PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Tiren

Lentrax
2014-04-07, 11:18 AM
Shaerlorne awakens as it always has, to the sounds of low explosions from the apprentice levels of the Floating Tower.

Crews begin loading ships in the harbors of the River District, hauling loads from the warehouses that crowd the district.

In the Brass District, children begin running about, sent out on morning duties from the orphanages.

In the Iron district, foundries rumbled to life, massive clouds of black smoke spewed into the sky.

And all across the city, people begin their routines as another day dawns.

In the Muck and Brass Districts, members of the City guard begin hammering notices onto buildings, and sending them into taverns and inns.

The notice proclaims simply: "Outstanding Bounty for Capture of Polper Shyar. Reward for capture rasied to 200 silver pieces."

Galt_Devil
2014-04-07, 11:40 AM
Stepping out of the Dusted Crow, a cheap tavern in the brass district, Ashlynn examined the notice that was placed. She couldn't read, per se. But she knew numbers, and her time as a mercenary had taught her very early how to read the words for silver, copper, gold, jewels, and a few other choice words. Squinting at the notice, she sounded out the name on the parchment, before jingling her coinpurse idly. The money she had left would last her for sometime, but that bounty would increase her wealth by half again, and keep her in food and rooms for a good while. Nodding to herself, she stepped back into the bar, figuring a good person to ask about the man on the notice would be the barkeep. They always seemed to know things.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-07, 01:13 PM
Silk, having collected the remainder of his pay for his last job, decided to donate some of his time to a local tavern and sing sweet beautiful melodies for the ladies, whilst speaking with them about trivial nonsense. This served four purposes, foremost was the time this enabled him to spend with women, but second was what came about from speaking with women: gossip. Of all his sources, random women in taverns seemed to be his greatest and most powerful source of information. Most people seemed to have forgotten that women were around at key and opportune times, allowing women to know some of the most scandalous and juicy information. Another good reason to be in the bar was to spread his fame that much farther. When Silk finished his epic song of heroism and bravery, it would be for the best if many people knew of Silk the Bard, and any contacts he had could be used to promote his work. The final reason to be in a tavern was that, although cliche, it seemed the best adventures always started in taverns, especially low end taverns, and so in order to collect enough heroism to be added into his epic, he needed to be there and join one of these adventurous parties.

It just so happened that Silk had wandered into a tavern with plenty of people to hear his song, and plenty of women with whom to talk. Yes, most of the women in the room were working, but that was often the case. He immediately stole a mug off a table, leapt onto another table and chugged it down before bursting into a silly song about a fisherman who thought he caught a mermaid, but instead caught a trout. The entire premise of the song didn't make any sense, but the rhythm was upbeat, and the lyrics were full of puns.

After finishing, he ordered the table he had robbed a round, and roamed the room, speaking to any and all women who caught his eye. The gossipings and praise of these beauties were the lifeblood of a bard, and Silk intended to live richly. He noticed a guard come in and hand the barkeeper a few fliers, but he didn't bother to look into that just yet. Instead he was content to catch up on local rumors, and start a few of his own.

In order of appearance:
[roll0] Performance (Sing)
[roll1] Diplomacy (to the table I robbed to take my actions lightly)
[roll2] Gather Information (Local Gossip)
[roll3] Knowledge Local (Important Figures of this area)
[roll4] Bluff (To convince the women I speak to that a man named Gregor Thompson, a tailor in the next city over, had an affair with some important figure's wife I figured out about from the knowledge local roll.) [This is just for fun.]

Also: [roll5] Spot and [roll6] listen to observe anything I can about the fliers.

OOC: I may or may not be in the same tavern, up to the universe to decide which tavern I venture into.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-07, 03:41 PM
Feveas sat against the wall just outside the bar, looking over her shoulder to study the capture notice. Her sword was lain across her lap casually, and hey gray hair glittered in the early-morning sunlight. She continued to study the message intently, wondering if she should go inside and talk to someone about it.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-07, 06:36 PM
James [needs a nickname] Kirridan

Making sure to lock the door to his room, James walked downstairs after hearing the singing going on, and remembering his uncle once sung him something similar, James stopped and smiled at the bottom of the stairs in the inn for a few moments, his nondescript white shirt and pants made him more or less one of the croud, if it weren't for the rapier hinged on his belt. As he was standing there a waitress bumped into him, causing a somewhat quiet but high pitched ringing sound as his shirt ruffled against the metal serving tray.

He helped catch the tray and aplogised to the waitress, leaving a few copper pieces as he continued walking to the bar and chatting up the girls and seeing what is going on at this end of town. well, what better time to gather information than when there distracted by music, thank you my singing friend... maybe later I'll bring my instrument out and play with him

Reasonable tip (assuming 3cp would be okay)
Gather information: [roll0]

galenbd
2014-04-07, 10:22 PM
Angharad wakes up when the birds first sing all at once right before first light. Used to this, Coli twitches his ear, but doesn't stir. She starts by wandering around the camp site starting to get blood flowing and clear her vision.

She finally settles down for her morning meditation and calisthenics. She devotes herself again to the Father as she does each dawn. Coli finally gets up and starts checking out his markers. Once her devotions are over, Angharad starts packing up the campsite.

She turns to Coli and repeats in Elven her instructions to lay low while she heads into town. Not that she expected him to really understand or follow her directions. She slings her pack over her shoulder and heads for the city walls.

The city's big and she tries to walk through without completely gawking. Everything is so noisy, so it's really a losing battle. Eventually she notices the consistency of the soldier's nailing paper to various surfaces around town. She buys a roll and stands to the side, eating it while observing the guards.

Once they clear out, she comes over and looks it over carefully. What a waste of resources, for a criminal. Why don't they just sing it like back home. I don't need the silver, but it might help me understand who I would need to work with in this town. I'm sure I can find him, but I'm not sure I can manage the capture without severely injuring him.

She sees another elf sitting casually aside with a sword laid across her lap. Curious, Angharad wanders over and says in Elvish, "Well met, I did not expect others of us in a place such as this. How came you here?"

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-07, 11:12 PM
Feaves

Feaves looks up at the other elf, giving a polite smile before speaking in elven as well.

"Well met to you too, stranger. I've lived here for a long time... Haven't left out of obligation to my church, mostly. It's unusual to see other elves here, aside from mages of course. My name is Feaves. What's your name? And what draws you to this city, if you don't mind my asking?"

darklink_shadow
2014-04-07, 11:23 PM
Realizing that he recognized the woman speaking to the barkeeper, he excused himself from his current company, promising to return with eager ears and a waging tongue. Jumping slightly to sit, he slide over near Ashlynn. Jasm... No, Ash... Ashlynn! Yes, Ashlynn. My fine, beautiful, barbaric maiden. I assume you're planning a sojourn into the wild unknowns to track down and kill maim or capture some foolish lout on that poster the barkeeper just acquired? I expect you'll reeve mountains that get in our way and slay countless hordes of evil creatures, until we find this madman, whereupon your raw beauty, and the thick sheen of sweat upon your luxurious skin will seduce him into coming willingly to the executioner's ax in exchange just to hear your voice once before he dies?

Silk chuckled, and reached under the bar to grab himself a mug of ale, and dropped a copper coin on the table. Or will it be more like time, where you would not listen to any of my creative ideas and simply wade through hordes of evil, and drag the poor fool whining and kicking all the way back here, leaving me bereft of anything useful to writing my epic. You know, someone as beautiful as you really would be picture perfect for the heroine of my epic.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-10, 09:58 AM
Her brows quirking, a faint growl brewed low in Ashlynn's throat--She didn't like to play the standoffish barbarian woman, but there was something about bards that could just set her the wrong way.
"Close enough, bard."
She began, her voice low, and somewhere between hostile and intrigued.
"I'll be sojourning, as you put it, and I'm certain there should be some killing and some dragging between here, there, and back again. Not so sure about your creativity on this little walk."
The thickset woman glanced down at the poster, exhaling through her nostrils.
"Looks simple enough, and boring enough. Seems that you'd like to tag along just the same."
Feeling charitable, she had elected to ignore his particularly off-putting comments about her skin and her beauty, saving that argument for another day. Her time in mercenary camps had made her used to the closed-in atmosphere and noise of a tavern, but to this day she preferred open air, and she could feel herself growing progressively more frustrated. As she waited for a response from the bard, she ordered herself a strong drink, in the hopes it would take the edge off her nerves.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-10, 01:13 PM
Silk grinned at her, knowing she was irritated by him, and aware that his "wooing" would never work to woo her, but it was fun to tease her into growls. Oh, my woodland goddess, I would follow you until the end of my days, just hoping to catch a secret smile from you; just to see the beautiful glow of your skin in the midday sun, glistening with sweat from effort, and blood from our foes. With a chuckle and a wink he jumped off the counter and sat at the bar beside her, on a stool, like a plebian.

I get the gist of the wanted poster, but something in his face tells me that he is more dangerous than the reward, which is already rather high for just one man. You might not want to trust my intentions, but you an trust my information, and my gut. And those both tell me we'll want a small band of mercenaries to get him, or the blood I'll see on your flawless body will only be your own, and maybe some of mine. The Gods know I hate the sight of my own blood. It'll ruin the whole piece. Silk dropped a few coins for her ale and stood up. Don't run off without me, if there is anything you can trust about my intentions, you can trust that I definitely want to keep the pretty people alive. I'm going to go see if I can find anyone else reliable. Enjoy your ale. Why, that must be the fifteenth I've bought you, you sure are a tease, making me buy you ale and never even indulging me with a kiss! Before she can react to the last thing he said, he merged with a crowd.

----

Without much adieu, Silk set about learning about any reliable mercenaries nearby. Talking to women, and sending out a message to his contacts in this city, and waiting for them to reply.

[roll0] I basically am just hoping to discover about the party, and maybe their motivations and how I can manipulate them into coming with me to get this guy.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-11, 09:50 AM
Grumbling, Ashlynn watched the bard walk away. He was a pretty enough thing, and endearing. He knew how to draw a laugh out of a crowd, and if her pockets hadn't been so empty, maybe she would have been more amused with his antics. Forty-five gold pieces. A fortune to a peasant, but almost nothing to her. Oh, aye, it would keep her in excellent room and food both for a week or more, and could stretch almost indefinitely if she took humbler fare. But it wouldn't buy her new weapons, it wouldn't replace the helmet that had been cracked in her battle with the grey dwarves, and it certainly wouldn't serve as a foundation for her ambitions.
She drank deeper, and stared into her mug, wanted poster clutched in her off-hand.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-11, 10:09 AM
So I'm going to try to keep what there is as consistent as possible. But I do have to ret-con a couple of items: First, to make the title of the thread make some sense, you're currently in the county Arret, and the town of Shaerlorne (I gather Arret was the world setting originally), and second, there is no floating tower of magic in this town. Also, in the interest of picking up momentum, we're skipping the rest of the tavern scene. So:

In smaller print at the bottom of the notice that has caught the eye of each of you are the words: "Inquiries should be directed to Guard Sergeant Stokes, River District HQ, Foundry Street".

Foundry Street runs the length of Shaerlorne from the gates facing the Zaquir mountains, where miners, human, Zaquir elven, and a smattering of other races bring their ores down to be sold, smelted, and shipped. The barges in the river district are capable of navigating not only the river Arret, but the great lake Darsan as well as the fens that border its northern end. Several of these barges can be seen being loaded at the end of Foundry Street, not far from the River District guard headquarters.

As Fate would have it, Silk and Ashlynn, Feavas and Angharad, each in pairs arrive at the same time as James does, entering the Imperial Guard building. The building is small, but in good condition, kept to regulation as all Imperial outposts in the North arm of the Empire are kept. The sergeant's uniform is typical of one in the Red Army, his black rank insignia easily visible against the crimson of his tunic. The man is typical of what one would think of when the word 'sergeant' is applied. He's large, a little pudgy around the middle, red-faced, which clashes a bit with his tunic and appears capable of raising a voice that could carry for miles. As you enter, he's hunched over a pile of paperwork, with an expression that he'd rather be doing anything else, and he's clearly grateful for the distraction. "How can I help you fine citizens?" he asks, pushing the paperwork to one side of the desk and looking expectantly at the five of you, unsure if you're all together, or coming for separate reasons.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-11, 10:34 AM
Glancing at the other two groups, deciding her chances of getting useful information were best if she bullrushed ahead, Ashlynn slapped the poster down on the man's desk. Any luck, he could be straight and to the point, in keeping with the stereotype of a sergeant.
"Me and my companion here are interested in this bounty that's been posted. Any information you have."
Her words were clipped and short, perhaps giving away that she spent five years using little more than mercspeak t ocommunicate, and her grasp on the local common was solid, but spoken with the accent of the Rennite clans of her origin.

galenbd
2014-04-11, 11:34 AM
Angharad followed the other woman to the Imperial Guard building. The woman with white hair spoke up. Angharad frowned a glance at Feavas, uncertain if they were included in the term 'companions'.

Not yet ready to interfere, she decided to wait to see how the guard interpreted it. If they were ignored, she'd speak up then. Better to be thought a silent fool than to open my mouth and erase all doubt.

Unsure of these human folk, her eyes squinted in concentration looking for any nuance of speech.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-11, 02:59 PM
The sergeant looks at the notice Ashlynn had slapped on the desk. He frowns slighty, in thought, then rummages through the stack of papers he'd been going through, until he pulls out a particular sheet. He reads along with one finger tracing the words as he says, "Says here, he's been connected to 15 separate incidents of banditry along the caravan routes between here and them mines. 200 silver reward, like it says on your poster." His brow wrinkles for a few moments while he tries to recall the details. "Oh, right. He's that feller what's been gathering up some of the local thugs and trying to establish himself as some sort of bandit chief. He's wanted alive for trial, but there's also a bounty of 50 silver each for any of his gang. Dead or Alive. Tends to hit the caravans around some of the narrow passes about a day and a half out from here. Fairly remote country, not a lot of patrols through the area. Caravan masters are getting nervy and rustling up more guards too, I hear, to try to fend them off. Probably going to take more than just the two of yous to take him down. Rumor has it he's got thirty men under him. No one knows for certain, though."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-11, 03:30 PM
Silk followed Ashlynn in, and when she decided to take charge of the important business with the sergeant. Instead, Silk turned to much more important business: elven women.

<elven>
Speaking in the elven tongue of this country, he asked them: What are a pair of astonishingly beautiful elven maidens. Please tell me you're hoping to catch that dastard on the wanted poster. It would make for such a pleasant journey if you graces us with your lithe beauty as we adventured. And think of the song the bards will sing of this trip? A trio of angel-faced women embarked on a perilous journey to defeat the wickedness of one foul man. After dozens of battles, they arrive before him, and he rampages towards them! But! Silk pause gesturing dramatically He found all his foes too beautiful and pure to mar with wounds from his angry blades. Gladly he surrendered just to have the time to admire their faces during the trip to the prison. Years later, when he was released for his crimes, the very memory of such great beauty in the world had banished his wicked ways forever, and he led a pure life as saintly as he could, earning enough forgiveness for Malda to allow him into his blessed home. Silk smiled, rubbing his chin. A lovely tale. Surely you'll join the fair lady Ashlynn and I to stop this madness? Truly I am nothing more than someone here to observe and become inspired by beauty and grace such as yours. The bard I intend to have write that song is myself, and I wish to experience the thrills of your adventure first hand.
</elven>

With a small nod to the other man in the room, Silk returned to common. And you, I suppose you'll want some of the glory yourself, won't you? Or is it the gold reward you hunger for? I could weave you into the ballad of the three maidens. One of the two so entranced by their beauty, that they were compelled to follow and protect them to the ends of the world? Silk winked with a grin.

galenbd
2014-04-11, 03:46 PM
Angharad turns to Feavas with a grin and continues in Elven, "He sure talks pretty. With so many words, I wonder which ones of them are real."

She looks back at the young man in the shimmery shirt and insults him in Elven, "I don't know why you would bother going on such a trip yourself. It will just RUIN that pretty shirt."

She casts her voice louder in MercSpeak for the white-haired woman, "Thieves hide well. Know I tracking. I help you find thieves. You want?"

darklink_shadow
2014-04-11, 04:03 PM
Silk chuckles and grins pointing at Angharad with mirth. {Elven}Nearly half of them, if not a little more. And don't worry about my shirt, I'll change before we head out. He winked at her and moved over to the Sergeant. {Common}When you say, Dead or Alive, how much proof do you need per dead man? An ear? Thirty men is a lot for us to carry back here.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-12, 12:20 AM
"Head or a heart for preference," the sergeant says to Silk. "A man can live a good long time without an ear or two, but it's hard to keep on living without his head or heart. And if he can, then that's not somebody I want to tangle with anyway." Whether he understand either Elven or Mercspeak is hard to say, as he didn't react at all to the conversations spoken in other than the Emperor's Ithranian. "All you lot in this together then?" he asks.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-12, 01:04 AM
Silk curled a lip in disgust. You expect us to carry around a bag full of heads and hearts, and then, days after collecting them, drop the rotting, smelly mess on your desk? I hope you supply the bags. We'll need enough for, apparently, 30 heads. And yeah, those two elves at least, I expect to come with us. That last man I'm sure I can convince to wander in the wilderness surrounded by gorgeous women, so let's just say all five of us, eh?

sheinavig
2014-04-12, 01:12 AM
work to woo her, but it was fun to tease her into growls. Oh, my woodland goddess, I would follow you until the end of my days, just hoping to catch a secret smile from you; just to see the beautiful glow of your skin in the midday sun, glistening with sweat from effort, and blood from our foes. With a chuckle and a wink he jumped off the counter and sat at the bar beside her, on a stool, like a plebian.

I get the gist of the wanted poster, but something in his face tells me that he is more dangerous than the reward, which is already rather high for just one man. You might not want to trust my intentions, but you an trust my information, and my gut. And those both tell me we'll want a small band of mercenaries to get him, or the blood I'll see on your flawless body will only be your own, and maybe some of mine. The Gods know I hate the sight of my own blood. It'll ruin the whole piece. Silk dropped a few coins for her ale a

Galt_Devil
2014-04-12, 04:00 PM
Ashlynn raised a hand, interjecting in the hopes that she could make things easier for her, while also preventing the sort of base haggling that would keep the bunch of them there longer than necessary.
Perhaps noses, or eyes? They're smaller, so we could actually cart them in bags, and not many a man is going to make it long without an eye.
A harsh chuckle sounded from the throat, before she added;
At least not any I've ever dealt with.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-12, 10:46 PM
James Kirridan

Grinning, James returns the grin to Silk.<elven> "I would be absolutely delighted to be part of such a story." <elven> James then eyes the rapier at Silk's waist, giving a slight nod at the weapon before turning back to the sergeant.

"Provided everyone else is okay with it I'd be fine if we could take his group on together, do you know where we might be able to find his group? Or how large it is?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-12, 11:22 PM
The guard sergeant shrugs a little at Ashlynn's suggestion. "I don't write the regs. Heart or head for proof if they're dead. Bringing them in alive is always best as then we can bring them to trial all nice and proper-like, but we know that doesn't always happen. And as for something to carry them in," he rummages through a box beneath his desk and pulls out a sack with 'Property of the Red Army, unit 06357' stitched into it. He tosses the sack to Silk with an unspoken expression of 'if it'll get you out of my office any faster' "Put 'em in that if it's going to bother you too much to dirty your own sack. Just make sure you bring it back when you return. I got no reports of where their camp is, just where they tend to ambush folks. Series of passes and ravines about a day and a half from here, known collectively as Sighard's Cuts. Just remember, you don't get paid if Shyar's dead."

Galt_Devil
2014-04-13, 12:46 AM
Snatching up the sack, Ashlynn scoffed at the two bards with her, shifting from mercspeak to the local common.
"I'm not worried about blood in the bag. Maybe the bard is worried he'll stain his rapier. Gods know it hasn't seen blood before.
The tall woman stuffed the sack into a voluminous pocket of her garb, mentally noting all of the information the sergeant provided as she quietly indicated to the others present that she, at least, had nothing against extra warm bodies on this job.
Granted, she noted to herself, that meant a lower payout.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-13, 12:58 AM
Silk frowned at Ashlynn You slay me, my warrior queen. Please, do not taint such a lovely face with a lying tongue. You've personally seen me wet a blade with blood. But my bags? No, I do not wish to fill my bags with gore. I'm a merchant, an ambassador and a minstrel. I store treasures, and wealth in my bags. Not heads or hearts.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-13, 01:32 AM
"You've stored the hearts of enough poor maidens in your bags, Silk, with as little thought as I'll have for these bandits, I'm sure."
She responded, matching his frown with a deep one of her own, her face conforming all too easily to the shape, well-worn lines from years of such expressions becoming clear almost instantly.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-13, 01:58 AM
Silk wagged a finger at her face. I store the hearts of beautiful maidens in my breast pocket! And only with deep thought and consideration! It can't be helped if I am forced to depart from them due to my job. I always try to look up the beautiful flames I've left in the past. You imply such sinister things about my character! Just because I have plenty of love to give and you are so rebuff of my admirations! Silk protested in mock agony.

galenbd
2014-04-13, 04:38 PM
Angharad watches the byplay between the barbarian and the bard. So many words with multiple meanings. I wonder if that is how humans communicate an interest to mate.

She looks up to the guard and matches him in Ithranian, "I'm new to this area. These 'Sighard's Cuts'...Can you give me a general direction, north, south, east or west?"

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-13, 09:22 PM
"Generally eastish. Go out the door. Turn left. Follow Foundry Street to the gates, then follow that road for a day and a half or so. Can't miss it."

galenbd
2014-04-14, 11:49 AM
Angharad nods at the commander's direction and considers her path that brought her to the city. She replies to him, "My Thanks for your consideration."

She looks over at the bard and gathered soldiers and suggests, "I have a few things to acquire before traveling again. Would we like to meet outside the east gate when the sun is at it's uppermost?"

Galt_Devil
2014-04-14, 11:58 AM
"Well enough."
Grunted the barbarian woman.
"I've yet to pack my gear as well. If no one has any objection, eastern gate when the sun sits high."
Without actually waiting to see if anyone had any objection, Ashlynn turned from the small office and lumbered back to the inn where she had been staying. She took her time with gathering her gear and packing it, making sure each individual piece was secure and close at hand. Once her gear was gathered, she slipped on her mithril shirt, her shin guards and bracers, and even her cracked helmet. Then, on went her weapons. The brace of throwing axes she wore across her chest, sword at her left hip and dagger at her right, whilst her shield rested on her back.
So garbed, she slung her pack over her shoulder, paid her dues to the innkeep and made her way towards the eastern gate to await her companions.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-14, 10:14 PM
Since Lentrax asked to not use Arret, the county, and the river are named Erless.

As you all leave the Guard station the sergeant turns back to his paperwork with a grunt.

The day is pleasant, not too hot, not too cold, a few clouds are strewn across the sky on this spring day. Kevia, goddess of spring must be smiling on your venture. Or she would be, if she were present. Each of you collects your gear, settles any accounts in town, and you all meet up at the Foundry Street gate at noon. You have to wait for a couple of caravans to enter the city before there is space for your party to leave. The second caravan, despite a large contingent of guards, looks to have seen better days. Several of the guardsmen are bandaged and bear other signs of recent combat. The caravan master, a thin, sallow-faced fellow, looks relieved as they clear the walls of the city. His wagons appear to be weighed down with the weight of ore, so apparently the guards earned their keep, but not without taking a few blows themselves.

One of the guards reins in with his good arm to speak to the men at the gates while the rest of the caravan proceeds on its way into the town.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-14, 10:52 PM
Silk watches Ashlynn leave, enjoying the gentle sway of her hips before looking up at the she-elves. Well, my fine beautiful ladies, I guess I'll see you at noon. He winked and walked past them, hurriedly back to the tavern. With noon not far on the horizon, he had little time to gather enough information. And yet, wasn't there always time to butter up the gentlefolk of a tavern and pry from them all their secrets?

Silk had not packing to do, as he hadn't unpacked. With his handy-haver sack, he always had any of his meager possessions readily available. And so, he instead tried to find rumors about the group he was soon to face, and a wealthy merchant who would be headed that way, hoping to get hired on as a guard, and then hunt the bandits once the caravan was attacked. Of course, the merchant would pay them less than normal, since they only planned to travel halfway, so he'd have to hire guard for the rest of the trip as well, but still, the extra coin would be nice.

Gather Information (About Bandits) [roll0]
Gather Information (About Merchants) [roll1]
Knowledge (local) (About Bandits) [roll2]
Knowledge (local) (About Merchants) [roll3]

Diplomacy to get Hired on as a guard, if you want to shortcut my roleplaying of finding the merchant and of convincing him to hire us. [roll4]

galenbd
2014-04-15, 09:47 AM
Angharad heads back into the woods where she told Coli to wait for her. Of course, she had barely come out of sight of the town when she sensed a predator tracking her. It was too quiet in the fields around her.

Hastening back to he stash, she was not entirely surprised to have Coli rush her and nip at her ankle. She rolled over his back pulling his tail.

"You are too silly. We need to go. We will be helping some soldiers find a group of bandits." At Coli's cocked head, she replies, "I don't know if they will accept you. We will keep you out of sight for a while."

She gathers her things and packs for a longer journey. The pair of them talk a wide path around the town and approach it from the eastern side. Coli hunkers down in a field close enough to hear a shrill whistle.

Angharad walks in and joins the others on Foundry street. Then the caravans come in looking battered. She steps up beside one of the less injured guards. She asks, "What attacked you? Where?"

darklink_shadow
2014-04-15, 01:13 PM
Silk, finishing his calm, and yet irksome search for a merchant, realized the sun was nearing it's peak. Deciding he'd rather be on time with as much news as he had than push his luck gathering more and be late, he moved swiftly, but gracefully to the gate. Of course he was still a little late, but being on time was for those with so much less to do.

Ashlynn? Silk queried the general mass of people near the gate, but he spotted her and moved in to speak with her, grinning with that same wolf-grin he always seemed to have; hungry, but playful. Ashlynn. I found a merchant willing to pay us to escort him past the bandits, and no further, but he isn't leaving for two days. Probably not worth it, I know I don't want to sit in this town for two days, but it's there. However, that is not all I found out.

Giving a long pause, waiting until Ashlynn looked as if she might ask what else he found out, he told her: I found out our mark's little secret: he's ex-Iron Helm. Everything else I found out are secrets you don't need to know. Like who is eloping with whom and such. Trifles to you, I'm sure.

Iron Helm: They were the elite special forces of the Vannirite Dominion before the Dominion lost the war. Imagine something like a combination of the Nazi SS and US Navy Seals.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-15, 02:11 PM
The lady caravan guard Angharad stops appears unharmed, although it's clear she and the others in the group had been riding hard. Her clothing is free of cut or tear indicative of swordfighting, but she has dark circles under her eyes. They probably rode through the night without rest. "Bandits. Out by Sighard's Cuts. We fought them off, but it wasn't easy." There's a trace of pride in her voice as she mentions fighting them off. "Lost Danel and Arlen, but we killed five of them."

Galt_Devil
2014-04-15, 07:21 PM
Ashlynn had mostly been doing what she had learned to be her wisest bargaining manuever--Saying little. Although all that was visible of her armor was her bracers and helmet, her ragged tribal garb marked her as a foreigner, and clearly not a merchant. If there was any question as to her profession, her massive size, weapons, and shield would put to them to rest. Beyond that, her size and stance were all the advertisement she needed. The woman was articulate enough, and bore a respectable enough charisma, but had never considered herself a merchant or a haggler.
When Silk returned to her with his report, she gave a sharp nod.
"It seems to me that we'll just have to take our little band and move out on our own. With luck, we'll be attacked and can imprison a bandit for questioning. In the worst case, we can attempt to track them back to their lair, or lie in wait for them to assault a passing caravan."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-15, 11:25 PM
The caravan guard excuses herself from her conversation with Angharad and continues on with the others of her group. The five of you are able to start your journey in the sunshine on the open road. For most of the day, the road runs through rolling grasslands, the major foothills (and the mountains beyond them) can be seen in the distance, but you haven't hit difficult terrain as yet.

{OOC}Feel free to talk amongst yourselves as you travel, and I'll post again Sunday. I may check in briefly from time to time, but I highly doubt I'll be posting in between now and then.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-17, 03:03 AM
James

After paying the innkeeper for his room, and paying for a few days in advance to keep his more valuable items stored in the chest at (nobles outfit and jewels), he meets the rest of the group at the eastern gate, garbed in his dark blue travelers outfit, emblazened with a lion holding a dagger in it's mouth on the right shoulder, similar enough in colour to the clothes that it doesn't stand out until he get's close. Hood thrown back on the cloak he meets with the rest of the group and leaves with them.

"If we are attacked on the way, leaving one alive for questioning would be a good idea, but what to do with him afterwards might become a problem, we can't waste time to take him back to town, it would be foolish to take him with us where he could alert the camp, and frankly I dislike the idea of killing a surrenderred captive."

galenbd
2014-04-17, 06:31 AM
As they head east, Angharad remains near the others, but keeping an eye out to insure Coli is shadowing them.

As Ashlynn and James discuss tactics, she listens carefully, then asks, "What do you think we could get from a captive that we cannot learn from scouting and tracking?"

D_Man_7733
2014-04-17, 07:03 AM
James

Shrugging slightly James turns to Angharad, "Admittedly very little, but should somebody surrender, we need to know what to do with them. Regardless of whether or not we choose to question them."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-17, 06:39 PM
Silk raised an eyebrow at their conversation. What did the bandits do with those who surrendered? If he's part of a gang that let their prisoners go, we'll let him go, but take his weapons. If he's part of a gang that kills their prisoners, I'll execute him if you want. I have no qualms. If he is a murderer, and after the first murder he didn't give up that life, as he could have if he was truly opposed to it; if he finds murder acceptable, his proper punishment is death. Any bandits we find that are a part of the murderous gang deserve death. If you are too mild to be their executioner, I'll do it.

It's the right thing to do. I doubt Ashlynn is afraid of delivering justice to those sinners. He tone was heavy with disappointment with his party.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-17, 09:54 PM
Thinking on what Silk said for a moment, James addresses him. "While the law definitely has it's limits, we are requested to bring them back alive if possible. Make no mistake, I have no problem with killing those who pose a threat, and while I dislike the notion of killing somebody who has surrenderred, I will be able to do so should the situation demand it, but not before."

Galt_Devil
2014-04-17, 10:13 PM
The conversation had taken a turn for the philosophical, and Ashlynn's face had taken a turn for the sour. She spoke few words, but she spoke them fairly firmly, and with an ironclad certainty.
"We kill anyone trying to kill us. If they run, fair game. If they surrender, no killing."
She shot emerald colored glares at the party, her jaw set firm.
"I mean it. We truss them up and bring them back. The law means less to me than their names, but there's no good to come of killing a man yielded."
With that, she appeared to find the matter to be settled, and slung her shield higher on her shoulder, habitually checking each of her axes to make sure they would clear from the brace smoothly. Once she was satisfied with her gear, every few moments she would finger the crack in her helm, appearing to ponder over it.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-18, 03:01 AM
Silk chuckled merrily and shrugged. It seems I've been out-voted. That's fine. I don't particularly care. Seeing how often Ashlynn checked her weapons, he checked to be sure his rapier was easily drawn, then sighed. If milady wants to take prisoners, we can try. But if they attempted to escape, I hope they don't knife us in our sleep.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-18, 04:59 AM
James

Smiling now that the matter of prisoners seemed to have been settled, James lets out a laugh and responds to Silk. "I'd hope we aren't fool enough to leave prisoners unwatched at night, lest we probably deserve the wound we'd be waking with." Pausing for a moment to let his jovial response change the mood of conversation a little, James continues. "It occurs to me that I haven't formally introduced myself, but better late than never I suppose. I'm James Kirridan, you'll either recognize the name or you won't it isn't a particularly big deal any more, a noble in name only, and even that a joke at times."

Galt_Devil
2014-04-18, 08:46 AM
Smiling grimly at the assorted comments on the prisoner issue, Ashlynn dipped a nod at her companions.
"Ashlynn. Daughter of Tiren. Kirridan."
She mulled over it for a few moments as they walked.
"Haven't heard the name." The remark was offhanded, and she truly didn't seem to care about his bloodline. She cared far more about his blood were it spilled, than how blue it was whilst it ran through his veins.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-18, 08:44 PM
Feveas, not having anything to pack that she didn't keep on her person, had simply waited at the gate and joined up with the others when they arrived. She listened intently to the conversations of her companions, at one point about to interject about not killing surrendered prisoners, but the point was brought up by someone else first. She sighed and smiled a bit, seeing that her input was largely unneeded at the moment. She rubbed her holy symbol of Teria lovingly, not really having anything better to focus on.

galenbd
2014-04-19, 06:52 PM
Angharad watched the discussion around prisoners carefully. It was important to understand how the rest of the people would react to this complex question and give her a idea about how they would respond to additional complex questions.

It seems general reasonable consensus has been met. Angharad turns to look down the east road.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-20, 08:11 PM
The journey east was pleasant enough, if perhaps a bit tedious, trudging along the road and being passed by those on horses. A few times, amiable farm-folk traveling the road were willing to give the five of you (and even Coli) a lift as far as they were going, providing a welcome break from the drudgery of walking mile after mile.

Evening settles, and you find a secluded spot to make camp, in a copse of trees not too far off the main road, thanks to Angharad's and Ashlynn's survival skills. Dinner is soon prepared, and as you're eating, there's a large crashing noise through the trees, and before you have time to do more than reach for your weapons, a bearded man stumbles into the light of the fire. He's badly wounded, and near-white from blood loss. How he manages to keep a firm grip on a scabbarded sword with both hands is anyone's guess, but as he collapses to his knees, he keeps himself upright with the blade, and gasps out, "Key.... treasure... bandits... att..." then passes out, slumping to the ground, the scabbard still clutched tightly in his fingers.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-20, 09:41 PM
Silk quickly moved over next to the injured man to assess his wounds. Since they were obviously severe, he mumbled a few words under his breath and touched the man's wound gently. He'll be fine, assuming he's still alive. I dropped the bleeding, a trick the clergy of The Lady. I'm not sure if he'll wake up though. He licked his lips. Treasure, bandits and a key? That sounds like an adventure!

galenbd
2014-04-20, 09:56 PM
Coli alerted Angharad before she heard the man. She kept signing and whispering to him to keep him from attacking until she was ready. As obviously injured as he was, there was no need for defense.

Slik stepped up and attempted to heal him quickly, but offered no explanation. Angharad took her own time to assess the man's wounds healed though they were just recently.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-20, 09:57 PM
By the time Silk and Angharad get to the man, he's already dead, and nothing Silk could have done would have prevented that. His injuries were just too severe. The only thing keeping him partially upright is the sword, which he still retains in a literal death grip.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-21, 09:02 AM
Her face locked in a scowl, Ashlynn's snow white hair fanned out around her head as she whipped it about the small clearing where they had made camp, making certain that no bandits were immediately inbound. She gave her group time to absorb the man in the clearing, taking a few moments to do so herself.
"We'll have to bury him as best we can." She said without hesitation.
"Kirridan, Feveas, help me gather stones for a pile. In the morning, we'll see if we can follow his tracks back to the location of the attack."
After she spoke, she walked over to his corpse, saying a brief prayer over it and taking his blade, clearing it from its scabbard to examine it, though she had no desire to root through his pockets for copper pieces.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-21, 09:50 AM
The dead man collapses to the ground in a heap once the sword is wrested from his hands. The blade clears the scabbard easily; it's of fine make and quality, well-cared for. The hilt is wrapped in black leather, matching the scabbard, and the steel of pommel and hilt are blued. The steel blade carries a mottled pattern {OOC: Damascus steel} across its nearly 4 ft length. The 6 inches nearest the hilt have a number of notches and slots cut into the steel-- bearing resemblance to the business end of a key. As Ashlynn holds the blade, she feels a slight euphoria, as if everything is suddenly going her way.

galenbd
2014-04-21, 10:44 AM
Angharad shakes her head as she checks the man over. Ashlynn removes his sword, but Angharad is not concerned with steel. The living tells her more. "This man should have been dead many steps ago. He must have been a survivor of the last attack."

She draws her dagger and cuts a piece of the man's cuff off his pants to use as a scent marker. She brings it up to her nose and breathes in the man's scent. She sets that aside and considers the other scents she smells. Woods...water...clean...new smoke. She looks back along the man's crashing trail.

"I think I can track this man."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-21, 02:57 PM
Silk gave Ashlynn a look, then shook his head. What say you, Elves? Do we hastily bury the dead, and delay tracking his attackers, or hastily track his attackers and then bury the dead? It would seem to me that this man's corpse will likely wait patiently for our return, but perhaps the bandits will not. The man was desperate in asking for our help. Clearly not for himself, as he forced himself beyond death to ask for our aid, but for someone, or something, he left behind. I must insist that we respect his wishes, not his corpse. I for one will not have his sacrifice be made in vain because we feel compelled to prevent his flesh from being feasted on by carrion creatures. I think he knew he was dead, and if he was so concerned with his corpse, he wouldn't have wandered here. He would have died on the road, where his body would have been more easily found. No, he needed someone to do something. We need to do something for him.

He shook his head, no longer wanting any else's opinions. My lady elf, please, if you can track him, go with haste. We must hurry. Ashlynn, if you wish to stay behind and bury him, you may, but I feel more strongly compelled to act on a stranger's dying wishes, than secure his honorable burial. But since I sense we'll likely end up fighting, I'd rather have your sword arm swinging steel, not moving stones, know what I'm saying? After you help me, I'll write the man a burial song, if you like.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-21, 04:32 PM
Ashlynn buckled the man's sword to her waist, giving a brusque nod. The bard had a point, and a good one. If they waited to bury the man, his attackers would likely escape, but they may be able to track the bandits down now, and give chase. She was confident in her ability to find the campsite again, and she straightened, grabbing her light pack of gear.
I'm with Silk. Strange as it is. Angharad, if you can track him back, do it. I'll be behind you, ready.
She pulled a torch from her pack, lighting it in the fire, and drawing one of her throwing axes into her main hand, ready to move on.

D_Man_7733
2014-04-21, 05:06 PM
James

"We can return to bury him later, but we shouldn't let this chance get away from us." Standing, James' hand resting on his rapier, ready to move with the rest of the group.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-21, 06:45 PM
"And perhaps there are still other people in need of help and protection. Yes, let us go." Feveas said simply, standing. She kept her voice and body far steadier than her emotions. Unlike the others here, this minuscule show of blood and single death were already things she had rarely experienced. She was enraged, horrified, and saddened all at once that somebody so seemingly honorable had been wrenched from his safety, killed and forced to see the killing of his kin.

Feveas' forced her muscles to relax, despite the restlessness of her mind, and she gave a steely look towards the direction the man came from, moving whenever the group started to move.

galenbd
2014-04-21, 08:04 PM
Angharad smiled to herself in the darkness at the rationalizations of the humans. At least the local ecology will benefit somewhat. The man's spirit will be validated.

She walks over and opens her backpack. She pulls out a bundle well wrapped and extracts a small wooden lantern. She replaces the wrappings into her backpack. She tethers her lantern to the top of her spear.

Calling Coli to her side, she lets him sniff the scrap of fabric, then she starts along the man's back trail using the lantern to guide her tracking.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-21, 08:35 PM
Silk exaggerated a look of dismay. Ashlynn! You slay me! As strange as it is? You act as if I am utterly devoid of sense! I think it is I who makes the most sense. Surrounding myself by beauty isn't a sign of ignorance or weakness, it's a sign of one who enjoys life to it's fullest!

Silk checked unbuckled the claps on his rapier and set his off hand on it, keeping it in it's sheath, even if he was running, but ready to be drawn at a moment's notice. But I digress, let's make haste.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-21, 10:28 PM
Angharad has no trouble at all following the trail of the dead man back to the road. It's erratic and the man clearly fell several times along the way. Once back on the road his trail is more difficult to follow, but still within Angharad's abilities. He came from the east, and, as far as any of you can see in the night, there is no sign of a battle in the nearby vicinity. You can choose to keep following the trail into the night or return to camp (or perhaps come up with another option).

Galt_Devil
2014-04-21, 11:36 PM
We've come this far, I think we should stay on the trail.
Ashlynn said, squinting to watch the forest around them by the light of the torch and lantern.
I doubt anyone would expect to be pursued by night, and the last thing we can afford is to let the trail go col.

galenbd
2014-04-22, 09:47 AM
Angharad shrugs, then kicks herself for having forgotten to lay out trail signs. She builds a quick pyramid of pebbles next where the the trail enters the road.

She looks over to rest of the group wondering what the decision will be.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-22, 01:16 PM
Silk looks impatiently at Angharad for a moment, then bites his lip. A tick longer and he asks Did you lose the trail? We need to hurry.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-22, 01:26 PM
Feveas' almond-like eyes briefly puzzled over the trail marker before she realized the point of it. While waiting for the group to continue moving forward, she gazed enviously at the tracker, seeing how skillfully she went about her work. Feveas had rarely met with any other elves in her life, and she quickly began to fear that perhaps she wasn't living up to her heritage, seeing the competence of this other elf. She shook her head, mumbling to herself, trying to dispel the thought.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-22, 11:28 PM
The party trudges down the road, and despite the lateness of the hour and the faint light of moon and stars, Angharad is able to follow the trail. Perhaps an hour, perhaps a bit less, before midnight, the party enters a wooded section of the road. The road had been climbing steadily upwards for the past two miles, and the woods are at the edges of the true foothills. Not too much further in, the signs of a pitched battle are so obvious, even the most urbanized city-dweller would be able to detect them. Several bodies, dressed similarly to the dead man back at your abandoned camp, lie about the area.

galenbd
2014-04-23, 08:50 AM
As she tracked the man flight, Angharad stopped frequently to mark the trail in a natural way. A forked stick here, three rocks in a line or some uniquely torn moss.

Once she reached the clearing, she stops at the edge of it and squats down to look at it carefully. Rather than entering the clearing directly, she steps to the side. Coli immediately starts sniffing around the leaves and bushes nearby.

Angharad drops her backpack to the side and rearranges the lantern to attach to the back of her shield. She arms herself with spear and shield. Then she starts working around the edge of the clearing looking for tracks entering or leaving or other obvious hiding places. She takes her time being more wary than intent on finding a new trail.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-23, 12:02 PM
Angharad is unable to find any traces of anyone leaving the scene of the battle aside from the man whose trail they followed here. She can find clear indications of the slain group traveling to this point along the road from the east.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-23, 04:21 PM
Throwing axe still in her hand, Ashlynn began to scan the encampment. The fact that Angharad couldn't find the tracks of any bandits leaving the scene troubled her. It was unlikely less than a decently sized party of men could have slain this group, and she traced a slow circle about the bodies, watching and listening for any sign of bandits in hiding, her axe ready to throw and her torch held high.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-23, 05:40 PM
Silk licked his lips, but didn't say anything. This wasn't his area of expertise. It was theirs. This might be the moment that begins the tale of heroism, or it might be the moment his prospective heroes turn out to be less than ideal, or even die. Drawing his rapier silently, he crouched as he followed Ashlynn.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-23, 11:43 PM
Ashlynn neither sees nor hears any sign of bandits. Aside from the usual noises of the forest and the carrion-eaters, the party is alone in the night with the dead bodies.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-24, 10:29 AM
Ashlynn begins to search the bodies, directing the party to do the same. Her goal is not loot, and though she doesn't search for it, she does take any serviceable equipment or gold that she finds, adding it to a small pile. What she is searching for are dead bandits, to see if there are any identifying marks or other useful bits that may give them information. Any dead bandits she finds she will loot entirely, stripping their corpses of anything useful.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-24, 11:16 AM
Feveas forced herself not to visibly or audibly gag, not just at the sight of so many dead, but also at the complete lack of reaction from her allies. Were they all so used to this to the point where the sight of dead bodies just screamed to them, loot!! Fighting off waves of nausea, she crouched down, half-heartedly trying to look like she was searching a body before she gave up. She stood up again, drew her sword, and leaned back, closing her eyes and praying silently.

Sorry I'm not being of any use right now. I'll contribute fully in a fight, but I'm trying to play up the inexperience aspect. She'll grow up... If she lives that long.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-24, 11:25 AM
Partway through her searches, she stood and walked to Feveas, as though hearing her thoughts.
"I'm not wantonly searching these men for coppers. My desperate hope is to find something of use in hunting down these bandits, but past that, I am not letting serviceable gear go to waste."
She had seen plenty of good men and women balking at the sight of blood before, and had dealt with it, especially in her time as a sergeant. So, Ashlynn reached out, a massive hand squeezing one of Feveas' shoulders.
"Buckle down, if only so we can end the bastards that killed these men for gold."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-24, 01:44 PM
Silk looked at the corpses and balked at the idea of getting his hands covered in whatever filth there was on dead people. I'll... uh, keep watch while you search their bodies.

[roll0] Listen
[roll1] Spot
[roll2] to know who the dead men are.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-24, 02:48 PM
Each of the men-- save one, presumably a bandit-- that Ashlynn searches have the same crest somewhere on their person, whether it be on cloak, tunic, or glove: that of the Golden Hand. The upraised palm symbol has a silver T stitched into it-- indicative of some specific division within that large organization. Ashlynn's search turns up no weapons or ammunition, but a reasonable number of supplies. There are also two letters, on parchment, written in Vin, that appear to be personal correspondence to the family of the man on whose body they're found.

{OOC: Info forthcoming on the Golden Hand and your found supplies in the OOC thread when I have time, but before the end of the day. Darklink will also be getting a PM right after that.}

galenbd
2014-04-24, 07:09 PM
Angharad's cursory search turns up no sign of who assaulted the soldiers. Likewise her attention found no threats in the area. Silk decided to take over that duty and so Angharad relaxed some and started focusing more on finding trail sign than wariness. She and Coli circled the clearing again, much more attentively.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-04-24, 09:15 PM
Feveas smiled weakly at Ashlynn, thinking for a moment before nodding. "Yeah... I suppose you're right. Those who did this have to be stopped, and these bodies may hold clues to how we can stop them. Sorry about that."

Feveas looked at what had been amassed during the search. "Huh... These guys are part of the Golden Hand based on their symbols, right? Yet while I understand their lack of riches on their person, given the recent bandit raid, something seems... Off... About the possessions you salvaged from them. These guys seem more like pilgrims than bankers... Hm..."

And, Feveas thought, the possibility also exists that they got attacked for a different reason than just being rich, assuming they in fact were. If the "bandits" haven't left anything that can easily be tracked, that means they either flew away on something or, more likely, they covered their tracks with the trail these bankers used. Especially if their scent were the same...

"Looks almost more like an insurrection than a bandit attack," She mumbled, normally a very quiet sound, but amplified by the natural quiet of a place recently exposed to massacre.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-24, 09:38 PM
Silk looked away from his watchdogging to make a mild comment: How do you know these were not guards guarding a noble? This might have been a kidnapping. But look, one corpse isn't like the others. Definitely one group attacked a second group, and one group had a devastating victory. Must have been the dead man belong to an ambush group. No way you kill that many men and only lose one man without a massive force. There was not a massive force here, ground isn't messed up enough.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-25, 09:35 AM
After more thorough and exhaustive searching, Angharad finds signs of a trail. Whoever concealed it did a very good job; the trail leads south and east. By this time, it's well past midnight.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-25, 12:47 PM
"We could follow the trail, but I doubt fighting a full camp of enemies with no sleep is wise. I suggest we move away from the bodies, arrange a watch, and make a camp here. We may not get a full night, but we need rest before we can pursue the bandits that did this."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-04-27, 06:24 PM
The watches of night pass uneventfully, aside from a few shooting stars. Morning dawns, and with it, a new day, with all the promise such a day brings. Unfortunately, the pleasant morning is spoiled somewhat by having to return to the scene of battle.

galenbd
2014-04-27, 07:01 PM
Angharad gets up in her usual way. Slow stretches followed by calisthenics, then mediation and prayer.

Coli has seen this hundreds of time and wanders off to scare away breakfast. Once he returns, he waits patiently through most of it. He gets antsy near the end. Once she's done, it's time for a game of keepaway. Angharad makes sure she starts the chase away from the clearing and trail.

They return to the campfire to eat panting and sweaty. Angharad packs her bags before eating a breakfast of berries, dry bread and jerky.

Galt_Devil
2014-04-28, 05:02 PM
Waking easily, Ashlynn very briefly stretched her body out, knowing it would prevent cramps and misery later. After a short ten minutes or so, she broke her fast on dried fruit and meat, pulling on thick breeches as she ate, and adding her shin and knee guards. With her small meal gone, she then pulled on a thick undershirt, much smaller than a gambeson. One benefit to mithril was that its lightness and strength eliminated the need for such padding beneath. Then went on her mithril shirt, and tribal overshirt. Lastly, she added her bracers and stout nasal helmet, strapping her weapons on in her usual fashion, ready to move.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-28, 05:49 PM
Silk wakes as the sun strikes his eyes. Immediately aware that he is sleeping on a rock, and that the sun is much too bright, Silk gets up smoothly despite. Reaching into his magical bag, he pulls out a handful of nuts, a few strips of meat, and a ripe peach. The joys of having a magical bag that kept all of your things floating in a pocket dimension were limitless, but including such things as slower decay rates and the fact that you could toss in fruit without it getting bruised. His quick meal ended with slightly sticky hands the he brushed off onto the grass before putting on his boots and strapping his sword to his hip. Good morning my wonderful new friends: the beautiful elven ladies; my excellent woodland queen; the dashing gentle James. Did everyone sleep well? Almost ready to go track down some ruthless savages and riddle them with a vengeance so ferocious that the song of our first exploit reaches the ears of tavern wenches everywhere before we arrive?

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-01, 10:08 AM
After your morning rituals, you set off following Angharad along the trail that she discovered last night. After a few hundred yards, it gets easier to follow, to the point that even the most city-dwelling among you can see occasional signs of travel. The odd footprint in softer ground, or a bit of discarded rubbish. After an hour or so, the ground becomes steeper, more rocky, and less forested; the trees give way to scrub oak, sage brush, and various weeds and grasses. Perhaps another hour after that, the trail rounds a large boulder, and each of you can see a figure standing on a rock about 200 feet away, silhouetted against the sky. Whoever or whatever it is, the individual seems to have been making no effort to hide its presence. You're uncertain if the person has seen you yet, as there appears to be no reaction that you can see. Perhaps luck is with you.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-01, 10:17 AM
Unlimbering her shield from her back, Ashlynn readied one of her throwing axes, moving up to the head of the party. It would be better by far that her armor and shield absorb any incoming projectiles, rather than the soft flesh of some of her less combat-inclined compatriots. If no hail was given, nor any more threats seen, she would wait until she was about fifty feet away to act further, likely sending up a neutral greeting.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-01, 01:36 PM
Quickly, Angharad, tell me everything you know about these people after having been tracking them. Anything I can use as leverage in the incoming talks we might have. Everything you think might be useless information as well. Silk whispers, getting very close to the elf.

galenbd
2014-05-04, 04:11 PM
"Talks?!" hisses Angharad. "Did you see the injuries these men gave those soldiers in the glen. They are criminals and murderers. Why would you talk to them?"

darklink_shadow
2014-05-04, 04:17 PM
Are you certain? Are you truly certain? We only know that there was a fight, there was a victor and the victorious side left corpses and lost but a single man. Everything else is speculation. Regardless, if they wish to talk, talking will get you closer to them without them raining arrows upon your exquisite flesh. Something I hope to prevent.

galenbd
2014-05-04, 07:08 PM
Angharad raises her eyebrows at his questions, "I am not certain, but I'm not sure I want to risk him planting an arrow in you for my uncertainty."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-04, 07:12 PM
Silk grinned at her, I'd much rather I take the arrow than you.

D_Man_7733
2014-05-05, 03:06 AM
James

"I'm not sure how much bandits will wish to talk to us if we are seeking them out, as opposed to them attacking us for coin... at least then we might get a courteous 'your coin or your life', but I don't think we can consider the alternative an option. If you are set on it though, I might be able to offer some help in the persuasive department, otherwise I guess we can always fall back on Plan A."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-05, 03:08 PM
I'm not expecting to get invited in for tea, but we don't actually know anything about them. They might be mercenaries hired to take out a political figure. They might have been attacked and fended off that guard. They might be rebels of a rebellion we haven't even heard of yet. I'm not willing to assume they are simple bandits until they demand my coin. Besides, did you see how many they killed? What sort of bandits raid such a heavily defended mark? I'm not sure. But, yes, always be ready for Plan "Stab them." That's wise. Silk's grin turns a little hard, not happy with the morbid tone.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-05, 04:09 PM
"The posting said they were bandits. The dying man said they were bandits. They won't be doing any demanding, I say we put them at sword point, and we ask them the questions instead of waiting for a demand."
Ashlynn had listened to the debate with a perpetual scowl on her face. She didn't like her jobs complicated, but if these men weren't who they were supposed to be, she couldn't well kill them either.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-05, 05:04 PM
Silk looked absolutely rebuffed at Ashlynn. With a slow shake of his head, he frowned. Such wild leaps! The posting said to hunt bandits, not that the very next people we meet are bandits! We cannot run around assuming everyone we see is a bandit. And the last words of a dying man should be respected but not assumed to be accurate without doubt! If I were to have been gravely wounded, and about to expire, I would too claim my assailants were bandits, without properly investigating who they were. And if I was asked to kill someone lest my family be murdered, and the people proved too strong and defeated me, I would tell some fierce people to avenge my death at the hands of "bandits" and point them towards my mark. There are too many unknown variables. I'd say there is only a mere 78% chance we are tracking bandits!

D_Man_7733
2014-05-05, 05:16 PM
James begins looking around the site "Perhaps there's something here we can use to help us confirm our suspicions, it's clear that they are stronger than we expected to be able to take down a caravan of this size without casualties." Looking around for anything that might tell how well equipped the bandits who fought here were, scraps of clothing anything of the like "Angharad, can you tell anything from the tracks? And I imagine that if you were dying Silk, I don't think you could help but embellish the 'bandits' a little more than that, just to tell one last story before your gone." Giving a smile to silk to show that he means no harm by his remark, still a little unsure of whether Silk would be the kind to take offense, he continues searching his general area.

[roll0]

darklink_shadow
2014-05-05, 05:21 PM
Silk's grin returns with a vengeance as he pat's the other man's shoulders. If I have one last chance to tell a tale, with it being the one of my death, a holy battle of angels and demons shall be the one that ends me. With the bandits being a militant cult of Asmodeus, who have been weakened by the victory we tore from the great battle in the sky. I would urge them to slay the demon worshipers quickly before they regained their power.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-05, 05:51 PM
Shaking her head, Ashlynn gave a grunt.
"Like I said. I'm happy to question them. But I'd rather not give them the drop on us and wait to see what happens. If they're kind-hearted rebels or misunderstood woodsmen, we'll let them on their merry way."

galenbd
2014-05-06, 08:24 AM
Angharad shakes her head. "I think talking to them is a bad idea. They are soldiers. They carry themselves with efficiency, and without care to the tracks they are leaving. Someone is cleaning up after them, but they are not very good. They are unlikely to listen to reason. There must be a reason they are here instead of serving as mercenaries as their training indicates."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-06, 01:01 PM
There is a reason, no doubt, but I'd like to know the reason. Unless your plan is to ambush them, or sneak in and kill them at night, I don't see what we lose by talking a little first. And I see much to be gained. But if you can try to take a prisoner, at least, maybe we can convince him to tell us what we should want to know. Although, we might just find out that these are the bandits we seek, and that someone has militarized the banditry.

galenbd
2014-05-06, 01:25 PM
"I have a spell that will cause the plants to entrap. However, it will not prevent him from raising an alarm. If we want to know what's going on, I suggest we ambush a small group away from the camp."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-12, 11:30 PM
Angharad and her companion stay behind the boulder where the party first spotted the lookout, along with Feavas. The other three sneak towards the lookout. Either this human is the worst lookout in the history of lookouts, or luck is with the party, as you manage to get within a few yards of the scout without his noticing your presence. At this point, there's no further cover between where the three of you huddle among the rocks and where he's standing, his back to you.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-13, 11:34 AM
Shushing the other members of the party, Ashlynn crept forward. Her intent was to reach the man, as silently as she could, cover his mouth and wrench him to the ground.

Move silently:
Attack: [roll]1d20++10

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-14, 10:20 AM
Ashlynn manages to get her arms around the human lookout and a hand around the fellow's mouth before he even has a moment to react. He lets out some belated muffled yells, but they don't carry even as far as where Angharad and Feavas are lying in wait. Despite his struggles, he's unable to break loose from Ashlynn's iron-grip. The fellow is thin, with thick black hair, and, on closer inspection, perhaps a touch of demon in his ancestry. He might be a tiefling instead of a mere human, although it's hard to say for certain in his specific case.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-14, 01:56 PM
Snarling at the man to be silent, Ashlynn dragged him quickly back to the cover where her comrades lay in wait. Once there, she informed him, in no uncertain terms, that if he made so much as a peep that she didn't ask for, he would find himself quite dead. After asking if he understood, were he to confirm such, she would release him from her grip, shoving him to the ground to begin binding him with some of the rope from her pack.

Use rope: [roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-15, 10:20 AM
The fellow goes limp and stops resisting as Ashlynn drags him back under cover and ties him up. He reeks of alcohol, although he doesn't appear particularly drunk. 'Seedy' would describe him well. When asked if he understands he's too remain quiet, he nods assent.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-17, 06:24 PM
Silk draws his rapier, and holds the blade pointed down. Hello friend. We've just come to have a quick chat and see what your motley crew is all about. Now, in a moment you're going to be able to speak freely, but if you say something just a little too loudly, I am going to stab you through your neck. Blood will rush to the wound and then find it's way down your throat and into your lungs and you'll gag and flail and drown in your own blood. So, let's keep our tones civil and our voices low, eh friend?

Silk points his rapier up at the man, letting it rest in the soft place above his sternum and between the knobs of his clavicle. Now, tell me all about your organization. Don't skimp out on the details of why and how you killed all those men yesterday.

[roll0] Intimidate. This is actually a social skill I haven't put ranks into. If someone has better than +6, I'd rather they roll it and use this as an aid other check. Also note: Circumstance bonuses?
But, [roll1] Diplomacy.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-17, 06:32 PM
"I suggest you listen to the man." Ashlynn said, looming over the bound bandit, an axe in each hand. She laid one gently below his chin, forcing him to look up and make eye contact with her. Her usually lovely green eyes had hardened and glinted like dagger points.
"Because if you don't listen to my friend Silk here, he's going to let me have you."
She leaned in very close, so the man had nowhere else to look, and could smell her feigned desire to rip his arms off.

Although I'd be happy to take that twenty, as my old group used to say; "Metagame knowledge is forbidden knowledge" and Ashlynn's intimidate is one point higher.
[roll0] not counting the aid another or circumstance bonuses.

galenbd
2014-05-17, 07:32 PM
Angharad was surprised at how quickly they had a captive. Once they have him back , she heads up to his watch position, keeping low. Once in position, she slowly raises her head to look around.

[roll0]

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-17, 09:01 PM
The man seems resigned to his captivity, and although he is decidedly nervous his voice is calm as he responds, quietly. "I would never presume to do anything that would cause you to cut holes in me. But that leaves the question of what you'll do to me after I talk. I'll tell you anything you want to know, provided you let me go free once this is all said and done. No need for any threats or killing. Just a simple promise that I come away with my life, and you get all the answers you want. Rather a bargain, really."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-17, 09:18 PM
Silk chuckles at the man's bravo, despite the hint of fear betrayed in his voice. You'll find my comrades are resigned to a foolish notion of honor. But they also won't be too haughty with me if I cut you down. Here is my problem with your proposed promise: loopholes. I can tell you, if you tell us enough, we'll leave you tied up here, and maybe even check up on you to untie you later. If you tell me you're all men of the cloth, here to deliver flowers to orphans, your proposed promise has me sparing you. Let me assure you, if I don't get quality information, in promising quantity, I'll kill you. I'm an amoral man.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-19, 02:56 PM
The man shrugs slightly, turns his bound hands palm-upward in a sort of helpless shrug, "It's not much assurance you give me there. I don't doubt you'll kill me if you don't like what you hear, but you're telling me to give away the information I have without a promise of getting let go in return. I know things you want to know, things people would-- and have-- paid good money for, and I only want my life. I swear to be completely honest and forthright, if you promise, in exchange, to let me go. No tricks on my part. No lies, no games. Just promise to not kill me. Is that too much to ask? Leaving me helpless in the woods saying you might come back to free me isn't convincing enough of a bargain to give away the only bargaining chip I have. I'm sure you see my position. Whether you agree with it or not," he trails off for a second or two, "well, I can't speak to that."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-19, 03:58 PM
Silk chuckled again. You're clever. But that's what I am afraid of you see. If you promise no games and no lies, I can promise the same. I don't care if you live or die. But if I promise you live, then I've already promised to not kill you. And what if after I make my promise, you lie? I won't play that game. Which is why I can only promise to be as fair to you as you deserve. Play no tricks on me, and I'll play no tricks on you. Tell me what I want to know, and you'll live. Deceive me and you'll die. If you do a third option, I reserve the right to react as I see is fair. I am a man of my word, which is why I am loath to give it to you, without any anti-loophole clauses. However, we can't exactly let you walk off free either, lest you return to your people and warn them. I'm sure you understand, stealth and intel is all we have on them. We can't give either up. But, you seem clever enough to me. I will come back for you, or send your people to collect you if we leave you behind. And I will leave you alive, if I feel you have been forthright and helpful. Those two things you can consider facts. Well, unless I die. Then I can't promise to return or send word. But with my dying breathes, I'll try to tell them. I always keep my word.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-19, 05:23 PM
"I guess that's reasonable." Apparently satisfied that he won't be slain the moment he's done speaking, he considers that matter settled. He shifts position to be a little more comfortable, settling in for what he expects will be a long interrogation. "You'll have to be more precise in your questions, but to get you started: you can call me Zeb. I, and my compatriots, are all former members of the Iron Helm, and we've been looking for that weapon your large lady-friend there has strapped to her hip. The bandit raids have been largely cover to keep our true objective hidden, and ally suspicion. The group that was carrying it, was a band of Golden Hand mercenaries under the direction of one Morgan, a member of the Hand's ruling council, but if anyone can really lay claim to that sword, it's us. It belonged to the Helm before the Dominion collapsed. Not sure how they ended up with it, but we want it and the others like it back. That enough of a starting point?"

darklink_shadow
2014-05-19, 05:39 PM
With a wide grin, he gestured at the man. Is that not what I told you I expected? He asked his team members, sparing a moment to wink slyly at Ashlynn. The sword is the key. The key to what, though, my friend? And how many more are there out there like it?

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-20, 03:24 PM
"It's a key to the Iron Helm's main vault. There are eight. And you need all of them to open the vault."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-20, 03:52 PM
Silk rubbed his chin and lower lip with his off hand, then lowered his weapon and took a step back. I see. I need to speak with Ashlynn without your prying ears. Rest assured, though, I trust this good man here, Silk patted James' shoulder, and our lovely elves to keep you company. Or strike viciously, if you step out of line.

Silk put a hand on Ashlynn's shoulder, and pushed gently to urge her away from the man. Speaking readily before out of ear shot, but whispering so that by the time he is done speaking, he is probably out of hearing range, down the ways quite a ways. Ashlynn, I think that sword truly belongs to these people. I think the proper and lawful thing to do is return it to them. They might be a rather nasty lot, but they seem to be doing what they feel is right. We just need to find the wanted man and go. And the people they butchered sound like thieves. But it's up to you what you want to do. By some rights, it's your sword and I do not claim to be the leader of our band. Perhaps our spokesman, but a leader should be both strong and beautiful, not just incredibly and awe-inspiringly handsome. So, I leave the decision to you, and I'll support it. Unless new information changes my mind. Maybe we can bargain the sword for help finding the man, or even the man himself.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-20, 04:20 PM
Ashlynn gave a sideways jerk of her head.
"I don't care who the law says it belongs to--These men are outlaws, and they were barely better before they were outlaws. I don't feel any sting about keeping the blade from them, and I won't feel any sting for carrying out our mission."
Her jaw was set firmly and her arms crossed.
"We keep interrogating this one for troop movements and locations, but the sword stays with us."

darklink_shadow
2014-05-20, 04:27 PM
Silk smiled with a nod, happy to see Ashlynn so sure of her stance. That meant Silk was free to not have to make moral decisions. Very well!

Moving back to the man, he re-raised his blade. Talk. Ramble. Just tell me things about your group. Tell me about the swords. About the long lost treasure of the Iron-Helms. About the girl you fancy. About this man. Silk produces a wanted poster of the man they are after. Just give me information you think I might want to know, and some you think I might not care about. So far you've not told me a thing I didn't already know. I'm really trying to help you keep your end of the bargain.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-22, 05:49 PM
"Some of what you're asking about is above my pay-grade. I don't have any idea what's in the vault. Nor does Shyar, or if he does, he ain't told me about it. Shyar's a junior officer-- or was, I guess, now-- in the Helm, back in the war days, and over my old unit. He cooked up this scheme to get into the vault and take whatever was inside and sell it. We were to all get a cut, based on our rank back then. I know there're eight sword-keys, and the real high-ups all had one, so it took all of 'em together to open the vault, and Shyar has ideas on where some of them might be. He also said that some of the Golden Hand people want to get their hands on 'em. They want to bank whatever's in their in their own vaults. I hear there're some schisms happening among them banker council leaders and they aren't all getting on, and getting their hands on the contents would make 'em look better to their counterparts. Shyar's got eighty men working under him right now, and he's smart enough to make his searching for that sword look like random bandit attacks, so no-one's been the wiser to what's going on. Although, I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever see a lick o' cash from him, so I'm not going to be all that bothered if you go and off him-- provided you let me go of course. Especially if you go in after him right now. He's got most of us out looking for that Hand guy who got away-- that I guess you found. Unless some of the others have come back already, there's only 8 men up there right now, plus Shyar. Let's see, what else... Oh, right. Those swords are magical, but I haven't been told much about what they do, although I know one of 'em is real good at cutting through stone. I seen it used myself once. Cut out the stone fortifications around an Imperial outpost during the war so we could bypass the defenses and attack. Cut through it like a knife through butter." He looks to see if there's anything else Silk wants to know.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-22, 06:02 PM
That was a good ramble. Silk said, scratching his cheek. I couldn't really expect too much more from you. I'd say that was worth 10 silvers worth of information, and so you've bought her head back from us. Now, go on. Get up. Don't come back here though, because if I see you again, we'll repeat this process again and I doubt you have another 10 silver's worth of information. And trust me, you being there won't tip the scales. Ashlynn by herself can handle 6 men in a straight fight without aid, and we plan to sneak up on them. If you try to warn them, you'll just end up with your body in a field and your head on a pike over on wall of some crappy little city. Much better for you if you take up mercenary work, or something.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-23, 09:57 AM
Zeb appears quite relieved when you cut him loose. He stops long enough to pick up a pack and a wineskin from the shelter of a rock before turning back around and giving somewhat circuitous directions to the campsite. "If you follow that trail, you'll be able to sneak up on them. And no offense, but I hope we never meet again. So long." He then flees into the woods back the direction you came from.

Galt_Devil
2014-05-24, 08:18 AM
"Eight men, and a chance to sneak up on them? I say we move as fast as possible, with how many are in his band we won't get a better chance."
Ashlynn stood, whistling a signal to the rest of the members of the party, quickly asking each of them to make sure they all agreed.

D_Man_7733
2014-05-24, 07:48 PM
Chuckling to himself James approaches Silk, "And here I thought you were just a storyteller." Watching Zeb run off into the forest he continues. "If your skill with your rapier is half as good as your skill with words, I don't think we're going to have a problem."

Propping himself up on a tree, James waits for the rest of the party to arrive.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-24, 08:48 PM
Silk smiled back. It's not. I hardly know my way around the thing, to be honest. Silk looked at his rapier, and swung it lazily. I am just a story teller. The thing is though, to tell a good lie, and to tell a good story require the same sort of skills; most stories have a dash of lies in them anyways.

galenbd
2014-05-25, 07:05 PM
Hearing Ashlynn's whistle, Angharad abandons her watch post and heads back over to the rest of the group. "Letting him go seems like a good sign. Can we convince them all to leave so easily?"

Galt_Devil
2014-05-26, 01:48 PM
"I doubt it."
Ashlynn said, chagrined.
"He fled to save his life, because we had him tied and he had information for us. The rest, I think, will not be so easily persuaded."
Snatching up some of her dropped gear, she looked off into the distance, waiting for the rest of the party.
"Gods willing, we can end this today. Their leader has only eight men in camp with him. That force shouldn't be out of our abilities to defeat."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-05-29, 08:49 AM
The route laid out by Zeb is definitely the long way around, but it seems he's kept true to his word as you've not seen sign of another lookout or bandit in your half-hour trek. As you round an outcropping, you can see a group of men standing around a bound figure. A quick count gives you 10 bandit-soldiers, not 8. Presumably 2 of them have arrived in the meantime, perhaps with the prisoner, as they look ready to start an interrogation by torture. Several irons are heating up in the camp's fire.

{OOC: At this point, you can either attempt to listen in, or you can choose to launch your assault. If you decide to attack, you get a surprise round worth of actions, which you can post at the same time you roll your initiative.}

darklink_shadow
2014-05-29, 09:51 PM
Silk gestured towards the targets. Get ready... On Ashlynn's mark, we go.

FRA: Ready Action: Start Bardic Performance: Inspire Courage 1
Trigger: Any ally breaks cover.

galenbd
2014-05-30, 02:52 PM
Angharad sets her bow down near her and starts chanting. Looking out over the camp, she centers it to the left so the edge ends up five feet from the campfire. Can't set the camp on fire now can we.

Move action - set down bow
Standard Action - cast Entangle centered at R15

D_Man_7733
2014-06-01, 03:32 AM
AC: 21+2 HP: 33
Barely noticing everyone getting ready for a fight, James is slightly caught off guard when Ashlynn begins her charge. Responding he follows her lead to rush the enemy, gaining a supernatural speed as he approaches the bandits. Drawing his rapier and striking in the same fluid motion when he reaches enemy 5, keeping his eyes out for any attacks that might come his way.

Swift action: Arcane Stunt: Expeditious Retreat, +30ft movement. (5 uses left for today)
Free action: Quick Draw, masterwork rapier
Move action: J-14
Using Combat Expertise: -2 Attack, +2 AC (new AC: 23)

Attacking Enemy 5: [roll0] Crits on 25-27
Damage: [roll1]

Critical Confirm: [roll2]
if Crit: Damage x2

Galt_Devil
2014-06-01, 07:31 AM
Barely giving a jerk of her head to her friends, Ashlynn drew her blade and flung herself into the fray. Her shield would likely come up soon, but a dead foe couldn't take advantage of her lack of guard. Once she had cleared half the distance to her first enemy, she let out a mighty roar, raising her blade high into the air and bringing it down in a brutal arc, her face a twisted maw of rage, brought up from days past to lend her strength.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-06-03, 11:40 PM
Surprise Round

Initiative:
20 - Silk
18 - Ashlynn
12 - Feavas
11 - James
9 - Bad Guys
6 - Angharad & Companion

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/darkladyofthesith/PbP/Combat2.png

As Ashlynn charges into battle, Silk breaks the silence with a jaunty battle tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5j43EIdlc). The mood set by the tune is somewhat soured by the sight of a head flying into the middle of the clustered group of bandits, nearly hitting the leader (#0) who looks up startled to see one of his men collapsing headless to the group with an angry Ashlynn glaring over the fallen corpse. Feavas says a prayer to Teria and boosts the morale of her comrades in arms {OOC: Casting Bless} +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects. As James also charges into the fray and runs his opponent through the leg, badly wounding, but not killing his foe. Angharad's spell causes the grass and weeds to swirl around the legs of their foes as well as James {OOC: I'll need a reflex save from James}, although it's too soon to tell how many of the enemy are ensnared in the writhing plants.

{OOC: Round 1 ahead. Actions do not need to be performed in order, although I would understand if galen wants to wait until the bad guys react}

darklink_shadow
2014-06-04, 12:32 AM
Silk continued his chanting, and advanced forward.

Double move -> K6 -> N10

Galt_Devil
2014-06-04, 08:57 AM
Stepping lightly over the corpse of her fallen foe, Ashlynn huffed out a heavy breath through her nose, stomping to her next enemy, lashing out with her blade, opening with a lunge and then swinging the sword in a hard, sideways arc.

Move to K18, attack at full power attack again.
AC: 15

[roll0]
[roll1]

galenbd
2014-06-04, 06:48 PM
Satisfied that she's done her part to help everyone out, Angharad readies her bow. She calls soothing words to Coli to keep him from charging the man she intends to shoot. She draws back an arrow and lets fly.

Move Action - Ready weapon
Standard Action - Shoot bow at #2

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

D_Man_7733
2014-06-06, 08:16 AM
HP: 33 AC: 21+2

Continuing on target, James keeps up his defensive assault, striking at openings in his foes defense, and making sure to keep himself protected until more of the group got close and he could put full attention on his offense.

Using Combat Expertise: -2 Attack, +2 AC (new AC: 23)

Attacking Enemy 5: [roll0] Crits on 25-27

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-06-11, 08:49 PM
Round 1

20 - Silk
18 - Ashlynn
12 - Feavas
11 - James
9 - Bad Guys
6 - Angharad & Companion

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/darkladyofthesith/PbP/Combat3.png

Silk keeps up his song as he closes on the battle while Ashlynn decapitates another foe with a violent swing of fury. Feavas casts a spell on Shyar, although it's effect is not immediately obvious. James's opponent deflects the blow swung at him off of his armored arm, and counters with a swung sword. Due to either injury or the effort of blocking James's thrust, the counter-attack goes wide, however, and James doesn't even need to dodge it. Two of the other bandits (#s 2 and 3) draw bows and fire at Ashlynn. One arrow connects, however Ashlynn barely feels the arrowhead pierce her arm. The druid Angharad's shot at a bandit goes wide, and although he looks like he considers taunting Ashlynn, he keeps his mouth shut, given how badly he missed Ashlynn.

Need a reflex save from Silk if he continues to move. Anyone else entering the green circle of Ensnare also will need to make a save.
Ashlynn takes 1 damage.
Yellow enemies are dead. Pinkish-purple enemies are Entangled.

darklink_shadow
2014-06-11, 11:37 PM
I'm lost what I wrote five times now. Every time I am nearly done, the page freezes.

So,

Shooting a bow at E6.
[roll0]+1
[roll1]+1

forgot I was singing.

D_Man_7733
2014-06-12, 08:45 AM
HP: 33 AC: 21

Smiling as the bandit's swing goes wide, James stares him in the eyes as he thrusts with as much precision he can manae. "Sorry, but that was your last chance at survival."

Attacking Enemy 5: [roll0] Crits on 27-29

galenbd
2014-06-12, 01:55 PM
Another man is closer to the edge of the twisting entangling grasses. Sure to be a target once he gets out, Angharad fires an arrow at him.

Standard Action - fire arrow at #5[roll0] Damage [roll1]
Move Action - none

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-06-24, 10:58 PM
{OOC: My computer with my map-making software crashed over the weekend, and my quick attempts to fix it were unsuccessful, so I'm just going to fast-forward the rest of the combat and get us back on track. If any of you know of some good online sites for map making for these things, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll have to fake it for a bit until I get the system working again, or buy a newer version of Visio that works with Windows 7.}

The fight was bloody, fierce, and, largely thanks to the brutal assault of Ashlynn, short. Shyar put up more of a fight, than his men, refusing to surrender to the last, and was eventually felled with an arrow from Angharad. Feavas heals the wounds of her companions and you're able to get a look at the captive. The elf is bloodied and battered, but alive and conscious, although one eye has swollen shut. He's dressed in a tattered uniform of the Golden Hand; before the rough treatment, the silk and velvet tunic must have been fine indeed. He reacts with suspicion as the five of you approach him, and waits for someone else to speak before speaking himself.

darklink_shadow
2014-06-24, 11:45 PM
{OOC: Our mark should be unconscious and not dead though, since dead is -10 and sleeping is 0}

Silk ended his song the exact minute the arrow downed their mark with a crescendo and a sudden drop. Battle of The 8th Bridge, by Silk, Bard of Cynosure Corps. You, my fine elven friend have the good fortune to be rescued by the apex of heroes, the pinnacle of legends, the paragons of triumph. But please, don't canonize yet, or shower us with benediction. We have yet to fully secure your rescue. No, your praise will be much appreciated after we've found your keepers and bequeathed you into their hands for safekeeping. So then, tell us, who are you, and where can we find your master, sir Golden Hand?

galenbd
2014-06-25, 04:49 PM
Aware of the problems with foes playing dead, Angharad makes her way around to each prone bandit. Dagger in hand, she reaches under each one's jaw for the painful pressure point there. Her mild pinch on such a sensitive place should have any fakers clawing for the sky.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-06-26, 12:01 AM
"I'm Baron Florian Festa. And I'll be happy to answer your questions, as soon as I'm a little more comfortable." He gestures with his bound hands. "If you would be so kind as to untie me?"

Angharad finds a couple of unconscious men (including Shyar) on the verge of bleeding out, but no one faking.

{OOC: darklink, you're correct; I just don't usually differentiate between 'dead' (-10) and 'dying' (-1 through -9) unless someone considers it important for some reason.}

darklink_shadow
2014-06-26, 12:18 AM
[roll0] Knowledge Local To know this "baron" and stuff about him.

D_Man_7733
2014-06-26, 08:48 AM
Reviewing the situation as his companions calmly deal in their respective fields, James keeps an ear out to Silk's conversation as he searches the rest of the immediate vicinity, for any chests or storage containers that could contain stolen goods or valuables, not venturing too far from the rest of the group.

Baron Florian Festa... sounds familiar. Assuming he can place the name, James will return to Silk and Florian. Otherwise, he continues his search.

Search: [roll0]

Knowledge (Nobility): [roll1]
Knowledge (Local): [roll2]
whichever would be more relevant.

galenbd
2014-06-26, 11:40 AM
Angharad binds the wounds of the few she finds just mostly dead including Shyar. We can always kill them later. She is not yet willing to spend healing efforts on them until she knows what the plan.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-07-07, 09:57 PM
{OOC: Not sure what happened to darklink, so....}

Silk cuts the elf free as he requested, and he sits on a nearby rock, rubbing the life back into his hands. "Much better, thank you. I was asked by my superior, Lord Ker, to track down a group of our soldiers traveling along this highway. I was taken unawares by these bandits from whom you've liberated me, and I thank you for your assistance. Perhaps I could reward your good deed in some fashion? Coin, perhaps? Or would you prefer some other form of payment?"

darklink_shadow
2014-07-08, 01:29 AM
I... I forgot. Sorry. Been... hectic. Just started a new job.

Silk smiled and shook his head. I always wonder how much a man thinks his life is worth once saved. Tell me then, how much would you weigh against your salvation? I suppose as epic heroes should get used such things.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-07-09, 05:08 PM
"Would 500 gold suffice?" the baron asks. "I'm afraid I don't have more than that with me."

darklink_shadow
2014-07-09, 11:03 PM
Silk raised his eyebrows and his shoulders with a look that said clearly "I don't know, will it?" He dropped the pose almost immediately and looked at the downed bandits. Having been thoroughly defeated, and being a man of obvious honor, I will assume you put up enough of a fight to be injured. It would be wrong of us not to escort you at least to the nearest town. Presently we are headed towards Shaerlorne. How convenient it is for us to run across bandits waylaying gentlemen such as yourself.

Silk snapped his finger with sudden enthusiasm. Like the warriors of old, we who would be legend sweep by and slay all who would join the ranks of the nefarious villains who terrorize the humble and frail! As our foes lay defeated, only then do our minds recollect the whisperings of doves that sing to us tidings of honors that would be bestowed upon us for our triumphs! Hark, companions! Silk turns to look at his party. The wounded will be kept alive and brought to justice! The dead will be robbed of their empty heads in so that their failed attempts at wretchedness can be recalled! The city of Shaerlorne calls for piked heads to ward away the foolish notions that the wicked fall prey to: the notions that banditry and strife are lines of work that can be accepted!

In addition to whatever you see is fair to give, each of these bandits will their best to us. The courageous and venerable, yet few who live to serve and protect the people of Shaerlorne will rejoice that we bring their bandits in for them. Silk coughed and cleared his throat. That is to say, I've just remembered, there is a bounty on these bandits. Once we have turned in those who live to see the sunrise must be brought in. Afterwards, if you are still are the befouled with the trauma of abrasion, laceration or fragmentation, I am sure we would be happy to escort you to your master.

James? I see you searching. Have you spotted a mode by which we might ensnare our new captives? I would prefer if they awoke tightly bound and arrived fatigued to our destination. Perhaps.... rope?

galenbd
2014-07-10, 10:55 AM
Angaharad waits patiently for the Silk to wind down. Luckily he is not elven or they would be here for much longer.

When he talks about marching the prisoners to Shaerlorne, she speaks up, "You are seriously deluded if you think these men will be walking anywhere for some number of days. That one has a punctured lung. This one has a significant head injury and may never wake up. Shylar actually has the best chance of being up and around. He was good enough that he kept himself from major organ damage. He fell due to blood loss. With the horse chestnut poultice, he'll come around pretty quick. We're going to need litters or carts."

darklink_shadow
2014-07-10, 12:24 PM
Silk shrugged. Their heads are coming tonight. It's up to them if their bodies come to. If we kill them now, or lead them to the city to be executed, what's the difference? These are dead men. I think it would be cruel to prolong this for them. The one with the punctured lung, even if he manages to recover from such an injury, he'll be in a lot of pain during the week he has left to life. Why not give him a merciful death and move on with our lives? Even if these are villains through and though, I do not believe it is righteous of us to prolong their suffering for the piece of mind it would give the people to get to watch an execution. Nor do I think it is fair to make them suffer unduly simply because a few among us quake at the idea of having to be an executioner. Shylar's execution will have to be enough for the people if he is the only one who can walk.

Silk let his eyes meet each of his new party's member's eyes. But I am no tyrant, if it goes to vote and I am bereft of popular approval, I will surrender my position. It would be awfully cruel to give them back just enough life to drag them to a city to die though. Better to have the honor of death in the field, even if they are honorless people. But you write the lyrics to your stories, I will just sing them. But I think your choices now will flavor your entire song. The beginning always sets a mood that is not easily shaken.

galenbd
2014-07-10, 02:20 PM
Angharad shakes her head at Silk's callousness. "The guard captain said we wouldn't get paid if Shyar dies. He also wanted the other men to return for trial. There's some reason for his interest."

D_Man_7733
2014-07-11, 08:54 AM
Reaching into his cloak, James offers his rope.

"I couldn't find any left around, but I did bring some with me. First thing we should do is tie Shylar up so that he can't get away when he comes to. As for the injuries of the others, I have a few healing potions that might give them the strength to get back to town for their trial, but all but Shylar are wanted dead or alive. If they can walk then I see no reason not to take them for their trial, but for the rest, a killing them might be for the best if the extra 50 silver is that important, Shylar is the important one here."

galenbd
2014-07-11, 10:15 PM
Angharad squints at the idea of spending potions on the condemned. She suggests, "With the threat of the bandits gone, someone could run back to town and bring a cart without fear. Some can guard the prisoners while others go back."

darklink_shadow
2014-07-13, 12:48 AM
Silk frowned at the elf for a moment. Why are you so earnest in dragging these men to their deaths? Why does it matter so much to you where they die? It's easier on them to just be finished, and it's easier on us to just finish it. Silk sighed with annoyance. I don't get some people's morality... it's just not logical.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-07-13, 10:50 AM
The baron largely seems content to let the five of you sort out your own feelings on the matter, however he does interject one comment. "If it matters to your discussion, I was traveling in a carriage. When I was forcibly removed from it, it was still serviceable; although they couldn't get it up here, obviously, I expect it's still somewhere between here and the road. The driver is dead, however," he concludes with a sorrowful tone.

darklink_shadow
2014-07-13, 05:16 PM
Silk gives the baron an annoyed look. Any other assets that would drastically alter our conditions you want to share with us?

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-07-13, 10:05 PM
"Nothing comes to mind. Although you'll be the first to know if I think of something else important."

galenbd
2014-07-15, 01:24 PM
Angharad smiles to herself about Silk's lack of compassion. She stands up and moves her pack away from Shyar. "Coli and I should be able to find it quick."

She turns and walks toward the road. Coli promptly gets up and trots after her. Once away from the camp, Angharad whispers words of communion with the trees to herself and her stride extends to a lope. Looking out toward the terrain, she chooses the most likely direction to move a carriage through and runs that way.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2014-07-16, 08:06 PM
It takes Angharad about 10 minutes to find the carriage, with the horse team still tied to it. It's guarded by a single bandit, and he hasn't seen the druid yet.

galenbd
2014-07-19, 08:41 PM
Angharad settles behind a tree and retrieves her bow. She signals down to Coli to ensure he stays out of sight. Then she slowly and quietly strings her bow. She nocks an arrow and turns slowly out of cover. Drawing it back, she lets fly.

To Hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]