PDA

View Full Version : How would you optimize disarming?

Particle_Man
2014-04-07, 01:07 PM
I see the occasional tripper build, but not many disarming ones.

So how would one make a character that is very, very good at disarming their foes? Assume 3.5 Wotc books are allowed (but not dragon magazine or 3rd party sources).

FullStop
2014-04-07, 01:15 PM
I think you don't see a lot of people using disarm as their primary schtick because there's just so many potential enemies that don't fight in a configuration that can be disarmed (spells, natural weapons, what have you). That said I expect a good start is some source of getting bigger, because to my recollection that works on the majority of the PHB combat maneuvers.

Deadline
2014-04-07, 01:25 PM
Master Du from ICXLVI (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15484098&postcount=331) did a pretty fine job of it, and with an awful ingredient as well. There were some others there that really looked into the alternative combat maneuvers.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-07, 01:32 PM
Be a fourth level monk/fighter character in an urban game? Seriously that is about the sweet spot. Passive way grants you improved trip and combat expertise without int prereqs. Fighter rounds you out with power attack and improved disarm. Wield a quarterstaff and trip/disarm followed with a power attack AOO when they attempt to stand / get away / draw another weapon.

Mountain
2014-04-07, 01:42 PM
Two-weapon fighting with Kusari-gamas (DMG).

Be a factotum to add INT and STR to disarm checks.

Dip cleric for the competition domain (SPC) to add a bonus on opposed checks.

Obviously you'll want Improved Disarm (PHB).

gorfnab
2014-04-07, 05:51 PM
Shadowcasters can get a mystery called Umbral Fist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) which allows them to make disarm attempts at range using their CL instead of BAB and Int or Cha mod instead of Str. Here is a build that is based upon that mystery. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233539-Factotum-Shadow-Jedi-Curious-Build&p=12785909#post12785909)

NoACWarrior
2014-04-07, 06:01 PM
You could simply use stuns - a it forces creatures to drop anything held. Its a poor method to disarm in most attempts since it allows for a fort save, and the creatures you fight to disarm are likely fighter types with good fort saves. One benefit is that it works regardless of how much larger the opponent is or how high their BA / Dex / Str is and even forces foes with multiple arms or those wielding more than 1 item to drop everything with 1 failed save. Stunning can also be pumped pretty high if its from stunning fist.

Once, when a stunning enhanced monk was playing the DM changed all the NPCs to have locked gauntlets so that even spell casters wouldn't drop their stuff.

Gnaeus
2014-04-07, 06:14 PM
I would write into my backstory a bunch of major campaign long enemies of types that use weapons. Something like how I have to recover my father's remains from the pirates of Klar to get the family heirloom sword, then hunt down the evil team of mercenaries who slew him, who have now spread to be leaders of various mercenary bands and assassins guilds all over X.

Your feat is now optimized through at least level 12.

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 06:19 PM
Once, when a stunning enhanced monk was playing the DM changed all the NPCs to have locked gauntlets so that even spell casters wouldn't drop their stuff.

Of course, a spellcaster with a locked gauntlet can't fish around for materials or make somatic components effectively, so that kind of negates the point of giving them the gauntlets.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-07, 06:26 PM
Of course, a spellcaster with a locked gauntlet can't fish around for materials or make somatic components effectively, so that kind of negates the point of giving them the gauntlets.

This is true, but the DM just houserulled that the locked gauntlets would lock if the NPC spent a move action or something. It was a pretty stupid time though, because the DM felt the monk was a bit too powerful while stunning NPCs (he really should have sent monsters immune to stunning after us at that point).

Particle_Man
2014-04-08, 04:34 PM
So how do you pump the stunning fist of the monk? I guess Ability Focus in Monster Manual for starters?

Techwarrior
2014-04-08, 04:42 PM
Once you can access 2nd level Maneuvers, a dip into Warblade provides access to Disarming Strike, granting another +4 bonus to the attempt above and beyond Improved Disarm and allows you to deal damage first, and then attempt to disarm.

A Tad Insane
2014-04-08, 05:06 PM
See if your dm lets you use a vorpal weapon for arms instead of heads, then go crit-fishing

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-08, 05:14 PM
Cast Fell Drain/Frighten Heat/Chill Metal on their weapon. It wouldn't be worth hanging onto it.
Anything that stuns an opponent makes them drop everything they're holding.

For traditional roll vs roll disarm combat actions, high BAB, a high attack bonus, and anything that can add to that (increase size) or debuff opponents' rolls will contribute to that. Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) 3 or 4 would be decent for Dexterous Attack. Conditions like Shaken, Sickened, Fatigued/Exhausted, Entangled, etc. can debuff an opponent's checks vs disarm.

Azoth
2014-04-08, 06:21 PM
Just gonna leave this here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6210.0

NoACWarrior
2014-04-08, 07:20 PM
So how do you pump the stunning fist of the monk? I guess Ability Focus in Monster Manual for starters?

Ability Focus (some DMs won't let you take it), Fist of the heavens +2 vs evil (BoED must be non-evil or good), Falling Sun Attack +1 (ToB must have setting sun manuvers), Vow of Non-violence +4 so long as you do nonlethal damage (BoED must be good), Sapphire Fist +1 to +5 (MoI use essentia, take another feat to make additional +1).

Forgot improved stunning fist isn't operational until epic levels.

Assuming a character level of 12 and all the above feats with thier prerequisites you have 10 + 6 character level derived + Wis mod (probably +6) + 2 ability focus + 2 fist of the heavens + 1 falling sun + 4 vow + 4 sapphire fist = DC 35 with a lot of restrictions. But hey you want to play monk right, so thats ok, you live restricted anyways.