PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A /How do you acquire exalted/vile spells?

CyberThread
2014-04-07, 11:32 AM
They seem to be very phinky and unclear atlest to myself.

how does one get exalted and vile spells access?

eggynack
2014-04-07, 11:42 AM
You just be a prepared caster, and there ya are. Sanctified spells can only be cast by non-evil characters, and corrupt spells can be cast by anyone, though they still face the ordinary issues that evil spells do (so a good cleric can't cast a corrupt spell, but a good wizard technically can). So, that's pretty much it. You prepare the spell, and you cast the spell, and if there's any sort of separate requirement or issue, the spell's text will say as much.

Yawgmoth
2014-04-07, 02:45 PM
By the book, the spells just exist and you just know them or know of them in the same way you prepare/cast any other spells. I am a fan of having players discover them through in-game actions, but RAW there's no "questing" requirement.

Red Fel
2014-04-07, 03:38 PM
As others have mentioned, there's no RAW requirements of which I'm aware, other than alignment, for learning and using Exalted or Vile spells. In my mind, however, there should be an RP requirement. Because being Exalted usually means drawing the attention of the Upper Planes, and being Vile usually entails acquiring a Lower Patron, it makes sense in my mind to either (1) have these things in place before you start acquiring the relevant spells, or (2) have worked out with the DM a plan for these spells to be the stepping stones (in a temptation-sort-of-way) towards acquiring such a patron. But that's more a fluff thing than a crunch thing.