided that his questioning could wait for now. As they arrive at the gate, he dismounts from the wagon and moves around to look at the guards.

Great Obod-Hai, there is a plague? Ah no, no plague. These men are not speaking that which is. For some reason, they have created the plague as a lie, to drive away travellers. All travellers, or just us? And why? Being curious, Sarresh decides to pursue this line of enquiry, following the example of the others. Although he finds it very difficult to understand what the young one with the spiked chain is saying. He will have to ascertain whether it is a regional dialect at some point. He steps forwards, remembering not to get too close. Apparently this makes humans nervous.

"Excuse me. I think you are lying. Your eyes move upwards when you speak of the plague, maybe there is no plague and you are remember something which is not. Because there is no plague, me and my colleagues would like to go in. We have come a very long way, we are bringing gold, and we will be well in the town. We will not start fights or tread mud on your floors. Please, can we go in?"

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nobility) roll from the Wisdom of Trees: [roll1]

H. Von Studley
2014-04-08, 07:40 AM
Rick's eyes widened in surprise at Sarresh's accusation, before he quickly stifled a laugh. The muscles in his face felt strange. He hadn't had cause to smile for some time, but the abruptness of the statement was refreshing. Perhaps this strange fellow wasn't so bad. It had seemed to him as though the guards were telling the truth, but admittedly he had not been the best judge of character lately. And there did seem to be some wisdom in the tree-man's eyes. Perhaps they were lying after all. Rick moves to stand next to Sarresh, draws himself up to his full height and fixes the guard who had spoken with an icy stare.

"Answer the tree-man. And unless you intend to use it, you had better lower that spear, soldier."

TheAegis
2014-04-08, 09:55 AM
The deluge of questions seems to fluster the two men further, as each successive question the man that spoke earlier grows paler, and the men's positions tighten, clutching the spears, the whiteness of the knuckles of the shorter man betraying just how tightly. "Look here, no one is getting in. No one. Your business doesn't matter. How far you've traveled doesn't matter. The town is closed until we're told it isn't. Where you stay now isn't our concern, as long as it isn't here." there's a stressed emphasis on the "here". "Now get going, before you get us all killed", he says, a bizarre mix of hostility and pleading in his tone, as the other guard glances back nervously, as if expecting a sudden bolt of lightning to strike him, while also trying to keep his eyes on the party, as if their words might suddenly become arrows and strike him dead.

Morren
Lord Sigismund was a local lord, who made his home in Fort Fulgor (a fort on the Emperor's Road, roughly three days travel from here), there he an roughly 20 retainers patrolled and "protected" the region in exchange for some very basic tariffs from passing caravans and enough food from the villages to feed his family and retainers. That's until about two weeks ago, when he keeled over dead at the age of 63, from sexual exertion some rumors claim, although the most likely story is that his heart just gave out. Regardless, Lord Sigismund is very, very dead, and his son Ladius (Now Lord Ladius) is now in charge. As a result of this the keep has fallen apart, Ladius has a bit of a severe drinking habit and is rumored to have a violent steak, the majority of the former retainers have left, seeking work elsewhere, and it seems likely that within months Fort Fulgor will be abandoned by the now mostly destitute Lord Ladius.

It seems unlikely Lord Sigismund has ordered anything recently here, although its possible these men simply haven't gotten word yet.

Rick
The Plague, with a capital P is a familiar term to anyone who's ever had to tend to the sick, as any time anyone gets sick rumors of "Plague!" begin to spread. The symptoms include severe coughing, liquid filled lungs, agonizing pain, quickly spreading among people and an incredible resistance to magical treatment. Real Plague however hasn't been seen for a long time...

Burr
Plague, actual real Plague, the fast spreading, utterly lethal sickness that causes lungs to rot, and which is incredibly resistant to magical treatment, has only ever been in the Vale as far as New Haven, where the Watchers purged the city to keep it from spreading any further. It hasn't been seen anywhere in the world for hundreds of years, since long before the War of the Dead.

Lord Sigismund was a local lord, who made his home in Fort Fulgor (a fort on the Emperor's Road, roughly three days travel from here), there he an roughly 20 retainers patrolled and "protected" the region in exchange for some very basic tariffs from passing caravans and enough food from the villages to feed his family and retainers. That's until about two weeks ago, when he keeled over dead at the age of 63, from sexual exertion some rumors claim, although the most likely story is that his heart just gave out. Regardless, Lord Sigismund is very, very dead, and his son Ladius (Now Lord Ladius) is now in charge. As a result of this the keep has fallen apart, Ladius has a bit of a severe drinking habit and is rumored to have a violent steak, the majority of the former retainers have left, seeking work elsewhere, and it seems likely that within months Fort Fulgor will be abandoned by the now mostly destitute Lord Ladius.

Bardic Knowledge: Stonebriar is a simple town, nothing of particular note happens there, and there's really not much reason for travelers to head in that direction, unless they're especially keen on getting robbed by goblins. Certainly the people there are good honest hard workers, and they even have a stone temple of Pelor, but the winters there are harsh, and they barely get by each winter.

Sarresh

The Bramble doesn't remember any Lord Sigismund... but there was a Sigismund who was part of the Marshwanderers. Wait, was his name Sigismund? Hmmmmmm, maybe it was Sigfried... anyway, Sig was a good man, always moving so quickly, with such nervousness, he wasn't a bad friend to the Bramblelords... he didn't really associate with them either... but he certainly enjoyed burying things when he though people didn't see him... maybe he was trying to get trees to grow gold?... that would be foolish, there are no gold trees... at least that the Bramble remembers.... there are trees with silvery leafs... why the bramble remembers that once...

1whoscribbled
2014-04-08, 12:03 PM

"Of course, I understand you have a duty to perform, but can you tell us where we can rest for the night?" he asked as the two guards "Also" pausing for a breath as he begain to frown at them "you need to come with me for a moment I think. We have some things to discuss I think regarding the orders of Lord Ladius" he said stressing the living lords name. "I would think this a poor way to treat one of his friends!"

Standing straighter he spoke to both guards loftily "So for the sake of your honor would one of you come with me to my wagon so we may speak in private. I have orders for you to take to your captain." he said raising on of his brows. "This once I have done that we shall leave here and cause no more trouble. Agreed?"

Bluff check as to me being the lords friend by the way im wearing my courtiers garb if that helps any: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-08, 01:16 PM
Morren

Morren decides to wait this situation out. On the outside, he manages to suppress his surprise at the degree in which Brother Burr is aware of recent events. Morren knows from experience that very few things are as annoying as someone else interfering with your bluff. Instead he keeps an eye on the two guards and readies himself to provide a minor mental 'push' should that be necessary.

HuskyBoi
2014-04-08, 11:50 PM
Sarresh is a little bemused by the hostile response. He had not meant his tone to sound unkind or threatening, but apparently it had been read as such. And these guards truly are terrified, which begs the question of what is waiting inside the walls that has frightened them so much?

He allows the Brother- an honorary title, presumably, as none of the others were using it, which made it unlikely they were all related- to talk with the guards.

If it comes to it of course, Sarresh sees no reason why they cannot sleep outside. At least it's raining a little, so that's nice.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-09, 08:01 PM
Rick stands, still as a statue with his eyes fixed on the guard's spear. Hopefully the Brother's ruse would work. And hopefully the guard would not be foolish enough to attack. The last thing Rick wanted was for this exchange to come to blows, but if it did he would be ready.

TheAegis
2014-04-09, 08:23 PM
The two men look at Brother Burr with the same mix of hostility and apprehension as before, with an added dash of confusion to boot. Perhaps they haven't heard of Lord Sigismund's death yet? The man that spoke before, opens his mouth, as if to speak, but a quick, calculating look passes over the his face, and instead of speaking, he starts to take a step forward, then pauses, rests back into position and speaks to the other man, his tone hushed, as if to avoid the wind carrying his words. "Go with them lad" he says, deliberately keeping himself from gesturing, his posture relaxing from threatening the party to loosely holding his spear. "Don't be too long now"

The other man hesitates, but takes a faltering step forward, and then another, marching quickly, decisively into the cramped but private interior of the wagon. Once inside, the facade that had barely survived outside crumbled, upon closer inspection this "guard" isn't older than 16, old enough to hold a spear, but still a callow youth. His words come out rushed and broken, his hands shaking and his face pale as he speaks "Goblins...they came from the hills, led by some man in grey robes. They took the mayor and some villagers hostage. Said it'd all be fine if we cooperated...went into the temple. Can't attack them. They'll kill the hostages. They'll kill IRENE." he almost shouts, the thought seemingly too much to bear.

the youth stops for a second, stopping the rapidly cascading deluge of words from his mouth, tears, apparently unnoticed by him before streaming down his face. "Please, you have to go get help!" he begs, "and I have to go back before they kill Herr Leif. They said they'd kill us if we didn't turn away visitors. That they'd be watching..."

OOC

The use of Herr instead of Mr. is pretty common in the northern regions of the Vale, especially in the more rural areas.

Tenei
As this goes down, the figures in the tower seem to converse hurriedly, huddling together to whisper

Sarresh
As this goes down, the figures in the tower seem to converse hurriedly, huddling together to whisper

H. Von Studley
2014-04-09, 08:44 PM
Rick was stunned. He had clearly misjudged the situation. He felt a pang of guilt before his mind began to race with tactical questions.

"Alright alright, calm down. We may be able to help you but we need some information first. How many of them are there, and where are they keeping the hostages? What are they armed with? Are they well-organized? What about their leader? Did he fight as well, or just talk? Are there any secret ways into the city? Did anyone escape them?" Rick sneaks a quick look back towards the town gate. "Quickly now, we have to get you back out there as soon as we can."

HuskyBoi
2014-04-09, 10:48 PM
Sarresh makes a low, angry sound. Goblins. He doesn't like goblins at all, and has fought them before, as they have tried to push into the marshes. And they take hostages too. He will exterminate them all! Wipe their bickering, foul kind from the town and purge them away! Rot down their bodies for nutrition, until there is nothing left of them! And we would have to be cautious... moving in the shadows might be best.

"We should wipe out the goblins! Move through the city, take them out one at a time. And interrogate their leader. They cannot be allowed to live, vile plague that they are!"
"My kind has fought with the goblins countless times, and they are a brutish, callow race, that must all be killed. They come to our marshes and our nests, they fight with our soldiers. They pull up the young by their roots, and they consume the still-living. They use fire to burn away the leaves, and they do not care for anything but their own stomachs. We fought with them in the swamps only months ago, as they came too far into our homes, invading our space. We ripped away their skins with whips and with sharp rocks, and we drowned them in the water of the marsh, before we consumed them through our roots, to feed us. We must fight them all here too, and eat them when we are done...

1whoscribbled
2014-04-09, 11:48 PM
Shocked at the turn of events he quickly asked "Do you know any answers to m friends question quickly now before they figure out what we are doing?" Looking about hurriedly he tried to spot and goblin spies.

{Goblins, why is it that there allways has to be another thing in the way of my mission. Couldn't there be an easy path in this world through life?}

I figured I could do another spot check since finding out the new information. could you roll me another spot check please (this way I wont know the results if I fudge it or succed) More fun this way :smallbiggrin:

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-10, 01:53 AM
Morren

"Hmmm...." Morrens' mind was racing. "What if you'd take a few or all of us prisoner?" He slightly shakes his head as if he sees some complications there. "That, or we have to leave now and return later...we can't endanger these people too much. Is there an alternative way into the town?"

PersonMan
2014-04-10, 10:30 AM
It didn't take long for Tenei to put two and two together. The guards were obviously frightened, and there were several figures off in one of the towers, keeping an eye on things. Whether or not the Plague bit was true or not didn't matter; while she doesn't think they're lying, Tenei has had enough run-ins with slick talkers to know that a sincere tale isn't always true. There was always the possibility that these men thought there was a plague, that they themselves had been deceived to seem more truthful by whatever force wanted to keep them out. Although she doesn't want to rule out other possibilities, Tenei immediately thinks of the man she has come to find. Perhaps he had heard of her coming, and was now trying to avoid his fate? If he had brought an entourage, it would be possible for him to have them placed in the tower, to make sure that justice would not enter the town while he waited to return to his former life of heresy. No matter who they were, however, she's sure that they are the true cause of the guards' upset, as much as her feelings tell her that the men are simply nervous due to the sickness within the walls.

As one of the men goes into the wagon, Tenei looks over those with her once again, considering each of them and wondering if she should tell them of her suspicions.

First was the giant tree-man. Tenei had never seen anything like him before, nor heard of his kind. Bramble-somethings, he had said. Talking the entire way, this Sarresh had lost much of his mysterious, monstrous, exotic aura when he rambled on about everything even vaguely related to the actual topic of whatever conversation he was inserting himself into. The man...tree? Did it even make sense to call Sarresh anything but 'it'? Tenei brushes past that thought, leaving it for later, considering the tree's constant curiosity instead. Obviously, being a tree-person-thing, Sarresh wouldn't know normal society or many of the things that the people living in it grew up being taught. It may be difficult for him to understand the situation, but he did seem to be a large, strong...tree-man. So if he did get it, and things went badly, then he would probably be a useful ally in the ensuing fight.

Then there was Rick - well, Captain Arlington, but Tenei never called anyone by such a title. He himself was some kind of guard or soldier or whatever it was; Captain wasn't really a civilian title. If push came to shove, Tenei wasn't sure if he could do what needed to be done. There was also something off about him. He seemed a bit down, as if there was something haunting him. Someone of his build should stand differently than he. Wider shoulders, higher chin...he held himself like something had cut his ego at the knees. It reminded Tenei of some of the guards who she'd seen demoted. They walked with the same kind of gait. Perhaps he was once General Arlington. He was pretty young for that, though. Generals were all old men in her experience. Old men with fancy noble titles that meant that they had lots and lots of gold.

Michal seemed a bit off to Tenei. He was some kind of traveling noble, or merchant, or whatever, and that set her ever so slightly on edge. The traveling types were always more willing to cause some trouble because they thought they could just slink off into the sunset once their deeds were done. Of course, Michal hadn't done anything of the sort. He came across as a kind man, continually offering to let her have his seat on the wagon. But in the end all of the good swindlers were kind and smiling. Of course, Tenei pushed the expectation to see an inevitable turn in his nature back, remembering her mentor and idol's teachings. To pass judgement before one had any reason to even suspect someone was not only sin, it was injustice. She would keep an eye on him, though. Justice didn't mean stupidity, after all, and more than one fool had tried to get back at her after she had given them a second chance.

Finally there was Morren. Tenei didn't like him, even though he seemed friendly. He was old and covered in wealthy clothes. Clothes that, she knew, could buy a dozen people meals for weeks if not months. For one, at least. She knew that from experience, having once robbed a man like him in a Stormhaven alley. It hadn't been difficult, the man had barely been awake after having drunk enough to all but empty his coinpurse. This one was probably similar - an egocentric merchant who just wanted to fill his pockets with as much gold as possible. He wanted to live a life full of gold and jewels, fattening himself with luxuries that could feed entire towns. He would be the last one she would ask. After all, what good would a fat-purse like him be in a fight?

"'Ey garrie, ans'r me all stiffly an' be all li' I'm jus' tryin'a nauthent, ye'k?" Tenei asks, giving the man a reassuring smile before frowning, stepping forwards. "Now, tell me if th' ones in a tow'r ov'r ther' are why yer so nervo, mm?"

TheAegis
2014-04-10, 09:06 PM
In the Wagon (Morren, Rick, Burr, Sarresh)

The young man takes a deep, shuddering breath, and steadies himself to speak, his eyes still red from the sudden deluge of tears. "I dunno how they got into the town. I was feeding the chickens when the horn sounded in the town square, so we went to see what was happening. The man in the grey robes was there and..." he hesitates here, as if struggling to figure something out "at least a hundred goblins, or maybe a thousand. They were all armed with shiny swords and armor, a proper army they looked like. They had the Mayor and some of the others at swordpoint and took them to the Mansion... the grey man said they'd only keep them till they were done and that if anyone caused a ruckus, they'd kill'em all. Except he said it more fancy like. There wasn't any fighting, happened too fast I rekon. Then the grey man and some of the goblins went to the temple." he pauses, searching his mind for a reply to the question regarding secret entrances "It ain't much of a secret, but the thieve's eye is the door on the other side of the wall. Its closed, but it don't have those goblins watching over it. You could also climb I suppose" he says looking at the armorclad figure a little dubiously.

He seems a little... relieved, at the plant's man enthusiasm about killing goblins. It steadies him a little, despite the aliennes of the bramblelord, even if he seems to grow a little yellow at the description of just what the plantfolk did to the goblins in the swamp.

"I don't think the goblins up there would be too keen on us taking prisoners, m'lord" he replies, apparently more in control than himself than before, his tone not nearly as cracked and infantile "They said to turn back travelers, and nothing more." he pauses, "I should go back..." he says, starting to get up.

Now that you all know where to look, the presence of the goblins is evident, three of them, hidden somewhat behind the parapets, apparently conversing, they seem rather nervous by what is happening below, their fidgeting quite unsuitable for hiding.

Out of the Wagon (Tenei)

The man gets a gleam in his eye and points the spear at Tenei once more"Aye, I kenn" he says, his tone seemingly hostile, but the subtle wink of his eye indicating that he's playing along "Those are goblins. They came into town this morning and took prisoners. If you're gonna leave, do me a favor and take the boy with you. Darren was already grumbling when we got out here, and he'll likely have half the town in a frenzy by now, its gonna get bloody soon, I recon" he finishes, his face a scowl, his body fully in an aggressive position."Now ON YOUR WAY" he roars, loudly, for effect.

This seems to startle the goblins in the tower, and they bring their heads together and start bickering, still at this distance its impossible to hear what it is they're saying.

PersonMan
2014-04-11, 06:56 PM
"Ah'see. Is ther' en'other way in? Li'l path to get pas' the 'obbies?" Tenei asks, stepping back and waving her arms a bit, as if to calm the man down.

The situation was entirely different that what she had thought. This wasn't simply the Farfield noble hiding from justice, it was far more than that - a threat of an entirely different kind. The thought of a larger battle was both appealing and off-putting at the same time. On one hand, Tenei was a pious Erythnili*. She was not going to shy away from combat, especially in this kind of situation. Spilling blood in great amounts to investigate the possibility of her quarry being in the town was something her mentor would have encouraged her to do. Mortals were prone to sin, even when devoted to truth. A death in battle would, assuming that the person in question had lived a proper life up until that point, mean a sure passage into the eternal reward given to those who followed the edicts of Erythnul. As such, joining a bloody battle to retake the town from the goblins would be just. The righteous who fell would be granted passage to their well-earned afterlife, while the wicked would fall into the darkness they had fostered in their hearts during their life. Even better; not only would justice be done, those who had lived a just life but would fall to sin in the future would not have the chance to be corrupted, entering paradise when they would otherwise fall into evil.

On the other hand, Tenei had not come to fight swaths of goblins in order to free the town. Their affairs were not hers - she was searching for a single man to bring to justice. A man who had avoided mortal law and would be subjected to the divine trial of Tenei's blade, his soul measured by Erythnul. Fighting goblins would do nothing but reveal her presence, potentially allowing the young nobleman to escape during the battle and avoid the fate he deserved. This line of thought ended suddenly, as a bolt of realization struck her. Of course... Tenei thinks, the epiphany making her consider the situation in an entirely different light. It wasn't a simple attack by goblins on the town. Stonebriar was not under siege or being overrun - it had been occupied. The guard had said that they 'took prisoners', which itself wasn't an issue, but combined with his behavior it seemed to be something more sinister. The man's fear was clear, and the figures she could see in the tower were obviously there to keep an eye on the guards. If they were afraid for their lives, then the goblins were willing to kill them. Which would make the 'prisoners' they took more than the surrendered of the village militia. No, if they were willing to cut down the guards they put at the gates to deter travelers, then they would surely use prisoners taken from the civilians of the town to enforce their rule on the people.

The goblins were heretics, then. Tenei had come with a mission, to kill a single man who had escaped mortal justice. Now, she was presented with something more than that. Not a single man turning violence onto those who had not chosen to embrace it, but an entire force of heretics who were using their foul practices to keep the town under their control. Tenei's other quest would need to wait. Even if it meant allowing this man to escape, she was bound by duty to the task Erythnul had brought to her. The blood god had turned her eyes to the tower to spot the figures hiding within and had guided her thoughts to the realization of the true nature of Stonebriar's situation. No illness plagued it, at least of the body. No, a host of diseased goblins had fallen over it, their bodies healthy but their souls fallen to the rot of wickedness. Heresy had overtaken them, and in their sin they went to battle without the righteous security of the faithful. No, they would fight only until they felt like victory was no longer before them, and flee once their morale was broken. They would not face death without fear as the pious did, for they knew in their hearts that they would fine no rewards in the afterlife. They were sinners, turned rotten by their deeds and unable to look to the future with the joy of one in the grace of Erythnul. This day, Tenei had been given a new task by her deity, something far more than bringing a single man to justice. No, what Stonebriar needed now was a crusade. The goblins would need to be driven off. Their bodies cut down and their souls cast into the black fires that would roast them for their sins.

The heretics would be purged, and Stonebriar cleansed of their taint.

I think 'Erythnili' sounds like a good demonym for Erythnul-worshipers.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-12, 05:57 AM
Rick nodded at the boy. He had best head off now to avoid suspicion. Rick turned to the others, "I think we should step out of the wagon, shout a few curses at the guards and head back the way we came. Hopefully it will seem to the goblins that they turned us away. As night falls we can double back and see if we can make it through this secret door. We can't leave these people at the mercy of the goblins."

Rick wasn't sure if he wanted to save these people to make up for his past mistakes, or if he was simply looking for the distraction, but he knew that this was something he had to do. And if this strange group of misfits could help him, then he welcomed it.

HuskyBoi
2014-04-13, 05:03 AM
Sarresh is willing to wait a few hours to skewer some goblins. Returning at nightfall to sneak through the gate suits him fine.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-13, 05:18 AM
Morren

Morren nods. "Let us be off, then. Hang in there, young man. We'll try to find a solution to your problems." He also gets up to leave the cart. Goblins terrorizing the people of the Vale like this is a bad thing for the trade, and freeing this town might open up possibilities for a contract or two. Sounds like a true win-win situation.

TheAegis
2014-04-14, 08:40 AM
Outside the Wagon
The man seems to think, maintaining his hostile stance. "Aye, if you're clever with locks, there's the Thieves' Eye on the other side of the wall, if not, you can always try climbing the wall, its not exactly easy, but the lads seem to manage it every year. Now, get going, the goblins don't seem exactly happy, and I'd rather not wind up as a goblin skewer." he says, glancing over his shoulder again, watching the three goblins fiddle with the crossbow, their agitation increasing with each passing second.

Inside the Wagon
They young man seems resigned as he debarks from the wagon, and the two men just follow the wagon with their eyes as it trundles down the hill it had just managed to climb, three other pairs of eyes watching it depart from the tower. As the wagon creaks down the hill, the slight drizzle intensifies, the winds howling with a promise of continuing rain.

Two Hours Later
From the bottom of the hill, where the wagon is tucked beyond the sight of the hill, the five travelers gather, ready to return up the hill. Outside the storm rages, full of fury and wind. The rain falls like sheets of freezing iron, and the winds roar, their promise from earlier fulfilled as the combination of rain and wind chill everything, the road growing muddier by the second. Brief flashes of lightning illuminate the ascent. It truly is a miserable, ominous night.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-14, 01:37 PM
Morren

Morren had taken his time to consider the options. Should he offer to possibly endanger himself in order to make it easier for the others to enter? When it is time to make decisions, he speaks up: "What do you think? Climbing walls is not my strong side, so I'd prefer to have that thief door opened." He smiles, perhaps somewhat apologetically. "I could provide a distraction if you think that would be helpful....far away from where we plan to enter." He thinks a moment and then adds: "Can one of you open locks?"

H. Von Studley
2014-04-14, 08:12 PM
Rick

"I too would prefer the Thieves' Eye. I can climb well enough, though wearing this might make it tricky" He gestures to his heavy armor. "If someone climbed the wall first and let down a rope it would be possible though. The storm should provide excellent cover. I also might be able to provide a bit of cover with a spell, but I'm not sure how well it'll work in this storm. Has anyone been to Stonebriar before? Does anyone have any idea of the layout of the town on the other side?"

Finally, Rick turns to Morren. "If we have someone who can get that door open quietly enough a distraction may do more harm than good. We don't want anyone to know we're coming. If we have to climb the wall though, a distraction would probably be extremely useful. What did you have in mind?"

HuskyBoi
2014-04-14, 10:45 PM
Sarresh considers all the options. Although entering through the Thieves' Eye is preferable over climbing the wall to him, it seems there is another option that no-one has mentioned yet.

"Why can we not just wait for the goblins to go? This town is small, and there are not many resources inside. Goblins do not settle, so when they have consumed the town's resources in a few weeks they will likely burn it down and move on. Then we can trap the goblins as they leave, and kill them in the open. It will be easier, I think, than killing them inside. It will even give us time to bring together more warriors to help us fight them. I think it is best for us to wait."

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-15, 12:28 AM
Morren

Nodding at Rick, Morren agrees. "If we think we can do it secretly, I agree a diversion would not be the best option. It would put me in some danger as well..." He smiles. "However, if needed, I could head towards the main gate and, hmmm, bring some friends into being. Briefly, mind you, to have their attention set on an other part of the wall." When Sarresh informs the group of his view, Morren makes no effort to hide his amazement.

"My friend, it strikes me as if you care more for slaying Goblins than for saving the townspeople. In your plan, the villagers may be hurt, quite possibly starved for weeks and left with a burnt-down home. For many, it may take a lifetime to recover from such disaster. The town may end up a ghost-town. Then we may lose one of the towns that keeps our beloved Vale alive and thriving!"

PersonMan
2014-04-15, 03:45 PM
Tenei turns to leave as the younger man emerges from the wagon. She keeps her movements sharp and harsh, as though she was angered by the guards' refusal to allow her to enter the walled Stonebriar. Taking special care to not look at the three shadowy figures she now knew were goblins - giving away that she had spotted them, or even giving the goblins a reason to be suspicious about whether or not she had, would make her mission significantly more difficult. After all, sneaking into a place was a lot easier if the people guarding it didn't expect anyone to try and sneak in. Tenei keeps her eyes away from the tower not just to avoid suspicion, but also to help her keep the urge to attack them under control. Sneaking off the road, into the rain under cover of shadows, finding a way onto the wall and administering steel justice, while satisfying, would jeopardize her mission.

Instead of dwelling on the three goblins in the tower, Tenei lets her thoughts wander as she walks back down the hill, accompanied after a moment by the rest of the group. Considering the rain and wind, she thinks back to how the cold, covering her skin and then seeping into her body, was once a serious threat to her life. Now, however, she was enlightened - if only in part - and such issues did not bother her in the slightest. To the contrary, Tenei actually felt a measure of joy from the feeling of cold rain drops splattering on her exposed skin, the soft caress of the wind bringing a sense of proximity to Erythnul. The soft whistling of her chain, curled around her arms and barely shifting in the night wind, gives her a second sound to focus on, as the constant patter of the rain drifts into the background. By the time the group reaches the bottom of the hill, Tenei is feeling far more upbeat than before, and it is beginning to show as a small smile graces her face.

As the others begin to speak, Tenei says nothing, waiting for an opportune moment to ask one of those present to accompany her. A second set of arms to help cut down the heathens, a hand to open the door into Stonebriar for her - help in her quest would most certainly be appreciated, even if she is relatively certain she could achieve victory on her own. Know of your divine protection, but do not revel in it like is a fur coat in winter, Tenei thinks, quoting her mentor as she looks over the group again, listening quickly. The only sound that comes from her is the soft whistling of her odd weapon, a noise that has never stopped while the wind has continued to blow.

"We cain' jus' wait," Tenei snaps suddenly, shaking her head as the tree man speaks of letting the goblins do what they wanted in Stonebriar and killing them once they left. "We must purge the heretics immediately. Erythnul has sent signs that steel justice should be done tonight, and allowing them to have their way with Stonebriar would be a great sin," she explains, sudden movement causing some of her rain-drenched hair to stick to her cheek. The even more sudden change in her manner of speech is not accompanied by any kind of outward change - it's as if she simply switched from her former dialect to an entirely different one. Despite being soaked, Tenei seems to have gained energy, excitement clear in her voice. "No' all us ken live li' a tree, 'm 'fraid," she continues, her smile returning, humor in her voice despite the somber tone she had just been using moments before. Turning back to the others - specifically, Rick and Morren - Tenei speaks again. "I cain't climb fer a cu'co'er, least not'n this we'er. If some'n opens th' door, I can slip'n no problem, though. Ain't nev'r been in Stonebriah 'fore, but I hear'd a few thin's from som'n 'bout it," she says.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-15, 07:22 PM
Rick

Rick gave Sarresh a strange look. Clearly there were some ...cultural differences there. Luckily the others seemed to agree that they needed to help the townspeople and bring the goblins to justice as soon as possible.

"Well, it seems as though we're agreed that climbing will be difficult, but honestly I don't know how we're going to get through that door short of breaking it down. Can anyone pick the lock? Worst case scenario I can take off my armor and try to climb the wall, under the cover of an Obscuring Mist spell, and then let down a rope."

HuskyBoi
2014-04-15, 11:23 PM
Sarresh is still a little confused by the haste these humans seem to have, but it seems they are determined, and he has come to learn more of their ways. Clearly they were more different than he had previously imagined. Fascinating.

So, we are to attack directly, it seems. Unfortunately, Sarresh is neither a climber nor a locksmith, so he may not have a lot to offer until the door is broken down. But he does have some ideas, at least.

"If we want to attack now, we must attack quickly, while the storm gives us cover. The wind will hide our sound, and the rain will make us hard to see. We should move quickly."

PersonMan
2014-04-16, 07:51 PM
"Any'en go' a rope throw'r? Tha'n some'n cou' throw't up an' we follo'," Tenei considers, taking some of her hair in her hands and brushing it back off of her cheeks. The whistling of her chain in the wind is joined by the soft clinking of the large blades at the ends of the weapon. Having a pair of hand-sized steel blades resting against her neck doesn't seem to bother her. To the contrary, she seems to lean her neck against the cold steel, as if finding comfort in its presence. Silently, she asks for guidance in the winds, hoping to hear a prophetic voice in the rattling of her chain or in the whistling wind blowing through the links. For a moment Tenei is silent, concentrating on her surroundings, but before long her focus returns to her comrades, a lack of divine communication bringing her to speak again. "If we 'av the sur'ise, we c'n go'n slow. Take'r time to get up th' wall 'n read' up," she says, looking primarily at Rick, who'd mentioned his armor. "It ain't be no pro'm if y'de'armo, we c'n bring it up t'ya. Y'got rope'n'a 'ook?"

After her question, Tenei turns her attention back to the hill, considering the climb while letting the raindrops continue to fall on her skin. By now she was thoroughly soaked, her slim build emphasized by the cloth clinging to it rather than hanging freely as it had while dry. Just as she hadn't seemed to be bothered by the wind and cold earlier, the rain and drenched clothing doesn't seem to have brought any sort of discomfort to her either. Occasionally, the undersides of her arms seem to be drenched in darkness as well as water, barely-visible blackness trailing down the chain at her side to drip down from the blades that hang below their owner's wrists. "Oh, 'n case I forgot t'say, I cain't pop no locks ei'er. Ne'r been in my need," Tenei says, remembering the armored man's mention of locks. She'd decided it was best to clarify, although she was of the opinion that her inability to open the door was implied by her focus on climbing over the wall itself. But it was always best to be sure one's message had come across. Another bit of wisdom from her mentor. It was times like these that she wished to once again have the priestess at her side. She would know what to do, how to do it, and then be able to execute it perfectly. The two of them alone would bring the winds howling through Stonebriar to cut down the heretics in swaths that would bloody the soil for years to come. The thought brings a slight smile to Tenei's face, but the joy is bittersweet, as a pang in her chest follows the brief happiness. That was what they could do, if she was still with her mentor. But she was here alone, with a small group of strangers who seemed to also be interested in purging the goblin heresy in the village.

H. Von Studley
2014-04-16, 09:50 PM
Rick

"I've got a rope and hook Tenei. I think I'm going to keep my armor on though. This doesn't look like too difficult a climb. Once we get to the wall I'll cast something to cover us, then we can take turns climbing up. Everyone alright with that?"

As he speaks, Rick removes the rope and grappling hook from his pack and begins tying knots at regular intervals along the rope, about a foot or two apart. "These should make the climb a lot easier."

Taking 10 to tie on the grappling hook and to knot the rope for easier climbing. Once this is done, Rick will be ready to go.

HuskyBoi
2014-04-16, 11:00 PM
Sarresh is a good sentry. Sharp eyes. And quiet too. I'll go second.

Taking ten on a climb check gives a result of 12. If no-one objects, he'll head up after the Captain.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-17, 01:34 AM
Morren

Morren looks stoically at the rope being prepared. When everybody is ready to go, he also starts moving. By the looks of him, you are guessing he is not too excited about the idea of climbing a wall.

TheAegis
2014-04-17, 09:17 AM
The downpour only seemed to intensify as the five travelers clambered up the road. Calling it a road at this point was more a charity than anything, as it had become more mud than road. Still, retracing the steps that they had followed hours earlier only proved marginally more difficult with the sticky footing and the need for stealth, as the winds roared loudly in the tempest.

It was thus only a short while later that the group found themselves standing before a particularly ill maintained section of the wall. Behind the cover of the wall, there is some refuge from the stormwinds, despite the occasional gale blowing by. Here rocks have clearly smashed against the wall at some point, causing the uniform grey to break into darker recesses, that a particularly apt climber might use to scale the wall. Moss grows in some of these recesses, showing the age of the wall's injury. The two towers at either end of the wall loom darkly, seeming to almost watch the group, as they prepare to assault the wall...

OOC
Cast any spells, roll climb checks (dc 14, 10 for the state of the wall + 4 for being wet and windy) , or use rope for throwing the grappling hook (dc 18, (14 for distance + 4 for adverse weather)), spot checks if you're looking for sentries, hide if you're trying to hide, etc. You can take 10 on any checks, and theoretically take 20. If you guys manage to secure the rope, the dc to climb it is only 4 (0 for knotted rope + 4 for wet and windy)

Sarresh
Your post indicates you thought we were already at the wall, we weren't, so feel free to edit as necessary ^_^

1whoscribbled
2014-04-17, 11:13 AM

At the Wagon

Anos simply watched as the group discussed the plans to invade the goblin held town, nodding his head where needed and often chuckled as the discussed as to how they were going to climb the wall. As soon as everyone agreed on a plan Anos took off to his wagon and switched a hidden lever on the side of the front seat. A slight click could be heard allowing everyone one to see the hidden panel at the back of his wagon to lift up. Shaking his head at the looks everyone was given him, he began to pull out he armor. First thing to come out was a fine chain shirt with links so tightly made that it seemed more like a sold piece of fluid silver than chains of steel. Next thing to come out was a crossbow made of a fine dark wood with copper plates embedded in the sides to strengthen the weapon. A quiver of bolts quickly followed as he began to line up his tools. An enormous sword was then lifted out, “as tall as the tree man” he thought with a chuckle as he laid it to the side of his wagon. “Too bad I didn’t think to pack any bottled fire with me, would have made a wonderful diversion…” At last he reveals the last object, wrapped in a large black cloak with small silver wire embroidered in to the hem was a signal gauntlet. Covered in strange etchings that twisted about the many miniature spikes that covered the back of the hand and the bits in between each finger piece, it seem to call for blood to cover it. It was a fierce piece of what was supposed to be protection made into a weapon that could deliver a painful reprisal.

Taking off his courtier’s garb he had worn in the hopes of impressing the locals with while hunting for his estranged order member, Anos went back into the wagon. Going to the chest next to his cot, he pulled out a key and opened it. Inside he took out some common burlap pants, a worn shirt, and put them on. Reaching back he placed his hands on the chain shirt and looked at it with a grimace “Wish the darn thing wasn’t so blasted heavy …” Shouldering it and the rest of his weapons he closed the curtain to shield himself as he put on everything else. Plenty of clinking and cursing could be heard within as he struggled to put on everything by himself. Sliding the shirt onto himself after laying his arms back down. He then pulled out a black surcoat emblazoned with a six point silver star with a opened book resting below it. Strapping the large sword to his back, he then attached both crossbow and quiver to his side by a large leather belt pulling the chain shirt tight to his waist. Throwing the large great coat about himself, his body now cloaked in the dark material obscuring most of his form he reached for the spiked gauntlet. Sliding it on his right hand with a bowed head. He turned about to face the lone light candle in the wagon. Kneeling down he closed his eyes and began to focus his mind. After a few minutes though there was only silence. Then in the stillness of the air a whisper could be barely heard in the recesses of the wagon. The voice of Burr seemed to darken with each word, a change enveloped the air as the hidden man started a what could be heard as a prayer, though in some ways it was more like the mutters of madness.

"I am here at the crossroads once again Nitor; Forced to decide whether to seek out my brother or fight .... Oh how I hate fighting yet at the same time driven with such a lust.

Why do you allow this torment? What am I to learn? What am I to teach these savages? Show me the way lost as we both our, guide me to the final night, make me the author of the Final Chapter. I still remember what you once where, what you still are, and one day I shall make you what you wish come to be.

Frist though I need to find the others if the still exist, I ask for your patience as I'm delayed once again by this horrid fate that has plagued me."

A chuckle could be heard after the man said the last word and the door open to reveled the cloaked and armored man that had once been the ever cheerful scribe. His long black coat trailing behind him, floating in the evenings chilling air. The great sword well worn grip sticking above his left shoulder, extending above his hooded head. Reaching out with his right hand to grip the frame as he lifted himself down revealed the wickedly made gauntlet, its etchings twinkling in the dimming light. Stepping down the arch of the crossbow peaked out with each step as he strode to the group still reverently praying.

"Still this plague of ill fortune rushes ahead of me, striking down all those I have loved, destroying the small chance I have left as finding these sons and their Father of Whispers.

A brother may yet live here so I'm forced to resort to the blade once more. I know I am not a ordained keeper, yet I take this title again in honor of my fallen home.

Hide nothing from my sight, guide my hand, banish my hate."

As he last reached them he looked each in the eye and said quietly "Lets go."

At the Thieves Eye

When they finally reached the wall Brother burr looked about at the two towers, a sense of unease enveloping him. "Get that fog up already, last thing we need is something spotting us." Reaching to his side he pulled out his crossbow, loaded it, and stood at the ready. Keeping both of the towers in his field of vision as he looked for sentries.

OOC
Rule me a spot check please
I have my crossbow out and is perepared to shot the goblin that spots us (will only shoot if he thinks if they have seen him and his group)

H. Von Studley
2014-04-17, 06:43 PM
Rick eyed the heavily armed Brother and grunted with approval at his transformation. This looked like a man who could hold his own in a fight. He then turned to the rest of the group. "Did anyone see any goblins on the wall?"

(Assuming they hadn't) He carefully lifted the grappling hook from his bag, and weighed it in his hand, trying to judge the throw. It was a long way for the grappling hook, and whether it stuck or not was probably more a matter of chance than anything. This might take a few goes. He spun the hook around a few times and then hurled it upwards at the wall.

Once the hook had caught he tugged on the rope a few times, testing the grip. Satisfied, he nodded at the Brother's request, muttered a few words to himself and lifted his arms over his head. A thick cold mist settled around the group, reducing visibility and muffling sound. With that done, he grit his teeth, gripped the rope, and began to pull himself up, listening carefully for any sounds from the wall above.

Assuming nothing nasty happens, Rick will keep trying the grappling hook until it seems to stick. I'll roll it once, and I'd appreciate it if you could roll any other attempts as necessary.

Use Rope: [roll0]
Obscuring Mist Duration: [roll1] rounds.
Climb: [roll2]

Be gentle with me ACP.:smalleek:

HuskyBoi
2014-04-17, 11:29 PM
Following the others up to the wall, Sarresh prepares himself to climb. If the rope is secured, he'll go second, and act as a lookout.

Apologies, I did get a bit ahead there! Right, rolls.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

If the rope is secured, I'll take 10 on the climb check, for a result of 12.

Autopsibiofeeder
2014-04-22, 03:48 PM
Morren

Morren decides he should not go last: If I don't get up, I am stuck here alone... "Are there, ehm... knots in the rope? I don't think I have ever done this."