PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Prestige for the Ex-Cleric

Ionbound
2014-04-07, 01:39 PM
Related to my previous thread, I have another question. My character is an ex-cleric of Pelor who tragically became a vampire. So, mechanically speaking, I have a bunch of useless Cleric levels floating around, and I don't know what to do with them, other than go Defiant, but that has no casting progression, so...Any other things to do with them, preferably keeping my casting around?

Eldest
2014-04-07, 01:52 PM
Related to my previous thread, I have another question. My character is an ex-cleric of Pelor who tragically became a vampire. So, mechanically speaking, I have a bunch of useless Cleric levels floating around, and I don't know what to do with them, other than go Defiant, but that has no casting progression, so...Any other things to do with them, preferably keeping my casting around?

Is there a problem with keeping the cleric levels? You can still prepare spells as a vampire cleric.

Red Fel
2014-04-07, 01:59 PM
Eldest is correct. Unless you have also changed alignment to such a degree that your patron deity is no longer a fan, you're good to go as-is. Alternatively, this would be the perfect time to ask your DM (Deity Manager) if you could swap teams in favor of a more mosquito-friendly patron.

Or are you asking if you can somehow switch out of Cleric entirely?

iceman10058
2014-04-07, 02:00 PM
just pick a new diety that you want and find a way to get atonment cast then BAM! cleric levels are no longer useless. you may not even need to atone if u do the roleplay right.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-07, 02:35 PM
PHB2 page 193, Divine Conversion sidebar explains how a fallen cleric can change deities and regain class features.

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 07:59 PM
Eldest is correct. Unless you have also changed alignment to such a degree that your patron deity is no longer a fan, you're good to go as-is.

A NG god that hates undead will probably fit the bill of "no longer a fan" wen his cleric becomes an evil (vampires are automatically evil, right?) undead.

Eldest
2014-04-07, 08:17 PM
A NG god that hates undead will probably fit the bill of "no longer a fan" wen his cleric becomes an evil (vampires are automatically evil, right?) undead.

Vampire Clerics are their own thing. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) Your domains change to two of Chaos, Destruction, Trickery and Evil, and you play at dusk for spells instead of whenever it was. But that's the only real difference. (the dusk thing might have just been in my game)

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 08:19 PM
Right, but you phrased that as if this aforementioned biocentric deity had a chance of being totally cool with one of his servants turning into something he hated. Obviously, the vampire has new options available. But we can accept as a given that the old option is not.

Rubik
2014-04-07, 08:30 PM
Alternatively, this would be the perfect time to ask your DM (Deity Manager) if you could swap teams in favor of a more mosquito-friendly patron.i c wat u did thar

holywhippet
2014-04-07, 10:28 PM
Are they an ex-cleric because they became a vampire or did you stop being a cleric beforehand?

In theory you could always get raised from the dead to regain your former mortality. If you have enough cleric levels you could even do it yourself.

Grayson01
2014-04-07, 10:50 PM
Ur-Priest, and Retraining Per the PHB2?

VoxRationis
2014-04-07, 10:52 PM
That was my first thought. But Ur-priest doesn't do anything with those lost cleric levels, not to mention the whole "Piss off all the gods at once=poor survival strategy" thing.
Becoming a cleric of an evil deity sounds like a better idea.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-04-07, 10:53 PM
Assuming you don't want to switch deities and immediately regain your Cleric spellcasting, consider taking Athar from Dragon issue 287, p45. It's pretty much the same as Defiant, but at the third level it restores your divine spellcasting (granted by the great unknown) and it even gives 8/10 divine casting progression.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-07, 10:58 PM
If you want more fluff-based solutions, then I can think of two:

Drift Magic, Ss 49. Cast spells with the power of the waste.

Shadow Weave Magic, FRCS 37. Cast spells with the power of the shadow weave. You could argue that with this, Shar becomes the one granting you spells rather than your previous deity.

Otherwise, this situation seems like what Heretic of the Faith (PoF 46) was built for.

HammeredWharf
2014-04-08, 02:59 AM
You don't even have to switch to an evil deity, if your alignment didn't change. Yyou could start serving Heironeous or Kord or another good deity that doesn't hate undead.

MadGreenSon
2014-04-08, 03:17 AM
If you're a non-evil Vampire, the goddess Evening Glory from Libris Mortis is all about being undead forever, etc.

Unless you have not yet embraced your undeath.

If you have though, Evening Glory has a fun belief system that could be really creepy without being outright evil and could be a lot of fun to play with.

I think turning two young lovers into vampires would be a sacrament to that faith.:smalltongue:

Eldest
2014-04-08, 10:03 AM
That was my first thought. But Ur-priest doesn't do anything with those lost cleric levels, not to mention the whole "Piss off all the gods at once=poor survival strategy" thing.
Becoming a cleric of an evil deity sounds like a better idea.

An ur-priest compared to a god is a mosquito compared to an elephant. Don't make it out to be "the gods shall forever after hunt you down."