PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help for Drow Necro

skypse
2014-04-07, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone.

We have been talking for some time now with my group and our DM is thinking of writing a good vs evil campaign during summer. I was thinking of going to the evil group since I've always liked the flavor, so I figured I would make my favourite concept from other RPGs and create a Drow Necromancer. We can use only Pathfinder material, no 3rd party.

We are starting at lvl 5, 10.500 gold each and we can buy anything we like in there. I specifically asked my DM if I could craft my robe using Craft Wondrous Items as a feat and he said ok for the Robe of Bones (craft cost 1200) which leaves me with 9300 to go. From there I pick a Headband of vast Intelligence (4000), Quick runner's Shirt (1000), Cloak of resistance +1 (1000) and Ring of protection +1 (2000). The rest I used to buy gems and other stuff I'll need for my summons and spells. For feats I'm a bit confused cause I really like all the 1/day and at will spell-like abilities the Drow feet tree gives, but then I miss essential stuff for a wizard like Greater spell focus, Improved initiative and Defensive combat training. We start with a 25point buy (standar fantasy mode) and my stats are the following:

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 12 (10 base, -2 Racial, +4 points)
INT 18 (15 base, +1 lvl 4, +2 headband)
WIS 13
CHA 18 (16 base, +2 racial)

I rolled 28 hp, I have 11 SR and 13 AC, and 6 Initiative cause I got as a familiar the Compsognathus.

Feats are Craft Wondrous (to craft the robe), Drow Nobility, Improved/Greater Drow Nobility and Spell Focus (Necromancy).

At will SLA: Dancing Lights, Deeper Darkness,Detect Magic,Fearie Fire, Feather Fall, Levitate.

Also, as Opposition schools I chose Abjuration and Divination.

Necromancy power: Command Undead.

I would appreciate any kind of feedback either bad or good, and of course any advice you have to give me in order to change something on the character in general. Thank you in advance.

TL;DR
Need help with 5lvl Drow Necromancer. Evil campaign, 10.500 Gold. Only Pathfinder material, no 3rd party.

skypse
2014-04-08, 04:18 AM
BUMP!

No spam intended, I just really need some tips on it. Wizards are supposed to be one of the strongest classes if played correctly and I already know that I should focus more on the "Controlling" aspects instead of the nuking, but I could really use some pro's tips.

Theprettiestorc
2014-04-08, 09:07 AM
I believe you've got a pretty decent Wizard build there! That being said, I'd suggest investing in a Wand of Magic Missiles as well. You're not likely to get hit if you've got undead, but even if you are, a +1 AC isn't going to do much. However! Instead of a Ring of Protection +1, try a Bracers of Armor +1. It's 1k cheaper, and can easily be upgraded with your Craft Wondrous Item feat.

As above, the reason I suggest a wand of...well, at least a wand of some sort, is because you may want to keep some of your spells for utility purposes. Featherfall, Air Bubble, etc. It's hard to know what to do, and I'm not quite sure if those fall under Abjurations or nooot...? Anywho.

It's also good to use wands, and keep your spells handy as failsafes. If you put some Elemental Resistance or somesuch on yourself, and be ready for the guys rushing the caster, you could lay a fireball on top of yourself and not hurt yourself much at all. You're commanding and creating undead, though, which should at least help discourage that. Some spells should be kept for healing them, or draining life from some nutball who gets too close, or even some Color Spray for a quick escape! There's a lot you could do with this Wizard!

You've already countered half of my arguments with your Spell-like Abilities, though: Featherfall, and Levitate. Heck, even the Greater Darkness! You have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, and as long as you keep your sleeves big enough, you can be a major pain in the ass to the Good party.

grarrrg
2014-04-08, 09:52 AM
CON 12 (10 base, -2 Racial, +4 points)
INT 18 (15 base, +1 lvl 4, +2 headband)
WIS 13
CHA 18 (16 base, +2 racial)

Consider at least a dip into Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave).
Starting with the first level, you can add your CHA to your HP instead of your CON (does NOT apply to earlier levels).
Also, _all_ the levels count double towards how many undead you can control with Animate Dead (even the dead level counts double).

2nd level lets your mind-affecting spells still work on Undead.

3rd level lets you cast Desecrate 1/day, and any Undead you make are treated as having been made in a Desecrate area.

4th is a little stickier.
You get treated as Undead for Positive/Negative Energy.

5th can be quite handy though, you get to add a number of Off-List Necromancy spells to your spell list.

skypse
2014-04-08, 10:07 AM
I've checked Agent of the Grave but I don't get how spells work with that PrC... Ok let's say I become a Lich <3
I have countless immunities and resistance. Way tooooooo much hp for a wizard class and all but it says I lose my previous class levels. Which means I suddenly become a (let's say) 15 level Lich. What is my spell list? Do I get new spells when I level up? Do I even level up as a character? Or do I stay with the Saves, BAB, HD, skills and spells from the 15lvl Lich and that's it?
Also, isn't AotG 3rd party material? I can't seem to find him in Core, Advanced or Ultimate.

skypse
2014-04-08, 10:08 AM
I believe you've got a pretty decent Wizard build there! That being said, I'd suggest investing in a Wand of Magic Missiles as well. You're not likely to get hit if you've got undead, but even if you are, a +1 AC isn't going to do much. However! Instead of a Ring of Protection +1, try a Bracers of Armor +1. It's 1k cheaper, and can easily be upgraded with your Craft Wondrous Item feat.

As above, the reason I suggest a wand of...well, at least a wand of some sort, is because you may want to keep some of your spells for utility purposes. Featherfall, Air Bubble, etc. It's hard to know what to do, and I'm not quite sure if those fall under Abjurations or nooot...? Anywho.

It's also good to use wands, and keep your spells handy as failsafes. If you put some Elemental Resistance or somesuch on yourself, and be ready for the guys rushing the caster, you could lay a fireball on top of yourself and not hurt yourself much at all. You're commanding and creating undead, though, which should at least help discourage that. Some spells should be kept for healing them, or draining life from some nutball who gets too close, or even some Color Spray for a quick escape! There's a lot you could do with this Wizard!

You've already countered half of my arguments with your Spell-like Abilities, though: Featherfall, and Levitate. Heck, even the Greater Darkness! You have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, and as long as you keep your sleeves big enough, you can be a major pain in the ass to the Good party.

I'm thinking metamagic wands and amulet of fireballs but that's for later levels. As for the bracers, I didn't pick them cause I will get (even with the extra slot) Mage Armor eventually and those 2 don't stack. The deflection bonus from the ring however does, and I can upgrade it with the feat as well for a +2 or even more.

EDIT: I can always buy scrolls for the spells I need from the opposition schools so that isn't much of a pain for me.

Theprettiestorc
2014-04-08, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking metamagic wands and amulet of fireballs but that's for later levels. As for the bracers, I didn't pick them cause I will get (even with the extra slot) Mage Armor eventually and those 2 don't stack. The deflection bonus from the ring however does, and I can upgrade it with the feat as well for a +2 or even more.

EDIT: I can always buy scrolls for the spells I need from the opposition schools so that isn't much of a pain for me.

You're thinking Rods - I was thinking a Wand of Magic Missiles. It's an investment, but it'd have fifty charges.

grarrrg
2014-04-08, 11:17 PM
I've checked Agent of the Grave but I don't get how spells work with that PrC... Ok let's say I become a Lich <3
I have countless immunities and resistance. Way tooooooo much hp for a wizard class and all but it says I lose my previous class levels. Which means I suddenly become a (let's say) 15 level Lich. What is my spell list? Do I get new spells when I level up? Do I even level up as a character? Or do I stay with the Saves, BAB, HD, skills and spells from the 15lvl Lich and that's it?

Currently, becoming a Lich is entirely up to your DM, there is no official ruling on how to become a Lich, or what that actually entails.
I'd forget about it for now. The rest of the PrC is perfectly suitable as-is.

Also, isn't AotG 3rd party material? I can't seem to find him in Core, Advanced or Ultimate.

Everything on the PFsrd has the source listed at the bottom of the entry.
Go to the Agent of the Grave page.
Scroll to just past the "Undeath Initiate" ability.
It says "Pathfinder Adventure Path #45: Broken Moon"
So it is 1st party, but from non-main book.

Also, many things that are 3rd party will have a little "3rd party" logo near the top.

skypse
2014-04-09, 07:51 AM
Currently, becoming a Lich is entirely up to your DM, there is no official ruling on how to become a Lich, or what that actually entails.
I'd forget about it for now. The rest of the PrC is perfectly suitable as-is.

Everything on the PFsrd has the source listed at the bottom of the entry.
Go to the Agent of the Grave page.
Scroll to just past the "Undeath Initiate" ability.
It says "Pathfinder Adventure Path #45: Broken Moon"
So it is 1st party, but from non-main book.

Also, many things that are 3rd party will have a little "3rd party" logo near the top.

He said that we can't take stuff from the "Path" books cause they are out for specific campaigns. So AotG is out of the question anyway. I think I'm good with what I have right now. This is my character @lvl 5 right now and I'm quite good with him. I have one last question that I need to clarify. My character has Levitate at will as a SLA so I was thinking of following this path in fights:

round 1 Levitate standar action, raise myself to 20 feet above ground as a move action.
round 2 Cast Deeper Darkness as a standar action, move my spectral hand (already summoned) as a move action.

I have the following questions though: let's say a rogue sneaks behind me while I'm up in the air. I'm 20 feet high which means my legs are about 15 feet above his head. Can he make an acrobatics jump check and sneak attack me? (I find it logical that there is no other way to get hit by melee attacks while I'm up there).
If yes, what is the DC for that? Levitate spell says that in order to attack with a weapon when levitated you take -1 penalty for each attack you make up there (-2 on the 2nd one and so on). Will the rogue take that penalty?

Second scenario: A rogue/fighter/Insert_Melee_Character comes and tries to Jump and use the Drag combat maneuvre. What's his penalty for the whole action? (If he can do it at all. I don't know if you can make Acrobatics check and attack/use CM on the same round)