PDA

View Full Version : EMPIRES! The Heartwaste Conference

Lord_Burch
2014-04-07, 01:18 PM
OOC Note: This is a private thread between myself, QuintonBeck, Silvertbit, Rain Dragon, and Morph Bark. Any other players, please do not read past this note. For anyone interested, you can find our OOC thread in World-Building sub-forum!

A private room in a tower of Eagle's Keep, overlooking the city of Arissyeux. Opposite the structure, on the far side of the city, a second, crumbling tower rises to about the height of this one.

I have invited you here to discuss the situation in the Heartwaste. Princess Valineth seeks to reclaim the throne of the Heartwaste, and has come to me to do so. I have invited the Razdissi as representatives of Eyrecradia, and of the Dawn League. The Ignato are here as representatives of the Grand Coaliton. And our esteemed Aristocrat (that's his title, right, RD?)is here as a representative of Sanctuary. I have some idea of what I may do, but first I would like Valineth to say what she hopes to accomplish to achieve her throne.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 01:29 PM
Syana Ignato took a seat at the table where the other leaders had gathered. This was her first time to the north, the first time for any Ignato to see the land of Bordeux. It was a beautiful, if somewhat colder land. The castles and keeps were however magnificent and it was clear to her that the Union still prospered even after the death of Umajin and disappearance of the Primarch.

This would also be her first time speaking face to face with the Queen of the Heartwaste. She had sent a letter, likely what had secured her this invitation, and her father had spoken with her mother before his passing. It would certainly be an interesting conversation, considering her desires and the matters of the states but she would let that come in due time. For now she simply waited for the Heartwaste Queen to begin the conference's topic of discussion after the introductions by Lord Cedrik.

Silverbit
2014-04-07, 01:42 PM
Tuthin of the Unbroken Line Clan took a seat. This would be his last conference; although he was the youngest of the three sons of Razkai I, he had led a hard life of travelling, wearing him down prematurely.

He wore a light ornamental shirt of Mithril mail, and a circlet of steel set with amber.

Morph Bark
2014-04-07, 06:43 PM
"Thank you," Valineth speaks as she rises, dressed in a modest Bordeusi dress she received earlier during her visit to the country. "My lords, Empress, I stand before you with the wish that I might reclaim my homeland's throne as its rightful ruler. My aunt was its greatest queen, and my mother after her. Now the claim falls to me, but my father apparently has seen fit to throw it to the wolves before he abducted my mother and brother and spirited away to lands unknown, presumably chasing after the Yorukuninin aristocrats. The Throne of Thorns belongs to me by right, and I hope you will grant me your support to acquire it." She gives a short bow and moves some of her long silvery hair out of her eyes, brushing it behind a pointed ear. She needed help of at the very least one of these rulers if she were to lay claim with success.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 07:32 PM
"And what of the land of your father? Sanctuary? Tekorvan and Yorukuni? You have a claim to them as well do you not? My father spoke with your mother before the conflict with the Salterri and it was communicated to him that your mother laid claim to all three regions. Would you not by birth right have them as well?" The Empress said, her dark eyes curious.

"I understand you may not wish to gain more than the Heartwaste throne, but long has conflict boiled over that particular throne and longer still has mortal wreaked vengeance on those perceived as traitors. If you wrested the Heartwastes from your father's hand but left him free I wonder what he or his heirs in Sanctuary might do in retaliation. Doubtless it would not be good, especially if they waited until your reign had passed. You sit at a crux of power capable of taking both seats for yourself with a fair claim to each. The Tekorvan were guided by the Yorukun, but with their disappearance they are lost. You could be the one to guide them and ensure stability in all three realms."

Rain Dragon
2014-04-07, 07:55 PM
Aristocrat Akira Baakin slips his long, pale green almost white hair behind his ear and focusses his intense orange gaze upon the Empress of Ignato.
"You speak of treachery here, Ally of Sanctuary, Empress Syana Ignato. To install one who has not been proven to be the best for Sanctuary. Has she even been through the Labyrinth of Nykta? I know not and find it unlikely."

He wipes a little sweat from his massive brow and sighs, bowing deeply to the parties he feels he offended. "If possible, please excuse my rudeness. I came here to assist Valineth with what is hers by birthright."

Baakin looks around in search of a cool drink.

To reiterate, that means Silverbit, Quinton, Morph, and RD. RD does still follow this thread, right?

(that's his title, right, RD?)[/COLOR]

Yes 'n' yes.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 08:10 PM
"I speak only out of ignorance Aristocrat. It was my understanding Valineth was heir to Sanctuary and the Heartwaste. As I said, it was her mother who corresponded with my father when he sent to speak to our ally Sanctuary. Yet now it seems Sanctuary as it was, does not exist, or is clearly split. Regions fall to the Elders in Tekorva and they turn them over like a bad hand of cards to whoever may stake a claim on them. I would question whether your trials are working in procuring able leaders," Syana's voice was calm, but her gaze was hard. It was a stark contrast to her father's diplomacy.

"Perhaps you might enlighten me as to the Lady Valineth's birthright? She is a potential heir to Sanctuary in whole, correct? Including Tekorva, Yorukun, and the Heartwaste? Has she been allowed to compete in your trials of wit? From my understanding your latest Elder, or is it Emperor, is styling himself in a way that seems quite desperate and mad."

Lord_Burch
2014-04-07, 08:33 PM
Before we continue on, I will support Valineth's claim, with or without the approval of Sanctuary, or perhaps with any of you attending. My stance is thus: Valineth may be married to my nephew, Aaron, by brother Anton's son. In exchange, I will support her rule- I will send two thousand of my own troops to secure her throne from any who oppose her. The Heartwaste will become a tributary state of Bordeux, and it will be considered one and the same as my own country. I will see an attack on her as an attack on my own person, and respond accordingly. I will not, however, in any way support her taking the throne of Sanctuary. If she chooses to pursue that path, then that is her prerogative, but I will neither help nor hinder her efforts in that regard.

Rain Dragon
2014-04-07, 08:38 PM
"The marriage pact formed with Heartwaste many, many years ago included a clause which stated that no Elder of Tekorva may sit upon the Throne of Thorns and no heir to the Throne of Thorns may rule Tekorva. Valineth should now be the Thorn Queen of Heartwaste, a nation of Sanctuary however not only did Elder Kuramkesh step up to the throne without undergoing a Battle of Wits with his surviving kin he has the nerve to believe he may take this right away from the Thorn Queen. Thus, I see no reason why it would not be for the good of Sanctuary were Thorn Queen Valineth to Battle against Elder Kuramkesh... Though imagine how the people would react. If nothing else, Elder Kuramkesh has helped stabilize Sanctuary and yet another change in rulership may be all that's needed to spark a civil war."

Baakin passes a piece of paper to Empress Syana Ignato.

"As you can see on this map, the land which have been entrusted to others by Yuuhi the Mad were not truly part of the Ancient Fiefdom of Sanctuary. Of course, his actions are nonetheless... well mad but perhaps they were for the good of Sanctuary. Who am I to judge?"

EDIT - Oops. I'm slow

「After the announcement from Bordeux」

"I do not believe Sanctuary would support this endeavour, yet the Will of Elder Kuramkesh is unknowable to me." Baakin wonders why he invited in the first place.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 08:43 PM
Before we continue on, I will support Valineth's claim, with or without the approval of Sanctuary, or perhaps with any of you attending. My stance is thus: Valineth may be married to my nephew, Aaron, by brother Anton's son. In exchange, I will support her rule- I will send two thousand of my own troops to secure her throne from any who oppose her. The Heartwaste will become a tributary state of Bordeux, and it will be considered one and the same as my own country. I will see an attack on her as an attack on my own person, and respond accordingly. I will not, however, in any way support her taking the throne of Sanctuary. If she chooses to pursue that path, then that is her prerogative, but I will neither help nor hinder her efforts in that regard.

"She may be married to your nephew?" Syana smiled, "Not only that but she is allowed to be a tributary state? I had heard tales of your generosity Lord Cedrik, but to see it in action is more than I could hope for. I myself, have no place to say what the Lady Valineth may or may not do as you seem to my Lord as I believe it is a decision that falls to her ultimately. I speak for myself, the Treatise Elemental, and the Triumvirate however when I assure the Lady Valineth that whether you allow yourself to be bound to Bordeux or not you shall not be interfered with by the parties I represent. So too do I believe pursuit in securing both your birth rights to be prudent matters. Again, the ultimate decision is yours, not mine nor our gracious Lord host's and I shall respect whatever you choose."

"The marriage pact formed with Heartwaste many, many years ago included a clause which stated that no Elder of Tekorva may sit upon the Throne of Thorns and no heir to the Throne of Thorns may rule Tekorva. Valineth should now be the Thorn Queen of Heartwaste, a nation of Sanctuary however not only did Elder Kuramkesh step up to the throne without undergoing a Battle of Wits with his surviving kin he has the nerve to believe he may take this right away from the Thorn Queen. Thus, I see no reason why it would not be for the good of Sanctuary were Thorn Queen Valineth to Battle against Elder Kuramkesh... Though imagine how the people would react. If nothing else, Elder Kuramkesh has helped stabilize Sanctuary and yet another change in rulership may be all that's needed to spark a civil war."

Baakin passes a piece of paper to Empress Syana Ignato.

"As you can see on this map, the land which have been entrusted to others by Yuuhi the Mad were not truly part of the Ancient Fiefdom of Sanctuary. Of course, his actions are nonetheless... well mad but perhaps they were for the good of Sanctuary. Who am I to judge?"

"Ah, interesting," Syana mused, looking at the paper and listening to the Tekorvan Aristocrat, "These are interesting politics indeed. Well then, it seems our Lady Valineth has right enough the same as Kuramkesh to take control of Sanctuary, as neither have completed the trials. What might come of Lady Valineth completing the trials and taking control through legitimate claim, as the oath to keep the thrones separate has already been broken?"

Lord_Burch
2014-04-07, 08:48 PM
Of course it is her decision, and my intentions poorly worded, but I see that you are not offering your help, either. I also know that my friend the regent of Ashenia, Idrisa, is claiming the Throne of Thorns by a marriage. I alone here have the influence to sway her decision to not oppose your ascension, Princess.

So everyone's aware, I won't be posting probably till this time tomorrow.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 08:53 PM
Of course it is her decision, and my intentions poorly worded, but I see that you are not offering your help, either. I also know that my friend the regent of Ashenia, Idrisa, is claiming the Throne of Thorns by a marriage. I alone here have the influence to sway her decision to not oppose your ascension, Princess.

Syana nodded politely, "Certainly, words can be tricky beasts. I'm certain you meant no offense. I did not offer help for you to lay claim to her rule. That does not mean I would not offer help along other paths. Princess Valineth's mother was the Queen of the Heartwaste, I'm unsure what marriage claims my mother in law might hold, but they would indeed need to be strong ones to break that. It is not my wish to sow discord, only to ensure the fairest situation is arrived at, for all involved."

Morph Bark
2014-04-08, 06:57 AM
"Excuse me," Valineth interjected, overwhelmed by the rapidfire wit of more experienced rulers. She was only yet 16, and felt small in the presence of rulers who held thrice the amount of lands the Throne of Thorns ever had, and who had personally seen war and intrigue already. "As the Aristocrat mentioned, the marriage contract between my father and mother meant that I could never lay claim to Sanctuary, nor could my brother Ameneschi sit upon the Throne of Thorns. I do not know whether my brother Kuramkesh could, as the wording of the contract is typically Yorukun, with a confusing precision likely only their vanished Aristocracy could properly explain. I could neither verify whether he has taken the Battle of Wits or not, but as our brother has left Sanctuary with my father I cannot say. I am the only other one eligible for the test, with possibly my cousin Haruka. However, while family, she by birth belongs to the Earthguard family that rules the Hurosha Empire. I therefore am certain she would not be eligible for the test either."

She took a deep breath and looked at Lord Cedrik. "While I may have claim to Sanctuary as well, I shall not press it until it's certain that my brother defied ancient Sanctuary laws and rules in a manner like my father did in his last years. The Yorukuninin Aristocracy's disappearance hit my father hard and may well have affected my brother as well. Tekorvan blood is stronger in him than it is in me." She smiled. "Luckily dwarven blood isn't strong enough in me either to grow a beard."

Valineth swallowed in preparation for the harder part. "Lord Cedrik, I thank you for your hospitality and your generosity. I will meet with your nephew Aaron and any other eligible bachelors you may wish me to meet. However, I cannot accept a tributary status for the Heartwaste. Due to the volatile nature and the precious resources it has, I can at most accept status as a protectorate and send you supplies of stone and precious gems, and offer aid in non-military projects."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 12:20 PM
Syana smiled at the young Heartwaste Queen sympathetically as she spoke. The poor girl, a decade her junior, was embroiled in an intense political juggling contest. Not only was her age working against her, she was also the product of a troubled and volatile land. While the Ignato Empire may have been in every war across Telluris its sovereign soil had remained unbloodied and Syana had benefited from education and experience that this young woman had been denied. She was glad to hear the girl would not roll over so easily to Lord Cedrik's demands. It was not a wish to see Bordeux weakened, her youngest brother was to be engaged to the Lord's youngest daughter at the Second Grand Ball after all, but turning the poor girl into a puppet was neither honorable nor something she wagered the Coalition would much care for. Peace with Union had been on a pleasant path, but if the Heartwaste suddenly rose in the middle as a Union ward state... She didn't want to think what might happen to the fragile balance.

"Rightful Queen Valineth, I would wager our Tekorvan Aristocratic friend may be able to enlighten us on whether or not your brother Kuramkesh has or has not extended himself beyond the allowable law. If he has and you could make claim for the throne of Sanctuary as he has already attempted against your Throne of Thorns you could claim self defense, unification, and the desire to guide the nations of your mother and father to a brighter future. If you take care to follow Tekorvan rites you would even lay claim likely without much incidence from the Tekorvan Aristocracy. As I mentioned, Kuramkesh has by all appearances broken the agreed oath to not seek both thrones, it is moot to stand by it now, and if you could reasonably and peacefully claim the territories of Sanctuary and the Heartwaste you would not need the Lord Cedrik's or any other's protection. Sanctuary possesses a respectable army and you seem a level headed and intelligent leader. Under your hand peace might be maintained. If you would choose this path I might offer support for your claim to both thrones should you need it and I would ask nothing in return. Sanctuary is my ally and I would see it preserved as much as it can be after giving away such valuable territories and have it led by the most capable as is tradition, something Kuramkesh has proved himself not to be."

Rain Dragon
2014-04-08, 06:43 PM
Reflexively, Baakin stroked his beard. Indeed, it was strange Valineth showed not even the barest hint of a beard though he said nothing. It was also strange that, as Valineth stated, there was no other candidate for the Battle of Wits. Conveniently it would seem all others descended from the First belong to another empire or have run away.

Could this perhaps be an elaborate Yorukunin plot?

His thoughts interrupted for now, he answers the Empress' question, "I can only confirm by hearsay whereas Valineth likely has access to the contract itself, which my mother Akira Sakuranbo assisted in writing when she was very young. In fact, if she hadn't assisted in writing the contract I would not have heard any of the details at all. Certain though I am, my certainty counts for naught."

Bowing slightly to Valineth, Baakin speaks humbly in Formal Speech, "Though all the same, you should perhaps research more of the Yorukuninin's confusing precision as it would assist you in ruling the Heartwaste. Though the Yorukuninin themselves were... not the best of people one has to admit they knew their politics."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 06:55 PM
"So this contract is not even then readily available public knowledge?" Syana said a bit surprised, "If that is the case Queen Valineth, you need only perform the Battle of Wits, as I suspect according what our Tekorvan friend has stated, was not done by Kuramkesh. If you completed it successfully it sounds as if you would have a stronger claim than Kuramkesh to the throne in Sanctuary and clearly the Throne of Thorns."

Syana turned to the Tekorvan Aristocrat, "I hope you do not take my words for treason against Sanctuary, it is only that I wish to see rightful rule reestablished in my ally's land, and this seems the clearest way. This Elder-Emperor Kuramkesh seems brash, impulsive, and unwise. I see before me a young woman who with time and experience could be a wonderful ruler and I would feel a fool if I did not support her in pursuing her full rule and maintained independence."

Lord_Burch
2014-04-08, 07:42 PM
Princess Valineth, I could not, in good conscience, assist you in reclaiming your throne in exchange for stone and gems. I already have stone in abundance, and gems I can not find a use for. Even by meeting you, I risk much. The fact that I even thought of assisting you will surely bring Idrisa's ire, and likely that of the Coalition as well. The best offer that you can make to me is a protectorate status, in exchange for Bloodfire for Bordeux and Ashenia. I will convince Idrisa to remove her claim, and, if you choose to pursue the throne of Sanctuary, I will assist you, in any manner not endangering to my nation. I will also, at your request, send my own royal engineers to improve the facilities for any resource you would require. The Heartwaste, as I am sure you are aware, is a volatile place, in more ways than one. I cannot help you in exchange for anything less than Bloodifre, even if I wish to.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 08:09 PM
Syana listened to Lord Cedrik's speech bemusedly. Still he tried to get her to accept becoming his ward and demanding her most valuable resource. After the offer Syana had made she couldn't imagine the Queen choosing his, but it was ultimately her decision to make. No doubt the Lord Cedrik greatly regretted inviting Syana, and she knew she would need to speak with the Lord after this meeting concluded. Hopefully when she explained fully her reasoning he might understand, for now though, her attention focused on the young Heartwaste Queen to hear her reaction.

Rain Dragon
2014-04-08, 08:40 PM
"Of course not. Why would it be available to 'the general public'? Why would a peasant be able to see more than I, and why would I be able to see more than the Family of Elders?" Baakin managed to keep an even tone, though most of the niceties had left his words. "What's more, the Battle of Wits is not something to be 'completed' or 'passed'. It is a competition between those decended from the First. Indeed, it is one of our most ancient traditions dating before Tekorva itself was formed. Elder Kuramkesh would also have to participate. Though your intentions may seem for the betterment of Sanctuary as a whole, what if Kuramkesh were to win?" Baakin raises an eyebrow at the Empress. Surely Valineth realizes what would happen were she to lose...

At the mention of Bloodfire, it took everything Akira Baakin had not to roll his eyes.

The foreigners. Jealous of our resources as ever, all they want is the Bloodfire from a land that has little else. What does Heartwaste gain by supplying Bloodfire to the man in control of Crima? What does Heartwaste gain by supplying Bloodfire to the Ashenite Kingdoms, one of the largest if not the largest in the world? A miniscule army and the promise of protection from halfway across the known world?

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 09:19 PM
Syana said nothing in regards to the Tekorvans insisting on an opaqueness to government. Certainly some things should be reserved, but the way in which an heir would be determined? It seemed likely to confuse and anger people if they knew not who their next leader was to be.

"Yes, Elder Kuramkesh would be just as viable to participate in the Battle of Wits, though he clearly chose not to before so would it not be possible for Queen Valineth to participate solely and should she emerge successfully have stronger claim than the current Elder? Even if they both compete I have full confidence in this young Queen that she shall defeat the current Elder. If she does not, then Kuramkesh will retain control of all three regions and we then may only pray he does not run them into the ground. Queen Valineth, if you face Kuramkesh your brother in the Battle of Wits and win you will save countless of Heartwaste lives and lives within Sanctuary. If you choose only to pursue the Heartwaste I do not doubt Kuramkesh will seek to attack and reconquer your land. Face him in this Battle of Wits. Let the ancient tradition hold and seek the peace of both nations by attaining these thrones by right."

Rain Dragon
2014-04-08, 09:48 PM
"Who would she battle against if not Elder Kuramkesh? It is known she is a child of Heartwaste, just as Haruka is a child of the Hurosha Empire. Were she to compete against herself and wander up saying 'I am surely the Greatest Intelligence of the Family of Elders and thus should rule Sanctuary' I highly doubt it would result in her becoming the Ruler of Sanctuary."

((OOC - What? No, the fact the firstborn of the family belong to Heartwaste and can't rule Sanctuary is known, but the rest of it is a bit blurry thanks to High Prince Yuuh... I mean the Yorukunin Aristocracy.))

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 10:19 PM
"Ah, it is a direct battle then, forgive my ignorance. Neither I nor my father had much time to get to know Sanctuary's rituals better before it began dissolving. In any event, my words stand. Queen Valineth, if you compete and defeat Kuramkesh you can save the lives of thousands within all regions and maintain your independence. If you seek only the Throne of Thorns you risk attack from your brother in Sanctuary and suffer a weakened position that might be exploited by those desiring the Heartwaste's unique resources." Syana said, careful not to look at Lord Cedrik in her final sentence.

If only the Lord could play patiently he might yet get his bloodfire, but since she could not communicate with him privately until the conclusion of this conference she doubted he would go along with the maintained independence of Sanctuary and the Heartwaste. Syana had to hope Valineth would make the decision she had proposed, it was wisest for all present and discussed, and though it carried risk of her losing the Battle of Wits it was no more dangerous than breaking away from her brother in an unclean separation.

((OOC: I thought the Battle of wits was a trial where they dumped folks into the labyrinth and whoever came back/got back first won. My B.))

Rain Dragon
2014-04-09, 03:27 AM
((OOC - Nah, it's totally fine and I understand the confusion completely.

Yuuhi 「the first ruler change of Sanctuary/Tekorva ingame」 somehow managed to have the Battle of Wits be carried out using the Labyrinth of Nykta 「there's no really set method for a Battle of Wits, though they're usually dangerous if not outright lethal if you don't keep your wits about you」 and of course he was better prepared by the Yorukuninin themselves and emerged out the other side much faster and in slightly better shape than Kokuei 「Kokuei is/was a very cool Huntress」. The Labyrinth of Nykta is the Yorukunin Rites of Adulthood taken when a Yorukuninin reaches 40 years old 「they live to a little over 200 years on average」. My stuff is really confusing, ne? :smallyuk:))

EDIT - Confusing wording

Morph Bark
2014-04-09, 05:16 PM
Valineth took a deep breath, before locking eyes with Lord Cedrik. He wasn't making this easy for her, but luckily one of the others present was a great aid. "Then I'm sorry Lord Cedrik, but if you will only offer me your support under those conditions, I cannot accept. As Empress Syana Ignato appears to support me for both the Heartwaste and Sanctuary unconditionally, whereas you ask for heavy terms, I must go with her support. However, should you support me, I shall send you resources as gifts from all lands under my rule for as long as I hold the throne. If Ashenia drops their support for Varel in favour of me, I shall even give the Union the plate armour of the Tekorvans. Of course," She turned to Empress Syana, "the Ignato Empire will not be overlooked. As you are a military power, I shall grant you the plate armour as well, and aid in non-military ventures."

She looked around, deciding to hold off on her big announcement just a bit. "Aristocrat Akira Baakin. If I go into Kyomet now, I do not know what my brother might do. However, he will not be able to ignore my challenge to him to perform the Battle of Wits if I do several things first. I plan to venture through the Labyrinth of Nikta, hunt the flaying snowcloak terrors near Vagon and pass the trial of riddles and daggers. Thus I will show that I have passed the tests the three previous Elders have, showing my capability and giving strength to my claim. However, to make that meaningful at all, I will need the people to hear of it, so I would like to ask you to be present and arrange several others drawn from the Tekorvan and Yorukun estates to be present when I take these tests."

She gave the Aristocrat a nod to urge him to agree to that request, her resolve and confidence in her plan strengthened by her own words already. "Finally--and this is one reason I cannot accept your current terms, Lord Cedrik--I plan to rid the Heartwaste of the source of its conflicts. The Bloodfire springs will be sealed for the safety of my people and the Eyrecradians below. As they are now subjects of the Razdissi Mormaer, who is also the Sulvan Primarch, I'm sure you will like to hear the kinsmen of your allies are being kept safe. Lord Cedrik, my terms are thus: you support my claim, and in return shall recieve ample resources from all regions under my rule. I will marry an eligible man from among your relatives of my choosing. If Ashenia and my uncle Varel support my claim as well I will send you plate armour technology and strengthen ties to both the Bordeux Concordat and the Kingdom of Ashenia by sending the heirs of high-ranking families within the Heartwaste, Yorukuni and Tekorva to study at your schools and marry people of your soil and kin. We enter an alliance of support in which you leverage your military might and I will provide aid in all non-military matters, including greatly accelerating a project of your choosing. I will enter a similar alliance with the Ignato Empire if Empress Syana will allow it, so that no strife need come of it between both your mighty nations. I will further not raise more than three thousand troops in each of the regions under my control, to ensure neither of you will feel threatened by my country's presence, and to ensure you all that my intention is one of might, but not military might. Do you accept these terms?"

(iirc, Varel is her uncle. If the precise terms are a bit unclear here, I can set them up in a more formal like document, but since it's not completely decided yet and they need time to compose it, that felt hasty to put it up here already.)

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 06:38 PM
Syana felt vindicated in her trust in the young Heartwaste Queen as she spoke, she was yet young, but wiser than most. Closing off the Bloodfire vents was a stroke of inspiration. Even her continued attempts to work with Bordeux were wise. Spreading herself to be tied into all major powers was a good move for her, though Syana worried it might lead to conflict down the road with her heirs, it was a solution for the time being. There was so much to be said it took every bit of diplomatic training Syana had to restrain herself. First she would need to hear Lord Cedrik's acceptance or declination before she made any further statements. She did however allow herself a crisp, sharp smile at the Heartwaste girl, informing her that she approved of most of what the young queen had just proposed.

Lord_Burch
2014-04-09, 06:50 PM
Pausing for a moment to gather himself, I will agree to your terms, on two simple conditions. The first that, should you seek a husband here, that you do not seek one with my eldest son, Aris. Such a marriage would be problematic for all involved. The second is that, should you require military might, I will match whatever troops the Empress sends, as long as they do not exceed two thousand men. I do have my own war to fight, remember. Of course, I assume that military might will be, by and large, unnecessary- Sanctuary will not accept you by military might alone, but by winning the Battle, and if Varel will not challenge you, you should have no problems reclaiming the Heartwaste. I will speak to Idrisa on your behalf, then, but I make no promises to what she may decide.

Morph Bark
2014-04-09, 07:17 PM
Valineth bowed before Lord Cedrik with a bit of a blush. She had seen Aris several times in the palace and had found him to be not unpleasant to the eye, to say the least of it. "I thank you, Lord. However, you need not worry for now. The military might I ask of you to support me is not for me to acquire the throne, but should my country ever have need for defense against invading armies. Your might is much more powerful than my country could ever offer, after all, and while I will seek reconciliation with the Sympol my father so ungracefully scorned in an act of betrayal--I know they have already joined the Ashenian and Ignato forces against the Salterri--there may yet be enemies further ahead. Should the Salterri prove troubling even after I have taken the throne, I will aid you, militarily even, against them. This is sadly the only military support I can offer you, for war is a burden I wish my people not to carry, but if I can ease your worries with that single promise, I shall make it."

She pulled out a dagger made of brass and walked over to Lord Cedrik as it lay in her hands. "I know it is not your custom, nor is it mine, but the Guilderenes who value bronze seem to cherish giving bronze swords as token of allegiance. I offer you this, and while I know you cannot speak for Crown Regent Idrisa, I offer it to her as well."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 07:20 PM
"I agree with the Lord Cedrik, I do not believe military might will bode well as an opener. Taking the thrones through legitimate means and by completing the Battle of Wits is the wisest course of action. You should however take assurances given by myself and the Lord Cedrik pledging the support we have promised so that your brother will not seek to raise military might against you. I also encourage you to speak to the Doge of Guilder as you travel, he is a loyal ally of my nation and in our previous correspondences before this meeting had him pledge to support the decision I came to after leaving. As that is one of support for your rule I shall write him promptly so that he might know and you might have him as an ally close by to talk with."

"Now, in regards to your offers for plate armor and marriage, I can accept neither. I have already entered agreement with Guilder to receive the miracle of plate armor technology and with myself married to the Ashene Regent's son, my brother set to marry our Lord Cedrik's young daughter, and my own children only just beginning their schooling I regret I have none that might be eligible. Further, I do not wish to risk conflict with Bordeux or Ashenia over inheritance of the wealthy houses of the Heartwaste," she smiled softly, intimating a joke where there was in truth only partly one.

If you wish to repay me, though I have done nothing beyond support my ally Sanctuary as best as I see myself able to, marry one of your children into the family of the Guilderene Doge. I have heard rumor my cousin, Yelfis herself married to the fine Guilderene nobility, is with child, and I'm certain Humperdink has a wide variety of others to choose from, prolific as the Guilderene Princes and Princesses are. Beyond that I hope only that the alliance between my nation and Sanctuary might remain intact, though perhaps changes regarding military assistance will be warranted seeing your new path towards less military developments. If you shall be free, and your trials against your brother a success as I believe they shall be, I would be honored for you to join my nation and all others who so choose to attend at the upcoming Grand Ball so that we might fully and solidly lay out an amicable arrangement. For now you have promised, if need be, my soldiers in reclaiming your thrones but before that even you have my prayers that you will not need them."

Lord_Burch
2014-04-09, 08:03 PM
Bowing his head, I accept your gift, Queen. Thank you. And in return, I have my own to present to you... Pulling from a pouch sewn into the inside of his cloak, he removes the velvet covering off of a small object, revealing a beautiful brooch. It portrays a set of gold, outspread wings, with silver thorns intertwined with them. A gift, from one ruler to another. And after this, Syana and Valineth, I have one more thing to discuss with you both.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 08:08 PM
Syana nodded at the Bordeux Lord in acknowledgement. In her pocket weighed a platinum chain with an amber pendant but she would wait to present it to the Heartwaste Queen until after the conclusion of whatever it was Lord Cedrik wished to discuss.

((OOC: You want to have a time skip that's the three of us and spoiler it in this thread?))

Rain Dragon
2014-04-09, 08:17 PM
"Aristocrat Akira Baakin. If I go into Kyomet now, I do not know what my brother might do. However, he will not be able to ignore my challenge to him to perform the Battle of Wits if I do several things first. I plan to venture through the Labyrinth of Nykta, hunt the flaying snowcloak terrors near Vagon and pass the trial of riddles and daggers. Thus I will show that I have passed the tests the three previous Elders have, showing my capability and giving strength to my claim. However, to make that meaningful at all, I will need the people to hear of it, so I would like to ask you to be present and arrange several others drawn from the Tekorvan and Yorukun estates to be present when I take these tests."

Baakin nods politely, in Formal Speech saying, "It will be done."

A mad fool though she is, it should be entertaining to watch her die.

OOC BELOW

Well stuff happened while I slept I guess. ^^

Sheesh Lord_Burch, the flattery in the OOC thread. O.o

/Jion sips his tea.
What now?

Lord_Burch
2014-04-09, 08:19 PM
Syana nodded at the Bordeux Lord in acknowledgement. In her pocket weighed a platinum chain with an amber pendant but she would wait to present it to the Heartwaste Queen until after the conclusion of whatever it was Lord Cedrik wished to discuss.

((OOC: You want to have a time skip that's the three of us and spoiler it in this thread?))

((OOC: Sure, that works fine.))

Before you depart for your homes, I have troubling news to share. Shortly before our meeting, my head clerk, Archére, brought to my attention that a man came seeking you, Valineth. He identified himself as an ambassador from Wenvayeuk and demanded to speak with you, at once. While normally, my guards would not detain a man such as this as the palace gates, the method with which he came was... Strange, by their report. He himself was fairly well dressed, but had three thuggish looking men with him- one of which my guards identified as a known criminal associate. He also tried to enter by a side door, not at the customary front gates. Anyway, when they denied him entrance, he first tried to bribe them and then quickly grew hostile. He ordered the thugs to assault my guards. While they were able to kill two of the thugs and capture another, the supposed ambassador himself escaped. My men are searching for him- and I fully expect to find him- but I wanted to warn you of a potential threat to your life, possibly from Wenvayeuk, although it is much more likely that there is an unknown enemy to your throne.

EDIT: ((OOC: Well, it was just one word. And in my opinion, you did write the best fluff around.))

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 08:39 PM
"I have known the Wenvayeuk to be a peaceful people, not prone to violence. I suspect you are true in doubting this man's true purpose and origin Lord Cedrik. In any event it is my regret that I must insist upon you Queen Valineth my company and retinue of guards upon your return trip to the Heartwaste and then unto Sanctuary, we must see your safe arrival so that you might attempt the trials and lay claim to your thrones." Syana said, concern hidden behind her cool, collected mask.

OOC: Agreed, RD fluff is the best fluff.

Morph Bark
2014-04-10, 04:19 AM
It was odd to hear that the fiefdom of the northern frost known as Wenyavuk would be involved in something of that sort. Valineth considered it for a moment, but nodded. "It is possible such enemies may still lurk within the shadows. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Lord Cedrik." She looked over at the dwarven envoy Tuthin and couldn't stop herself quick enough from letting out a stifled giggle. It appeared the old dwarf had nodded off for a bit.

Well then, the table is yours, Lord_Burch. :smalltongue:

Valineth approached Syana after all the talking has been done and deals have been made. "Empress Ignato," she speaks softly, with a curtsey, "I wish to verify that it is not Wenyavuk I am up against in all this, for they are neighbours of the Tekorvans and long have traded we with them. Might I borrow one of your messengers to send them a request for clarification? If they are not my enemy in this matter, I may even be able to gather their support, which would prove vital in acquiring my throne."

Silverbit
2014-04-10, 06:23 AM
Tuthin abruptly jerked awake, after a somewhat unpleasant dream. Blinking slowly, he became aware that quite a lot of conversation had apparently passed him by.

"Hmmm… the Wenyavuk, you say? We Razdissi have always had good relations with them; it seems most unlikely that they'd be violent at all, unless you troubled their mammoths. This purported ambassador sounds like an interloper of the worst sort."

A discrete dwarven noble aide whispered to him the events of the conversation.

"As for the Heartwaste, I have made my decision. Valineth, you have the Razdissi, the Eyrecradians, the Sulvans and the Elbarazi behind you. You seem to have the safety of this most volatile of regions as your priority; damming the Bloodfire is the best idea I've heard in years. A queen needs a crown; though I'm sure you already possess one, behold the work of Razdissi artisans; it is yours, for as long as you and your line keep the peace in the Heartwaste."

Pulling himself up, Tuthin reaches into a satchel by his side and comes up with a shining and delicate Mithril circlet, set with amber.

Aahhg, sorry everyone, I mistakenly closed this tab and didn't notice. I've done that before. My bad. And I agree, Rain Dragon's fluff is really good.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-10, 11:15 AM
Valineth approached Syana after all the talking has been done and deals have been made. "Empress Ignato," she speaks softly, with a curtsey, "I wish to verify that it is not Wenyavuk I am up against in all this, for they are neighbours of the Tekorvans and long have traded we with them. Might I borrow one of your messengers to send them a request for clarification? If they are not my enemy in this matter, I may even be able to gather their support, which would prove vital in acquiring my throne."

"Of course Queen Valineth," Syana nodded her head, "I too doubt the involvement of the Wenyaveuk government proper, but it may be they know this man who sought to disrupt things here."

"Then it is decided," Syana said, "We shall all support Queen Valineth in her pursuit of the thrones of Sanctuary and the Heartwaste and she shall, upon her coronation, close off the Bloodfire vents forevermore."

After the two depart the Lord Cedrik's keep and gather the Ignato escort, dispatching a messenger to Wenyaveuk, Syana presents the platinum and amber necklace to the young queen.

"Young Queen Valineth, you are entering a volatile and violent sphere of the world in taking these thrones, but I will have you know you shall have mine and my allies support. I believe the Lord Cedrik when he says the same, but the Union has proved itself in the past to not be above trickery and deceit. I believe your safest path is also the most treacherous in walking the line between Union and Coalition but I would be wary of all sides. I believe Guilder may be trusted, as I so mentioned previously, so too do I trust the Empress of Hurosha and my fellow members of the Triumvirate, you must find for yourself a collection, small and trustworthy to call your closest allies. While I would be remiss if I did not suggest myself I urge you to look on my actions and the actions of others and decide for yourself who might or might not be trusted. It has taken my family three generations to determine who might be believed and relied upon, I fear you may not have that luxury of time."

"I had heard news prior to my arrival here of my ally in Kasumor pressing claim to the Tekorvan throne. I suggest in our travels we stop in to Kasumor so that I might speak with my ally and convince her your support is the better course."

SamBurke
2014-04-10, 12:48 PM
The following is an official letter from Guilder to Valineth.

To Queen Valineth,

May her reign last as long as she draws breath, and may her breath be longer than the ropes of many sailing ships. I, Humperdink, Doge of Guilder, have been informed that there is great danger in the instability of regions to the north. It is in the interest of peace and security that I write this missive, to be delivered to her by any means necessary.

As potentate of the Guilderene Expanses, I henceforth give my support to Queen Valineth's reign. There are several other nations pressing claims in the region, but I believe Valineth to have the best interest of the country truly at heart. Since that is the case, I formally give her my support, giving up the claim that I posses by treaty and security, in the better and higher interest of peace.

Be this known to all,
Signed,
Humperdink the Just,
Doge of Guilder, etc,etc,etc.